3. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Fantasy, GrimDark, ModFan, Horror, Historical, D&D, Lovecraft
ᛡ W I T C H H U N T ᛡ

The witch hunt has begun.

Ten years ago, the Lodainic Imperatrix Regina Deorum converted to the Church of All, and issued a demand that the people of Lodain - and indeed, all of Donegal - find guidance in the one true religion. Since her conversion, many have adopted the Church of All - including her daughter. Her daughter, the newly crowned Imperatrix, Laurentia II, came into a world where her religion was growing in strength, but her empire was not. Lodain was suffering. All of Donegal was enduring famine and plague - Lodain was no exception. Worse yet, the southern half of the Empire, Dornach, Gaul, and Airmyn had rebelled and overthrown Lodainic control. Laurentia was mocked in the streets, and the Church was mocked along with her. Tempers were rising all around her It became clear that she could not turn a blind eye to the chaos erupting throughout Donegal, and the overwhelming possibility of a religious civil war.

But before there is war, there is always chaos. There were vigilantes, taking the matters of the faith into their own hand. But their effort resulted in the destruction of ancient holy sights, the burning of heretics, and the torture of those who consult with spirits of the Duinnoban - primarily, mages. But there were also the Church's official advocate - the All-Swords that stalked the faithful and unfaithful regions of the world, with a dogged desire to rid the world of any that oppose the Church of All. And there were the mages, of course. The mages, who the Church's tenets demonized, claiming that they were responsible for the demons that now stalked the earth. The widespread panic caused far more violence than the demons ever could.

Something had to be done. The Church needed to show that it was a beacon of strength, and that only through its law, could there be peace in Donegal. And it is already too late for you. You and a small group of others are victims. Victims of plague, famine, war and circumstance. Ally or enemy of the Church, you have been accused of heresy, and your village has been burned, to cauterize the infection you have brought. Perhaps, you have been falsely accused. Perhaps you were a good person. Then again, perhaps not. No matter who you were before, you now find yourself marching in chains across the rocky hills of Moravia, soon to cross the border into Lodain. Once you arrive there, you will be tried, found guilty, and executed by the All-Speakers. Maybe this frightens you. Maybe you have resigned yourself to this. Or maybe, just maybe you can escape... and take your revenge upon your accusers.

The pyres of Lodain have blackened the sky. The witch hunt has begun.

Welcome!

Welcome to the world of Donegal! This is a setting that I have been developing for a while now, and this RP has gone through several incarnations. I'm hopeful that this time, it will take off and capture people's imaginations! Donegal is an island of rich history, complicated magic, demons, angels, and complex politics. In Donegal, your character will have the opportunity to change their fate, by gathering allies, helping others, and getting revenge. Survival will be your character's first priority, but tests of morality, quick thinking, and political savviness will no doubt come into play.

You character will begin this RP with absolutely nothing, being led in cold-iron chains to their final destination; the Fortress of Lacus Arce in the center of Lodain. There, your character will be tried by a panel of All-Speakers - religious leaders - and no doubt found guilty of heresy. Your character's first objective will be to escape your shackles, and form bonds with your fellow prisoners. From there, all of Donegal is open to you. However, as a fugitive from the Faith - your character will be hunted. How your character handles this is entirely up to you.

Likewise, your character's guilt is up to you. It's entirely possible that you were falsely accused, or that you were actually as wicked as your accusers made you out to be. Your character's relationship to both the Faith, and heretics, might change through the course of the story. My role, as a GM, will be to challenge your character's understanding of the world around them, and provide opportunities for your character to gain power, earn respect, save others, or get revenge. This RP will be heavily story driven, and that includes the free-form combat you might find yourself in. Donegal is a dangerous place, and you might find yourself up against brigands and outlaws, cultists and mages, and crazed witch hunters alike. WITCH HUNT is a game of high stakes, dark themes, and grey morality. Because of this, character death may happen, and it will likely be permanent. However, I always aspire to be fair, and aware of dramatic arc and trends. Don't be afraid to die. Death is just another journey.

World Information and an FAQ will follow. Thank you so much for checking out WITCH HUNT, and I hope to read some Characters soon! Please don't be afraid to PM me if you have any questions!

Character Sheet

Your character sheet is the first step into the world of Donegal - but these sheets are just a basic, hardly official notion for what your character is going to be like. Please don't be afraid to PM me for any questions, or clarifications. As well, don't be afraid to add and change your character as they develop, or alter my admittedly bare-bones template. A lot of the criteria on the CS will make a great deal more sense if you read the world information section.

Name: (Your character's full name.)
Gender: (Whatever you like. In most regions of Donegal, Men and Women are largely equal. The most notable exception is Lodain, which is a matriarchy.)
Ethnicity: (Lodain, Myrr, Gaul, Igrisian, Sea Person, Lochan, Islander.)
Religion: (Church of All, Druidic, Namer, Spirit-Worship -- Or none.)
Home Region: (Eireen Island, Lodain, Igris, Airmyn, Gaul, Perth, Brigant, Dornach, Moravia, Tir-Caredyr, Eboyr, or Eir-Vaygyr.)
Known Languages: (Lodainic, Boreus Lodainic, Igrish, Perthic, and/or Gaulian. All players know the Gods' Good Common.)
Appearance: (Picture or description, please. Or both, if there are additional details in your character that are not represented by the image you have chosen. Please keep with the ethnicities and people types previously established and mentioned.)
Personality: (Just a brief summary.)
Class: (Mage, Seeker, Recreants Druid, All-Father, Brewer, Innkeeper, etc.)
----- Type: (If a Mage or Recreant)

----- True Names Known: (If a Mage. Please limit to 1-3 to start. You will have the opportunity to learn more!)
Skills: (These can be mundane skills like brewing or cooking, as well as potent magic or special combat training.)
Weaknesses: ( Fears, failures, and anything your character doesn't excel at. These can be as severe as missing limbs, or as minor as an allergy to peas.)
History: (A background of your character, including their accusation, and subsequent capture.)

FAQ

Q: What should my posts look like? How much writing should I be doing?

The short answer, is I expect you to write as much as you need to throughly explain your character's actions. The longer, probably more helpful answer, is that I would like at least a paragraph or two. If we're going by Iwaku's writing standards, I'd say Intermediate / Advanced. But don't be afraid to submit a character if you're a beginner as well. I want this RP to be a learning and growing experience. If you could post once a week, that would be great. Thank you.

Q: Do I have to play a human? / Do I have to play one of the established races?

Donegal is a low fantasy world. Our friends at Wikipedia say that low fantasy means: "less emphasis on typical elements associated with fantasy, setting a narrative in real-world environments with elements of the fantastical. Sometimes there are just enough fantastical elements to make ambiguous the boundary between what is real and what is purely psychological or supernatural." But for me, low fantasy almost always means that humans are the center of the action, and that humanity's relationship to the supernatural is the central tension. That's my long way of saying that I'd really, really love it if you were human.

That being said... I realize that humans are not everybody's favourite thing to play. Donegal is not immune to magical influence, and the Changed people / Recreants are hardly human in the traditional sense. It's not out of place for magic to change your character into something super or sub-human. But Donegal is not the sort of world where you'll find elves or dwarves, in addition to humans. The primary supernatural creatures are Angels and Demons -- send me a PM if you're interested in playing something like that. We'll talk!

Q: What time period is the world?

Crapsack. By which I mean "dark" ages, or Early Medieval period. Guns aren't really a thing. Cannons aren't even a thing. But, who needs firearms when you've got fireball?

Q: How does Magic work? How much Magic is there?

Again, Donegal is low-magic. That being said, mages are incredibly powerful. The issue is that mages are incredibly rare as well. Magic is either inborn, or the result of dealing with spirits from the realm of dreams and magic - the Duinnoban, or the Faerie. Magic is based upon the notion of "True Naming". Every material - living, dead, or inanimate - has a true name. Mages are able to figure out the true names of the world, and by invoking them, are able to manipulate the world around them. However, it is rare for a mage to know more than a handful of True Names; but the possibilities for even a single Name known are endless.

For example; you know the true name for "Rock" is "Sten". By invoking that true name, a mage is capable of raising bridges, hurling boulders, or encasing himself in rock armor. Your magic is only limited by your creativity.

Q: How will Combat work?

Loosely. I prefer free-form, text based combat personally. I'll generally be playing your adversaries, which will have various strenghts and weaknesses. Given that Donegal is a dark, difficult world - every combat can be a matter of life and death. Sometimes combat should be a last resort.

Q: That's so much world information! Am I expected to know it all?

Honestly, I don't expect you to. Know what you need to know for your character. You'll learn more as you go - or, you won't. And both are fine. My priority is that you have a good time, and if that means further expanding upon some of the things I already have written, that's what that means.

Q: I'm intimidated by how long this post is! / I'm interested, but jeez, this is a lot!

Please don't be scared! I want to help you enjoy this, and I honestly don't want to be scary or threatening at all. I'd love for you to at least give this RP a try, even if you don't necessarily feel comfortable with how huge the world is, or with all of the information. Please PM me if you want help, or have any concerns!

Q: Why didn't you answer my question here?

Woops! Why don't you shoot me a PM?

The World
The island of Donegal is a rocky, small island with many great fields and forests, where mankind makes a simple living. The people of the world live in fear of spirits and demons from the realm of dreams, the Duinnoban, but receive comfort from them as well. They live in small towns and fortresses across the idyllic appearing landscape, and farm the rich soil. No man or woman of Donegal has ever traversed the Great Sea, and what lies beyond it is a mystery - if there is anything at all. The popular consensus is that the people of Donegal are entirely alone with their northern neighbors in Eireen Island - there is nowhere else in the world, beyond their small island. There are worlds beyond their own, however - filled with demons and spirits, but in this world, they are the only humans, and they must learn to live with that.

Religions

The Church of All

The Church of All focuses on worship of the Gods Who Are Many- primordial spirits that have fused into one being. The Gods do not have a name, and are praised for their swarm like influence over the world. The Chruch of All was founded by the Seer - a Myrrish man from Tir Caredyr who was wracked with visions of ten Gods of All, and composed his visions into a many chaptered Holy Book, divided into (so far) 6 books. The Book is called the Book of Voices, referring to the many Voices that spoke to Malachi in his dreams.

Article:
The book teaches that in the beginning of the world, there was the land and the sea. The land was a beautiful maiden and he sea loved her dearly. From the seafoam that lapped on their shores came their son, Marvaanagh. Marvaanagh lived on his mother, and gave names to all the things living on her surface, true names. But he was not happy, because he was the only thing on the surface of his mother that could speak, and though his mother spoke to him,he longed for a peer. Against the wishes of his mother he gathered up sand from her beaches and mixed it with his blood. He spoke to the form he had molded, and called her Geinnee. She became his wife and from their love sprung a host of a dozen children, who had children of their own. These were spirits, the first of the world not human kind.One of the spirits was Finbar who lived with his brother and his brother's wife. He was accomplished in magic and arms, and he desired his brother's wife because he believed he was more worthy of her.

One day he whisked his brother's wife away, running off to a far away castle. His brother was furious and rallied his friends against his brother. They waged war for centuries, until the surface of the earth bled and the sea went salty with tears. The son of Earth and Sea watched in horror as his children and grandchildren killed each other- until they had killed all of them. The surface of the Earth was now wounded and empty save for Geinnee and Marvaanagh who picked through the bodies of their children. They agreed that they could never let this happen again-the loss was too great. They made a pact to deal away this bloodstained world, away from their mother the Earth and their father the Sea, so they did not have to bear the weight of their sin- their dead children. They sealed away their dead children and their battlefield in memories and dreams; this was to be the Duinnoban, land of spirits and dreams.They left their mother the earth behind and their father the sea, fleeing across the surface of his ocean to some desolate patch of beach. This was to become Donegal. Geinnee and Marvaanagh fashioned a blade from the sky and stars, and they drove it into each other's hearts. Where their blood mingled with the sand, new beings spung- the Gods of All.

This race of spirits we're given no names, since Geinnee and Marvaanagh were dead, but they were plagued with memories of another land and the beings that had lived on it, the Duinnoban. Troubled by these memories and wishing to put an end to them, the gods of All crafted 12 beings of starlight and sand, with wings of sunlight to travel across the sea and find the Duinnoban, and do battle with whatever lived there. These were the first angels.

When the 12 reached the Duinnoban, the saw a horrible sight. The battlefield was crawling with half formed beings that had been birthed from the blood of Geinnee and Marvaanagh 's children and from the sun that had shone on them. Only one of these beings was perfectly formed, and his shape was a reflection of the 12's own - and he somehow had a name. He was called Bel. The 12 were shocked, and asked for names from this being. He named them all, and when he did they were stricken with free will.
Six of the 12 desired to return to their Gods of All, while the other six preferred to stay with the one who had given them names. But he was born of blood and battle and wicked through and through. He corrupted the six that he named, and they became the seven evils of the world: Abraxus, the Lord of Deceit, Enoch, the Lord of Violence, Vrakesh, The Lord of Filth, Malconia, The Lord of Lust, Turagath, the Lord of Avarice, and Orobas, Lord of Apathy. Bel was their king and leader, the King of Kings - who embodied Pride. The six who returned to the Gods Who Are Many explained their situation and told them their new names. The Gods Who Are Many were furious that Bel had corrupted their angels simply by giving them names. They crafted another six angels to reform the 12, and bestowed them with names of their own design. They commanded their angels to go to the Duinnoban and cast out their fallen brothers .
They would not kill them, because kinslaying was a sin, but they threw then from the Duinnoban into the Darkness of the Night Sky- the Void. There they have remained ever since, trying to manipulate the world to their own ends.The Gods Who Are Many refused to kill their children, but they needed a group of people who could kill this great threat to the world. From the sands of the Duinnoban, stained with the blood of the children of Geinnee and Marvaanagh and the wet clay of Donegal, they made a race , susceptible to the influence of evil but not of their blood, who had a sacred duty to do battle with the evils of the world. And they called this race mankind.

The Church of All is headed by an All-Voice, the son of Malachi, who refused to take a name, saying that he was merely a conduit for the Gods will, and that he spoke the language of the Gods. Beneath the All-Voice in the hierarchy are the All-Speakers, who serve as missionaries, after learning the Book of Voices by heart. The lay brothers and sisters of the church- the All-Brothers/Sisters- are beneath them. All-Brothers/Sisters who are put in charge of a specific chapel dedicated to the Church of All are commonly referred to as All-Fathers/Mothers, and enjoy a higher station that the All-Brothers and Sisters, and are generally the eldest and most experienced members of their chapel.

All Swords

The All-Swords are the militant branch of the Church of All - and they have all undergone the Change, a mystery to even those within the church. The Change universally turned their eyes orange, and gave them skills necessary for hunting heretics and demons alike. There are currently five of them, one of each of the regions completely converted to the Church of All (Tir-Caredyr, Eboryr, Brigant, Eir-Vaygyr, and Lodain.) All of them are gifted at languages, and represent their nation with exceptional patriotism. They only answer to the All-Voice himself, and do not have to follow the usual rules and stipulations of the church. They are led by a Changed warrior named Salathiel, who reportedly is the only man in the world who has done battle with one of the Prime Evils. He deals with the day to day affairs of the All-Swords and provides guidance morally, spiritually, and often physically through their Change. All All-Swords are buried - if there were remains to bury - within the crypt in Tir Caredyr's grand temple - tombs that were specially carved and designed for each of them. Construction of the tomb began when they were appointed, and ended when they died. . No All-Sword had ever died of old age, not a single one. There were always boys and girls training to be All-Swords, boys and girls who would replace them when their time was finally up.

Seekers of Ecclesiastes
These are the scribes and researchers of the Church of All. Many high lords and high ladies had Seekers at their sides, to act as advisors. They commonly work with All-Swords to combat threats to the Church of All. The All-Swords dealt with the demons and sinners alike, but Seekers provided the information needed to confront them. They were minds behind All-Sword muscle, and the two had sort of a sense of kinship between the two of them, the only ones in modern society who had been Changed. They are educated in a special college in Lodain, where they learn the secrets of the Book of Voices by the scribe Malachi - and then, they had their Change. Nobody knew what the Change was, but it made the Seeker's blood and eyes black. After a Seeker's blood turned black, they were set loose in the world, to research the locations that the prophet Malachi described, or to determine possible solutions to the extra planar troubles faced by Donegal.

The Enemy / Heretics / Namers

The Enemy is the Church of All's name for the loose coalition of worshippers who adhere to their beliefs- but instead of adhering to the belief that the Gods of All have the interests of making at heart, the believe that Bel, and the other so-called "prime evils" represent the primal powers of humanity. They believe that although these aspects of mankind are not pretty, they are something that all of mankind experiences, and this provides a universal experience that ultimately unifies mankind as a whole. They believe that it is important to act on feelings- positive or negative, in order to move past the emotions, or even use then to further a greater good. The Namers represent all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification.

The Namers pride themselves on the individuality of their membership. Central is the idea that an individual must enforce their own meaning on life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses, and the Gatherings encourage strong-self esteem- believing that pride is what allows man to do great things. Thus, the prime evils are a balancing force to The Namers, and without the so-called sins, there would be no progress. The Namers suggest that they should instead internalize their gods and, therefore, worship themselves; hence the maxim, "I am my own god". Unlike the strict structure of the Church of All, The Namers are not well organized. They tend to form small, tightly knit cults (they call them Gatherings) headed by a priest or a priestess referred to as The Named One. The leader of these Gatherings is always a Mage- magic is respected as the truest form of freedom and is seen as Bel's gift to mankind, since e was the one who brought True Names back into the world. Blood magic is praised highly because unlike the other two forms of magic, that involve being a conduit for the power of a spirit, the Namers believe that the spirit is powered from the blood of the caster, making the caster the source of magic. Education is encouraged as well, but they believe that a member must take it into their own hands. The Gatherings have some aspect of meritocracy- but the Named One is the leader above all else.

Druids
An ancient religion primarily practiced in Gaul, Southern Igris, and Dornach. Although it shares many characteristics with the basic spirit-worship found throughout Donegal, there is one key difference; druids believe that all other spirits are inferior to the King and Queen of the Duinnoban; Ciarán of the Horns and his wife, Mara the Mother. Ciarán is always shown with either horns or antlers upon his head in the great rock carvings that litter Gaul, Igris and Dornarch, and he is associated with nature, wilderness, sexuality, hunting and the life cycle. He is in command of one of the two forces that govern all other spirits, and indeed, the entire world; time. He is a dual spirit with his wife, Mara, a fertility goddess who presides over planting and harvesting. She is also commonly associated with bodies of water, as opposed to her husbands forests. She is in charge of fate, according to the Druids, and determines "how the waters will hit the rocks."
The prevalence of caves and underground rivers within regions where Druidism was prominent led the Gaul's to believe that they were paths that had been carved by Ciarán to serve as a way for his wife to reach him from the sea, and that all rivers, lakes, and inland bodies of water came from the caves that he had constructed for her. Gauls call this network of caves "The Dark Road" or "The Old Road", and use it a way of ensuring that their dead reach their Gods - they scatter the ashes of their dead in the underground waterway, where it will hopefully drift off to reach its maker.

Magic

All magic is conducted through the Duinnoban. This is the land of spirits and dreams. The Duinnoban is the place between places, the thing that kept the world of Men safe from demons and isolated from angels as well, the buffer zone between all worlds. And mortal Men went there when they slept, and could see only the flicker and fading of dreams that would shape the world to come - but when they awoke, even those flickers were lost. Supposedly, the Enemy made deals with the demons to peer through the veil, to channel the powers and see the true nature of things. It was dangerous, though, and it was easy for the Duinnoban to send creatures and spirits to possess the dreamers, if the dreamers make themselves available.

The Duinnoban, as the physical region where people go during sleep, manifests as a seemingly endless battlefield, although the battle had long ended. Sometimes, aspects of the waking world - such as a familiar tree or ruin - can be seen through the orange haze and the smoke, but they often fade away. To those that are Changed, the Duinnoban only appears as this battlefield, but those who are normal, Unchanged, often see the battlefield transformed into something else. Spirit-worshippers often try to interpret these images, believing that the Spirits within the Duinnoban are attempting to alert them to something that will happen in the waking world.

Many people worship the spirits of the Duinnoban, believing that each aspect of the natural world mirrored in the Duinnoban has powerful magic that they extend to the waking world. In this belief system, they believe that all things have a soul, and a spirit - and that these spirits can be reasoned with. Every mountain, river, spring, marsh, tree and rocky outcrop is inspirited. Some spirits take on guardian roles, where others take on more wrathful ones. However, it can generally be agreed that no matter the role that they take, all spirits are exceptionally dangerous - but also the source of all magic. Magic falls into three cateogries; Spirit, Pact, and Blood.

Spirit
A rarity amongst the magic world; a spirit mage's magical gifts are awakened when a spirit from the Duinnoban takes an interest in a child. The child is affected with unusual dreams, and during these dreams is offered a promise of power and respect by a spirit - either helpful or harmful - in exchange for some influence over the physical body of the child - melding with the child's personality.

This is not a split personality, nor is the personality remarkably different save that the effect child, when in stressful situations, will be able to call upon magic to defend themselves, or to comfort themselves. With guidance, the child can call upon these powers at will by tapping into the feelings that the spirit they bonded with most responds to. A rarity amongst the magic world; a spirit mage's magical gifts are awakened when a spirit from the Duinnoban takes an interest in a child. The child is affected with unusual dreams, and during these dreams is offered a promise of power and respect by a spirit - either helpful or harmful - in exchange for some influence over the physical body of the child - melding with the child's personalty.Spirit mages tend to move to two extremes on a spectrum; either they wear their emotions on their sleeves, or they are very good at concealing and controlling their reactions, burying their true feelings underneath. They are a rarity amongst mages, and are viewed as dangerous and tempestuous - some believe that they are possessed by demons, and even prior to the institution of the Church of All, the Lodainic empire has viewed Spirit mages as anomalies who must be watched closely in order to control.

Pact

A budding scholar may find the True Name of one of the Duinnoban's spirits, which they can then use to call the spirit. Often times, this Word is found within ancient texts kept by the Seekers of Ecclesiastes, within the grand northern libraries. These Words stem from the ancient, primordial language that the first beings on Donegal spoke. By speaking the Word, a spirit can be called, and the scholar can use the True Name to command the spirit. By commanding the spirit, the summoner can ask for the True Names of other things in the waking world ; allowing the caster dominance over them.The spirit called may not know many Words - generally, they know the true names of specific elements, or aspects of the natural world. By speaking these names, they call these elements or aspects into the world, out of seemingly thin air. Speaking the words can be taxing upon the caster, however, and prolonged speaking of True Names and Words can result in nausea, exhaustion, and pain; most pact-mages keep their magic for dire situations only.

Although their personalities are flexible, most pact-mages have a scholarly inclination, as that was what gave them their powers in the first place. Many are ambitious, and power-hungry for more Words, while others see the learning of Words and True Names to be a nearly sacred practice. They are the most common mages, and enjoy a lack of scrutiny from the outside.

Blood
Like pact mages, blood mages call a spirit from the Duinnoban. However, rather than using a True Name, blood mages spill their blood - or the blood of another - to call the spirit. Depending on what blood was spilled, different spirits can be called. Generally, if it is the blood of the caster, the spirit called will relate to pain, self-sacrifice, or masochism, whereas if it is the blood of another, unwilling subject, the spirit called will relate to murder, betrayal, or violence; depending on the circumstances. The spirit, in exchange for a steady supply of blood, from either the caster or other sources, will lend them power.

Unlike spirit mages, blood mages do not permanently have a link with their spirit ally, the spirit will only lend their aid with the spilling of blood. Likewise, blood mages do not command the spirit as a pact mage does; the connection between a blood mage and their spirit is a business agreement, founded upon an exchange of goods for services. However, many blood mages masquerade as pact mages, or rarely as spirit mages, as blood mage is universally reviled, as the spirits called are usually dangerous, and more inclined towards destructive ends than the spirits bound to spirit mages. As well, the amount of blood needed to invoke the spirits' power increases with each request.

Blood mages have varied personalities, but many tend towards two extremes; ambitious, or desperate. Some people turn to blood magic because they believe it will help them in times of great stress and extremes, wheres others turn to blood magic because they desire power, and are too impatient to learn Words, and the time that they would have been chosen by a Spirit is long past. Blood mages are rare, as many believe the risks outweigh the rewards, and the illegality of blood magic is a deterrent. The Lodainic empire punishes blood mages with death by strangulation, or hanging - if the blood mage's blood is spilled, it is believed their spirit ally will do anything to protect its investment. Lately, they have been burned, following their strangulation.

The Change

Little is known about the Change that is used largely by the Church of All. it is an alchemical ritual with no true magic behind it, and it both psychological and physical in what is done to the subject. There are two major types, the Change of Domination and the Change of Preservation.

No matter the type, all Changed People, when they enter the Duinnoban to dream, can see the region with perfect clarity, and see Spirits for what they really are. Thus, they are ignored by Spirits utterly and are not subject to their influence. For this reason, none of them can perform any kind of magic. Both rituals were performed unofficially prior to the institution of the Church of All, without the religious overtones. These men and women are referred to as "Recreants", and All-Swords hunt them above all else, although there is great desire to bring them into the fold of the Church.

The Change of Preservation
This is the ritual performed on Seekers of Ecclesiastes. The major components involve an extensive reworking of the body, where the potential Changed patient is drained of all of their blood, and it is replaced with a thick, black fluid crafted from dog's blood, ginger, henbane, yarrow, and other ingredients that are known only to the Pain-Tasters that perform the ritual within the city of Abutetur Vulnerum in Northern Lodain. The transfusion takes place over the course of a month, and usually is performed upon six to twelve individuals at the time. Roughly a third survive the Change of Preservation.The results are not uniform, but some characteristics that are always the same include the change in blood and eye colour. The eyes are always darkened, sometimes with the entire iris being black, and the blood is similarly darkened. The natural pink places on the skin become grey or ashy. Their metabolism slows down to a crawl and their life-span extends unnaturally. Although it has not been documented well, it is supposed that a Changed person could live far more than a 100 years, but the ritual only came into common practice within the past 10 years, so its unknown what the results could be. However, some Recreants who have undergone the Change of Preservation have reportedly lived into their early 200s. Possible side effects of the Change of Preservation are generally related to the build up of fluids within the Seeker's body, due to poor circulation and a bad metabolic rate. There is often a change in facial features, including the thickening of the lips, tongue, and nostrils, as well as enlarged internal organs. Many Seeker's experience hair-loss, and many of them shave their heads in response to clumps of their hair falling out. They frequently have nose-bleeds.

The Change of Domination

This is the ritual preformed on all All-Swords. The major components consist of bloodletting and indoctrination, as the memories of the All-Sword's life prior to their position within the church are wiped away, as well as memories of their family. Their faces are scarred by the men and women who preform the ritual - Pain-Tasters, as they're called. The are given some strange herbs and potions to eat and drink for the space of a year while subject to indoctrination and heavy religious education from the Church of All. It is known to be a very painful ritual.The results are not uniform, but some characteristics that are always the same include the change in eyecolour - all All-Swords have orange eyes. Their eyes are also primed for night vision, as a thin, mirror-like structure at the back of their eye helps reflect light that was not already absorbed by the eye back into the eye a second time. When lights are shown on the All-Swords in dim light, their eyes will reflect the light so brightly that it looks like they are glowing. As well, their metabolism speeds up, and their sex-drive also increases. Perhaps as a result of their hyper-metabolism, those who undergo the Change of Domination have a greatly shortened life-span, only 40-50 years long. Although they do not show their age for most of their lives, the last five years of a Changed person's life involve their age rapidly catching up with them, leaving them decrepit and frail.Other possible effects are heightened senses, particularly the sense of smell, changes in hair color (usually a lightening), and resistance to the elements and harsh weather. Provided that they can keep up with the demands of their metabolisms, many Changed people find themselves no longer tiring, while still requiring sleep. Some side effects from a bad reaction to the Change are a permanent catabolic state, or the opposite, an anaerobic imbalance, with all of the side effects that entails.

Peoples

Lodains
Male Height (5'4''-6'4'') Female Height (5'8''-6'8'')
Hair Colour: Very Light Brown to Pure White.
Eye Colour: Universally blue, although in many shades.
Skin Colour: Moravian Lodains have a more peach skin-tone, whereas Lodains from the Lodainic region are very pale.
Civilized and imperial, Lodains are part of the fading Lodainic Empire; a matriarchal empire headed by an Imperatrix (Empress). Free-born women in Lodain, (civaes) enjoy full property, voting, and marriage rights, and are not subject to capital punishment. They have a right to trial. Free-born men in Lodain are citizens (cives), but can not inherit property unless they are the sole heir, and their mother has no surviving sisters. They can also not vote, or hold public office. Unlike their female counterparts, they are subject to capital punishment, but they do have a right to trial. Slavery is not uncommon within Lodain, and most wealthy families have at least one slave, usually of Igrisian descent. They lead lavish lives, with many great public works and structures dominating their homeland - however, the current Imperatrix, Imperatrix Laurentia II , has not engaged in much building of her own, and the overall production of luxury goods and public works has come to a screeching halt. The empire is very much in decline, and beneath the fabulous exterior, the cracks are starting to show. The capital city of the empire in Northern Lodain, Moridunum Demetarum, remains rich with culture, and Lodains enjoy a quality of life otherwise unseen in Donegal. Most Lodains, following the Great Conversion of the Lodainic Imperatrix, Regina Deorum, have also converted to the Church of All, and follow its tenets strictly. The most numerous ethnicity in Donegal. Lodains are found most numerously within the province of Lodain, but also extend through Moravia, into Northern Dornach. During the height of the Lodainic Empire, their territory consisted of Lodain, Igris, Moravia, Airmyn, Gaul, Perth, and the Northern half of Dornarch. Their current Empire consists of Moravia, Lodain, and Igris, following the unification of the Southern regions (Dornarch, Gaul, Perth, and Airmyn) against the Empire. The Empire has a tight grip on Moravia, due to their shared cultural background and homogenous population, but relations with their other colony, Igris, are much more strained. Lodains speak The Gods' Good Common, and Lodainic. They rarely to bother the languages of their colonies.

Igrisians

Male Height (5'0-6'2'') Female Height (4'11-6'0'')Hair Colour: Dark Brown to Light Red. Never blonde, never black. Most Igrisians grey prematurely. Many Igrisians wear their hair in a long, thick braid; it serves as a status symbol, with longer, thicker braids belonging to more powerful Igrisians. The style is seen in both men and women.
Eye Colour: Green, Hazel, Brown.
Skin Colour: Peach, in Northern Igris, light tan in Southern Igris and Northern Airmyn. Many Igrisians have freckles.
Since the early days of the Lodainic Empire, Igris has been part of it, due to proximity more than anything else. However, they have a different sort of society than the structured and imperial Lodains. Prior to the colonization of Igris; Igrisians had many different noble families ruled by an Eril and an Erilessa, who determined the rules of their provinces and of the families beneath them. Prior to the matriarchal Lodainic empire, Igrisians had a relative state of gender equality, with female warriors and leaders prized just as much as men. Igrisians also have a degree of reverence and hero worship for the ancestors of these noble houses; all four of the ruling noble houses were founded by heroes. Most Igrisians are farmers or fishermen by trade, although Darin the White, a bard, is an important cultural figure, resulting in most Igrisians having some degree of musical talent and training. Following the Great Conversion of the Lodainic Imperatrix, Regina Deorum, the Igrisians were one of the slowest to take to the Gods Who Are Many, much like the Gauls, and it has strained their relationship with the Lodains. They have attempted many rebellions agains the Lodains, but all of them have resulted in a bloody slaughter. They actively resent their Lodainic over-lords. Igrisians speak The God's Good Common, Lodainic (usually poorly), and their native language, Igrish.

Lochans

Male Height (5'0-6'2'') Female Height (4'11-6'0'')
Hair Colour: Black to Brown. (In pure-blooded Lochans, rare)
Eye Colour: Yellow. (In pure-blooded Lochans, rare)
Skin Colour: Light tan, often freckled.
Lochans are the native people that survive off of the large central lake within Igris. They are a unique ethnicity and bloodline that has become diluted over the decades. According to legend, the Lochans were descended from Igraine of the Spirits, a powerful mage, and a great warrior named Gaheris. When she lost her lover, Igraine's tears eventually became Loch Deora, the largest lake in all of Donegal. She and Gaheris's children populated the lake-side and each of them carried a little magic in their blood.The Lochan bloodline has since become diluted since the days of Igraine, due to breeding with the native Igrisians and thus, mages are less and less common amongst their people. Those with magical talent uniformly have dark brown or black hair and yellow eyes. Lochan mage circles boast the largest amount of natural, Spirit mages as opposed to the other magical gatherings of the world. Most Lochan live and work with the lake, as either fishermen or lake-side farmers. Their ships are said to be the fastest in the known world, and the traditional art of ship building is passed from generation to generation. Lochans speak the Gods' Good Common, Igrish, and Lodainic (usually badly).

Gauls

Male Height (5'0-6'5'') Female Height (4'11-6'2'')
Hair Colour: Usually Red or Brown.
Eye Colour: Green, Hazel, Brown. Rarely, blue - suspected to be a result of inbreeding with the Lodains.
Skin Colour: Light tan. Many Gauls have freckles.
A proud people formerly part of the Igrisian empire; they were instrumental in leading the rebellion of the Southern provinces against the Lodainic empire. Their strong faith in the druidic spirits, Ciarán of the Horns and his wife, Mara, pushed them away from the Church of All, and from Lodain as a whole. Their strong religious unity, and their unflinching support of the spirits as a formidable force led their rebellion to success, along with the resources of Perth, Dornach, and Airmyn. Although they have much in common with the Igrisian people in terms of their belief; reverence for ancestors and heroes, they differ in their nature-worship; which Igrisians do not engage in. They value freedom above everything else. Gauls operate in clans. Powerful families ruled over other families who accepted their protection from their neighbors and from monsters. A clan-chief is referred to as a "ceannard". Many of these clans claim mythological founders, or former heroes ; just as the Igrisians claim that their Erils and Erilessas are descended from heroes. A clan consisted of everybody who lives on the territory of the clan-chief, or on the territory of those who owe allegiance to this chief. The clan leader's position is not a hereditary one; when a leader arises in the clan who is not the chief, he may call out the old chief and duel him to the death. If he kills him, than he may take his place. If the chief dies through other means; his wife becomes the new chief until she too is called out. Gauls are a largely gender-indifferent society. Gauls speak The God's Good Common, Gaulian, and sometimes Igrish and Lodainic. Most Gauls are able to understand Igrish, even if they can't speak it.

Myrrs

Male Height (4'10''-6'0'') Female Height (4'8-5'10'')
Hair Colour: Usually very dark brown or black. Rarely, a dark auburn.
Eye Colour: Brown, Hazel.
Skin Colour: Dark olive.
The Myrrs are native to the swamps and plains of Tir Caredyr and Eboryr. Tir Caredyr's capital city (for which the province is named) is the largest in the known world, save for the Lodainic capital of Moridunum Demetarum. The Myrrs are also the ethnicity that the Church of All originates with, from their great scribe Malachi - who serves as a great cultural hero to them. They are the most devout people in Donegal, and most of their life and livelihood is structured around the teachings of the Church of All. Their government, culture, and customs are determined by the Church of All. They are a superstitious people, who do not trust druids or spirits - preferring their church. The church's prevalence has led to wide-spread education, and most Myrrs can read and write. Myrrs take on a variety of trades, given their partially urban, partially agrarian society. Due to the Myrrs' focus on the Church of All, other races are not trusted easily - unless it has been clear that they have converted. Many Myrrs go on pilgrimage to either root out the evil of the world (heretics and heresy, what they refer to as "The Enemy") or to spread the word of their faith. Alternatively, others engage in witch-hunts - capturing and executing any mages that they believe are consorting with demons and engaging in what their holy book explicitly forbids. No self-respecting Myrr would willingly become a mage - for this reason, they do not have Pact Mages. Myrrs speak the God's Good Common, and at least two other languages; usually Lodainic and another.

Islanders

Male Height (5'4''-6'4'') Female Height (5'8''-6'8'')
Hair Colour: Usually white-blonde. Always either wavy or curly.
Eye Colour: Pale blue or pale green.
Skin Colour: Very pale.
Native to Eireen Island, where the majority of Donegal's mineral wealth can be found in the form of precious stones; particularly lapis lazuli. They are isolated, and rely upon the Lodainic Empire's major ports for a connection to the rest of Donegal. Islanders rarely leave Eireen Island since the Island is largely self-sufficient; with the people boasting a successful agrarian society in addition to their gemstone trade. Despite the bitter cold of Eireen Island, they have discovered a secret way to grow crops in freezing temperatures - most mainlanders suspect magic is involved, and actively resent their success. The Islanders have a society where there are district, legal assemblies ( Þing) where a chieftain speaks on the behalf of the people under their protection. The chieftains (sing. goði, pl. goðar) represent the strongest power on the Island. The goðar were not elected to their positions, but rather own their title. The position is most commonly inherited, but it could also be bought or sold. The office of the goði is called the goðorð. The goðorð was not delimited by strict geographical boundaries. Thus a free man could choose to support any of the goðar of his district. The supporters of the goðar are called Þingmenn ("assembly people"). In exchange for the goði protecting their interests, the Þingmann provide armed support to their goði during feuds or conflicts. The Þingmenn are also required to attend regional and national assemblies. The goðar gather once every year, at the start of spring, to settle the disputes of the Island, and convene with an Emissary from Lodain (with the title of "Pararius") about the events in the mainland. Roughly half of the Islanders have converted to The Church of All, while the other worship the spirits of the world. Prior to the great Conversion, ever goðar had a Siden (Masc.) or Sidsa (Fem.) at their side; a powerful Spirit or Blood mage that is particularly gifted at seeing the future. Now, many of the converted Islanders call for the execution or trial of the Siden and Sidsas for conversing with demons. Despite this recent turn of events, blood magic was previously seen as an acceptable art, quite different than its demonized nature in the rest of Donegal. Islanders speak Boreus Lodainic - the Northern version of the Lodain's language. There are some pronunciation differences, but the language is largely the same. A few of them speak the Gods' Good Common.

Sea Peoples
Male Height (5'0-6'5'') Female Height (4'11-6'2'')
Hair Colour: Usually very dark brown or black. Rarely, a dark auburn.
Eye Colour: Green, Hazel, Brown. Rarely, blue - suspected to be a result of inbreeding with the Lodains.
Skin Colour: Light tan in Perth and Airmyn, Dark tan in Brigant.
Culturally, the Sea Peoples are a blend between the Igrisians and the Myrrs. Like the Igrisians,the vast majority of them are either farmers or fishermen, and the sea is of great importance to them. Although Lochan's make the fastest and finest boats for lakeside travel, sea vessels from the ports of Perth, Brigant, and Airmyn are prized for their beauty and reliability.The harbor in Perth, Trefdraeth, is particularly famous, and much of Donegal's wealth passes through its waters'. As a consequences of the sea's importance, most of them worship sea-spirits. There is great wealth amongst the Sea People, as their territories have made the most out of their coastal farms and the bounty of the sea. Like the Myrrs, however, their society is structured to accommodate a large middle class and relatively few impoverished and wealthy individuals in comparison, as opposed to other peoples in Donegal. Perth, Airmyn, and Brigant each are divided into six 'Isiarllaeths', which are controlled by either an Isiarll (masc.) or a Isiarlles (fem.) The collective eighteen Isiarlls/Isiarlleses meet once every six years to discuss the region's welfare as a whole, but the six Isiarlls/Isiarlleses from the same province (e.g. All the Isiarlls/Isiarlleses from Perth) meet once a year to discuss their specific issues. Sea Peoples speak Perthic, and the God's Good Common. Perthic is considered to be the most difficult Donegal language to learn, as the pronunciation is very different than the other Donegalic languages. It shares no ancestor with the current tongues spoken in Donegal - leading most to believe that Perthic is the language that is spoken by spirits in the Duinnoban.

Map
FIMAP_zpsfgkll0ol.png~original

Those who are slain in the arms of the Gods of All are not dead. Nay, they are alive, but you will perceive not.

Accepted Characters

[/hr]​

Ide Mag Shamhradháin / F / Gaul / Mage (Pact)
Lillian Fairview / F / Lodain / Noble
Halivon Zeeman / M / Tir-Caredyr / Architect
Lloyl Ether Remane / M / Lodain / Mage (Spirit)
Ronan Khinganme / M / Lodain / Mage (Spirit)
Gaheris Wolfe Leighton / M / Igris - Lochan / Resistance Leader
Talulla Ni Eoin / F / Igris / Herb Witch
Jasper Ferrutius / M / Tir-Caredyr / Guardsman
Cadoc Ulfgeir / M / Gaul / Hired Lout
Eppenos, ''Brenhin'' Gae Bulg / M / Gaul / Druid Mage (Spirit - Blood)

CALL FOR CHARACTERS -- ENDED
[/hr][/hr]

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Sir Basil
I am definitely interested. However, I am unable to fully look at all of the hiders and read all of the information to decide what kind of character I want to play. My friend whom I have not seen in a long time is spending the night so I will look at it in more detail tomorrow after she leaves.

I'd totally love to join, I just need a character. And so far...nothing's coming to me. >_<

I am definitely interested. However, I am unable to fully look at all of the hiders and read all of the information to decide what kind of character I want to play. My friend whom I have not seen in a long time is spending the night so I will look at it in more detail tomorrow after she leaves.

Definitely! I'm delighted to have you on board, and I understand that its a lot to read! Let know if there's any questions you might have.

I'd totally love to join, I just need a character. And so far...nothing's coming to me. >_<

Take some time to think about it. I appreciate the interest! If you need any further details, I'm happy to help fill in any holes. :)

DAMMIT. I want to... but there is like no room left for me to take rps... shit x.x

DAMMIT. I want to... but there is like no room left for me to take rps... shit x.x
If you have room in the future, please let me know! I'd love to have you aboard. :)

Thanks for the hit up Vio but I have my hands full with my current roster of RP's. This looks AMAZING though! Best of luck with it and if you need an Ad banner made, let me know. I'd be more than happy to help with advertisements!

I have to agree with Wolf, I just don't have the time between my job and the other RPs I'm in to commit to this ; -;

Thanks for the hit up Vio but I have my hands full with my current roster of RP's. This looks AMAZING though! Best of luck with it and if you need an Ad banner made, let me know. I'd be more than happy to help with advertisements!
I have to agree with Wolf, I just don't have the time between my job and the other RPs I'm in to commit to this ; -;
I made myself an Ad Banner ! Thank you though!
Please send out the link to the RP, if you have friends who might be interested. :)

• Love
Reactions: Soulserenity20
This looks AMAZING!! I totally think I have the time to join this and would gladly be a part if you'd have me~!

This looks AMAZING!! I totally think I have the time to join this and would gladly be a part if you'd have me~!

I would love to have you ! I'm excited to have you on board. :) Let me know if you have any questions!

It looks very interesting, @Sir Basil , I'd be definitely up for this if you decide to go live with the rp.

I definitely want to go live with this. I'd love to have you along for the ride ! If you need any help putting your character together , let me know !

I'm interested, but it is indeed a very long post. Are you still looking for people? I don't want to commit to reading it all if there are no spots left >_>

Looks very interesting. May take me a bit to craft a character for this one, but I'd definitely be interested in this.

I'm interested, but it is indeed a very long post. Are you still looking for people? I don't want to commit to reading it all if there are no spots left >_>

Definitely looking for people still! We don't have any character sheets yet. I'll probably close the post, and get started on the IC when I have five or so complete character sheets. :) I'd love to have you aboard !

Looks very interesting. May take me a bit to craft a character for this one, but I'd definitely be interested in this.

Take your time ! I realize that it's a LOT to read, and I'd prefer you to take the time to make a character you love !

Both of you -- please let me know if there's anything I can do to help ! I'm happy to clarify anything that needs clearing up. :)

Good! In these kind of roleplays most of the time I go for druids, but I still want to read it all. I'm doing so now, bit by bit. I'll start working on a character when I'm done reading n.n Should I post it here?

Definitely looking for people still! We don't have any character sheets yet. I'll probably close the post, and get started on the IC when I have five or so complete character sheets. :) I'd love to have you aboard !

Take your time ! I realize that it's a LOT to read, and I'd prefer you to take the time to make a character you love !

Both of you -- please let me know if there's anything I can do to help ! I'm happy to clarify anything that needs clearing up. :)

The only really question that comes to mind is just a bit more clarification on the True Names. Are we going for "everything has a true name" or is more basic? For example, let's go with something like a lantern; would a mage just have to know the true name of the lantern, or would he/she have to know the true names of all of the lantern's components?

The only really question that comes to mind is just a bit more clarification on the True Names. Are we going for "everything has a true name" or is more basic? For example, let's go with something like a lantern; would a mage just have to know the true name of the lantern, or would he/she have to know the true names of all of the lantern's components?

Everything has a true name. By combining true names, you would be able to control the lantern. So if you knew the word for iron, fat/ oil, and flame : your character could spontaneously generate lanterns. Mages that control mixed metals, like Brass, have to know the name of the two metals that make it up.

However , when it comes to organic materials / animals , you only need to know the name of the general species. All roses have the same true name - all dogs have the same true name. People, on the other hand - all have unique true names. Mages often spend their entire life trying to learn their name , so they can have mastery over themselves.

Good! In these kind of roleplays most of the time I go for druids, but I still want to read it all. I'm doing so now, bit by bit. I'll start working on a character when I'm done reading n.n Should I post it here?

Please ! there is a Druidic religion that might be of interest to you , but if you're imagining more traditional d&d style Druidism -- it's pretty unlikely. On the other hand, you could be a Mage (who follows the Druidic practice ) who knows the true name of a certain species of animal or plant. :) can't wait to see your character !

Reactions: Isho13
Status
Not open for further replies.