Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
  4. Agender
  5. Primarily Prefer Male
  6. No Preferences
Genres
Adventure. Angels and demons. Apocalyptic. Arthurian. Comedy. Dystopian. Fantasy. Historical. Horror. Post-apocalyptic. Romance. Science fiction. Supernatural.
Did you know that October 5th is World Teachers' Day? A good (or bad) teacher can make a world of difference when it comes to learning. Here, at least, teachers are often overworked and underpaid, and those who still do a good job despite that deserve a round of applause. So if you have a particularly great educator or an important moment where having a good teacher made a huge difference for you here is a place you can share some positivity. Experiences with teachers and mentors outside of traditional school or classroom structures also count, if you have experiences to share about those instead.

And somewhere we can appreciate our teachers on Iwaku!
@PavellumPendulum is the only one I know so a fond shout out to her.
If you're a teacher say hi - and tell us about some of your experiences if you feel like it!

I'd like to give a shout out to my high school math teacher Mr. Higer, he was honestly amazing. I had a really BAD math teacher in my first year at high school and she flat out called me dumb but worded it in a way she wouldn't get in trouble. I hated math and thought I was too dumb for it. But after getting him he taught me that I wasn't dumb, I just didn't learn things the same way others kids did. And just because I wasn't good at calculus didn't mean I wasn't smart. He hated people who acted superior just because they were in the higher math classes, to him everyone was smart just at different things. I wasn't good at calculus but I excelled in trigonometry. He revived my love for math and taught me I'm not dumb, I just learn differently and shouldn't let other's call me dumb just because I don't learn the same way as them.

I've had my fair share of awful teachers mostly AP classes and I just wish some teachers would stop and think before saying or doing something. Words have an effect in students. And not everyone learns the same way, it doesn't make us dumb or less smart, our brains just work differently. I wish more teachers would take the time to learn that students learn differently, not everyone can be shoved in a box and follow the same cookie cutter ways of being taught.

Shout-out to all of my teachers who believed in me more than I did in myself and would actively check up on me when I didn't score like they expected me to. It felt like pressure, but those guys recognised my bad habits before I did and didn't call me out on it either.

Not so much of a shout-out to the teachers who gave me detention for not pronouncing les carottes like she wanted to. Shout-out to @PavellumPendulum for restoring that piece of confidence.

Thanks for the shoutouts, y'all, this is so sweet 😭💕

I love teaching. Every day where I can help a kid have that 'oh! I get this!' moment is a success. Teaching is one of the best things that have ever happened to me. I love my kids and wish them all the opportunities in the world.

All I ask of anyone reading this is that y'all treat your teachers kindly. There are definitely bad teachers, 100%, but those who are good, even those that are okay, please treat them with respect. Admin is a nightmare, funding is a nightmare, trying to put together fun lessons on a limited budget and limited time for 30 kids at once is a nightmare. We're trying our best (and often being paid peanuts to do so, despite studying for 5-6+ years to teach.)

• Love
Reactions: Dusk
Bit late, but shout-out to Ms. Holtz who was my tenth grade English teacher for all of 30 minutes. She instantly clocked me as someone who would be bored and miserable in her class and told me to go to the guidance office and swap to the higher level class immediately; if my parents had a problem with it, they could talk to her. That was probably the first time I ever felt like an adult had my back. It's been 15 years and I still smile thinking about it

Also shout-out to my godmother who teaches math to eighth graders. Math is hard but she does a great job at breaking it down in ways people can understand.

Shout-out to my Orchestra teacher, whom I still have, she's taught us well. She's a great help when we don't understand, or cant get something, sure, she has her moments of 'why am I teaching these kids,' but overall, great teacher. She's funny, relatable, and the class and her get along well.

She's taught us so well we're better than the high schoolers