Original poster
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. One post per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Brovo's "why?" thread made me think it was going to be a thread full of people asking questions that they never understood the answers to.

I am now disappointed by the lack of such a thread, so I'll start one myself.

FIRST QUESTION:

Why are there ads for hearing aids... on the radio? Your target audience -- people who need hearing aids but don't have any -- can't hear you. Or at least, not very well.

A TV ad? That makes sense -- you can put words on the screen. You can have closed captions put in. It works. Radio ads, though... I just don't get it.

And, like, you could argue that they're directed more at the friends and family of someone who needs hearing aids, but if that's the case, why do none of them seem to be framed that way? All the ones that I've heard are like "Are you having trouble hearing as well as you used to??" and all I can think is just "...The only people who could answer 'yes' to that are people who probably didn't comprehend the question in the first place." o_o

I just don't see how hearing aid companies can think that radio ads are a good investment.

If a tree falls in a forest, does it make a sound? Or is that a social construct?

Brovo's "why?" thread made me think it was going to be a thread full of people asking questions that they never understood the answers to.

I am now disappointed by the lack of such a thread, so I'll start one myself.

FIRST QUESTION:

Why are there ads for hearing aids... on the radio? Your target audience -- people who need hearing aids but don't have any -- can't hear you. Or at least, not very well.

A TV ad? That makes sense -- you can put words on the screen. You can have closed captions put in. It works. Radio ads, though... I just don't get it.

And, like, you could argue that they're directed more at the friends and family of someone who needs hearing aids, but if that's the case, why do none of them seem to be framed that way? All the ones that I've heard are like "Are you having trouble hearing as well as you used to??" and all I can think is just "...The only people who could answer 'yes' to that are people who probably didn't comprehend the question in the first place." o_o

I just don't see how hearing aid companies can think that radio ads are a good investment.

Because the ads are targetted to people who have hearing aids but may be unsatisifed with the ones they have. Ever have a pair of glasses you hated for whatever reason? It's like that.

Obviously if you're going deaf, the presumption is you'd see a doctor first and be set up for hearing aids. The guys doing the advertisements aren't going, "gee, I hope all these deaf people hear this and decide they want to hear again!"

It's like how drive thru ATMs usually have braile on them. It's not because they expect blind drivers, the buttons already exist for the indoor models so it doesn't make sense to make specialty ones just because the machine is outdoors.

• Thank You
Reactions: Greenie and Brovo
Presents. If a loved one or someone you owe a favor is having trouble hearing, you'd be want to get something for 'em.
That, and the hearing aids they generally advertise on the radio are hearing aids, not the cure for deafness. Generally, hearing aids are used to turn "mmfafn fmaf fmf" into "let's play bingo," so the target audience would feasibly be able to hear the ad.
If a tree falls in a forest, does it make a sound? Or is that a social construct?
Science says yes, but we can't prove that science exists either so we honestly don't know.

But if you believe that science exists, then it is feasible to believe that trees taking a dive in the forest make sound.

How the hell does space work?
there is no thing in space
so it is rly big
so hwen you go to space
you see no thing for long time

since there is no thing in space
light is not stopped by things
so you see light from rly far away

there is no air-ygen
and therefore there are no human in space
because human are actually air-ygen

there is no thing to stop things that are there to go
so things that are going in space go
and only stop when another thing is in space

Reactions: Brovo
Presents. If a loved one or someone you owe a favor is having trouble hearing, you'd be want to get something for 'em.
That, and the hearing aids they generally advertise on the radio are hearing aids, not the cure for deafness. Generally, hearing aids are used to turn "mmfafn fmaf fmf" into "let's play bingo," so the target audience would feasibly be able to hear the ad.

Science says yes, but we can't prove that science exists either so we honestly don't know.

But if you believe that science exists, then it is feasible to believe that trees taking a dive in the forest make sound.

so it is rly big
so hwen you go to space

there is no air-ygen

THAT TREES TAKING A DIVE FROM THE FORTY YARD LINE

ITS A FOUL, REF.

ITS A FOUUUUUUL.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
There's also the presumption that friends and family of the deaf who can hear would pass the information along.
How the hell does space work?
Space (outer space I'm assuming) is never truly empty. Dark energy and dark matter comprise empty space, along with various forms of background radiation, like light, and gravitational forces giving slight tugs at one another. There is however one upsetting quality, and that is that dark energy is pushing various galactic clusters apart from one another. One day, in the distant future, when the milky way and andromeda galaxies collide and become one mega-galaxy, the night sky will start to grow dimmer, and dimmer, and dimmer, until everything out there is too far for us to see anymore.

Also, we're being pulled in one direction by something with the sheer gravitational force of ten thousand milky way galaxies, and we don't know what it is, because it lies beyond the galactic veil--the area no telescope can see past, because there's too many of our own stars in the way.

Sleep well.

Why am I awake at 1:11 am
Because, sweet summer child, you haven't turned off your distractions and laid down to rest.

• Thank You
Reactions: Hana

so it is rly big
so hwen you go to space

there is no air-ygen

Wh- see-
Now you're starting to post how I did before I realized that I needed a break.

There's also the presumption that friends and family of the deaf who can hear would pass the information along.

Space (outer space I'm assuming) is never truly empty. Dark energy and dark matter comprise empty space, along with various forms of background radiation, like light, and gravitational forces giving slight tugs at one another. There is however one upsetting quality, and that is that dark energy is pushing various galactic clusters apart from one another. One day, in the distant future, when the milky way and andromeda galaxies collide and become one mega-galaxy, the night sky will start to grow dimmer, and dimmer, and dimmer, until everything out there is too far for us to see anymore.

Also, we're being pulled in one direction by something with the sheer gravitational force of ten thousand milky way galaxies, and we don't know what it is, because it lies beyond the galactic veil--the area no telescope can see past, because there's too many of our own stars in the way.

Sleep well.
I only know this because I once was an avid viewer of VSauce.

Why are there two threads with "why" as the title

Why are there two threads with "why" as the title
Because I said that the title of Brovo's thread made me think that it would be something it wasn't.

So then I wanted to make a thread that was more along the lines of what I thought Brovo's would be.

But I wasn't creative enough to come up with a new title. :P

When I saw both Brovo's and your Why threads, only one thought flew through my mind. It's a thought every parent, or everyone who ahs worked with kids, has said or thought at one point.

Because I said so, that's why.

Status
Not open for further replies.