Why does my "Additional Info" code keep breaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kixinorbit

pigeons in a trenchcoat
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. One post per day
  2. Multiple posts per week
  3. 1-3 posts per week
  4. One post per week
Online Availability
varies
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Prestige
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
low/high fantasy, medieval fantasy, historical fantasy, sci-fi, cyberpunk, solarpunk, grimdark, gothic-horror, supernatural themes, limited fandoms, adventure
I'm able to add code to the text in my "additional info" box under my "information" tab; I save it and double check to make sure everything looks correct, but by the next time I check back in, the code has gone all screwy. Font will be partially changed, all my indentations are gone, and the colour is varied.

Why is this happening and what can I do to fix it?

Last edited:
I can't be certain without seeing the actual code, but something the bbParser is notorious for on this particular codebase is automatically correcting missing close-tags incorrectly. If this is the issue you're having, the solution is essentially to be extra-super-careful about bbCode when you mix multiple tags, because if they don't end in the exact opposite order they began, the bbParser starts to get real confused.

• Useful
Reactions: kixinorbit
I'll double check that next time I rework it, it's possible I closed a tag out of order. Thanks for the info!

• Love
Reactions: SamIO
@Samsterious
Update! It is working (as of now) but I'm afraid it will revert as soon as I log off for a bit.

Well, in the two minutes it took for me to post this, the code broke. Below is how I put in the code. Below that is what happens to my code after about two minutes-- with me making no changes to said code.

How I enter the code:
[spoili]
Code:
[padding=50px]
[SIZE=4][FONT=andale mono][indent]"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger[/indent]
they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy?
How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened?
[indent]"But in the end it's only a passing thing, this shadow; even darkness must pass. A new day will[/indent]
come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer.
[indent]"Those were the stories that stayed with you, that meant something even if you were too small[/indent]
to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now folk in those stories had lots
of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going because they were holding on to something."

[indent]"What are we holding on to, Sam?"[/indent]

[indent]"That there's some good in the world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."[/indent][/FONT][/SIZE]
[/padding]
[/spoili]

What it looks like after it breaks:
[spoili]
Code:
[padding=50px]
"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger
they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy?
[SIZE=4][FONT=andale mono]How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened?[/FONT][/SIZE]
"But in the end it's only a passing thing, this shadow; even darkness must pass. A new day will
come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer.
"Those were the stories that stayed with you, that meant something even if you were too small
to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now folk in those stories had lots
[SIZE=4][FONT=andale mono]of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going because they were holding on to something."
[/FONT][/SIZE]
"What are we holding on to, Sam?"

"That there's some good in the world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."

[/padding]
[/spoili]

Are indents just not allowed? Thanks again for your time!

Last edited:
I see nothing wrong with your original code at all. The [indent] appears to be used correctly, as well.

At this point, I wonder if this is, in fact, a field bug. It looks like the mess is a result of the bbParser chewing up the [indent] bbTag and spitting out the confused remains.

@Diana; Is the "Additional Info" field under "Information" in a user's profile correctly implementing the [indent] bbTag?

//is a breaker of things.

Thanks for checking into this!

Status
Not open for further replies.