World of a Mess (scifi, cyberpunk, postapoc mishmash)

D

Dunruffle

Original poster
Hello all, been awhile since i posted something. Group rp's and me don't get along because i hate putting in effort only to see it fail. But with discord i feel it is slightly more possible to hold a long lasting one.

This rp would consist of 4 people playing their own characters, with myself as the GM playing characters and npc's as needed.

The premise of the story would be that earth has gone to hell in a handbasket. All the rich and powerful have moved to the recently terraformed Mars, with asteroid mining bringing a new wave of tech. Earth is wracked by natural disasters while the few megacities are overpopulated and underfed. The world governments are no just puppets for Corporations that control every facet of life. Advances in science has brought about not only new ways of saving lives, but also new ways to end them.

This story will focus on a squad assembled by a mysterious benefactor. Its mission to bring some semblance of peace to the polluted and divided world.

If this story interests you leave a comment/pm me.

Keep in mind that i want to keep this going as long as possible, so people might get replaced if they delay/go awol.

That's it, hope to see you all soon :D

Curious what the whole "cyberpunk, postapoc mishmash" entails? What elements of cyberpunk and postapoc are you bringing in?

so i was planning that there would be varying degrees of each. The megacities would be more cyberpunk. More tech oriented environment. No robots or jetpacks, but cybernetic limbs and hologram projectors. Virtual reality dens for those seeking an escape etc. As for post apoc i was planning to have Africa being an irradiated wasteland after a disastrous civil war. But it holds large reserves of oil so you have nomadic raiding tribes mad max style. More along the low tech end as fancy cybernetics and complicated machines would not react well to the sand, dirt, and radiation.

Reactions: junebug
@Dunruffle Sounds neato so far! What role does the corporations and government play in this setting? What do you mean by "mysterious benefactor"? What is their role in this setting?

Well this was all stuff I was gonna put in the actual sign up thread. But since you asked might as well talk.

So in this dystopian earth, all forms of government are essentially controlled by megacorporations. These megacorps are the ones who terraformed Mars, invented space travel, etc. All the things the wealthy and elite wanted. The governments still function (sort of) but everyone knows it is the megacorps that actually run the show. America is a fractured country going through an economic crisis a la the great depression 2.0. Africa is pretty much a lawless wasteland that is only populated because of oil. Europe is essentially in a new cold war with itself as the advent of orbital space platforms and the proliferation of smaller and deadlier nukes mean even the smallest country can be a threat. South America is now a heavy handed police state. The only country that made it out ok is Australia, since it is the home of the space elevator and the center for the distribution of new tech and resources arriving from outer space.

Edit: I forgot about the benefactor. The story will be that someone (nobody knows who) is paying for the assembly of an elite task force that can operate in the corporate/government grey area. I dont want to give too much plot away, but it can be assumed the benefactor is from one of the big megacorps, just nobody knows exactly which one.

@Kat

Reactions: junebug
@Dunruffle Very interesting! I'll see if others take an interest to this rp. It sounds like it has potential going on for it, something I may consider being a part of, depending on the rules and what not. :)

Reactions: Dunruffle
Cool, will start working on the sign up thread. Hopefully we get one more.

If ya got room for one more I would certainly be interested

Ok cool that makes 3, will start working on the sign up thread tonight

Ok that makes 4, perfect amount. I do not get off work for another 3-4 hours so the signups will be up later tonight.

Thank you for the tag. At this time, I won't be joining. Again, I appreciate the tag.