Why is your Utopia a Dystopia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how almost everyone is saying that there is no downside to their utopia. X3

It's mostly in a joking sort of way, but still, it's completely missing the point of this entire discussion; and that is to come up with negative side effects to what you see as the perfect utopia.
Well of course ^^ If there's a downside, then it's not a true utopia now is it?

*slowly raises hand* I know it by that name.

I'm sure lots of people here do, even if they don't always use it in conversation.
Then you get a cookie :D... And apparently almost everyone else here too o.o

@Brovo
Huh, looks like I have some history to look up one day. History has always been kinda samey to me. Same stuff, different methods. Although those different methods do lead to different kind of interesting events, but something I was never really interested in looking too deep into (Yet anyway)

@A rather majestic pig
I made a bet with myself last night that you would rate that "Go home you're drunk" Glad too see I won ^^

Well of course ^^ If there's a downside, then it's not a true utopia now is it?
Well, no, of course not, it's what you would view as a perfect utopia, not an actual utopia.

I find it hard to believe that a true utopia could ever even exist, humans are just too flawed for that sorta thing in my opinion.

Reactions: Shadon Xarian
Down with concrete jungles, but still have the medical tech to save lives. Freedom everywhere, but everyone minds their own business and recognizes that people have differences, and that's cool. Everyone's an omnivore. No favoritism, no dogpiling people who have different opinions, no policing of said opinions. Everyone stops acting like they're morally superior.

Oh, and flying cars. No lights, clear skies. Stars are always cool.

This kind of utopia would probably only last half a decade, though. People can be awful.

Actually, a setting I've created explores this...to an extent. The nation called Zion, which the protagonist serves, is basically a slight exaggeration of my political views. Unfortunately, people misinterpret them, which makes the society not work as well as it should.

Basically, they're a capitalistic techno-theocracy (their religion holds rationality as a virtue and the world to be a "great machine"), who believe they were chosen by the god of justice to spread the light of civilization and technology to the world (they are correct in this view). "The Great Enlightening", they call it.

However, many use the "Great Enlightening" as blatant imperialism, and a justification for racism against the other people. Their technology has caused various social problems (the rich getting cool techno-gadgets while the poor are stuck with crap).

They aren't portrayed as bad guys per say, though. The actual villains are another nation, and they're outright Stalinists. But armed with Necromancy and human sacrifice as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Brovo
This thread in a nutshell.

We start taking pointers from Bonobo's.

Pros: Global decrease in stress, conflict and discrimination based on sexuality.
Cons: It's a matter of time before everyone has aids.

My utopia would have America developing superhumans instead of nukes, and then the world is filled with superhumans.

The downside is that everything is written by Frank Miller. And drawn by Rob Liefield.

Status
Not open for further replies.