Word Syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes like no sense in English... At least to me. I mean, it forms a proper thought, the thought to me just makes no sense. Sayings are one of those things that do not translate well. lol
The story of the saying is actually the following:
A young girl from the countryside was sent to the city to study. However, she stopped going home to the village regularly. Her mother wrote to her, asking her why she has not come home and the daughter answered as follows:
"From all this fashion, I can not come home."

In other words, she is so immersed in the fashion and modernism of the city and spending so much for the fanciful fashionable things that she can not go home. It is said in a mocking sense when someone is putting fashion on a pedestal.

No, my dear madam, I am truly a young person, only two years away from completing their second decade of existence in a small country at the end of Europe. *throws birth certificates under the rug*

Not at all. I am from Bulgaria, thus my main language is Bulgarian, which uses the Cyrillic alphabet. It is a system, which is a long distance from English, yet we do use many foreign words and it truly annoys me how we use some English words when there are Bulgarian equivalents. *sigh* As they say where I come from:
От таз мода не моа си дода. - From all this fashion, I can not come home.
Just you wait, Ms. Writer, I'll search the entirety of the United Kingdom untill I discover your identity! *glares*

That sounds awefully familiar, we've got the exact same problem with Dutch-English. Dutch is somewhat similar to English to begin with -obviously more so than Bulgarian-, but people often use English terms instead of Dutch for all kinds of things, and when you use the proper Dutch term, you're labelled as old-fashioned or some even suspect you're making those words or expressions up -__-'
That makes like no sense in English... At least to me. I mean, it forms a proper thought, the thought to me just makes no sense. Sayings are one of those things that do not translate well. lol
True, that's a truth as a cow.... Silly Dutch expressions are too silly to be translated lol.

Wow, that's such a gorgeous expression Phones! Now I'm quite envious of not being able to speak nor read the Cyrrilic alphabet. How many years did it take for you to learn the Latin Alphabet and at what age did you start? ;o

Just you wait, Ms. Writer, I'll search the entirety of the United Kingdom untill I discover your identity! *glares*
And I shall be patiently waiting with a cup of tea and меденки~
Wow, that's such a gorgeous expression Phones! Now I'm quite envious of not being able to speak nor read the Cyrrilic alphabet. How many years did it take for you to learn the Latin Alphabet and at what age did you start? ;o
Quite honestly, I can't remember. There is not a single memory that I have in which English was actually a foreign language.
I've been told by my parents that I used to watch Cartoon Network for hours on end, so much that they sometimes felt like they didn't have a child in the house XD. Back then, CN was an English-only channel, no subtitles, no nothing. My parents say that I just randomly started babbling in English one day and they had no idea what I was saying XD At least I remember my obsession with CN, because, sheesh, those were some good shows back in the day. Ever since they dubbed the channel, however, I have not checked what has been running on it. The entire experience got ruined when they dubbed it.

As for the Latin Alphabet, I have a very vague memory of me learning the Alphabet in some small blue room with a teacher in kindergarten. It was probably one of those extras you could sign your child up for. A lot of parents sign their children up for various things and they should. It's easy to find if there is a prodigy in kindergarten and kids can develop interests in many subjects, maybe even become great at something. From memory, I do believe I was in a dancing group, an arts group and an English group. Dancing never worked out, since the teacher was... petrifying. I love arts and English, well, this text speaks for itself X3
I do remember making mistakes when I was in elementary school. By the time I was in middle school, I made very few mistakes. Right now, I either make mistakes from hurrying, missing a letter on the keyboard or when the word is some hard term not used in general.

• Love
Reactions: Ner0

Quite honestly, I can't remember. There is not a single memory that I have in which English was actually a foreign language.
I've been told by my parents that I used to watch Cartoon Network for hours on end, so much that they sometimes felt like they didn't have a child in the house XD. Back then, CN was an English-only channel, no subtitles, no nothing. My parents say that I just randomly started babbling in English one day and they had no idea what I was saying XD At least I remember my obsession with CN, because, sheesh, those were some good shows back in the day. Ever since they dubbed the channel, however, I have not checked what has been running on it. The entire experience got ruined when they dubbed it.

As for the Latin Alphabet, I have a very vague memory of me learning the Alphabet in some small blue room with a teacher in kindergarten. It was probably one of those extras you could sign your child up for. A lot of parents sign their children up for various things and they should. It's easy to find if there is a prodigy in kindergarten and kids can develop interests in many subjects, maybe even become great at something. From memory, I do believe I was in a dancing group, an arts group and an English group. Dancing never worked out, since the teacher was... petrifying. I love arts and English, well, this text speaks for itself X3
I do remember making mistakes when I was in elementary school. By the time I was in middle school, I made very few mistakes. Right now, I either make mistakes from hurrying, missing a letter on the keyboard or when the word is some hard term not used in general.
I am impressed. You now have my full attention and respect Phones. Do continue with this impressive display.

Reactions: Headphones
I am impressed. You now have my full attention and respect Phones. Do continue with this impressive display.
Will do my very best~

Well, guys, it's pretty late and I'm planning to hit the hay soon. Still, I wanted to share a song with you all, however,... this is just... so amazing.
Music Night with Headphones presents: something that may not entirely be a song

Ha, as if he didn't before.

when you use the proper Dutch term, you're labelled as old-fashioned or some even suspect you're making those words or expressions up -__-'
That's sort of sad, when your culture is beginning to doubt their native language. :/

Going to work on a post, I have some smaller posts to knock out first though now that I'm back (somewhat) from being awake for nearly twenty-four hours, and ending the "night" with a bottle of whiskey.

Cookies!! Oh wow, that's very similar to how I'm trying to learn Japanese xD (But well, I'm not a prodigy so I take a lot longer to learn ghehe). It's great how your parents have stimulated you to learn the most you could at such a young age! ^_^ I wish mine had, I think they were too busy breaking up hahaha.

Also, Japanese is such a poetic language, despite it not being a 'real' song, I love it.
Ha, as if he didn't before.

That's sort of sad, when your culture is beginning to doubt their native language. :/

Going to work on a post, I have some smaller posts to knock out first though now that I'm back (somewhat) from being awake for nearly twenty-four hours, and ending the "night" with a bottle of whiskey.
Quite true, I think that in a hundred years our entire culture might just have been gobbled up by you Americans. I already catch myself forgetting certain Dutch terms, only knowning the English equivalent... That is, if the Netherlands haven't been destroyed by earthquakes or swallowed by the sea...... I'm usually an optimist x'3

Wooh post~! *happy dance*
Good luck, well... alcohol goes pretty well on sparks/flames, so I think you'll think you'll manage to do just fine. ^_^

Reactions: Azathoth
Wooh post~! *happy dance*
Good luck, well... alcohol goes pretty well on sparks/flames, so I think you'll think you'll manage to do just fine. ^_^

I'm feeling a spark of guilt for drinking so much, but that is to be expected since it was Fireball whiskey.

Oh, and I had a cup of coffee. I never knew how effective coffee was, since I've never needed it this badly before. I became so alert so quickly I was afraid my family would think I was acting strangely.

Reactions: AlidaMaria
I'm feeling a spark of guilt for drinking so much, but that is to be expected since it was Fireball whiskey.

Oh, and I had a cup of coffee. I never knew how effective coffee was, since I've never needed it this badly before. I became so alert so quickly I was afraid my family would think I was acting strangely.
Caffeine has very subtle effect on me. I need to drink a lot for it to do anything, and I have never experienced the "buzz" you can get from caffeine. Isn't ADD great? Right now I'm trying to decide if I prefer how my mind works while I'm not on my meds or if I prefer how I feel when I am on my meds. Both have their ups and downs.

Caffeine has very subtle effect on me. I need to drink a lot for it to do anything, and I have never experienced the "buzz" you can get from caffeine. Isn't ADD great? Right now I'm trying to decide if I prefer how my mind works while I'm not on my meds or if I prefer how I feel when I am on my meds. Both have their ups and downs.
I couldn't tell you.

Coffee has never really done anything for me (either)... However, I drink it with sugar and milk, so perhaps that gets in the way of the magical processes of caffeïne...

Just hold on a second there... Isn't it illegal to drink before you're 21 in the States mr. Spark?!?!?! D: *pours myself some Amarula* (But well, I suppose Azazoth, demon of chaos and discord will be able to get away with it..)

Last edited:
Coffee has never really done anything for me (either)... However, I drink it with sugar and milk, so perhaps that gets in the way of the magical processes of caffeïne...

Just hold on a second there... Isn't it illegal to drink before you're 21 in the States mr. Spark?!?!?! D: *pours myself some Amarula* (But well, I suppose Azazoth, demon of chaos and discord will be able to get away with it..)
Well, I think that depends entirely on your location.

Like, whether or not you're in the visual radius of police officers.

*Snorts* Sounds fair enough xD
Well, I'm not usually a rule breaker but I make exceptions for a drink with friends.

And I'm not going to get that post up today, I need to pour over the material Headphones provided and decide on Gabriel's next course of action then get to planning, etc. The coffee was so I could deal with two other RPs today.

Well, I'm not usually a rule breaker but I make exceptions for a drink with friends.

And I'm not going to get that post up today, I need to pour over the material Headphones provided and decide on Gabriel's next course of action then get to planning, etc. The coffee was so I could deal with two other RPs today.
No problemo for me xD Well, I don't mind at all really. Just another migrate to come to the Netherlands lol. Drinking limit is 18 here (used to be 16 when I was 16, but the drinking problems amongst our youth are enormous, so it's being raised).

Take your time! (Speaking only for myself though)

No problemo for me xD Well, I don't mind at all really. Just another migrate to come to the Netherlands lol. Drinking limit is 18 here (used to be 16 when I was 16, but the drinking problems amongst our youth are enormous, so it's being raised).

Take your time! (Speaking only for myself though)
It's the same way in a lot of countries, I hear. I can respect the health benefits of limiting alcohol consumption until twenty-one, so I'm not complaining. As much as I enjoy a drink, it's one of the things that I think America does right.

It's the same way in a lot of countries, I hear. I can respect the health benefits of limiting alcohol consumption until twenty-one, so I'm not complaining. As much as I enjoy a drink, it's one of the things that I think America does right.
Agreed, especially since you're already allowed to drive at 16 if I'm not mistaken... Drinking and driving is all too often a lethal combination. But I think I should get going, church tomorrow and stuff. Ciaociao! ^_^

Agreed, especially since you're already allowed to drive at 16 if I'm not mistaken... Drinking and driving is all too often a lethal combination. But I think I should get going, church tomorrow and stuff. Ciaociao! ^_^
Alright, good night. ^_^

• Thank You
Reactions: AlidaMaria
I wouldn't care if the drinking age was 21, but since the legal age for the draft is 18 it is one of those things I think is bullshit. You can be forced to fight and die 3 years before you legally can have a drink. I just think that if you can be drafted and vote then you should be treated like a complete adult.

I wouldn't care if the drinking age was 21, but since the legal age for the draft is 18 it is one of those things I think is bullshit. You can be forced to fight and die 3 years before you legally can have a drink. I just think that if you can be drafted and vote then you should be treated like a complete adult.
Well, why don't we up the legal age of the draft instead?

There are some decisions that shouldn't be in the hands of the inexperienced, or the under developed. However, putting those things in their hands just because other worse things are already there isn't the solution. We should be aiming to take the pressure of those things off of them as well. If you remember, being able to vote was brought down to eighteen because of the draft as well, when raising the age of the draft would have been a better solution (though I do appreciate the right to vote).

American youth today are treated like children right up until they're eighteen, then they're expected to be able to act like responsible adults? I feel like their is a deficit in the current psychology of our education which needs to be addressed, and hopefully it will be this generation which is suffering under it the most which strives to make the change as they mature into the worlds of politics and business.

But let me get off my soap box, before I can't stop myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.