Why Halo 4 sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except for the fact that In the cannon books it was like mega-legendary difficulty but then again chief is superbly intelligent where as in the game you are restricted to what the game designers developed.

The crawlers aren't that bad, really, it's just the promethean knights. When the binary rifle can't kill them in two shots...that's ridiculous.

@DGraves
I've beat every game on legendary- this was the hardest by far. I can juke the elites and get past their horrifically complex dodging system, I can avoid wraiths and ghosts with a battle rifle and a magnum. what I can't deal with, is two Promethean knights running Scattershots and a backup Promethean with a Binary rifle.

I know to you that means I suck, but the prometheans are OP on legendary. Are you actually sure you had it on legendary?

Oh yeah, I'll say it was hard as hell. Just took a bit more firepower than usual... okay, alot more firepower. Beasting through that while (somehow) keeping your death count low is nothing short than a considerable amount of work and pure luck (with some fish too). I agree they're harder than hell on Legendary, but I must be doing something good enough to keep those bastards from killing me.
In all honesty, I think its because I don't discriminate on what weapons I use. I'm constantly changing my weapons in game. Maybe you should try working with an unfamiliar set of weapons and see where that gets you if you haven't already; that's usually what saves my ass. (and luck, as stated)

Halo 4 was the only Halo franchise game I never bothered beating more than once. Got it on release at midnight, played it through the next day. That was it..

@DGraves
Beyond rocket launchers and sniper rifles nothing drops them quick. Suppressor don't do anything to them, same with the SAW.
It's literally two mags of DMR fire to drop one....

So reading these, a lot of the complaints have been about the story and campaign, which was clearly not the main focus in this particular Halo and has been creeping its way into other FPS games on the whole. The campaign is, at best, just there to justify the price tag and give a new player an introduction to controls in order for them to play the multiplayer.... With that, though, what could you really expect of a game that had a closed loop ending that then had a sequel? Nothing they could do with Master Chief after Halo 3's ending could stand up to previous games.

...That being said, the complaints about the multiplayer have been plaguing Halo for quite some time. Sure, some of them only go back to Reach, but they've still been there. Auto sentries being useless has been around since Halo 3. Melee combat being clunky has always been there. Shotgun one-shot killing is pretty much consistent across Halo as well; I will admit in Halo 4 it seems way too powerful, but it is the classic killstreak/random pick-up award of FPS games that isn't earned simply by playing longer like a lot of the other weaponry in this game and other FPS games.

While I certainly don't think Halo 4 deserved the 60 USD price tag they slapped on it, it is by no means bad. As a multiplayer-only experience it's hardly different that ones before it. Yes, it adds an annoying leveling system that actually does matter in terms of your gear, but that does not mean it is 100% terrible. It's still Halo multiplayer, and that's fine - paying another 60 USD for essentially a similar version of previous games is not. Over all, it's simply nothing new, which is made worse by the fact that the single player experience could never have a hope of standing up to the amazing precedent set by Bungie. It is simply a 'meh game.'

Reactions: Peter Feels
@J_"Kraken"

I think the multiplayer is worse than any halo so far. At least with reach the complaints were mostly armor lock and reticle bloom- the support for custom games on reach was phenomenal. But in halo 4 there is no replay value. They tried to adjust it somewhere between the battlefield and Call of duty system of "unlock by kills" (in the form of commendations) however it doesn't change anything. Halo is about balance- so why use a system for unbalanced gameplay (with things like attachments which give you and edge over silly things like "balancing" )

I love Battlefield (not a CoD fan past the original Black Ops though...MW3 was terrible, Blops 2 was meh and Ghosts was the worst multiplayer game I've played in a LONG time) and I love halo. But they have two separate lineages.

343i marketed this game to the casual gamer, who plays the game for a few months and never picks it up again.

I agree that 3 would be hard to follow...except the books did it. What about the Brute-Elite extinction war that happened after 3, when the elites glasses all brute worlds? That would have been interesting. Chief could have jumped in before all that ended, because that storyline was made to boost the strength of Halo 4's garbage story.

But is marketing to the casual gamer a bad thing? The problem with the idea that games must be 100% balanced to appease the non-casual gamer is, at its core, implausible. Starcraft attempted it, and had the worst breakout of people leaving - both pros and casual gamers. A balanced game, truthfully balanced, is little to no fun; it becomes too much like chess. Now, that being said, imbalance is often viewed the wrong way - it isn't always negative, in fact, imbalance should be supported. Using the classic fantasy RPG archetypes as an example:

The warrior's hardiness and damage output is imbalanced, but to make up for this he lacks in others that a rogue or a wizard might excel in. All classes are 'broken' in their specialized fields while retaining weaknesses in others, and so it achieves an idea of perfect imbalance.

But, if that is not what you were referring to (i.e. player skill and equipment given) I will say this: just because a pro player feels an element is broken or over powered does not mean it is. Taking the underslung grenade launcher in Modern Warfare 2, it was by all means a 'broken' weapon. It nearly always got the kill, took little to no practice to aim, and was available to all weapons with the ability to pick up ammo from corpses it could, in theory, fire indefinitely. However, it is just a way for the new player to stand up to the professionals. Broken weapons that take 'no skill' are there for a reason - because, if you notice, none of the proclaimed 'pro' MW2 players used the noob-tube because there were better strategies and ways of nullifying its effects. That's part of gaining experience in a game as a player: you learn more tricks, pick up more skills, and your general knowledge of situations grows to the point where things you deemed broken are now easily beaten (i.e. the weapons mentioned in the video above).

And I am sorry to say that this multiplayer really isn't that much different from earlier ones. It took a lot of the issues with it, but it was, essentially, the Halo 3 engine with some shiny graphics plugged in. The game modes, at their core, were the same and while user-content is always a positive, the other Halo games stood on their own without it as well. It is simply the classic example of an AAA game being an AAA game, and while it didn't evolve Halo at all like previous versions, it kept true to what the old Halo multiplayer was - a fast-paced shooter focused on close range action.

Last edited:
I feel like @Maddeline says it best. I could only stand this game with shots in me. I again moved on to Battlefeild 3 after this hoping for a better game, and fell in love with it.

I feel like @Maddeline says it best. I could only stand this game with shots in me. I again moved on to Battlefeild 3 after this hoping for a better game, and fell in love with it.

I'm just trying to explain why the complaints are there. The fact that this was a 60$ title for what was essentially stale multiplayer opens the door for people to feel the entire game is bad, when really it just simply wasn't worth the cost. People don't complain about Titanfall despite it having the exact same flaws Halo 4's story had (granted Titanfall was a new IP with no previous expectations). Expectations were certainly changed because the campaign in Titanfall was essentially multiplayer prep, but then Halo 4 should have taken the same approach with story-based deathmatch games and the like. Halo 4's only true flaw was trying to stand up to what the previous Halo games had done and not doing what they were going for: a reason for multiplayer.

But all in all, this is really just playing devil's advocate. Summed up, you are right, it was the weakest in the series and I don't think it was all that much worth the time and effort playing it. I'd be content to replay Reach and Halo 3 any day compared to what used to be the pinnacle of sci-fi games and the FPS genre.

Last edited:
I'm currently doing a legendary run on this game and holy shit does the checkpoint system REALLY suck. There is also very little ammo for situations where you need them-

Like when I'm facing off against a wraith and all that's on the map is a few storm rifles, 800 assault rifles and the grenades in my inventory.
(I emptied roughly 15 assault rifles into the wraith to kill it. I mean, emptied. All spare magazines.)

But ironically, the assault rifle is quite effective against Elites. Still horrible against grunts and jackals though (odd, considering the MA5B fires the same round as the DMR....yet...the do worlds of different damage. Weird.)

The last mission has the worst checkpoint area- legendary, 7 knights in the same location.
Like are you fucking kidding me?
It takes roughly 1 1/2 magazines from a light rifle to kill them if you score all headshots (I have it memorized) and that's the shit they put for you? I mean...hell, on heroic that's a fair challenge. But at least reduce the count on legendary. And they aren't easy knights either.
3 are running light rifles, one has a scattershot, and two have suppressors. The last one has a nevermiss incineration cannon.
Five of my sixteen attempts, I got down to just me and incineration cannon guy. The closest I came, I actually punched him four times with his shields down and then I just...died. He wasn't even near me- I wasn't doing co-op.
He did his little sword rush thing on me, and on promethean vision he difinitely hit me- but out of promethean vision he was nowhere near me post-mortum.
I wanted to pull my hair out it was so goddamn frustrating.
Maybe one of you all that think the prometheans are easy on legendary should come play for me. Please. I've gotten good at dispatching groups of two or three but seven...especially when 4 of the 7 refuse to be lured from their "patrol zones"...just....

ghghagahahahahgavavahahahagagagagsgag!!!!!!
>_<

If I still had live you might have been able to convince me.... If I am not mistaken you can run past them. If it is the spot I am thinking of. Best way to deal with that jerk is to assassinate him.

In fact this was my entire method for dealing with knights. I would mess with them till they charged me. Since it was always in a straight line I would sprint on a fourty five to the opposite side of their sword hand. after five to seven steps ( it varied sometimes) I would spin back. I had the timing down to where I got their first frame coming out. You can then assassinate them, but sometimes it doesn't count, and tou hit them. If that happens stick them, then head shots. Has always worked for me. I t has to be the ranged weapon hand you dodge to or get hit with the backswing. ;3

Status
Not open for further replies.