Wintery Surprises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aleu had made a stupid plan. Her mind had been filled with conflict and the husky she had met and saved. Alek was cracking down roughly on the times the huskies were allowed to leave and hunt. Trying to keep them caged out of fear and let their hunger allow them to eat eachother out of existence, the last husky would get hunted down. She hoped it wasn't the male she met. Her idea was to wake up earlier than most, running from the pack at a leisurely pace. Finding a few animals which could serve as a breakfast for her, such as a small mouse caught under a loose branch sticking out of the ground. It seemed dead with scratches upon it and Aleu knew a fox or something must have tried to snag it until it struggled under the branch that caught it and died. However it smelt of carcass and nothing fresh. Aleu searched on, finding a fox within the bushes. With some effort Aleu bolted and snagged the long creature by its white neck, whipping her head once and ending its life. She made her way to the border.

The cabins were in sight, as desolate and empty as when the humans felt it. She wondering if any of the humans left their time keepers, pocket watches. Aleu had always wondered but never dared to walk near the border. A few fifty feet from the border she dropped the dead and rusty colored fox and took a seat. Focusing one ear behind her and one forward. She made a small yip, hoping the dog she met before would show up instead of another. Hoping the male had heard it.

Kobuk was moving stealthily through the brush looking for something else to eat when he heard the faint sound of a yip travel through the air and sink into his ears. Not only did the sound of the yip catch his attention, it also flooded him with interest and excitement. That voice didn't belong to any husky, it was definitely a wolf. Hoping that no one else heard he barreled towards where he had heard it emanating from. As he ran nearer her scent caught his nose and it made him run a little faster. He spotted her as he reached the clearing of the trees and he slowed his run moving in a slow trot until he was sitting right before her, the four inch barrier the only thing that separated them. He blinked his near white eyes and looked down at the fox with a puzzled look.

"Is this one of your warnings?" He asked sniffing at the carcass. "If that's so... you can keep your hint." he said nudging the animal over the barrier line. His eyes stayed trained on hers and inhaled slowly as if taking in the scent and searing it into memory. "I heard you last night... I actually watched you howling... you do have a gift." he said surprised at himself that he was speaking civilly...well somewhat, with a wolf. "I'll take no more time from you... I wanted to thank you. For saving my life and taking that risk. It was very noble and I am deeply grateful that you for some odd reason chose to. What was your reasoning?" he asked intrigued his snout twitching with mirth.

Aleu released a breath once his figure came into view. She had been worried that it would have been a stranger husky which heard her call and came instead. However she didn't expect any husky to go as far into being civil as complimenting. She must not be dealing with a husky at all, not with how she was raised into thinking. It didn't add up for her and she had to think it over, while she listened to him. The fox was not a warning, more of an offering of survival. His last question had her confused "I don't know. It just felt right" she said softer than her voice already was. Lifting her paw and rolling the fox over the invisible barrier their kind had created. "This fox is food, an offering of mine. Take it and do what you will with it." the sound of birds chirping alerted Aleu that it had become the time Alek wakes up to scan the territory. She had to go. "I must leave" she stood up and shook herself of the melted snow she had attached to her fur from sitting. Bowing her head quickly and turning around, bolting towards her den in hope she would be there to catch Alekl before he moved out to secure the border.

Kobuk was confused. He had been bred learning that wolves were unpredictable vicious creatures. Your chances of survival were minimal of course unless you knew how to fight. They were bigger so a husky's advantage was in being lithe. Faster, anticipating the attack and staying one step ahead of the game. He nuzzled the fox in show of appreciation. "Thank you. It will feed plenty pups tonight." He said with deep gratitude. His kind was starving no thanks to her kind. There was something about the wolf that was off, she wasn't like any of the others he had run into. It intrigued him, had his bind bubbling with thoughts. She seemed to notice the birds suddenly needing to vanish again. "I should call you houdini, you seem to always have a disappearing act. First you send me to vanish now you." He said in a smirking tone before she stood shaking to leave. He watched her run off knowing she probably had to get back to her kind, her den...her mate. Kobuk shook his snout dispelling ice and snow. Why was it even bothering him? He picked up the dead fox and trotted to the cabin for pups

Status
Not open for further replies.