Why American directors can't do action

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should really watch The Raid at some point. While I'm at it, any other fighting movies y'all can recommend binging on?

Check out 'Flash Point' (the clip I posted initially is from it). Great example of China's modern action stuff.

And seriously. Donnie Yen is a dude.

• Thank You
Reactions: Brovo
Those are pretty hardcore scenes ... I think I've grown soft.

Man, you should see the bit where Rama takes a guy out by impaling him through the neck with a broken door.

The Raid is fucking brutal. I love it.

Oh yeah. Korean fight movies can be pretty stellar to :D

Oldie but goodie.

Actually. One of favourite medival fight scenes gotta be the bandit attack in Black Death. Its just brutal and vicious.
Black Death is such an underrated movie. I watched it with no hopes and it turned out to be one of my favorite medieval movies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Asmodeus
Black Death is such an underrated movie. I watched it with no hopes and it turned out to be on of my favorite medieval movies.
I went in expecting Sean Bean and a shitty cast doing a typical fantasy movie. Got a gritty mindfuck thriller set in Medieval times with the most satisfying deathscene twist I've seen in a while :D

Reactions: Atlas Child
Hammers D:

(All good fight scenes are from asian movies? :D )

I could prolly drag some of my favorite fight scenes from american ones. But currently I am just loving on the Souther asia. A

Also note that there is about as massive a difference between most Chinese and Thai/indonesian fight movies as their is towards Western and Chinese. Different approaches all around.

One thing I noticed missing is the protagonist taking a beating .. but then again these are just clips.

A fair amount of spectacular fight scenes come from Asia, but so do a lot of really horrible ones. People walking on water or flying through the air come to mind as I'm not a fan of that specific way of handling a fight. I think it all comes down to preference, because the West also produces a lot of great fight scenes.

You can throw cinematography techniques around all you want and claim one better than the other, but ultimately how good a fight is depends on how well it resonates with the viewer. I would consider the Raid and Raid 2 Eye candy fights. Don't get me wrong they are great, but come on the final confrontation is nonstop fighting for two minutes or more. At that point it's eye candy, albeit damn good eye candy. Eye candy fights are well and dandy but fights with emotional build up and investment can be just as rewarding and is something ANY culture can produce.

On the topic of the thread, which is ACTION movies, not fight movies, I think it's a bit biased to claim American directors are incapable of action. I shouldn't need to say this but literally everything this thread discuses boils down to personal preference, you could argue one cinematography technique is far superior to another but even then the entire purpose of good film making is to give the viewer a good experience. A fight scene isn't the movie, it's part of the movie and arguing that a very specific filming technique needs to be used to have a successful fight scene is naive. Hell, technically Fight Club had fight scenes and while they weren't showy or spectacular they supplemented the overall movie in a positive enough way for me to deem successful or 'good'.

I think it's a bit biased to claim American directors are incapable of action.
Well, if we're talking straight action, there's one movie that settles this quite nicely...

FUCK YOU FOR WHAT I THINK YOU WROTE, UNANUN - YOU JAPANESE SCUM!

Also, I went looking for clips of good NON-YELLOW-SKINNED-ALMOND-EYED-CUNT directed films. But they weren't on YouTube. So I got angry. Then I gave up.

Fuck all of you.

Also, I went looking for clips of good NON-YELLOW-SKINNED-ALMOND-EYED-CUNT directed films. But they weren't on YouTube. So I got angry. Then I gave up.

Fuck all of you.

giphy.gif

This gif speaks to me on levels I cannot begin to comprehend, but the gorilla sells it.

Also! Just wanted to throw out there, the church scene in Kingsmen has to be one of my favorite fight sequences in a long-ass time.

Fuck all of you.
I just recognized that your avatar is also The Devil in certain Tarot decks.

Neato.

Thanks for the input.

Putting Children of Men out there, even though it is technically a British-American film. It utilizes similar techniques of continuous shots, wide focus, and beautiful, realistic action and in-action scenes.

Best part? No shakey-cam.

And I secretly want this girl to play Nu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.