Why is autism so popular lately?

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by Isabella Hime, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Keep seeing it mentioned everywhere.. then I found this on 4chan...

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html

Isabellas got this score.. 29 is ok I guess.. not autistic enough! Isabellas have been diagnosed as bipolar schizophrenics before though.. maybe they like patterns too.. we need a schizophrenic score test.. Isabellas would ace that one.

Agree: 2,4,5,6,7,9,12,16,18,19,22,23,26,33,35,39,41,42,45,46: 1 point
    Disagree: 1,11,17,24,25,27,38,47,48: 1 point
    Score: 29

I wanna see what everyone else gets on this...

2. Agree: 2,4,5,6,7,9,12,13,16,18,19,22,23,39,41,43,46: 1 point
    Disagree: 1,11,15,17,24,25,30,31,34,37,38,44: 1 point
    Score: 29

Let's see....ALREADY KNEW I HAD IT, SO SCREW YOU TESTS. I just force myself to try and understand the world even though I really don't.

As for why it's so popular, it is because people are paranoid douches that like making their children more socially isolated than they need to be. There's a difference between actually having a disorder and being a pretentious prick.

3. THIS SHIT DOESN'T MAKE ANY KIND OF SENSE.

"You prefer to do things by yourself?"

Err. . .Yeah, I mean, depends on the stuff.

"YOU ARE AUTISTIC BECAUSE YOU PREFER TO MASTURBATE ALONE."

;_;!

4. All so.. why are there no autistic females? Only see guys with it..

5. Agree: 41: 1 point
    Disagree: : 1 point
    Score: 1

Wait...is that good or bad?

6. .-. I'm guessing a lower score's better?

Agree: 12,22: 1 point
    Disagree: 1,11,15,28,29,30,37,38,44,48,49: 1 point
    <NOBR>Score</NOBR>: 13

7. Some theorise that Autism is the extreme male brain, hence why the male:female ratio among Autistics is 10:1. It's a predisposition towards process and "deep focus" (as opposed to the female "wide focus") - a thinking atomistic rather than holistic.

It's popular right now because:

A) It's more or less invisible, so artists and douchebag parents can exploit it.

B) Because of the high end of the autistic spectrum that manifests savant skills (and we've always been fascinated by "superhuman" powers)

C) Because of the rise of the "geek" culture which may or may not be directly related to a rise in autistic tendencies, suggesting that autism may be increasing in order to evolutionary-match our current information-rich and socially isolated environment.

And D) Because the world is preparing itself for my novel. :|

8. I go the the activity center together with an autistic female. Also, you can arguably place borderline syndrome in the autistic spectrum, and I know 2 or 3 of those as well.

To answer your question, there ARE autistic females, it's just a lot rarer. As to the cause of that rarity I'm not going to speculate...I have a couple of theories though.

Also...not going to do an autism test...if both the psychiatrist and psychologist determine I have Aspergers independently from one another I'm not going to allow some bitch with a high-school diploma and a fascination for SOME idealized form of autism tell me I'm actually not...

9. I don't hang out with autistic girls very often, because it's like listening to myself talk....And then I realize I'm annoying. :o

10. Agree: 12,26,33: 1 point
    Disagree: 1,10,11,14,15,17,24,25,30,32,34,36,38,44,47,48: 1 point
    Score: 19

I still maintain that I'm only socially retarded.

Yeah, I said it.

11. Name: Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden

Codename: Harry, Dresden, Wizard, Infidel, Mr. Scruffy, Eagle One, Darth Dresden.

Origin: Dynamite Entertainment. The Dresden Files

Birthdate: October 31st.

Race: Human Magi

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Brown

Height: 6'4

Weight: 190 lbs

Education Level: He has a GED. : |

Citizenship: US of A.

Level: Superhuman

[​IMG]

Powers:
    As one of the most powerful younger wizards of the White Council, Dresden has a large repertoire of magical powers. His skills at evocation, or ‘quick and dirty’ magic, aka "kaboom magic", aka "battle magic", lean toward large blasts of fire and force, sometimes using wind, and also has some skill with earth (usually manipulating gravity) and lightning magic. He has considerable magical brute strength, though his control is initially somewhat lacking - for example, while he could easily shatter a pair of handcuffs, he may also break the wrists of the person wearing them. For this reason, Dresden is ofttimes referred to as a magical 'thug'. Later in the series, Dresden is also shown to have tremendous power in ritual form battle magic, when he uses the energy of a ley line to concentrate gravity for several miles around into a small zone, and flattens hundreds of enemy combatants at once though he's vastly improved since.

The full list of spells is found here.

Abilities: Private Investigator-related skills, brawling, can quote Star Wars movies from memory.

Equipment:

Staff — A long staff used for channeling magic. Also works well as a bludgeoning weapon. It's proper to wield the staff in the left hand. Dresden's original staff, made from a part of an old oak tree that was struck by lightning on Ebenezar McCoy's farm, was destroyed as of Changes. As of Skin Game Dresden has replaced it with a staff carved from the oldest tree on the island of Demonreach. This version of his staff has been inscribed with the same sigils formerly used on his now lost kinetic energy rings. While the staff can only cast the spell once, it has the energy storage sigil carved into it 77 times.

Enchanted duster — One of his signature pieces of gear, originally a black canvas duster, it is now a long leather coat enchanted to work as armor against various attacks. The first leather duster was given to him by Susan Rodriguez in Fool Moon. First appears with the armored enchantments at the beginning of Blood Rites: fighting Shen and later when a Black Court vampire. In Cold Days, Molly Carpenter buys Dresden an inverness coat to replace the ruined duster.

Blasting rod — A rod used for channeling fire spells.

Shield bracelet — A bracelet with tiny medieval shield charms on it. Used for creating force fields. The bracelet began as a simple silver construction, but has evolved to feature a chain of multiple metals woven together and shields of different metals. The evolved bracelet was destroyed as of Changes. As of Jury Duty, Dresden has replaced it with a single band of copper inscribed with sigils which occasionally throws out sparks.

Energy-storing rings — Rings which are enchanted to store a small fraction of kinetic energy into them at all times. Dresden first owned only one copper ring, and and later had rings made of silver for each of his fingers. They are described as simple bands with a number of runes inscribed on the interior. As of Small Favor, he had upgraded these rings from single bands to three bands stacked on top of each other, with each band capable of holding the same amount of energy as one of the previous rings.

Silver pentacle pendant — A pendant Dresden inherited from his mother. Used for various spells, including tracking Thomas's identical pendant and as a focus for calling up wizardly light. Once used to kill a loup-garou.

Margaret LeFay's jewel — Also, in Changes, Dresden gained a red jewel that he has joined to the center of the pentacle. This jewel contains Dresden’s mother, Margaret LeFay's vast knowledge of the Ways.

Cane sword - able to channel earth-based magic ~ victorian, has a slender thirty-inch steel blade inside.

Dead Man's Talisman — Used to protect him from spirits. In Grave Peril, he gives it to Lydia who had asked him for protection from a hostile spirit.

Enchanted rope — The rope is Faerie make, it has hair from a Unicorn woven through it. Holds where handcuffs won't. The spell Dresden put on it that operates it with his will is set to his apartment and won't work elsewhere.

Speaking stone (also sending stone) — a smooth piece of fire-rounded obsidian that Dresden uses it to communicate with Ebenezar McCoy. Dresden keeps it in a cigar box amid other miscellaneous stones as camouflage.

Silver belt buckle — Hand-carved by Dresden between Death Masks and Blood Rites, the belt buckle was cast from silver into the design of a standing bear. Its purpose was to contain a reservoir of raw life and magic in case of emergencies, "nitrous for the body, mind, and soul." Upon activation, the energy contained within the buckle would flow into the bearer, rejuvenating them.

Weaknesses: Still very human and thus squishy. Also, women in distress and dames in general, like any good PI.

Bio: Our titular character, a wizard and private investigator. A very tall and profoundly (un)lucky man, Harry Dresden is almost the perfect archetypal noir detective, but with a heavy dose of modern snark and humor. Born to an actual witch and a stage magician and orphaned at a young age, Harry Dresden is adopted by a friend of his mother and trained in the ways of magic. Sounding pretty generic, right? WRONG!

His adoptive father, Justin DuMorne is actually a Warlock (black magic user) and was training Harry to be a loyal enforcer. When his adoptive father tries to put him in a psychic headlock of forced loyalty, Dresden ends up burning him to death in an impromptu wizard's duel. Naturally, the Wardens show up and arrest Harry for killing with magic, a violation of the Laws of Magic that Harry was never told about.

He barely avoids getting beheaded, due to the fact that he was acting in self defense against Black Magic, and because Ebenezar McCoy speaks on his behalf and agrees to foster him. He's then placed under parole, with the penalty for violation being death, for the majority of his young adulthood. Being by far the most powerful mage of his generation and an openly practicing wizard mortals see him as a charlatan or a looney, much of the wizard community sees him as a loose cannon at best, although a good chunk of White Council's the younger generation look up to him as someone who is not afraid to call the senior council out., and an unrepentant warlock at worst, while low-level practitioners generally see him as a walking disaster and bully like they see all wizards (although their opinion shifts greatly as he grows in fame, joins wizard-KGB, and founds a mage neighborhood-watch network).

Other supernaturals generally treat all wizards with distrust and respectful fear, but over the course of series Harry's (partially misguided) reputation among non-human supernaturals grows from "Be afraid" to "OH FUCK HE'S AFTER ME!". Because of this he's become something of a loner, though he does have a few close friends. He's been in several relationships, but most ended in blood, tears, or flames. An honest man, he tries to do the right thing, but often, the right thing gets you put on the shit lists of vampire lords and the like. He's chivalrous to a fault, causing him no shortage of pain. It might be fair to call him honorable in that he prefers not to lie and will do his best to help the helpless, but he's not above fighting dirty or weaseling his way out of a deal, especially where his Godmother is concerned.

Despite being a generally good person, he sees his own power as something he needs to carefully hold in check. He's well aware of the fact that with all his power he's one moment of careless rage away from burning down a building or blowing up a gas station, so he sees the careful and righteous use of power as being very important, though he never hesitates to use his power where he feels it's needed (read: burn down any building that looks at him funny). His immense magical power is severely hampered by the lack of control and refinement resulting a very low cost-effectiveness with "quick and dirty" field magic - his fire evocations are huge explodey fireballs, his shields are direct force absorbers and his telekinesis can throw a car but cannot hit a button across a room - for this reason some other wizards see him as kind of a brute.

Later his evocation skill grows to a respectful level only for him to often find himslef fighting without his focus tools at hand which pretty much brings him back to "wasting raw power on flashy and powerful but barely controlled spells" level. Meanwhile his thaumaturgy is way more refined and controlled as he fucking loves tinkering with rituals, artifacts and potions in his free time and the majority of his day work also revolves around using thaumaturgical rituals to find people or lost things.

12. Agree: 2,4,12,13,16,23,26,33,39,43,46: 1 point
    Disagree: 25,37,38: 1 point
    Score: 14

Yay! I confirmed what I already know? XD

BUT YES. It's popular right now cause it's the "NEW ADD". People always want to lay claim to some sort of mental or physical disorder. Either because it gains them sympathy or gives them an excuse not to take responsibility for their behaviors. "My bad, I can't keep a job cause I have ADD" or "I'm an asshole cause I'm autistic!" Doctors will over diagnose because they get PAID for it and it shuts up parents that can't raise their kids.

And then if makes the people who really DO have the disorders look bad. >:[ Makes me mad.

I'm proud to say I don't have any mental disorders! >:D And that parents didn't bother with me to take me anywhere to get diagnosed. t__t it was AAAALLL for isabella!

13. Yes.. I got diagnosed for schizophrenia by 3 different doctors.. Can't argue with those odds! All so I read up on schizophrenia after making this topic and damn.. I have every symptom of it.. diana probly has what ever it is Mom and Granny have..

14. Hey,

So things happened with the discord server and it was deleted... Oops? *Cough*
    Well, I've created a new server for those who feel like joining and talking there (link on start page has been updated), so feel free to join again, and give suggestions on what channels you feel are needed. Right now there are general, anime discussion, manga discussion and voice actor (Seiyuu).

Just like Jesus, animanga died and resurrected. ;D

Discord - Free voice and text chat for gamers

15. Diana's just a bitch.

DIAGNOSIS DONE AND DONE.

16. Agree: 4,5,6,12,13,19,23: 1 point
    Disagree: 3,11,14,15,24,25,28,29,30,49: 1 point
    Score: 17

17, eh? New lucky number? *makes a mental note to add that number to his lottery play slip on Friday*

17. So since my score was "1" I'm the least autistic out of everyone else's scores that were posted? *CONFUSION!*

18. adhd up in this motherfucker.

seriously, the ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AUTISM/ADD cockbadgers are almost as bad as the THERE IS NO AUTISM/ADD knucklefuckers.

almost.

19. To a degree everyone falls into the whole autistic spectrum somewhere.

Also, exploiters suck. It's not my fault my social skills suck in the real world (intertoobs is different since I'm not dealing with someone face to face, but if anyone has tried talking to me via Skype, you know I don't do a whole lot of talking).....Damn cocks.

20. Agree: 2,4,5,12,13,18,33,35,39,42,46: 1 point
    Disagree: 11,25,28,30,31,48,49: 1 point
    Score: 18