Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize I was following the lead of some other members. That said, I still see this space as mostly discussion, and a palce to gain feedback on character sheets and answer questions. In the OOC section, I figured I'd open a thread to post a compilation of character sheets... I don't know though, I simply went off of what I sort of inferred from other RPs! If it needs to be moved, I'll ask a staffie to move it!

As for your interest, thats greatly appreciated! Please take some time to look through the material and FAQ and see if this is an RP for you. :)
If you want, we can always move this thread into the OOC section and you can keep the "Open Sign-ups" prefix. Like that, you won't have to re-copy everything :) Just let us know! You can PM any staff member or Intern.

If I wasn't so busy I'd love to join omg, but there's already so much interest. Good luck and cheers!

Okay this looks really interesting. and that banner is gorgeous

I'll most likely be joining this, if you'll have me.

edit: oh and on further inspection there are also some familiar faces around :3

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sir Basil
Okay this looks really interesting. and that banner is gorgeous

I'll most likely be joining this, if you'll have me.

edit: oh and on further inspection there are also some familiar faces around :3

Please ! I'd love to have you.

I'll be officially closing on members on Friday, the OOC character sheet thread will go up then, and the IC will shortly follow !

W.I.P

Name: Darrik Ulroy
Ethnicity: Myrr
Religion: N/A
Home Region: Nomadic
Known Languages:
Lodainic, Gaulian, Gods' Good Common
Appearance:
Personality:
Class:
Mage
----- Type: Blood
----- True Names Known: N/A

Skills:
Weaknesses:
History:
(A background of your character, including their accusation, and subsequent capture.)

I'm definitely up for joining this! :)

Awesome ! I'm going to get the Character page up by Friday, I hope, and then my call for characters will end.

• Love
Reactions: MoolyMook
One druid and two mages, by my counting? Should have added a brick-in-a-sock as a skill to my character...

One druid and two mages, by my counting? Should have added a brick-in-a-sock as a skill to my character...

Party composion doesn't particularly matter - fighting in this game isn't the top priority , ever. Simply because healing in this world is a lot more difficult. I am also going to include a further word about magic and 8! This setting , so ther s a little more clarity on how it works in practice. Don't forget, we also have a noble woman.

Still open for characters, yes?

Sure are. :) getting close to the deadline- but please don't be tempted to rush. Make a character you want to play, and be sure to read all of the world information carefully !

@Lannis asked me some great questions about the world in a PM. I thought I'd post them here, in case you're wondering the same things! Thanks Lannis!

1. Are there hedge witches around? Not necessarily the specific definition of a hedge witch, but more the social niche of hedge witches, people who are looked upon warily for having skills that could be mistaken for magic.

There are certainly village wise-women and pellars about, who use common herbs and basic first aid to help others. Their knowledge of herbalism is often mistaken for magic, although many of them don't know any True Names at all. These wise-folk are often accused, and sent to the stake when their herbs fail them. They are often the scapegoats for misfortune in small villages.

2. What style of names should be used? The setting of Donegal seems to have Gaelic and Scandinavian roots, but I see characters with English names too.
The majority of Donegal's population have names that are based in Latin, Gaelic, Old High German, and Scandinavian languages. It depends largely on where you are.

Lodains have Latin, classical names - unless you're in Moravia. In Morvaia, you have Old High German names. Igrish-folk and Lochans have Irish names - or occasionally English. Gauls have Scottish Gaelic names. Islanders have Latin or Old Norse names, and Sea People have Welsh names.

Ultimately though, get as creative as you like!

3. How high is the panic level currently? Is it at the point where people would blame the oddballs in their village for animals dying or children getting sick? Or are people still mostly rational and it's just the Church of All cracking down?

It depends on where you are, again.

The closer you are to Lodain or Tir Caredyr, the greater levels of panic there are. In the cities themselves, seeing a few witch-burnigns a day is not entirely uncommon, and they are large, public affairs. More rural areas are still prone to accuse their wise-folk if something goes wrong, but they're more isolated from the mass-hysteria. The longer the plague and famine goes on, the worse things are going to get.

4. For clarification currently what's going on... (I've responded to some of the vaguer points.)

The famine is largely due to the collapsing infrastructure of the fading Lodainic Empire. Following the Southern Rebellion, many Lodainic farming practices and infrastructural safety-nets were cut off. The South, which had once been the Lodainic bread-basket, now is hardly functional as farming land, without Lodainic irrigation practices.

A plague known as the Bræðblack has crept across Donegal. Although its origin point is unknown, it is widly believed to come from the swamps of Perth, Airmyn, and Eir Vagyr. Bræðblack manifests in three stages. Initially, it causes painless black masses to spread across the neck. As the disease progresses, these masses ruptured, resulting in large open sores. By the third stage, the flesh around the sores develops necrotic gangrene, and the flesh literally rots off of the neck.
It is believed it is spread by bad wind and infected breath - intially coming from swamp miasma, emanating from rotting organic matter. The air gets trapped in densely populated cities like those in Lodain and Tir Caredyr, and thus, the infection swells.
It is believed that the Change can cure it - as most Changed folk are resistant to diseases - or that the touch of the All-Voice can miraculously remove it.

The Southern Rebels largely won - Gaul, Dornach, and Airmyn all won their independence from the Lodainic empire. Moravia and Igris are the soul remaining sattelites of the Lodainic Empire, and many believe that Igris will follow suit. It's worth mentioning that Igris has tried before - but much of their population is enslaved, and they struggle to unify, as Igris has many cultural differences from region to region.

• Useful
Reactions: DustBunny
Name: Talulla Ni Eoin

Ethnicity: Igrisian

Religion: None

Home Region: Igris

Known Languages: The God’s Good Common and Igrish

Appearance: Like this, but a bit older, and with no makeup.
nS18YeM.jpg

Personality: Talulla is a cynical woman who has lost her faith in the goodness of her fellow men. She tends to be rude and insulting when spoken to, and does not get along well with others. While Talulla would not offer aid to anyone unless it benefited her, she also would not actively harm someone unless it’s in self defense or if they’re Lodain. She carries a deep seated hatred of Lodains and the Lodainic Empire.

Class: Herb witch

Skills (Number of *’s indicate relative proficiency):
-Cooking ***
-Mending **
-Extensive knowledge of plants and herbs ****
-Fishing **
-Literacy ***
-Knife fighting *

Weaknesses: Talulla does not trust easily, and as such, does not get along well with others. She views the Lodainic Empire with a mixture of fear and hate and is often irrational in matters pertaining to it and its people. She also has terrible handwriting and no one can read what she writes.

History:
Once upon a time, Talulla had a good life. She grew up in a small village in Igris on the shores of the Great Sea with her two brothers and their parents. Her mother was the village herb-witch, and from her, Talulla learned the knowledge of plants. When she came of age, she married her childhood sweetheart, a fisherman, and started a family of her own.

Then Igris attempted to rebel again and her husband went to fight and never returned. And then the plague came. It did not take long for the plague to spread through Talulla’s small village, infecting many, including her two children, but strangely enough, Talulla herself stayed healthy. She tried her best to help the villagers and her children, but none of her potions and tinctures had any effect, and one by one, she watched her village die around her.

The villagers were desperate and grieving, and it wasn’t long before the rumors began. Whispers about the herb-witch who remained untouched by the plague, even as her children lay dying, who despite all her claimed knowledge could not seem to slow the sickness eating at their flesh. And then came the accusations. Witch, they called her, blood mage. People began refusing her treatments, and it wasn’t long after that they torched her house in the middle of the night.

A collapsing roof smothered her children and Talulla herself just barely escaped, suffering burns. In a fit of grief and rage, she poisoned the village well, ensuring the end of her village before she fled inland. But someone lived, and someone told the witch-hunters, and it wasn’t long before they caught up to her. She fought tooth and nail, but she was only one woman and soon she was clapped in irons to be dragged before the All-speakers.

OH

Can I please join...?

Pls?

OH

Can I please join...?

Pls?

You've got til Friday to make a character ! But if you can do that, you absolutely can ! Please be sure to read the material carefully , and if you have questions send them to me ! :)

Reactions: Wizzy The Wizard

Name: Eppenos, ''Brenhin'' Gae Bulg
Ethnicity: Gaul
Religion: Druidic, a mixer of his own and those that came before
Home Region: Gaul
Known Languages: Igrish, Gaulian
Appearance: To start it is quite noticeable by the image provided that he has three braids on the top of his head followed by very loose and long hair in the back that reaches to his waist which symbolizes the ruling law of Igrish civilization, although Gaulish which might hint at his age for he was rumored to have lived before the age that the Gaulish and the Igrish were separate. His voice symbolizes a time before, a deep and heavy accent of Igrish and a small mix of Gaulish. His armor, made of steel, feathers, sticks and string but all black/ or gray. The forger of his armor, covered every piece in oil before finishing so it may have the unique appearance of a full black set. His long nosed crow mask, also black, gives his title strength and meaning. The chest plate, tiled with 5 layers of steel and a hard leather palate behind. His lower body mostly made of crow feathers make up a dress that covers the legs completely and reaches to the ground. His lower ''dress'' is split where the legs do which allows him more leg room, the knees of the dress contains one steel plate for protection. Most do not know of his foot wear but some speculate it is mere sandals. His pauldrons/ or shoulder plates are made of a warped black steel with sticks and feathers on top for style. His gauntlets also just made of a smooth black steel, also for protection. His sword curved and bladed on one side, originally made of iron but now steel and personally made, him and his forger calls the blade a ''curved sword.'' The end of the handle of the blade is a string of crow feathers the extend a long ways. The blade of the sword glows a bright red, the forger and Eppenos used blood magic to summon a spirit of Duinnoban and then sealed it within the blade. All of this combined makes him weigh over 200p and he stands at about 5'11.
Personality: He speaks in old tongue, always in a mysterious yet coded speak. He is never straight forward and always provides a cryptic message to everyone he talks to. He does good work to make himself mysterious and unknown which is why most of his history is nothing but myths. He is kind though to nature and but cruel in comparison to humans outside of his homelands.
Class: Mage and Druid
----- Type: The Duinnoban Crow (a.k.a The One who walks Among Us)
(a.k.a He who uses both spirit and mortal blood)
----- True Names Known: a 'bhàis a 'gairm cuideachd geamhradh (a.k.a The Death Crowing Winter)

Xr9K7TRWfqTY4KQV3C77ie92MBMtMX7fbpO6mDX45tDGiCgL8wCGs8hWnaAslEPfFuX7tRNV=s630

Skills:
  • Swordsmanship​
  • Magical rituals​
  • War tactical experience​
  • Stealth​
  • Crows always follow him and defend him when in danger, as does he vise versa​
  • His sword containing a spirit from Duinnoban formed from blood magic, this allows him to strike fear into other spirits when drawn. The brightness of the blade when looked upon by other spirits of the lower class or those of the mortal world with low moral or will to drive them quickly into madness​
  • For a unknown reason the spirits of Duinnoban and the other realms take notice to him, or perhaps just the blade? No one knows as of yet, however, the spirits take great lengths to not look upon him but yet at the same time act to his presence. The small spirits quiver and shade their eyes from his appearance and those that are more stronger willed do the same but without the quiver​
  • Just like the crow he is mostly immune to all disease but because he was born human he CAN essentially get a virus and become sickly, however it is rare for just like the crow he probably already carries the virus.​
Weaknesses:
  • Cooking​
  • Forging​
  • Brewing​
  • Ironically his nose isn't all that good​
  • He fears that another divide may happen between the two cultures of Gaul and Igrish​
  • Failure to stop the divide between his two homelands​
  • It is rumored that he has no eyes, this goes with another rumor that he uses his ears to hear the crows speak to him. It is also rumored that the crows speak to him as they follow so he knows whats around him due to the original rumor that he has no eyes. Another rumor that also follows that he knows another language, the same language that the crows speak to one another to communicate. All of this are myths and have yet to be proven​

History:
Eppenos is believed to have been born when the Igrish and the Gaulish were one and lived under the law of the braid. Among the separation he followed the Gaul solely because of their beliefs of freedom. It was said that when birthed a crow flew and rested upon the shoulder of the mother who held Eppenos, it was said that the crow had three eyes and had spoken to the spirits from the other realm. The crow whispered in the small boys ears a ritual that would form a pact with them and in return he would protect them too. In some mythos the crow symbolizes, ''death'' or he who collects souls, disease and or all things destructive and corrupt yet balanced. It is Eppenos duty to the other realms to protect the way of balance in the world therefore death is his calling, he goes and kills for his own beliefs yet somehow stands beside his own homelands law. During his capture it was said that it was due to the mythos surrounding his persona, the fact that he was feared by the spirits of the other realms struck fear to the Lodains that he may be too powerful. When captured, although he put up a good fight he was easily overwhelmed and among the struggle the sword he uses to fight was taken by the officers who took him. Rumors spread that he was to assassinate the leaders of Lodain and that too struck fear to the city which was another reason to take him by force.​

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Nice Execution!
Name: Talulla Ni Eoin
I'm mildly concerned that your character won't work well with the others - after all, this is a game that favours cooperation. On the other hand, I think her behaviour is entirely reasonable for an Igrish patriot and herb witch. I particularly enjoy her backstory, and think it makes a good deal of sense.
I enjoy this character a lot. I like the lore surrounding his ancient nature - and his realtionship to the magic of the world. While I think he is an interesting character for the world, he doesn't particularly suit this game due to a few minor problems. Namely, I think your character might simply be too powerful to be captured by the Faith. You didn't include how he was captured in his backstory - and this RP presumes that you have been subdued by the faith, and captured. In a more meta-stance, this is also a game that really focuses on growth, and starting from the bottom and (maybe) becoming (a little) powerful. While I think your character's fears about Igris and Gaul are awesome, like A++ motivation, I worry that he doesn't have any place to grow towards. That's not to say I don't think he's capable of development. I think he is. I just need a reason for him to have been captured. Perhaps he's been trapped in a mortal vessel - maybe he's a spirit, possessing a weak Spirit mage. I want to make this guy work because I think you did a fantastic job, I just worry about his place in this RP.
Also, no katana. This world features such amazing sword possibilities as: small, medium and large. Weaponry hasn't really gotten particularly creative yet. Also, from a meta standpoint - this world doesn't have a whole lot of Asian influences. :P

@Wizzy The Wizard was kind enough to ask some additional questions in a PM, and I think they might be helpful. Have a look, if you want more information. All of these Q&A questions will be added into the OOC thread, which, like I said, will be up Friday. The IC will follow shortly after.

1) The escaping part is the starting event for this RP right?

The adventure will begin with you escaping (or not) from the Witch Hunters.

2) Is the church of all a corrupt organization; As in just a tool for power, or is it simply trying to spread its views to people like any other religious organization would at that current time?

It's a Church like any other. They are expanding rapidly, explaining that the current chaos in the world is because the Gods of All are angry with Donegal. If everyone worshipped The All - the famine and plague would end.

That said, even within the Faith there are whispers that specific All-Speakers and All-Fathers / Mothers are corrupt - in the same way that people don't trust specific politicians, but still believe in democracy. Nobody questions the All-Voice, however, believing him to be above petty human sin and temptation

On the other hand, those not of the Faith believe they are all corrupt, being puppeted by evil spirits, or simply lying about revelations to get what they want.

3) Do churches act as orphanages or do are there established orphanages etc. ?

Yes and no. The Church of All will take in orphans or unwanted children, and train them to become All-Brothers and All Sisters, hoping that they will eventually rise in rank All-Mothers or All-Fathers within a monastic system - or possibly even All-Speakers. However, not all children taken in by the church become All-Mothers/Fathers.
There is a specialized section of the church for the holy prostitute. When a young man or woman joins the church, the All-Father or All-Mother of the church determine whether or not the child would be better serving the Gods Who Are Many by serving the servants of the Gods. The children are evaluated on their personality and appearance by the All-Father and All-Mother, and then, are sent to the capital, Tir Carderyn. From there, the children are trained, from ages 13-16 in the arts of love, and seduction by the All-Matron or All-Patron, depending on who is the current teacher. At the age of 16, upon the completion of their training, the children are given the special title, All-Disciple. They are forever known by their first name, if they ever had a family name to begin with. All-Disciples rarely leave Tir Carderyn, only traveling on the rarest occasions, with a retinue of guardsmen from the capital and at least one All-Sword. When they do travel, they are usually met with shock and surprise by the common people ; to see such beautiful and well kept creatures. Within the nations of Gaul and Igris, however, the common people often dismiss All-Disciples, and do not show them proper respect, given that the All-Disciples are creatures of finery and pleasure and Gaul and Igris are both hard, cold lands, where everyone is expected to be a warrior in some right or another.

On the other side of the spectrum, their are All-Swords. How All-Swords are chosen is far more complicated and secretive. Children who had the potential to become All-Swords were pulled from the general monastic population at a young age, about ten years old. They were trained to become ruthless, and physically and mentally prepared for the "Change." Their surname was "cut" out of them. It was intended to disconnect them from their previous lives and remind them that they were now holy agents of the Gods Who Are Many - who did not live human lives. They never saw their parents or family after they took their vows in the Temple of St. Rhaemiel.

I'm also confused on the capabilities of spirit magic and how they wield it . Is it something sort of natural/instinct-like?

Spirit magic without training is simply uncontrollable. Unlike pact or blood magic, where a spirit was sought out - spirit magic attaches itself to the wielder. It's said by some, that the spirit wields the mage, far more the mage wields the spirit. The spirit does not want to see its host harmed, and will attempt defend it from physical peril, and attempt to comfort it, On the other hand, it is not usually in charge of the mage's physical functions. The spirit's influence is often very weak - although its influence is stronger when the mage is a child.

Learning True Names is a way fro the mage to control its spirit - and a way to enhance it. Without True Names, a mage can neither control their magic, and their already not particularly powerful magic is even weaker. If the mage happened to attract the attention of a very powerful spirit, their magic often runs away with them -- which is exactly what the Church fears. Thankfully, that's incredibly rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.