2. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Fantasy, medieval.
World collapse OCC

A cool breeze enters the open window, moving sheer curtains to the side. By the fireplace sits an elderly woman in a chair that rocks with each movement and a small child lies before her feet, completely entranced in the women's words, wrapped in a thick blanket.

"And the lovers never saw each other again…" The woman waved her hands in the air to signify the end of her tale.

"Tell it again, please Grandma!" Pleading eyes stared into cloudy ones.

With a chuckle, the older woman held out her arms to which the child fell into and gave her a tight squeeze, "Sweet sugar bug, tomorrow is another night." With a sad smile, the older woman hummed as she rocked the child to sleep.

Twenty years later~

Staring in the mirror, Elisha took a steady breath. I have to do this. There is no other way. In her hands was a folded piece of paper with the words "Grandmother" written on top. Placing it on the dresser, she grabbed her bag and walked towards the window. With one final glance around the room she thought, I'll be back. I promise. and jumped off the ledge.

Marvirn

"E-excuse me, c-can you tell me where I am?" These words were so foreign to her. Despite spending years studying them, Elisha felt awkward speaking them aloud and it showed. The scrawny looking man peered over at her suspiciously, "Hmm? Are you daft, girl? This is Marvirn. One of the largest towns in the land." Placing a hand under his chin, the man looked her up and down, "Where might you be from, girl? Maybe I can help you out, for a favor of course!"

Trust no one… A voice echoed in her thoughts.

"Eh, no thank you." She replied before scurrying off into the crowded street. The man called out behind her but she paid him no mind. Never had she seen so many people in one place. It was almost overwhelming for her.

There were people shouting for someone to look at their wares, arguing over prices, kids running around with no care in the world, strange animals scurrying around (some would bark while others would meow or cluck). There were women talking to each other with babes on their laps or arms while men carried heavy objects into buildings. All seemed lost in their own world as Elisha kept her cloak tight around her head. One thing she noticed was they all had the same ears save for her. It seemed the stories she was told proved to be true which meant it would be in her best interest to avoid any unnecessary interactions.

But how would she be able to find The Children of Sight?

Callum hoisted the last of the heavy wooden crates filled with cut bundles of wheat into the back of a wagon parked at the end of the dock. It was the final piece falling in place to complete the job and the current day’s work. Although the saltiness of the sea air wafting across the port matched the smell of the cooling sheen of sweat coating his face, neck, and arms, it hardly felt like he had done much work. The truth was there were fewer and fewer ships docking with every passing day, even at a place as bustling as Marvirn. Shipments of food from other towns up and down the coast still arrived on schedule, ensuring that the populace would not yet have to fear widespread hunger while the stores lasted. It was only a matter of time before shortages and other consequences of flagging trade started to become more of a reality, though.

Callum was all too aware how these coming hardships could disrupt his life, no more stable than his income presently was. Still, it felt much too daunting to try and grapple with the future in his mind right now. Whatever may happen, he was only a small, insignificant cog in a vast machine whose fortunes would, like always, be largely out of his control. He would continue to take things one day at a time until he had the means to find something better for himself.

The merchant dropped a smattering of dull copper coins into Callum’s palm, short money for short labor. Two other workers he had hired received the same, and all three of them headed away from the docks. There was little daylight left and even slimmer chances of finding more paying work, so Callum and his fellow workers unanimously made the decision to call it a day. His earnings would cover his room that night, giving him enough hours of rest to recuperate before setting out the next morning in search of more work.

One of the other workers fell into stride alongside Callum as he walked down one of the many winding city streets of Marvirn toward the inn he frequented the most. They had spoken to each other sparingly while on the job, but that must of been enough for the laborer to consider them acquaintances now.

“So, chap, what’re your plans for the evening? Hardworking, honest fellow like you probably doesn’t get up to much trouble, I hope.” Callum’s assuming compatriot chuckled at his attempt at banter.

Callum regarded him with a disinterested sideways glance as he kept walking. Truthfully, all he intended to do was call it a night and scrounge a cheap plate for dinner at the inn. Telling the other man that might only invite more imposition if he wasn’t careful. He was no bigger or stronger than Callum, but there was a lingering suspicion he might be difficult to shake off gently.

“Ah, too tired to do much. Probably will just turn in ahead of tomorrow.” Callum’s reply was curt but polite, hopefully enough to dissuade him from staying in his company.

The other man scoffed good-naturedly as if to call Callum boring. “Hardly worked enough to be very tired myself. Big town such as this must have a little something in the way of distraction for a man.”

Callum had seen and heard it all in his time in Marvirn. He preferred not to get involved in shady business more than strictly necessary, however. If the man was looking for recommendations, he would have to pull them out of someone else.

The pair paused at a street corner and waited for a passing crowd to thin out before proceeding on their way. While they stood there tensely without making further conversation, a cloaked young woman approached the other man and asked him for directions. Callum said nothing and ignored their interaction as best he could, finding it somewhat ironic that the shoe was now on the other foot for the man that had accosted him. He had a few seconds to wonder if he might be able to make a break from it while she had him distracted, but then the girl abruptly turned and left the overly-familiar dockworker behind with Callum.

The stranger called after her suggestively and then muttered something about weird out of town freaks. Callum didn’t stick around to hear anymore after that, the man’s sudden hostility making him mindful of the ringed scar on his own chest in a way that almost ached. The slowly milling throng parted just enough for Callum to squeeze through, and he wove around the passers by so that they would hide him in their wake as he headed in the same direction as the departed girl.

He caught up with her a few moments later, being careful to mind his distance and not appear to be approaching her aggressively. Callum knew what it was like to turn up as a stranger in a new place without any help to figure things out. He had learned to get around on his own over the years, but some things never got easier, particularly when it came to other people’s suspicions.

Callum decided to offer what help he could since he felt bad that she had an unpleasant run in with the other man. He called out to the young woman, his voice audible above the unending noise of the city streets but gentle and without brashness.

“Sorry about that guy back there, but here’s a word of advice since you were unlucky the first time. You’re better off asking an older person or shopkeeper for help here, since they’re more likely to have been around longer and are used to people coming up to them in the streets.”

Hmm… Elisha tapped her chin, deep in thought. This is so strange. I don't sense them anywhere. Could they be asleep too? This really isn't good. With her hand on her chin, Elisha walked through the streets aimlessly as she pondered about the Children of the Spirits.

People became a blur as the sun started to inch its way down. Still she couldn't feel their energy around her. I should have been able to feel them but I don't sense anyone. Have the people of this world stopped praying? Did they forget their promise? Suddenly, a very fast mound hit her in the stomach and Elisha stumbled back with an oomph.

After quickly regaining her balance, she looked down and saw a small child looking back at her with big brown eyes, flushed cheeks and shiny black swirls around her head. The toddler opened her mouth and let out a loud wail as tears streamed down her face. Elisha panicked and waved her hands in an attempt to calm the child, "H-hey, no no no! Don't cry!" Looking around her, Elisha realized people were looking and muttering things to each other. Unnecessary attention was being drawn to her. Not good.

Kneeling to the child's level, Elisha searched her bag for a moment, "Aha!" She pulled out a small fluffy cake. "Here. Go on, take it. It tastes really good! I-it's a moonbon." One of Grandmother's homemade cakes, she thought. Hesitantly, with a sniffle here and there, the little girl took it and Elisha smiled as she nibbled on it before taking larger bites. So this is an earth child? They seem a little cute.

“Sorry about that guy back there, but here’s a word of advice since you were unlucky the first time. You’re better off asking an older person or shopkeeper for help here, since they’re more likely to have been around longer and are used to people coming up to them in the streets.”

Elisha's ears twitched slightly at the sound as the smile left her face. Did he hear the name? Is he going to put two and two together? No, impossible. I shouldn't have been so careless. The palms of her hands were beginning to sweat as she felt nervous. The child had finished her cake and looked at the man then Elisha as her eyes teared up. "N-no, no, no, no. Don't cry again!" Checking her bag again, Elisha realized she had no more cakes and the child once again began to wail.

Jumping up, Elisha turned to the man with a huff, "Now look what you did! I just got it to stop that noise!" Angrily, she thrusted her hands in the direction of the child who's cries now became screams will looking at the man. "Moon be damned, make it stop will you!"

Cute may have been the wrong term.

Callum blinked, stupefied by the flustered pleading of the girl he had just approached and the howling of the small child he had not noticed at first. And here he thought he had been doing the young lady a favor while she was running into new problems all on her own. Even more of a hassle, she expected him to fix the situation.

That‘s what I get for trying to be friendly. Callum thought to himself about what could be done to remedy the public scene they were quickly becoming. The crying had not stopped, making it difficult to even hear himself think. He was completely in the dark about how the two of them first ran into each other, but Callum thought he overheard the older girl saying something about a “moonbon“ as he walked over to them.

He wasn’t sure what the mysterious moonbon was supposed to be exactly. If he knew anything about dealing with small children, however, it was likely one of two things that could be trusted to pacify them: a toy or something to eat. Callum risked a guess that it had been the latter.

Luckily for all of them, he knew what to do about that. Stooping slightly so the child could have a clear view of his face, Callum tried to smile cheerily to see if it would help her mood. “So are you hungry, kid? Is that it? Check this out.”

He winked and turned to walk away from the main thoroughfare they were close by. A short distance away was a shaded food stand he knew well, its goods arrayed artfully to catch the attention of any passers by. He handed one of his copper pieces to the woman behind the stand, greeting her warmly and calling her by name. Their connection meant he could get a bite here for a slightly reduced price. A paltry perk most days, but certainly useful to him right now.

Returning to the flummoxed pair once more, he bent down to hand over his purchase to the child who was no longer screaming. Now she whimpered hoarsely, as if her voice had given out from the strain. “Try this. Old Agnetha makes the best apple tarts you can find in these quarters. I dunno how it compares to a ‘moonbon’, but it’s pretty tasty.”

The child sniffled as she grew quiet and gingerly plucked the tart from his hand before tearing into it an instant later. Agnetha’s tarts were famously rich and chewy, so if it didn’t fill her belly it should at least keep her mouth too busy to scream for a few minutes.

Standing to his full height now, Callum regarded the girl who had roped him into this. A wry smile brightened his features as he stared her up and down cooly. “So, are we good now? Or will you need help with some other emergency, Miss...”

Callum trailed off curiously, wondering what her deal was. She stuck out pretty noticeably, mainly because of how jumpy and preoccupied she was acting. And the way she talked was fairly odd as well. She had mentioned the unheard of moonbon, for starters.

What else did she say that was strange? “Moon be damned,” ... Callum puzzled over what it could mean. Whoever she was, she had brought up the moon more times than could be casual coincidence.

He was suddenly aware of the vial of water that was always hanging from his neck. Where it rested against his skin under his shirt, Callum could have sworn it gave him a slight chill to the touch.

Remembering the fateful night he had once met a woman blessed by the moon, Callum was intrigued to say the least. Maybe he really would need to keep an eye on this girl if she could help with his haunted past. For the time being he would stick around to see what else he could find out about her, even if she did attract trouble like a magnet.

Before Elisha could reply, the small child yelled out “Momma!” With crumbs falling out of her mouth. Her smile only grew as an older woman with dark locks walked towards them. The child reached her arms out to be picked up, "Oh Sasha, you really shouldn’t have wandered off like that! I was so worried about you!"

“Uh maybe you should pay more attention to her. There are a lot of weirdos around!” Elisha waved her hand in annoyance while the woman huffed in response. The child held up her treat and shouted, “Look!”

The woman took an assessment of the situation and turned her attention to Callum, she bowed slightly, “Thank you for your kindness to my daughter. If there is any way I can repay you both, my husband owns the Three Legged Crow. It’s a bar down by the docks. We don’t have much but we can at least offer you a meal and drink." Shifting the child on to her hips the woman said to ask for Frank or Joanne and was off with the little girl waving bye at the duo with the crowd dispersed.

Now it was just the two of them and for some reason, Elisha felt nervous as she fiddled with her fingers. Looking at the floor, she placed a hand over her other arm in an attempt to calm herself. “You can call me Elisha.” Awkwardly, she bowed slightly, “Thank you.” She placed her hands around her hood and tugged slightly to keep it from falling off.

A million thoughts ran through her mind like what now? Where should I go? What happened to the children of sight? I can’t go back now. Can I trust this guy? I’m so hungry.

Rumble.

The pitiful noise came from her stomach as her face flushed red out of embarrassment. Placing a hand over her stomach, she began to regret offering her last moonbun to the child and sank to the floor in a somewhat dramatic fashion.

Food.

I need food.

Callum stared passively as the mother came to reclaim her child. It relieved him that Sasha was now off their hands. Hopefully, he could now get to the bottom of what the strange young lady was doing here.

He turned to resume talking to the hooded stranger, but soon sputtered in surprise as a wildly gesticulating hand nearly slapped him in the mouth. Just when he thought he could relax, his fellow generous soul was making the odd choice of scolding the mother like she was the one who had wandered off into trouble. Wherever the flustered girl had come from, she was proving to be unpredictable and difficult to reliably read.

The mother seemed to share his opinion that the moon-crazed girl was more than a little odd. Callum smiled sheepishly and nodded his head in response to Joanne’s invitation to the family tavern. He waved back at the departing child with a wag of his fingers and prepared to speak with the hooded girl once more, who Callum hoped could now calm down as quickly as Sasha had after two treats.

”Elisha, huh? Pleasure to meet you. My name is Callum.” He watched as she bowed during her introduction. The gesture seemed awkward coming from her. It made Callum wonder if it was actually a habit of hers or just something she was copying from Joanne, seeing as the younger woman appeared not to be familiar with this place.

He didn’t bow in return, partly because it just didn’t agree with him but also because he wanted to set a different tone between them. “If you’d like to take her up on that offer of a meal, I think I could find the spot pretty easily. I just came from the docks, as it turns out. What’ya say?”

As if in reply, Elisha‘s stomach growled so loud that it belied her slight frame. The hunger must have been truly fierce, because she fell to her knees onto the street where they stood.

“I’ll take that as yes,” he quipped, smirking. Extending a hand to Elisha, Callum waited for her to let him help her up. “Let’s get down to the docks and cash in that favor. We earned it after all.“ Chaperoning the lost, hungry girl was a step beyond what he had done to pacify the childs tantrum. It wasn’t like him to be so charitable, but if his hunch about Elisha having some connection to the moon was correct it could prove worth it.

“We should do this before it gets too late.” Callum warily eyed the streets where the milling crowds were beginning to thin in anticipation of nightfall. “There‘re a lot of things you’d want to avoid down at the docks after dark.”

Callum thought to himself how easily he could become one of those things if he wasn’t careful. It might be stretching his luck to go out on a limb for Elisha. If he could gain enough of her trust, however, he could find out what he needed to know about where she was from and what she might be doing here. A quick bite to eat might give him enough time to get valuable information out of her. Whatever she chose to reveal, he would be looking to move on before it got very late. Whether she continued on with him would be up to her.

There was no moon in the sky yet, but Callum felt its crimson pall hanging over him just the same. He couldn’t let Elisha find out just how dangerous it could prove to remain in his company. At least not before it may be too late for her to have any kind of future in this place at all.