2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Fantasy Epic, Cyberpunk, (Para)Military, Zombie Survival, Dystopic
french-troops-battle-verdun-fleury.jpg

So one of the main ways I get inspiration, either to simply update my muse, or to add to my considerable character pool, is to look up images online based on themes I like, and find characters I like from the results. On occasion, this inspires me to detail a character, which can inspire inquest and research. After having heavily researched aviation and armament in WWI, I now want to do a Steampunk-esque RLAU for the Great War.

In the proposed RLAU, The Great War is mostly untouched, as I intend for the general history of it to be the same - the war starts with the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, and ends with the defeat of the Central Powers and the Geneva and Hague Conventions. What I want to add, however, is some ideas that fit it closer to Steampunk.

For example. Our characters, whichever side they're on, will be, at least by the end of the war, heroes. A small amount of science fiction is to be inserted so as to make the plot more interesting and survivable, as well as some liberties with the actual history - for example, women will be accepted. Of course, when two players end up facing off, either one will die, or the winner can pull a Manfred von Richthofen and, not only spare the opponent, but also issue them a sort of 3-in-1 greeting/taunt/farewell (in the Red Baron's case, waving at a pilot he had downed).

Either way, this is something that'll be rather easy to pull off, so long as we have players on all fronts - Americans, Brits, Italians, Austro-Hungarians, Germans, and Ottomans, as well as infantry, armor crews, naval soldiers, and pilots.

But most of all, what I need in this Interest Check, is ideas on how to balance it in favor of the player, while keeping it even between players. Some ideas I had were to make bullets survivable by players if mitigated, and immunity to disease, infection, and the caustic properties of mustard gas (although they'll still have to mask up to survive). Additionally, I'm looking for any ideas to temper the genre closer to Steampunk without completely ruining the historical feel.

Both help and interest is appreciated

Consider me interested.

Would you mind putting out feelers for other Great War Enthusiasts?

Would you mind putting out feelers for other Great War Enthusiasts?
I lost my feelers in the trenches (that and I have no idea where I'd begin looking).

The idea is interesting, but I would suggest all players be on the same side. While diversity is good. It can quickly turn people against each other when someone has to be the loser. (IMO)

The idea is interesting, but I would suggest all players be on the same side. While diversity is good. It can quickly turn people against each other when someone has to be the loser. (IMO)
Well, we'll need someone to be opposition. Remember, the good guys didn't win all the battles in WWI - battles like Verdun, which showcased the German's own prowess, are plentiful in this conflict. Of course, they'd need a good commander to make their victory more feasible - if we're the only one's with plot armored characters, we'll win with no excitement or suspense.

Well if you think you can then go for it. I am just stating my opinion from past experience. Also count me as interested :3

Interested. As for possible ideas, steam powered walkers along the same line of the early tanks, to get infantry safely across no mans land as quickly as possible.

Well, we'll need someone to be opposition. Remember, the good guys didn't win all the battles in WWI - battles like Verdun, which showcased the German's own prowess, are plentiful in this conflict. Of course, they'd need a good commander to make their victory more feasible - if we're the only one's with plot armored characters, we'll win with no excitement or suspense.
I'm fairly certain there were no good guys in WWI.

i don't think it's necessary to keep people on 'one' side, but maybe limiting the 'sides' could help. Unless it's like a big joint operation / group that can combine all the allied countries and the central power countries at once.... Otherwise it could be tough to keep a handle on who's where, doing what. just a thought.

I may be interested in something like this [German Pilot or infantryman], depending on posting requirements and things. I've been quite tied up with work lately, but i like the idea of a great war based plot.

Interested. As for possible ideas, steam powered walkers along the same line of the early tanks, to get infantry safely across no mans land as quickly as possible.
Are we talking like mecha APCs, or more like Star Wars' AT-STs, being mobile weapons platforms? I think making them APCs would serve best, as they'd break trench lines extremely quickly but not make them so beefy as to be outright unfair. They'd be maybe slightly more available than tanks, but only if they weren't armed with more than a Hotchkiss or two (for the Entente Powers, anyway - the Central Powers' walkers would be better armed with Bergmanns)
I'm fairly certain there were no good guys in WWI.
But what's a war without the winners declaring they fought in the name of justice and all that is good? By the by, I don't recall the Entente Powers having committed genocide like the Ottomans did - please correct me if I'm wrong.
i don't think it's necessary to keep people on 'one' side, but maybe limiting the 'sides' could help. Unless it's like a big joint operation / group that can combine all the allied countries and the central power countries at once.... Otherwise it could be tough to keep a handle on who's where, doing what. just a thought.

I may be interested in something like this [German Pilot or infantryman], depending on posting requirements and things. I've been quite tied up with work lately, but i like the idea of a great war based plot.
Well, the Entente Powers were mostly led by the British Empire (UK, Ireland, Canada, Australia, India, et al) and you'll find they have the most military coverage throughout the war.

In Western Europe, the Brits fought against the Germans and Austro-Hungarians alongside the French, Americans, the Portuguese, the Siamese, the Belgians, and the Italians.

In Eastern Europe, Germany, Austro-Hungary, the Ottomans, and Bulgaria were fighting Russia, Serbia, and to a lesser extent, Romania.

In the Middle East and Africa, the Brits fought alongside the French Africans and Liberians against the Ottomans, Germans, German Africans, and the Ethiopians.

In Asia, the Brits, primarily ANZAC, took hold of Germany's Pacific holdings with little resistance.

So most of our Entente Players will likely be British Territorial Citizens (Not necessarily British themselves - I plan on playing an Irish Pilot myself). I might consider limiting the number of Americans, as not only are many of our players going to be American, but we as Americans have a slightly skewed sense that we won the war for the Entente Powers.

So, primary powers are: American, British and Territorial, French and Territorial, Italian, Serbia and Eastern Europe, Germany and Territorial, Austro-Hungary, and the Ottoman Empire.

As an animator and amateur historian, the idea of roleplaying a steampunk character in the Great War is one I would be excited to participate in. Count me in!

Yes, APC walkers. Oh, and if I do remember correctly, airships, dirigibles, what have you were a terror during WWI and any pilot that could take one of those flying fortresses down was considered an ace (there may have been a WWI pilot that went out of his way to knock those things out of the sky but I can't remember). Why not do the logical thing in the steampunk world, and make them a bit scarier.

Yes, APC walkers. Oh, and if I do remember correctly, airships, dirigibles, what have you were a terror during WWI and any pilot that could take one of those flying fortresses down was considered an ace (there may have been a WWI pilot that went out of his way to knock those things out of the sky but I can't remember). Why not do the logical thing in the steampunk world, and make them a bit scarier.
"Deploy soldiers directly to the enemy trench with our patented new Bristol Trenchbuster Heavy Transport Mechapod!"

What's scarier to a fighter pilot than a superior ace? Anti-Air.

So, an added AA deck to the ship, sturdier balloon, a hull to protect the gunners. They were already used as artillery platforms and bombers, so I think that kinda beef would certainly help.

I've also devised a tech progression system based on how it occurred in the Great War. Many of our advanced battlefield technologies will be first fielded by the Central Powers thanks to Germany (advanced howitzers, flamethrowers, chemical weapons, heavy tanks, heavy airships, triplanes), although some advances will be originally fielded by the Entente thanks to the Brits (light machineguns, fragmentation explosives, all-terrain tanks). For example, I plan on making the British field Heavy Quadruped APCs to safely but slowly deposit a trench-clearing squad to the enemy trenches, while the Germans will field Light Biped APCs to quickly transport smaller groups of soldiers with less protection. At the same time, the Germans will be fielding the Juggernaut Airship first, and the Entente won't be able to field a copy until late in the war. In addition, all actual tech advances will advance at the real world pace - ie, no Italians equipped with SMGs until 1918 (unless scavenged), no AT Rifle until 1918, no British Landships until 1916, no German A7Vs until St. Quentin's in 1918. Similarly, aeroplanes will be available as soon as the pilots are trained, but will improve over time - ie, British dogfighters will be issued Airco DH.1s until 1917, when they'll receive Bristol F.2s.

So that's what the scary battle bus is called, the A7V. Anyways, it all sounds good to me. The tech progression I'm a bit wary of, but I'll put my trust in you to make it work.

So that's what the scary battle bus is called, the A7V. Anyways, it all sounds good to me. The tech progression I'm a bit wary of, but I'll put my trust in you to make it work.
If you have suggestions to make it better, I'll hear you out!

Aside from just having everything at our fingertips like what Battlefield 1 did, nope.

Aside from just having everything at our fingertips like what Battlefield 1 did, nope.
That'd be fun if we were actually playing Battlefield, but we're going for realism (within reason) here.

Steampunk and WW1? Talk about Christmas coming early, allow me to leave my interest right here then, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.