Status
Not open for further replies.
Name: Ide (ee + da”) Mag Shamhradháin

Ethnicity: Gaul

Religion: Druidic

Home Region: Gaul

Known Languages: Gaulian, Igrish, Gods' Good Common.

Appearance: As in the picture, with a bit darker skin, and dark circles under her eyes. 5' 2'' tall, leaning towards a thin build.

2YjRKzJ.jpg

Personality: she's a good person, constantly losing her sleep to help someone else, either directly by spending time with them, for company or healing treatments, or for harvesting, studying, or anything that she feels will help her bring good to the world one day. She loves spending time in nature, and when possible she'll study and do everything outside. Spending so much time to herself, she's a bit shy, and tries to follow actual steps in order to make friends, which makes her seem fake, or just odd.

Class: Mage
----- Type: Pact
----- True Names Known: Anthos (Rosemary)
Atrapahort (Belladonna)
Proñero (common Dongeal Shorthair, a cat, I think, made up by the GM)

Skills: cooking, gardening, deep understanding or herbs and their uses, nursery (can't think of a better word for sewing up people xD), great focus and concentration. Her magic used for healing can be very powerful if her magical treatment is done over a long span of time (talking about weeks or months of seeing the patient here).

Weaknesses: she fears and avoids romance. Still suffers migraines and nausea from time to time, from that time she accidentally poisoned herself while studying herbs.

History: She comes from a family with happily married parents and many, many siblings. On top of it, she was the sibling that was right in the middle. The rest of her siblings grew to do the same as their parents, leading simple lives in order to bring in some money so all of them could eat. The parents made an effort in order to make sure their children would live an honest life. They were somewhat poor, always wearing hand-me-downs and they never had plenty of food, but since they had a roof over their heads and at least a meal a day, the parents considered going out to steal from people was unacceptable.

Ide started to spend a lot of time alone as a pre-teen, depressed because she was always ignored, blending into the crowd, her oldest brother and youngest sister gaining all the attention. Not having any skills besides cooking or cleaning, she went around offering herself as a maid, pressured into doing so by her sisters, despite not wanting to do anything. A nobleman gave her a job, she had to clean the house everyday, in exchange for food. The nobleman took a liking to her, since he had no daughters of his own, only sons. This made it so they formed a deep bond, a nice friendship that bordered in a father/daughter relationship. This new friendship, and this new world filled with books took her out of her depression.

Despite their bond, and how honest and open Ide was with the nobleman so he practically knew everything about her life, the knowledge wasn't mutual. Ide was entertained by the man's stories about his family life, but she didn't know anything about the way he managed his business, or his political stance.

The nobleman was strongly religious, so as soon as he knew of the rebellious movement opposing to the Church, he supported them in any way he could. That included taking care of a handful of tomes left behind by his great grandfather, a mage who had led a long, prosperous life. Now it wasn't only a matter of holding on to family relics. Now it was about keeping alive a religion and an art that were endangered in today's world.

Eventually the nobleman inquired Ide about her beliefs. As a child, her and her family had always worried about more mundane and urgent things, not really paying attention to religion. They were 'druidic', but as far as knowing there was supposed to be a big male spirit and a big female spirit. They didn't care to learn more, not considering it held any real significance to their lives. The nobleman started educating Ide about religion, further shaping her beliefs.

((Still, she isn't the most devote druid. It's hard to shake off so many years of not paying attention to it. For her, Ciarán and Mara can see her every action, but considers egoistical to call for their aid at every turn. She mostly shows her devotion at special dates or when she's struggling a lot, mostly emotionally, but usually doesn't ask for their aid when performing magic. She believes she's constantly bathed in Ciarán and Mara energy. Asking them to give her power would be redundant. It's up to herself to know how to properly channel their energy.))

Ide was allowed to spend all the time she wanted in the nobleman's library. He taught her how to read and write, and they spent long hours reading together. Confident in how Ide was intelligent enough to understand the ancient tomes, and that she wouldn't spill a word about them to the Church, the nobleman trusted her with the books, feigning ignorance, as if he thought they were regular books. With these ancient tomes she found out about magic, and about the healing arts. The studied medicine from those books and sought other healers who would take her as an apprentice. Eventually her avid reading granted her the name of an old spirit, who gave her the true names she knows.

Years passed, Ide grew into being a young woman, and her beloved friend fell severely ill. It took everything she knew and every ounce of experience and magical prowess, but she managed to save the life of the nobleman. At this time they were spending so much time together, the nobleman's wife got jealous, thinking Ide had seduced her husband.

This woman accused Ide of heresy, not knowing that she was actually a mage and not caring about it, as long as that got Ide out of her household. Ide tried her best to run away, but once she was captured, she didn't resist arrest.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Sir Basil
I'm gonna be working on a mgae, but I have a question: Do we make up the True Names for the magic, or are there a set of names you want us to use? @Sir Basil

Figured out what I'm going to do for my character. Hope she's okay!

Name: Lillian Fairview

Ethnicity: Lodain

Religion: Church of All

Home Region: Lodain

Known Languages: Lodainic, Igrish, God's Good Common

Appearance: Lillian is a tall girl, standing at 6’3” and is of slim, dainty built. She holds herself up like a noblewoman should, with shoulders straight and head held high. Her pure white hair reaches down to the small of her back and is tied into a braid, as a reminder of her lover. Her eyes are a dark blue and she has relatively pale skin. On her face is a small mouth and a small nose, no blemishes marring it. Most of her clothing consists of dresses and anything fancy, such as jewelry. Though as of now, she mainly wears peasant clothes as a disguise.

Personality: Lillian was raised to be the perfect heir to the Fairview household, being poised and refined, yet able to take any challenge met head on and keep to her beliefs. She can be blunt at times and quiet at others. She grew to be a little stubborn when she was growing up and being around her lover didn’t help that fact. Despite that, she’s not too proud and cares not for her dignity as a noblewoman. She is fairly religious, following the Church of All with reverence. Right now, she’s disillusioned by the fact she was framed for heresy and misses her love dearly.

Class: Noblewoman

----- Type: N/A

----- True Names Known: N/A

Skills: sewing, singing, painting, social etiquette

Weaknesses: no survival skills, can’t cook, disillusioned by the fact she’s accused of heresy, unused to commoner behavior, no fighting skills

History: Lillian was born into the Fairview nobility with much excitement surrounding her birth, for she was the first daughter her mother had birthed, having birthed three brothers before her. Because of this, she was taught how to be a proud Lodainian, learning how to handle property and run the household since she was six. It was a hard life, at least, to the little girl, but she went through the learning with her head held high.

When she was 13, a new slave was taken in by the family, a 17 year old boy named Ismet. She was used to slaves being present around the house, but she wasn’t used to Ismet’s personality. He was a fiery young adult, constantly trying to find loopholes in his work and remaining proud and defiant of his treatment. It never brought him down and she began to converse with the young man to learn why he was so full of pride that shouldn’t be. Instead, he taught her everything he knew before he became a slave, how to have fun, how to live. She became enamored by the stories he told and, as time went on, the two slowly fell in love.

When she herself turned 17, she was engaged to be married to a nobleman that she hardly knew. And when she did found out what he was like, she was repulsed by his behavior. Seemingly charming, he was secretly manipulative and cared only for her family’s fortune. And besides, she loved Ismet too much to even think about marrying someone else. Because of that love, she declared that she would marry Ismet, their slave, instead of the young nobleman she was slated to be married to.

The announcement became quite the scandal and the man was not happy. Soon rumors began spreading of the two practicing blood magic and communing with spirits, letting them possess their bodies to do whatever trickery they love to do. She was appalled by these rumors and tried to assure everyone that she was as faithful to the Church of All as any Lodianian was. Ismet, however, did not follow the Church of All, which easily led the slave to be dismissed and, most likely, killed. The two eloped to save his life and made it into a different country, trying to live their lives simply. It was not to be, for witch hunters soon found them and she was separated from her love after a brief struggle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wizzy The Wizard
I'm gonna be working on a mgae, but I have a question: Do we make up the True Names for the magic, or are there a set of names you want us to use? @Sir Basil
Please feel free to make them up! My example True Name - Sten, for Stone - is an Old Norse word, but that's only because I know Old Norse. I would recommend you either completely invent them, or use a Gaelic, Germanic, Celtic, or Scandinavian language. However, its ultimately up to you!
Name: Lillian Fairview
I adore Lilian, and look forward to seeing her develop! A noblewoman alone in the world is definitely a rocky start... :) Thank you for getting your character together so promptly! As the rest of the characters float in, I'll start puttering away on an IC Thread. :)

I adore Lilian, and look forward to seeing her develop! A noblewoman alone in the world is definitely a rocky start... :) Thank you for getting your character together so promptly! As the rest of the characters float in, I'll start puttering away on an IC Thread. :)
No prob! Glad she's okay.

I finished my character sheet. I hope everything is okay >_>

Name: Ide (ee + da”) Mag Shamhradháin
Ide seems alright - though I have a few things I would like you to expand upon in her backstory.
What's her relationship with Druidism?
What class is her family?
It also seems unlikely that the average nobleman in Gaul would have a library with magical tomes in it. Magical tomes are carefully guarded in the Church's, or found within the Old Road ruins. How would a noble come to own those - was he a mage himself? Remember, magic is a rarity in this world, and mages are just as rare.

Make those changes, and you'll be good to go. Thanks!

• Useful
Reactions: Isho13
Ide seems alright - though I have a few things I would like you to expand upon in her backstory.
What's her relationship with Druidism?
What class is her family?
It also seems unlikely that the average nobleman in Gaul would have a library with magical tomes in it. Magical tomes are carefully guarded in the Church's, or found within the Old Road ruins. How would a noble come to own those - was he a mage himself? Remember, magic is a rarity in this world, and mages are just as rare.

Make those changes, and you'll be good to go. Thanks!
I thought it was hinted that the noble's great granddad was the mage who owned those tomes. Er, but if it can't be done, I'll have to think of another character I guess.

I thought it was hinted that the noble's great granddad was the mage who owned those tomes. Er, but if it can't be done, I'll have to think of another character I guess.
Just change up the backstory a bit, and you'll be right as rain. Find her a new way to find the tomes - maybe she was exploring the woods, or her initiation into the Druidic faith led her down into the Old Road? Take the time to really run wild, and develop your history. I'll be incorporating aspects of it as well continue. :)

Name: Halivon Zeeman

Ethnicity: Myrr

Religion: Church of All

Home Region: Tir-Caredyr

Known Languages: Gods' Good Common, Lodainic, Boreus Lodainic

Appearance: Round face, crowned with shock of hair so brown they look almost black. Pale, hazelnut eyes. Body of medium height, with stocky build and wide shoulders. Prefers to dress in green clothes.

Personality: Taciturn and distant, focused on work and task at hand. Always tries to keep his emotions and outer appearance under control, but when in good company and sufficiently supplied with good vintage becomes jovial, warm-hearted and on rare occasions even funny.

Class: Architect

Skills: Knowledge of mathematics, materials and organization; knows how to read and write

Weaknesses: Doesn't know how to survive outside of a city, generally weaker physical constitution due to working a paperwork oriented job

History: Halivon was born in Tyr-Caredyr, to a family of good and wealthy standing. The boons of the Gods would not stop there, however. He was also gifted with a talent in numbers and spatial imagination. Living in one of the grandest cities in existence, he found himself fascinated with principles of construction and architecture. Arches and pillars, marble and granite, he was fascinated by every element and bit of knowledge that went into making a building.

The wealth he was born into, and his family's traditional respect for a productive talent allowed him to study architecture on a professional level. He would amaze his teachers with almost instinctive understanding of the various axioms, laws and procedures he was taught, and quickly graduated from his studies. Soon enough, he would leave the self-enclosed world of academia and would be released into the grim, real world.

It was a grand, magnificent project. After the last year's autumn floods, the township of Syrhaven lost it's cathedral. Why would the gods let this to happen was a mystery, but the town's bailiffs decided the new shrine would put the old one into its shadow with it's lavishness and size. It would be Halivon's debut, a first beacon of his glory and expertise, or at least that is how he pictured it in his head. He worked fervently, day and night, skipping food, rest and even sleep. Eventually, at some moments, he was not sure if he was lucid or asleep.

He also was not truly sure where the moments of inspiration and ingenuity came from. Lightweight, elegant designs and pillars as thin as necks of swans. Airy, clean ships with plenty of light. Things not seen before in any architecture scripture, or taught by any lecturer. Every time when he looked at the plans later, he had no idea where the ideas came from, or how it was possible they even worked, but when all was in place, the parts of the cathedral would perform even better than expected.

On the day the cathedral was finished, just as it would get sanctified, the All Swords showed up. The architect that lost the bid to Halivon accused him of heresy, that he built the cathedral with help of some mage or spirit, that such building was simply impossible to be without some heretical help. The All Swords put the township of Syrhaven to fire and sword, and Halivon was put in chains and shipped off to be trialled for his crimes.

Last edited:
But I think of the backstory first :/ A different backstory means a diffferent character for me. I didn't mean her to be a heavily religious druid. i was going for more of a wormbook.

But I think of the backstory first :/ A different backstory means a diffferent character for me. I didn't mean her to be a heavily religious druid. i was going for more of a wormbook.

It's probably worth noting that books are sort of upsettingly rare. Medieval books, after all, are not very cost effective . :p give it some more time and thought - I'm sure you'll come up with something great.

@Arcadius - can't wait to see your kid when they're done !

It's probably worth noting that books are sort of upsettingly rare. Medieval books, after all, are not very cost effective . :p give it some more time and thought - I'm sure you'll come up with something great.

@Arcadius - can't wait to see your kid when they're done !
-that's why I made it a nobleman, I know a commoner won't have books or know how to read just because. Plus the setting is fantasy, i don't know how much you're adhering to actual medieval history.

I'll give it some thought about joining this. It sounds good, but I prefer more flexible GMs :/

And I thought Gaul was one of the separated territories? Why is the hunt going on there? Wouldn't they stick to their druidic religion, and kill those who are hunting witches?

And I thought Gaul was one of the separated territories? Why is the hunt going on there? Wouldn't they stick to their druidic religion, and kill those who are hunting witches?

The Church is spreading everywhere, and consolidating power. The purpose of the Witch Hunt is to rid any kind of transgressions against the perceived cultural norms.

Please let me know if there's any further clarification I can give you , or if you need clarification. I realize that this is a somewhat complicated RP, and that the world has a pretty set identity-- it's definitely not for everybody. I'd be very happy to have you, and would love to help make this work! :)

But if Gaul is among the rebellious territory, there has to be rebellious people living there.

How about this? Maybe the nobleman was among the people supporting the rebellion, not going to battle but with money and all that. Rebellious people would make an effort into preserving the tomes, the religion, the mages, and everything the Church hates. This way I don't have to change my character's background (as I really don't want to do so), but she'd have no added advantages because she wouldn't know about this part of the nobleman's past, and if you'd like to, in the future, you could add some cult/sect thing to the story, either to expand my character's plot, or as a thing that is happening in the overall territory of Gaul.

@Sir Basil I'm working on the backstory now and will have my character up soon! I just have one last question (maybe): Can the Spirit Mages communicate with the spirit that melds with their personality? Or is there no other connection after the deal is made?

But if Gaul is among the rebellious territory, there has to be rebellious people living there.

How about this? Maybe the nobleman was among the people supporting the rebellion, not going to battle but with money and all that. Rebellious people would make an effort into preserving the tomes, the religion, the mages, and everything the Church hates. This way I don't have to change my character's background (as I really don't want to do so), but she'd have no added advantages because she wouldn't know about this part of the nobleman's past, and if you'd like to, in the future, you could add some cult/sect thing to the story, either to expand my character's plot, or as a thing that is happening in the overall territory of Gaul.

I think that's a great idea, and would love to have that explored in your backstory!

@Sir Basil I'm working on the backstory now and will have my character up soon! I just have one last question (maybe): Can the Spirit Mages communicate with the spirit that melds with their personality? Or is there no other connection after the deal is made?

They absolutely can communicate with the Spirit. It can be a source of great comfort, or incredible distress for the mage - or both.

• Thank You
Reactions: DustBunny
Good. I have to go now, but later I'll expand on the religion and the other things you pointed out. >_> *runs off to pilates class*

Status
Not open for further replies.