Wira Boarding School

The response was very... Peculiar. No peculiar was an understatement. It sounded like the man had people tailing him. How absurd. The school would have done an investigation on those who were wanted criminals, they had to with all of the rich children attending Wira. So how could they have missed Kael? Or maybe it wasn't something so grand like an international criminal. The man did mention something about his species, Yani thought, frowning. The woman was a fairly intelligent being, and so after a few seconds of running every known species she could think of, she couldn't place where Kael belonged to.

She raised an eyebrow, the frown vanishing from her face.

"Am I in danger for conversing with you?" She asked. "I'd hate to die so young." A crooked smile appeared on her lips, as if she couldn't very well believe that this teacher could be in any real danger. This was the stuff of children's books after all! Or at least, that was what she hoped.

The teacher chuckled, letting his head drop for a moment. When he looked back up at her, his eyes were dancing with the laughter she'd just heard. Yes, he probably sounded suspicious the way he'd worded it. And they had done background checks, everything was in spit-spot order. There was only one person at the school that knew his little secret, and it was out of necessity; the Headmaster.

"No, my dear, you are quite safe with me." the grin changing to a more thoughtful look though never leaving his eyes, "That is unless...well, surly..." shaking his head, "no...you would do that. Although then there is...hmm"but he winked at her to show he was trying to joke around a little. In truth with him before her like this, she had absolutely nothing to worry about.

The man - was he a man? - was a well enough person. Yani offered him a small smile for his joke, although the expression never reached her eyes. She didn't like it much when people hid things from her, it made her very suspicious and nervous. And although she hadn't made up her mind to do so, her heart almost told her to pursue this man as a partner. But alas, she knew what secrets did to her life. It brought in lies and cheating and fights, both of the verbal and physical kind.

"So... If you are on the hunt," she said mildly, "What brings you here to a boarding school? Surely someone with such an adventurous life such as yourself wouldn't be stuck here."

Stuck here... My, wasn't that a thought. Yani wished she could get out, wished she could leave this place and be out living out a dream. But a dream is only a dream until you go out and make it reality. She screwed up her life early. Her mother had warned her about her easy heart. How Yani resented that woman... Why would you tell someone to not love so easily? Perhaps if her mother had drilled it in harder or if she felt the pain of broken heart sooner.

Yani gave herself a mental shake.

It was bad to think like this, like some cynical soldier. She hadn't lost much. Her body was still intact wasn't it? No lost limb or finger - her mind must be partly damaged but that was fine. She was fine.

Ah, adventurous lifestyle huh...it was too cliche to say been there, done that. Instead, Kael smiled softly at her, the woman's previous half smile not going unnoticed. It was sad to see a girl so young already so jaded, suspicious and careful. And while the latter might serve a good purpose, where was the living in always watching out for your own back.

"I am here because they needed a teacher, and this exciting hunt you have in your mind is actually not as pleasant as it is to keep a low profile and stay safe. The few of us that are left have lost contact with each other for this reason, to keep each other safe." What a ball of fun we're being right now. The smile he'd worn before talking had faded some, and the man made a concerted effort to replace it with a brighter one as soon as he'd realized this fact.

"And you, Yani, are you stuck here? Or only waiting until it's time to start your own adventure?"

"Adventure?"

The word was spoken softly, almost like a whisper. Her eyes flashed with surprise and curiosity. Pensive she glanced down at her dirtied hands, her lower lip being chewed on in thought.

"I just want a change of pace, to stop living the way I've been living for the past two years. When you haven't moved up the ladder of life, it starts to mess with you." She shrugged, thinking she sounded stupid. The woman grew quiet, messing with the blades of grass in front of her. Yani wondered how long the two of them were going to sit here under this tree. For once she felt a moment of peace; it was so very different from the cruel and constant pace she had been keeping her body on.

"Really though," she asked after a few minutes of silence, "What are you?"

Persistent she was. Kael gave a small chuckle and nodded. Leaning forward a little, his voice dropping, he started to tell a small story as if it would be an answer to her question.

"I<small>N</small> the Garden of Paradise, beneath the Tree of Knowledge, bloomed a rose bush. Here, in the first rose, a bird was born. His flight was like the flashing of light, his plumage was beauteous, and his song ravishing. But when Eve plucked the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, when she and Adam were driven from Paradise, there fell from the flaming sword of the cherub a spark into the nest of the bird, which blazed up forthwith. The bird perished in the flames; but from the red egg in the nest there fluttered aloft a new one..."

Sitting back again, he watched for her reaction as he continued, "Hans Christian Anderson got some of it right...I'm not entirely sure about the origins, but that is the basic mechanics of what we do." He looked up to the sky then, taking in a deep breath, "Over the centuries we've sort of learned to adapt, using the magic inside," looking back at Yani with a smile, "to hide better."

Well, there it was, hopefully she got it, and even more so, the man was hopeful she kept it to herself.

During the first words of his story telling Yani wasn't entirely sure what the man was up to. But then as Kael continued talking she realized that he was revealing his real identity by telling her a story. She listened attentively then, masking her surprise and curiosity with a polite look. Her fingers twitched slightly in her lap, the only tell tale sign of what she truly felt.

A phoenix? Was that what he really was?

Yani turned her eyes to Kael, her mouth open to speak. Her mind was filled to the brim with questions waiting to be answered. But as the words formed on her tongue she noticed a figure walking towards him and from his stride Yani knew who he was. He strode up to them, and while the man did the best he could to control his temper Yani knew from his rapid breathing that the Headmaster was at his wit's end, and she knew with whom.

"Yani, could you care to explain to me why you threatened the boys to do your work? For god's sake their parents just called and they're at my throat for this."

Familiar with the boys' blantant lie and the Headmaster's temper tantrums Yani lowered her head. Her black hair had fallen over her eyes to mask the emotion hidden behind them. She also didn't want Kael to get in trouble, especially since he was new.

"I'm sorry Headmaster Wira - the boys were misbehaving. They enchanted the weeds in the flower beds, made three time their normal size. I've been out here all day trying to get rid of them."

"How many times have we been through this Yani? Do not discipline them. Just - let them have their fun. For god's sake we can't have their parents stop funding the school."

It was always the investors who came first, Yani thought bitterly. Never the staff, the kids or me.

The teacher tilted his head listening to the berating the woman he was sitting next to was getting, for something she didn't even do at that. Slowly, Kael stood up, brushed himself off and took a step forward, placing himself between the other man and Yani. His expression was neutral, body relaxed and when he spoke, his tone was even but with an underlying confidence. "Excuse me Headmaster. I'm not sure if the boys told the correct story to you, but Yani did not threaten those boys. In fact, I was trying to have them learn a little lesson by actually doing something instead of pulling pranks all day on a hard working individual." Motioning with his head back at the woman, "She had nothing to do with it, it was entirely my idea, my implementation and my responsibility."

The fire behind his eyes was the only indication of the real emotions the professor was feeling right now, his body a perfect image of control and calmness.

Infuriated eyes turned towards Kael. The Headmaster's eyes widened in horror as the new teacher's words sunk in. The potbelly man swelled up like a puffer fish and all of his blood poured into his face.

"Kael, I would have thought better of you!" exclaimed Headmaster Wira. "And from a new teacher nonetheless. You do realize that those boys' parents are the ones who fund this school?! They are the ones who are paying for at least half of your pay check!" He raised a sausage sized finger towards the boarding school.

"... Just shut up and do what he says," murmured Yani, her head still lowered.

"Go back in there and apologize to the parents! Or you will find your secret being blabbed about to any listening ear within the next hour."

As the enraged headmaster turned on Kael, the professor didn't move in the slightest, standing his ground fully. He seemed to look back with only his eyes at hearing the warning from the woman behind him, but was otherwise motionless in his boss' wrath. When the ultimatum crossed the man's lips, Kael's brows raised, head tilting just a few degrees closer to his shoulder. The fire in his eyes was dancing wildly, but his voice was still calm, collected. "Are you seriously threatening me Headmaster?"

Taking a step in to close the gap between them, Kael stood a good amount taller than the rotund angry man before him. A heat was beginning to emanate from the teacher, starting in the center but within a few seconds it was clear the air surrounding his entire body was wavering in the intensity of Kael's internal anger. With his voice never once changing tone, "I don't take kindly to blackmail and so I suggest that if you wish your school to still be intact come morning, you will handle these incompetent parents yourself and forget anything you -think- you know about some secret of mine. Are we clear?"

The potbelly Head Master didn't flinch as he felt the heat in the air. He was expecting such a thing from this creature. What he didn't expect however was the threat given by Kael. It was those words that made Head Master Wira back down, a bead of sweat dripping down his left temple. His thick lips turned into a grimace of a smile, apologetic and fearful. Those accusatory fingers, which seconds before were pointed at Kael were clasped together under his stomach. The blood quickly drained from his face but despite showing fear he still had a little bit of fight left in him.

"Now Kael, certainly you wouldn't think of such a thing." He gestured meekly towards Yani who was still hiding her face behind her hair. "Poor Yani, she wouldn't have a job anymore if you burnt down the school. She would have so much erm... Difficulty in finding a job with her well, appearance."

Yani could no doubt have heard the man's words. She was thankful for her hair, which shielded the flicker of anger that appeared in her eyes. How much she wanted to punch this man, this human.

The grass at Kael's feet was browning quickly, the moisture being dried out by the heat his body was producing. The man didn't turn his gaze from the Headmaster, and barely blinking, his smooth calm tone continued, "The beautiful young lady behind me, I can assure you, would have nothing to worry about, as she'd be taken care of until a job far more suitable to her skills was available to her."

Everything about this fat little man bothered Kael right now. He'd known when he came here that the man would be easily swayed by power and money, allowing his secret come out as a means to gain access to the school. The Headmaster had played right into it, but now, as things were progressing, it was going to prove a power struggle it seemed between the disgustingly rich parents and himself. It'd be interesting to see who won this little battle, Headmaster Wira being the pawn fought over. As it was, there was only one reason Kael even bothered to get the job, he needed to be on the inside, and parading around with a job at the school was far easier than avoiding detection at all costs.

Coward that he was, Kael would be able to see the thoughts running through Headmaster Wira's head: anger, fear, isolation, and then... Lost. And while his face showed such emotions the man didn't allow his body language to emulate it. Holding on to the last remnants of his anger, he prodded a finger in Kael's direction, blowing up once more into a puffer fish.

"You! How dare you... I'll make sure you - "

He deflated quickly, losing steam to back up his own threats. It was true, the Headmaster didn't quite know what Kael was and thus didn't want to do anything least it jeopardized his own life. What a stupid mistake he made, to hire this stranger. For now he would allow this monster to win, but the next time Kael erred it wouldn't be without punishment, and one of his own choosing.

Turning furious eyes onto Yani he spat, "And you - You are fired and forever banished from these grounds. If I ever see you here again I'll make sure to remove those infuriating ears of yours."

Yani tried not to shrink away from his words, but his tone was harsh enough to make her flinch. Horrified and too shocked to utter words the neko bowed her head in understanding. Satisfied that at least he won some part of the argument, the Headmaster turned on his heels and trotted away, his belly sloshing along with him. With her former boss away, Yani stiffly rose and brushed off the dirt on her pants.

"I'd best be going," she mumbled. "And you better go too. Got classes to teach and all that."

The man stared at the pitiful retreating back of the fat headmaster with rage building up inside. Somewhere behind him he was aware of Yani moving and speaking to him, but all of it hidden in the pounding drumbeat of his angered heart. Without thinking, a fireball flew out of nowhere at Headmaster Wira's back, singeing the hairs on his balding head. Kael called out after the little man, "I QUIT!"

Sure he'd been there only a couple weeks now, but he just couldn't tolerate the staff, student or anyone for that matter. The one woman he'd found to be decent conversation so far had just been fired because she was there and the puny headmaster was too afraid to do it to him. With heavy breathing and obvious anger still written across his face, the man turned to look at Yani. Slowly he took a deep breath, letting it go while he counted backwards from ten, eyes closed. As he released the breath, the anger faded, his face calming and the air around his body returning to a more normal temperature for the day.

When he reopened his eyes, Kael smiled softly, ashamed, "I'm so sorry that you had to witness that, and for what happened because of my actions. I promise I will help you find something far better for you than this place."

The flames of the fireball reflected onto large, fearful eyes - Yani's eyes. It wasn't the flames that frightened her so, but in the manner that brought them on. Anger, of any form was likely to set her off. And if Kael's anger was not rage, then what was? The neko stared at the professor's backside, fear keeping her legs from moving. It wasn't until she saw his eyes again was she able to move. The flames were enough to trigger her, and it sent her flying away from the grounds of the school, up to the Staff quarters and into her room.

She didn't care if Kael followed her, actually preferred if he didn't. The anger and the brightness of the flames had brought on repressed memories. It sent her into survival mode, where she had to move to stay alive. It was what she had done before in bad relationships and when her parents fought. If she didn't she would get hurt, both physically and emotionally. There was no logic or reasoning to Yani fleeing, it was pure instinct.

The door to her room was left open as Yani reached underneath her bed and pulled out her suitcase. She ripped it open, the fear still written plainly in her eyes. In went her clothes, her sheets, and photos of her family, all shoved inside in a jumbled mess. It was about time she left this rotten place, where everyone who looked at her, young or old, held contempt in their eyes.

All except one...

It was this thought that slowed her down, made her pause in her frantic packing. Yani didn't notice her heart rate had accelerated and she was panting from her episode. She chewed hard on her bottom lip and slowly, she caved in... Wrapping her arms around her, Yani's entire body shook as soft sobs over took her.

The man had been a little late, calling after Yani as she ran from him. He'd never hurt her, and was now even more upset with himself for having lost his temper just enough to scare her. Kael did go after her though, he had to make sure she was alright at the very least. Running down the halls, he looked in each of the open doors, never quite sure which room might be hers, until that is, he found her, door wide open. The scene he'd come upon caused his frown to deepen, she'd been packing somewhat desperately it seemed, but for a reason unknown to him, had stopped. She was crying now, and that was not acceptable.

Cautiously, he knocked soft on the door, his tone matching and just as hesitant, "Yani...are you alright?" To think he'd made her cry...he'd hate himself for it, a woman as beautiful inside and out should never be made to cry like that.

The tears in her eyes blurred Yani's vision, causing her to wipe at them. Her arms were still wrapped tightly around her when Kael knocked softly at her door. She refused to look at him, instead fought against her emotions. She inhaled deep breaths, steadying herself. Yani was slowly coming to grips with logic and she knew she shouldn't be feeling this way. It was emotions and memories all rolled together that made her into this mess. She sniffed hard, rubbing her arms as a sudden chill over came her.

"Sorry," she mumbled. "Just um... I-I don't react well to anger. Bad memories and all that."

She turned to look at Kael now, her black curtain of hair swaying from the motion. Her cheeks were tear stained, and her eyes looked ready to flood once more. Yani knew she looked pitiful, but the scars of life still hadn't healed fully. Her job here made caused her development to stagnate. But she quickly shrugged off the episode and tried to look composed.

"It's lovely that you're offering to help me find a job Kael but I really couldn't ask you to help me. I'm a stranger after all and people just don't do something like that for strangers." Taking a deep shuddering breath she paused, collecting her thoughts. "I want you to apologize to the Headmaster. You're definitely out of his good graces, but maybe if you apologize enough he'll forgive you and won't consider firing you."

As she spoke to him, the man walked over into the room and squat down in front of her. He'd taken a small handkerchief from his pocket, raising it up now to gently wipe the tears from her cheeks. Kael's expression was soft, no where near where it had been before with the headmaster. Lightly his head shook, tone soft to match his features, "No, don't apologize for my actions. Your reaction was natural, and I went over board. For that I need to apologize to you; it should never have happened."

Reaching up with his second hand, Kael attempted to brush her hair back from her face, letting a finger glide down her smooth cheek if he could. "And we're not strangers, Yani. We're at the least, acquaintances" tilting his head with a half smile playing at the corners of his lips, "Though I'd like that to change. Of all the people I've met at this school, you've been the only decent person worth getting to know. And therefore, I will not remain in a place that is overrun by shallow, self-serving, idiots..."

The cloth of the handkerchief brushed gently against her cheek, soaking up the tears. Yani closed her eyes to stop any more tears from coming, her eyelashes glistening from the droplets. She almost turned away from Kael's finger, but allowed him to touch her. Didn't the woman owe him that much? It was a small touch, nothing too big. She took a quivering breath, and gave him a hesitant smile. The man had a kind heart; how the hell did he end up here in this cruel place?

Choked laughter escaped her lips as he mentioned quitting.

"So you're gonna resign just like that? Tell the Headmaster you're gone and hope for the best?" Yani couldn't come to grips with such a thing. All her life she struggled. Life had a way of coming up to her neck, nearly drowning her sometimes. How could a man with Kael's background survive? God, how could she even believe him? He could be the biggest liar for all she knew.

She wanted to shrug off the things he said, especially the bit about getting to know her. Yani wasn't all that interesting, just another struggling soul. Still, a small part of her yearned for romance, for something to fill that void in her heart. Was it worth the risk though? Sighing, she ran a hand through her hair.

"A-Are you asking me out on a date?"

He chuckled, "I believe I already told him that I quit...as if the giant ball of fire singeing the back of his head wasn't notice enough." Kael was trying to joke about it, since she had given a small sign of laughter herself. "But yes, I'll not stay here, I'm sure I can find something where my efforts are far less wasted." He wasn't necessarily talking about teaching either, he'd only gotten into it because it was a good place to hide out, but that meant little if he was miserable.

The man was slightly taken aback by her question, as it wasn't exactly what he'd been intending by his words. However, he smiled softly back to her, looking into her eyes with the light of his soul flickering in his own, "That sounds like a wonderful idea...but I think first, we both need to find a new place to live." Whether that was together or just close by, he left for her to decide though. Standing, Kael held out a hand to help her up, the soft smile never leaving his lips.