Why?

I'm a whore for acknowledgement for anything I put on paper. Either that or plain entertainment purposes.

It's fun!

It takes my mind away from real life worries and stress.

It is an interesting way to meet new people, and learn about new characters.

I have only been doing roleplay for a few months, and I've greatly enjoyed it.

Reactions: WarriorHeart
Because it takes the otherwise solitary act of writing a story and makes it a group activity with people who share a similar taste in fictional stories with me.

Also, for entertainment, not for fun. Sometimes I will write scenes that make me feel depressed or angry--that's distinctly not fun, but it's quite enthralling and draws me into the story, so it's entertaining.

Though, really, the difference is splitting hairs.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Also, for entertainment, not for fun. Sometimes I will write scenes that make me feel depressed or angry--that's distinctly not fun, but it's quite enthralling and draws me into the story, so it's entertaining.
Today I learned...

So I can drop games and feel bad about myself?

No in honesty, Writing is one of my great passions in life. RP is a natural extension of that.

I've always been a storyteller. My dad and I still occasionally talk about, when I was little, how I used to insist on hearing stories all the way home from school (it was about an hour long drive). Roleplaying, in my mind, combines the best elements of novels, video games, and movies / tv shows. It is a collaborative effort, and the story is never set. It can switch up in a moment, because of a single sentence my partner threw in, that sparks a whole new idea in my head.

I've never been good at writing by myself. I'm very, very good at coming up with ideas, but until I have a partner to help me flesh it out, it can never get beyond the stages of an idea. Only when I put my idea before someone else can I understand how good, or absolutely terrible and incomprehensible, it is.

Roleplaying also allows me to write without having to worry about getting sued! :D I tend to take my ideas from somewhere else, and then tweak them until they perfectly fit me and my partner. As long as it isn't an obvious copy (in which case it has to go into the fandom section) I don't have to worry about someone being pissed because my idea was too close to their idea!

Because I am bored and have no life Because RP-ing is fun.

Three reasons.

First, for entertainment. I make the same distinction as Brovo here, because not all entertaining things are fun. Evoking strong emotions, even if it's sadness or anger or other not-so-fun things, can be rather entertaining.

Second, because I enjoy the act of writing. I like to write things, regardless of the subject matter. I'm one of those people who actually enjoyed writing essays for school. Roleplaying is a good reason to write stuff regularly, and it has bonuses over a lot of other kinds of writing in that it's entertaining.

Third and finally, because it's a good way to exercise my creativity. I'm crap when it comes to other creative mediums, like drawing and making music and such, so the written word is the only one that really appeals to me when I get that urge to create something. Roleplaying is a nice choice for this because I'm better at sticking to it than I am at sticking to solo writing projects, plus I can do all sorts of fancy stuff with my content and writing style that wouldn't be acceptable for formal writing things, so it has become one of my main outlets for creative impulses over the years.

It's fun.

Like, this ain't complicated.