Whyyyy!? What's the point?!

So how do you think?

• Why would they do that?

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • It makes sense that they did that.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Doesn't matter to me, but I feel sorry for the Chinese Otakus out there.

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • You guys deserved this.

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Screw governments, and communism.

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely nowhere is weeaboo a compliment. Some groups might co-opt it in the same way Tyrion does the word Imp or some members of the military community Infidel, but it straight up is 100% derogatory.
"Weeaboo" is derogatory. It does not simply say that you like anime -- it means that you obsess over it in a really obnoxious kawaii desu holy shit I'm so Japanese you guys desu desu sort of way.

If anything, "otaku" is a term that could be taken different ways depending on context since, in English-speaking contexts, it usually just means "fan of anime" in a generally non-derogatory way, even though in Japanese it more accurately refers to an obsession of any kind and usually is derogatory. So, "otaku" is probably the word you're searching for, actually.

"Weeaboo", though? Always a derogatory term. Always.
Must be a co-opt thing then where I am, because it's always seemed to be interchangeable with Otaku for me.
That or it shared relation with Otaku in the way Geek and Nerd connect to one another depending on who you ask.

The word 'otaku' itself doesn't have very good connotations within Japan. It's a term that usually brings up to their minds the image of a hermit who is fixated on one thing. Outside of Japan, though, anime lovers tend to refer to themselves as such.

Weeaboo, from what I've seen on the webz, is supposed to refer to Japanophiles who have gone too far. An example? They start to put down or mock any other countries aside from Japan, try to speak bad Japanese, and generally whine when they don't receive pats on the back for liking Japan. That's why 'weeaboo' is derogatory, as chained had pointed out.

Anyone can love Japan and its culture. It's only when you go too far that it starts to look bad.

• Useful
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Doesn't weeaboo refer to a 'Japan' lover and not just anime? Ugh, I've met girls who just obsess over Japan and add 'desu' to every single sentence. They believe Japan is like the holy country and that everything is all kawaii kawaii cherry blossoms and 'ohmygod my hasubando will be underneath the sakura tree!' Blind girls think the place is crime free.

Also, this reminded me of the Japanese law that was passed down and a bunch of anime sites got blocked and taken down.

Doesn't weeaboo refer to a 'Japan' lover and not just anime? Ugh, I've met girls who just obsess over Japan and add 'desu' to every single sentence. They believe Japan is like the holy country and that everything is all kawaii kawaii cherry blossoms and 'ohmygod my hasubando will be underneath the sakura tree!' Blind girls think the place is crime free.
Yes. That. I've heard other terms based off of 'weeaboo'. There's a 'koreaboo', for instance.
Also, this reminded me of the Japanese law that was passed down and a bunch of anime sites got blocked and taken down.
Wait, what?

Yes. That. I've heard other terms based off of 'weeaboo'. There's a 'koreaboo', for instance.
Americaboo is one as well.

Wait, what?
Japan passed a law about illegal streaming and a lot of anime and drama sites were taken down. They were sent a court summon from Japan since the 'broke the law', of course they wouldn't be able to win in court, so the site had to be shut down. But for some reason, 90% were brought back. Dunno why. The staff didn't say anything,

Japan passed a law about illegal streaming and a lot of anime and drama sites were taken down. They were sent a court summon from Japan since the 'broke the law', of course they wouldn't be able to win in court, so the site had to be shut down. But for some reason, 90% were brought back. Dunno why. The staff didn't say anything,
I watch anime on Kiss Anime. Hope that one didn't get affected, lol, if this was recent.

Would be impossible to completely take every anime and drama streaming out there, though. When there's a will, there's a way.

I watch anime on Kiss Anime. Hope that one didn't get affected, lol, if this was recent.

Would be impossible to completely take every anime and drama streaming out there, though. When there's a will, there's a way.
This was about a month ago. So Kiss Anime would be back up, even if it was taken down. I remember Dramago, Animeseason, Animeultima and a few manga sites got taken down. But most of them - if not all - came back. Strange how none of them explained what happened. We're only left to assume.

I should probably note my main exposure to the usage of the word "weeaboo" has been from anime club.
So I *might* have been exposed to bias perspectives. :P

+I already knew about Japan's hatred of weeaboo and Otaku.
I was referring to the nature of the word outside Japan.

Weeaboo, otaku; regardless what they're called I personally find most of them obnoxious and very unpleasant people to be around.

They're the reason I learned to despise anything related to Japanese pop culture because I had it constantly shoved in my face in school and beyond.

They're the reason I learned to despise anything related to Japanese pop culture because I had it constantly shoved in my face in school and beyond.
Murder+yui+nyan+mai+waifu+_05f7cd8822c15706b84d2b8862d57f77.jpg

I'm ready...

Diana's_Sword_Stance.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.