Window to the Soul

a v a

The word "asshole" had crossed her mind at least twice between the hours they spent in classes and encountering other individuals. It was of course directed at one person despite him being unable to hear her thoughts. She picked up the name of Eric during class, seeing how there were others who found his antics funny. She glanced in his direction once or twice, sending him a fierce glare once, but as soon as he looked her way she fixated her eyes on the board. Emma on the other hand was unreadable to her, she seemed nice enough to have greeted her.​
And when Emma approached her as she and Atlas had walked into the cafeteria, she halted. Instead of smiling, Ava pinched her lips. Now would be a good time to force a smile, it was the socially correct and kind thing to do. Especially when someone was welcoming and as sweet as Emma was being. But Ava couldn't sense whether it was real or held any intentions behind it just yet.​
It was a bit different than when she had first met Atlas. Unlike Emma he was awkward, more awkward than her and obvious to read. It made her easy to fall into a slightly more comfortable position. She had felt there wasn't nothing much to worry about.​
"I do actually," Ava somehow forced a small smile anyway. She hoped it did not look as forced as it was. "I was going to sit with Atlas." She nudged his shoulder gently as if to remind them of his presence. He was quiet so she had no doubt he could disappear if he wanted.​

a t l a s

A slight smile appeared on Atlas's face for a moment when Ava nudged him. He didn't really like to get the attention on himself but he liked that Ava didn't just ditch him like that. The smile dropped from his face when suddenly they were approached by Eric and his friends again though, seemingly taking the fact that Emma, who was his friend, and her gang were talking to them as an invitation to allow himself into the conversation.

"What's going on?" he asked as if it was his right to know what was happening at all times.

"Ava's sitting with Atlas for lunch apparently," Emma said, surprise coloring her voice, then she and Eric exchanged a look that was almost concern before turning back to Ava again.

"You don't want to sit with Atlas. He's crazy." Eric said in way that wasn't nasty or mean, just matter of factly, "Like I know that sounds mean, I just feel like you deserve a warning since everyone else knows. Right Atlas?"

Atlas didn't really have an answer so at first he just kind of stared at Erik. He couldn't really protest, to everyone else he did look crazy. It wasn't like they could see the things that he saw, so it wasn't like he could blame anyone too much for saying it. He just kind of wished Ava didn't have to hear. And as he realized that his one chance of befriending someone seemed to now have hit a wall, he turned his gaze towards his feet instead. Why would she want to hang out with someone who was crazy, for all she knew he had gotten that title because he was dangerous or something.

"See no protests from him," that one did sound a little more condescending.

"It was really nice of him to show you around, but you can sit with whoever you want," Emma continued, clearly trying to come across as nice, taking some pity on the crazy kid by calling him nice, "I'm sure he doesn't mind,"

"Yeah, I like eating by myself anyways," Atlas shrugged, voice small and eyes still on his feet. This wasn't just making him feel pretty awful, but it was embarrassing as well. He didn't really have the guts or the energy to try to defy their expectations of complying to them looking down on him. And at this point he just wanted to get this over with. The cat was out of the bag. Ava knew. She just needed to reject him and best case scenario maybe they could be friends in the way he and Alicia were friends, where she had a bunch of other ones but also was kind of nice to him.

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: MaryGold
a v a

Quite frankly, Ava could hardly understand what she was witnessing, yet alone hearing. She was more appalled about how they were treating Atlas more than surprised to learn of his "crazy" status. What did that mean? Was he mentally ill? And if so, what did that matter? He was a person and being sick in the head didn't mean anything, he was still a lovely person so far in her eyes and statements from an obvious asshole and some girl who she still couldn't decipher meant nothing to her.​

Ava scoffed, not bothering to hide the clear frown on her face. It was obvious to her that Atlas had been treated this way for too long considering how easily he submitted and that angered her even more than their words. Their behavior was atrocious and seeing how deeply they affected the innocent boy.​

"So what?" Ava fired back promptly, leveling her gaze with Emma and only looking away to meet Erik's as well. She straightened her back and held up her chin, displaying a sort of confidence that she didn't have as much as she feigned it. Still, it appeared as if she was exuberating it as she quirked an eyebrow. "I'm crazy too. Batshit crazy." She said ever so casually with a half shrug.​

And technically, if they were going by their standards, she really as. Ava was very used to being called insane to the point she was desensitized by it. It started since she was but a child and it had yet to end.​

As if to prove her point, she pulled back her foot and kicked Erik's shin. Hard. Then she proceeded to walk pass them, roughly bumping shoulders with Emma. The redhead only turned around to add. "I'll sit with whomever I wish and I chose to sit with Atlas. If you ever call him crazy again, I will show you crazy."

a t l a s

Atlas didn't move his eyes from his own feet until he heard Ava speak up, firmly. His head shot up and he looked at her with about as wide eyes as both Erik and Emma and the rest of their gangs as she claimed to be crazy too, in the most casual of ways ever. Ava didn't seem like she was crazy though, a little odd maybe, with her walking around in the Forrest and clumsily falling into the stream and things like that but not crazy. And Atlas didn't believe she even really meant it in any way. Until she literally kicked Erik.

Erik let out a loud and angry swear as he took a step back. A couple of other people followed suite in shuffling away a little from both Ava and Atlas. Clearly no one had expected such a reaction from Ava, not even Atlas. And everyone were seemingly to shocked to even say anything more before Ava pushed past them and added her final comment. It was a threat. But it was the most comforting threat Atlas had ever heard and he quickly followed Ava, avoiding looking at anyone really, his eyes were mostly stuck at Ava as she guided them into the cafeteria. In there Atlas caught up with her and walked at her side to find a table, without really saying anything. He was honestly paranoid their not so happy classmates would follow them inside and try to confront them further so he found a smaller table on the other end of the not all that big cafeteria.

He shot a look over at the entrance, the Erik and Emma and everyone were still there, talking among themselves as they went to line up to get food. At least they weren't approaching again. Still Atlas felt far too tense to sit down, keeping the straps of his backpack and hard grips with his hands without even knowing when he had grabbed them.

His gaze flickered back to Ava, "You really didn't have to do that, they'll really think you're crazy you know. Especially if you hang out with me as well and you don't need to hang out with me just cus we talked first, I'll just ruin your chances of making friends," Atlas didn't actually think Ava was crazy, or that she was even close to living up to the impression he had left upon his classmates. Maybe you had to be a little crazy to kick someone your first day of school, but not enough so that you couldn't make proper friends.

a v a

"Atlas," Ava said sternly, almost taking to tone of a mother getting ready to scold her child. Instead, she paused and gave him a look. Not a mean look, but a meaningful one. The translation of it could be "hush, silly" or "don't be ridiculous". Because in her eyes, he truly was being rather silly. He was so busy worrying about her, rather than herself. And why on earth would she ever want to sit with anyone who bullied him for being -- well, she wasn't quite sure. But it mattered not to her.​

"I'm not sitting with you because I feel obligated as you're the first person I talked to." She sighed softly as she slowly lowered herself onto the seat of the small table he had picked out for them. "I'm sitting with you because I want to. And I don't care what they think about me." She huffed. It upset her to even think about the way they treated Atlas -- for what? Being different?​

Ava had once been in that position before. Being treated as if she was nothing but loose screwed little girl who deserved no pity. Just another weakling to pick on and have some fun with. It made her blood boil. The bullying she had sustained was very painful and traumatizing and she only had the slightest idea of what type of bullying Atlas received.​

But the solitude was always the worst.​

"And anyway, I actually like you. So ..." She shrugged a single shoulder. "You're nice, a little too nice actually." She offered a kind smile. "Unless you want me to go?" She was only partly joking. After all, she had been attached to him all day and it was highly probably that he had become annoyed with her.​

a t l a s

Ava wanted to sit with him. That was a new one, and she was acting as if he was being ridiculous for thinking that was the thing that was weird. His eyes were wide. Ava literally had the chance to be someone at this school, or she had had it before kicking Eric. Not that being something t the school meant much, but at least it mean the possibility of more than one friends, and that she wouldn't be called crazy.

But she'd rather sit with him, and if she wanted to then maybe it wasn't so bad that he said he wanted it too. Maybe a little unfair since she didn't know the others had pretty okay reasons as to why they thought he was crazy, but still. He just didn't want to be alone all the time.

He looked away a little when Ava called him nice, he wasn't used to compliments from people who weren't his mom or Alicia. But he looked back again when she asked if she should go. It sounded joking but it still sent a mild rush of panic through him.

"No I—Of course I don't? I'm sorry, I didn't mean it that way, I just didn't want to screw up your chances of getting friends right away," Atlas awkwardly spurted out. He didn't want Ava to think he actual didn't want her as a friend. If he turned down her friendship after defending him an putting her own reputation on the line he'd actually be crazy. "You're nice too—for standing up against them… I guess," not many people did that. Alicia did sometimes, but she also wasn't the kind of person to start conflict, nor the kind of person to literally kick someone.

He let out a soft sigh, glanced over at the popular kids who were still getting food, then turned to Ava with a weak smile, "thank you," he said then stood silently and shifted awkwardly on spot for a moment before finally deciding to just sit down, "I'm not going over there while they're still there," that was pretty obvious, "And I brought my own food, but I can go with you when they're gone if you want?"

a v a
When Atlas hurriedly refuted her suspicions and even complimented her, Ava couldn't help but smile gently. She wouldn't exactly call herself nice, but she could be when she wanted to. Most times, she was generally polite unless she saw any other reason not to be. Her kindness only came out when her heart softened. Otherwise, Ava Dillinger was quiet and very frankly cynical.​
She breathed a soft and subtle sigh of relief to herself. If Atlas actually did want her gone, then she truly would be alone. After kicking that boy, Erik, in the shin she was certain that others would stay clear of her. And she hadn't worried in the slightest of the repercussions because she knew she had a friend in Atlas. But if he had wanted her gone, and she wouldn't blame him for it, than she would be alone. As much as Ava loved alone time, she didn't like being alone all the time.​
"Thank you, I'd like that." Ava nodded her head, her brown eyes glancing over to the lunch line. She made a mental note to bring her own lunch next time. She was sure that Amelia wouldn't mind whipping something up for her.​
She dropped her arms onto the table and met Atlas's gaze once again. Ava did not mind his fidgeting, she too had her own quirks after all. And habits .. though one of them he expressed his distaste for. If she wanted to smoke, she would have to do it in her lonesome company. "Now, before the break started, you said that you enjoy classical music? What pieces are your favorite?"
His nervousness demeanor did bother her, but she did want him to calm down and fall into some sort of comfort zone. More so knowing that she was half the reason he was upset. Though, she did not regret her actions.​

a t l a s

"I like a lot of stuff by Debussy?" Atlas replied to fast to match the slight uncertainty in his voice. He was glad for the change of subject into something he was interested in and quick to join int because of that, but slowed down a little as he thought more about his answer, "But other than that I'm not really like a stickler for specific composers or even pieces? I like impressionism I guess, but uh I also like the calmer stuff in general because it helps me relax a lot."

As he talked he reached for his back and began to unpack his food since he brought his from home, thanks to his mother not really trusting he got the nutrition he needed with their school's lackluster vegetarian diet. He stopped talking for a moment to focus on counting the items he got out of his bag silently in his head, it was just his lunchbox a set with a fork, knife and a napkin, and a can of mineral water, but it wasn't like he could not count them.

"I guess If i have to pick something i'd be kind of basic and go with Clair de Lune,"
he said almost sheepishly, as if being into classical music at their age was something people considered basic in the first place. As happy as he felt talking about one if his interests he didn't get to talk about much he also felt a little self-conscious about being put on the spot and felt that if Ava maybe was more interested in this stuff than him she'd judge him for being kind of casual about the whole thing.

He opened his lunchbox to find a nice chickpea salad inside, and a little bag with three cookies, he went for the sweets first and handed one to Ava, feeling bad because he was the reason she had to wait with getting her food, "Do you have a favorite?"

a v a

Ava's smile, though soft, remained as she fully listened to Atlas speak. Quietly, Ava folded her arms and rested them on the flat surface of their table. In another time, this simple move would have been met with reprimanding, it was terrible table manners for the daughter of an aristocrat to display. But Ava had forgotten most of the etiquette that had been taught to her a lifetime ago along with many other things. Even the faces of her own family and their voices were starting to fade from her memories. She only ever remembered them when she dreamed.​

Piano and music, in general, was one thing she could never forget. It had been the one hobby she genuinely enjoyed regardless of being forced to learn it. In the current time, kids "her age" weren't at all into classical so much. She found that a mass majority of them were into pop. But it was very obvious that Atlas was not grouped into the majority of them.​

Her eyebrows shot up at the cookie atlas handed her, but she took it after a second of hesitation. "Thank you," she told him quietly and took a nibble of it. It was sweet and soft and delicious.​

"Debussy is wonderful." Ava approved of his taste. "My favorite would probably be ... Chopin or Beethoven. I love his work." She tapped her chin, deep in thought. She had learned to play quite a few artist's pieces. A small and wistful sigh fell from her lips as she said absentmindedly, "I wished I could have studied under him instead." Her original piano tutor constantly hit her fingers with his switch. She often had sore fingers.​

Then she paused after realizing her words and quickly added. "But that's ridiculous because he's been dead for years." She chuckled somewhat awkwardly and shoved the cookie into her mouth.​

a t l a s

Atlas nodded along somewhat eagerly when Ava mentioned her favorites, and it didn't even faze him that Ava had spoken about Beethoven teaching her as if that had been an actual possibility, seeing as he was quite dead. Atlas had a bit of a loose concept of death so it never really phased him when people talked about the dead as if they were living. In fact, he had a tendency to do so himself sometimes, but accidentally talking about your dead parent to your alive parent as if you talked to them yesterday generally tended to just end in a whole lot of sadness.

When Ava quickly corrected herself, though, he did kind of take note of it. Because it was a weird thing to correct. Atlas, now that he did consider what Ava had said would have just considered it a joke, and since when did you correct jokes like that? Maybe she was just afraid he would think she was serious or something.

"Oh I dunno, I wouldn't be so sure about that, maybe if you wish for it hard enough he'll come back to haunt you until he's satisfied with your piano playing," Atlas joked a little, only sounding awkward because Ava had sounded a little awkward, which in turn made him feel a little awkward. He never claimed to be the best at social interaction, when things got awkward he did too. At least Ava didn't know about all the details surrounding people finding him crazy, if she did he would have definitely not joked about ghosts. And it really was a joke, seeing as even if Beethoven hadn't passed on, Atlas highly doubted he'd have any way of finding Ava.

He turned his gaze back towards the lunch line, finding that the people they didn't want to interact with now had gotten their food and went to sit by their own table, luckily at the far opposite of the cafeteria. Atlas turned back to Ava, "Let's go get some food?" he said, he had his own but he still felt really bad for Ava having to wait thanks to protecting him, and he honestly had no idea if Erik would decide to approach her if she was alone, he really wasn't a stranger to things like that.

a v a

Atlas's awkwardness made her laugh more than his joke did, but not in a mocking way. She was absolutely the furthest thing from being annoyed by the boy. He was the only companion she had in not only this tiny school but this tiny town. He was a refreshing breath of air compared to all the many horrid types of people she had met in her long, long life. Similar to her, but also very different from her. She could and would easily get behind that and hoped that he was willing to do the same with her. She could be quite a difficult and distant person regardless of Atlas calling her kind. But she wanted to change and she was putting in an effort for this boy and this new town.​
So far, the rest of her peers at school she could care less about. They all mostly seemed to be superficial assholes and Ava could do without those people. Still, staring at Atlas, she did wonder why they called him crazy. Did he have mental health issues? If so, that gave them no right nonetheless. It riled her up simply thinking about it.​
To avoid becoming upset again, she focused back at Atlas and his words. "Oh, good idea." The redhead turned in her seat and swung her legs over the bench before standing on her own two feet. It was impossible not to notice the many eyes that landed on her figure. As a result, she held her head as to not look like an easy picking. Then again, after kicking the Erik character, she was pretty sure no one would bother with her any time soon. At least, that was what she hoped for.​
With the line thinned out and, she and Atlas were the only ones there. It didn't take long to fill her tray. There wasn't a lot of appetizing meals, so she settled on the Pizza, salad, apple, and a juice box. Next time, she'd have to take a hint from Atlas to bring her own lunch. But once they were seated again, her eyes looked away to catch a person wandering around. No one paid them any heed, so Ava thought to do the same. Sometimes it was hard to discern the dead from the living. The living thought you insane if you interacted with something you couldn't see and the dead pestered you if they found out you could see them.​
"So, another question. People say this town is haunted, do you believe that or not?" She asked playfully.​

a t l a s

Atlas went with Ava to get her food, all while he tried not to look around too much. Ava was getting looks, she was not only the new girl but she was the new girl who had kicked someone the first day of school and who insisted on hanging around the crazy kid. Maybe the letter part hadn't spread completely yet, but it would eventually and Atlas wasn't sure how long it would take for that to cause some kind of confrontation, but he knew it would eventually and it made him both feel bad that Ava had been dragged into things.

When they got ack to the table Atlas went a head and started on his lunch, expecting to maybe explain some more school related things or something, and was a little taken aback when Ava brought up Owlwick's label as "haunted". The people in town didn't really discuss it much. Most people saw it all as legends, spooky stories to freak each other out with when out late in the evenings. Some people seemed to believe to a certain extent, people would say things like 'well I know it's not true but I'm not taking any chances' only Atlas knew it was very much true. In fact, if haunted meant the presence of souls that hadn't passed on and things that he had no better words for than spirit he was fairly certain the entire world was haunted.

Owlwick was special though. Atlas had never really traveled that far but even just going to the closest larger town he found that there wasn't as much otherworldly --or whatever it was-- activity. To him larger towns bustling with people almost felt eerily empty, while he never felt alone when walking down the near empty main street in his home town. Atlas really had no idea why that was, and honestly, despite having seen all these weird things ever since he was little he still had little idea of what everything was and how it worked. But no matter how you looked at it Owlwick was haunted.

He wasn't about to tell Ava that though. She was joking, she expected him to laugh and deny it, just like anyone else in school would. Anyone else who would also add that you had to be crazy to believe it, like he was in most peoples' eyes. He probably hesitated a little too long before trying a joke to avoid answering the question right away with a joke, "I believe it's a great way to get tourists here even on off seasons."

Still, he didn't really want to avoid the subject completely. He had kind of ruled out that Ava had been able to see that ghost in the forest. But maybe she could feel her presence or something, maybe she believed even if she couldn't see it. The idea sparked som excitement within him, and since she would probably figure out he believed all that stuff sooner or later he decided to take the risk and linger on the subject, "But I mean, most stories about those kinds of things are based in some truth, right? And a lot of people say they see weird things when they visit and stuff. I mean, um, I don't think anyone's gonna get murdered by a ghost or anything. I just don't rule out the possibility?" as he said it out loud he felt his face flush and his voice had gotten a little more quiet. He didn't admit to it often, people just kind of knew from growing up with him, they had seen him stare into corners in grade school, mumbled with spirits during recess in middle school. "Sorry, I know it's kind of weird to believe that kind of stuff. It's not like I'm one of those weirdos who come here to try capture things on video or anything. It's more just a feeling, I guess." He looked down in his food and regretted telling Ava immediately. He had to stop letting excitement get a hold of him, now he risked Ava actually thinking people had a reason for treating him like he did.

a v a

The reply Atlas first gave her garnered a little smile out of Ava. Owlwick was so small but had enough reason to drag out even the most adventurous people, what more to add to their attractions than rumors of ghosts. They probably made a hefty amount of money thanks to that legend simply because ghost did wander around everyone, leaving behind clues and traces that'd you'd only find if you were truly looking. So, of course, there were people who believed it. They weren't the majority, but they were there, believing what they couldn't see off of baseless and or mixed up rumors told by the living, most of the time. Most of them were too disrespectful to Ava's liking. Which was one out of many reasons she didn't tell even the believers that she could see them. So, when Atlas expressed quite obviously that he too believed in the rumor about their town, Ava stopped mid-bite into her pizza slice.​
From the time she spent with Atlas, he seemed far from unreasonable and definitely not an idiot. She stared hard at him unsmiling simply to gauge the boy and his reaction. He was embarrassed, that much was clear. And she could tell he believed in ghost from his explanation alone. But there was more to it. Ava couldn't put her tongue on what it was exactly, but there was more to it. she tilted her to the side thoughtfully, moving her brown eyes to look at the ceiling. Atlas was strange, but it wasn't just because he believed in the dead wandering the earth. Whatever it was, she was sure she'd figure out about it sooner or later. Hopefully from him.​
"Well, I suppose there's a possibility." Pretending to disbelieve, to be oblivious, it always made Ava recoil inside. Even after all these years, after spitting out the same words over and over again and putting on the same act. She hated lying. Especially about what she saw every other day. Knowing that it was for her own safety socially and physically did not make it any easier, but what was she to do? Part of her felt bad for having to lie. "But I don't know, who's to know at all?" She smiled and bit into her pizza for a moment to think without talking.​
She could have left it on that note, but she couldn't. Ava turned in her seat just slightly to face the boy. "But just because I don't know or don't believe doesn't mean it's not true. It could very well be." She hoped that the statement didn't sound so weird. The sincerity in her voice was strong. Because truyly, Ava did believe in ghost and spirits. She also didn't want Atlas to feel foolish and disappointed because of her and everyone else. Though, maybe it would have been better to discourage his ideal.​
Even if it was true.​

a t l a s
There was a moment of silence when nothing was said. Atlas carefully glanced at Ava as she seemed to process what to think about what he had said. And maybe how to respond to it. He anticipated the worst. Or well, maybe not the very worst, which was her suddenly treating him as Eric did, but maybe something akin to telling he was wrong and that it was dumb to even think the way he did. But she didn't. No, she didn't believe it, but she was being nice about it, saying that you couldn't rule out the possibility completely.

Atlas smiled and shrugged, "yeah I guess." He didn't particularly want to stay on the subject. He didn't want to push it and he felt like he could safely say that Ava didn't know more than she let on at this point. It was probably pretty stupid to have ever thought she might have known more than the average person. Just because she was new in town and had had a ghost following her didn't mean anything. He realized that by now. But at the very least she wasn't completely opposed to the idea that something might be out there, or at least she didn't find Atlas crazy for thinking --or rather knowing-- there was. And that was something at least. So he smiled at Ava, clearly appreciating her answer wasn't to tell him that his thoughts about it all was stupid, or that he was crazy.

Atlas fell back into silence for a little moment after that. He wasn't the best at social interaction so he was trying to come up with something to say or ask, but didn't know what'd be the best. He was curious about Ava, where she was from and why she had moved and all of that. But he didn't know what was alright to ask. Before he had a chance to come up with something, though a voice called his name.

"Atlas!" Atlas turned around quickly to see who it was, almost afraid he'd have to endure another unpleasant interaction in front of Ava, but his worried expression softened when he saw the kind looking brunette girl approaching them.
"Oh-- hey Alicia," He said as Alicia stood next to their table, she looked a little hesitant about being there, but Atlas knew that was more because of the attention she was getting for being there than anything. To compensate he got one of the cookies from his lunchbox and handed it to her. She smiled, said "thank you," and took the spot next Atlas for now. She didn't seem like she was staying seeing as she hadn't brought any of her things. She'd eat with Atlas alone sometimes, but generally, she'd just stop by for a hello.

"I heard Eric wasn't being very welcoming so I thought I'd come say hello, and that you and Atlas are always welcome at our table," she said, sounding so apologetic about the whole thing one would almost believe she had been the one who had tried to urge Ava not to sit with Atlas and gotten a kick to the chin for it. Atlas peered over at the table where Alicia's friends sat. They were looking over curiously, eyes glued more on Ava than Atlas. They knew Atlas, to them he was just someone Alicia dragged along with them sometimes that they just had to deal with. They were nice enough, but atlas knew they wouldn't ever really hang around him if it wasn't for Alicia. He was sure they would be really great to Ava

"I'm Alicia, by the way, It's very nice to meet you! I think everyone has been really curious so it's nice to finally put a face to you," She continued, sounding more friendly than apologetic now. Alicia was a little bit shy in Atlas's experience, but not one to hold back on being friendly. He was happy she had decided to come up to them now, she was a good example of Owlwick not being a place full of terrible people.

a v a

So there nicer people at this school aside from Atlas. Ava offered a soft smile, it was more polite than anything else. Not because she didn't like Alicia, but because she was still unsure about the girl and generally an awkward human being when not comfortable. Still, if she was a friend of Atlas, Ava was more than willing to get to know her. She could use a couple of mates even if it was only just a few. A few would still make a difference. She had never been a people person before, but she came to Owlwick for a change of pace and mindset. Also, she had promised her uncle she'd make an effort to make friends and be friendly. Even though she was certain the news of her kicking a kid on her first day would spread to him sooner or later. It was a small town after all.​
"You and Atlas are always welcome at our table."
Did that mean she was already going to get the ostracized treatment for her actions? Ava's smile became a little more genuine and amused at the thought. "Thank you, I'll be sure to be on my best behavior if I do." She said jokingly. She doubted she'd ever had any reason to act out if her friends were just as nice. But Ava was never against banging a few heads together. She played in a little into the stereotype of redheads being temperamental.​
Ava glanced around once at the many pairs of eyes that had to watch her. "I hadn't noticed." She giggled somewhat nervously, but definitely awkwardly. She still wasn't comfortable with being watched by practically everyone in the school every turn she made. Ava was from the type who liked the attention. The girl suffered blending into the shadows and crowds. Unfortunately, that was impossible for her to do now in this small town. Perhaps she should have listened to Katherine and gone overseas to some large landmark city. "My first time being such a superstar." It was awful so far.​
"I guess not many people move here, huh?" Ava asked softly, picking at her salad on her plate. "I'm actually from the city, New York city. So, being in this small town is quite a change for me." Truth be told, Ava had been born and raised in a small town -- no a village! Yet she had been living in cities so long, her childhood days, her mortal days were nothing but a distant memory.​
"Ask me any questions, I'd be happy to answer," Ava assured them both, glancing at Atlas and Alicia before shoving a mouthful of salad into her mouth. Talking about herself was her least favorite thing, but she'd rather get it out of the way and let the news spread by one person rather than being constantly questioned during her time there.​

a t l a s

Atlas and Alicia both shook their heads, practically in unison, when Ava asked about people moving there. This was the first time they had someone new join heir school during their time in the education system. Owlwick might be a fun pitstop on a ghost-themed road trip, but it wasn't the kind of place you just decided to settle down in unless it was for some very specific reason, like how his dad had wanted to get away from the city. Even Ava had family there. Atlas didn't know the Dillingers personally, but he was sure his mother did to some extent. It was the kind of place you grew up in and just kind of stayed. Everyone knew or at least knew of everyone.

New York city was a big change though, and Atlas got even more curious about why Ava had moved, he just needed to formulate his question without it coming across as invasive or something. She said she was happy to answer, but Atlas wasn't exactly an expert on being social so maybe anything, in this case, meant anything within limits. Atlas didn't like being asked too personal questions himself, so he figured most people were like that, or at least Ava who seemed to be a little awkward too sometimes.

Before atlas got a chance to come up with something though, Alicia was on it. Her voice was still very mild but there was a hint of excitement in it now, "Oh that's really neat! I've only been to New York like once when I was younger. I really want to go though, and go see a musical? Have you ever done that?" Atlas figured that Alicia's choice of question maybe, in fact, meant it would be kind of rude to ask the more personal questions. Or maybe Alicia was just trying to find some common ground first, she hadn't talked with Ava before like Atlas had.

"She really likes musicals, we always listen to soundtracks when we stay in the art room after school," Atlas explained, trying to join in with the direction the conversation had turned. It was a little pathetic, but he was honestly not used to talking to more than one person at once. At home, it was just him and his mom, at school he only really talked to Alicia and they'd be joined in by a teacher for a minute or two at most.

"Yeah!" Alica said with a smile that was both a little bashful and very bright, "But maybe it's not as big of a deal when you're from there?"

a v a
Musicals? At the thought of it, ava chuckled softly. "I've seen enough to last me a lifetime." She said with a smile. Ava could easily reminisce over the times she had gone to see musicals and plays, even long before she gained her cursed to live forever. She had gone with her family and when she had been married off to that terrible man, being able to go out see musicals were one of the few lights in her life and it only continued to do so. Living near Broadway had made living in New York city just as extraordinary. "I still love them though." Just as she loved music. "They can be expensive, so no not everyone living there has seen one. But they're so worth it, the live performance is so much better than the studio recordings."
Ava fiddled with his food on her tray by gently pushing it around with the prongs of her fork. It was a subconscious action as she spoke to Atlas and Ava. Her food had been forgotten. And all that was on her mind was the topic at hand. So, Alicia liked musicals. Ava felt they were going to get along just great. "You have to go and see one live for yourself one day, you won't regret it." Ava guaranteed the brunette girl before remembering that she did have food and she swiftly took a bite of it.​
Funnily enough, despite her giving them vocal permission to ask her anything, she was glad they didn't immediately ask her why she moved. After all, she still didn't have a perfect answer to give any outsiders. Though, to say her life was a mess and that she needed to get away would be a vague answer, it was the only answer she could give. and it would be honest. Even if she didn't add the bit about her living for hundreds of years and the hardships that came with her gift of seeing the dead drove her to run away to a small town.​
"Maybe I could join you two sometime?" Ava said slowly, unsure if it was okay to join them or not. Her eyes flitted from Alicia to Atlas before resting on her food. She could only she was giving off a nonchalant vibe rather than a hopeful and nervous one.​

A T L A S
Alicia was listening to Ava as she was saying the most interesting things she had ever heard as she talked briefly about the musicals. She nodded along, smiling. It was sweet because Atlas knew she wasn't putting it on, she got like that when he listened to her talk about them too.

Then came the question of Ava joining them. "Oh for sure," Alicia said without the slightest bit of hesitation. Atlas nodded, sometimes it felt like Alicia just took pity on him and hung out with him because he was lonely. She was nice enough to do that but deep down he also knew she was too nice to only do it out of pity. Having someone else around would maybe make it feel more like they were just friends hanging out or something. Plus Ava was cool and seemed artsy, she'd probably be a fun addition to their after school art adventures.

"Alicia!?" the call from Alicia's friend group was one of those loud whispers, barely audible to their table but Alicia turned to her friends and saw the questioning expressions on their faces and the motion for her to come join them again. Atlas wasn't surprised in the slightest, and barely even blamed the girls for a little being rude. People were starting to mind their own business but the occasional look was still thrown their way and who knew if Erik or someone would decide Alicia was being too nice and come tell her off for talking to them. Alicia didn't really handle things like that well, Atlas had seen her try stand up for him once or twice and she almost always ended up looking like she was about to cry, which was honestly a pretty good way to get people to back off but Atlas always felt horrible about it.
Alicia let out a small sigh and shrugged, "I promised them I'd sit with them," she explained though Atlas was unsure if that was true. Alicia stood, "I'll see you two around. I hope you have a good first day Ava." And with that she made her way back to join her other friends.

Atlas picked a little at his food quietly, waiting for Alicia to be far enough gone not to hear him, then looked up at Ava. "I think they'd be cool with you sitting with them you know?" he hoped his persistence to let her know she didn't have to be with him was off-putting, but it also felt selfish to not say it, at least not now that she had actually gotten a chance to see that everyone at Owlwick High wasn't awful. And if she chose to leave they'd maybe get to hang out through Alicia anyways so he'd live. "They're all pretty alright, I eat with them sometimes too."

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: MaryGold