Who's your fictional role model?

1) Indiana Jones

2) Captain America

Hmmm... Dante is definitely one of them, that magnificent badass. Taught me to never just lie down, to always get back up and keep fighting. And also to avoid being impaled by your own sword, literally and metaphorically.

Sora is another. Taught me that with the right friends, you can get through anything.

Rin Okumera taught me that no matter what sets you apart, no matter how much some people may hate you, no matter how often they tell you that you're worthless, that you don't belong, that you can still rise above.

I'm sure I'll think of others. I'll toss them in as I do.

Currently? That prestigious award goes to Lord Akeldama from the Parasol Protectorate series by the loverly Gail Carriger.
Dama3.jpg

My One-True Role-model though would have to be Sam Vimes. He's written by the wonderful and fantastic Sir Terry Pratchett and stares in several books in the Discworld series. Sam Vimes changed how I looked at the world and how I looked at myself. He's not just my fictional role-model, he's my fictional father figure.

snuff-by-terry-pratchett-l-iia1vh.jpg

Currently, the fictional person I look up to the most is Tina Belcher. She's a strong, sensual woman with a level of awkwardness that matches with mine. I don't care that she's a 13 year old girl. o__o I want to be her friend and I want her to teach me everything she knows about confidence.

As for one I've grown up with and to this day hold close to my heart:

mister-rogers-in-thought_4.jpg

I guess he's technically not "fictional", seeing how Fred Rogers is real, but his show inspired me so much... Of all the characters I've grown up loving, it's him that has had the greatest influence on me.

Last edited:
Jean Kirchtein from Attack on Titan.

It sounds weird as fuck considering he will probably die soon, but his blunt honesty is something I'd need, because I'm way too timid and agreeable. Plus, he is a great leader by his ability to understand the people he is leading, and understanding their situation, something I know I could be, if I just got over that crippling lack of self esteem and insecurity. Something Kirchtein also seem to have to deal with.

And then there's Douglas Adams. He ain't fictional, but his works had a huge impact on me when I grew up, so he is partly responsible for influencing me. His characters are all gems, I swear.

I've got a few.

One of them has already been mentioned: Sam Vimes from Discworld. He's a massive cynic, he's suspicious as hell and doesn't trust people as a whole, and he's sour and brooding as all hell. Despite this, he's actually an idealist who truly believes in the idea of justice in a city where thieves and assassins have been made into totally legal occupations. He's a good guy, in that he always strives to do the right thing, but he's not a nice guy, in that he'll play dirty if that's what it takes for the good guys to triumph. He's got all sorts of awful crap to deal with, and his life would be so much easier if he just gave in to corrupting influences, but he refuses to do so purely because of stubborn principles. I consider him a good fictional role model because he stands by his principles no matter what, and doesn't let even his own natural negativity change that.

Another is Roy Mustang from Fullmetal Alchemist (the Brotherhood/manga version more so than the 2003 anime version). He did a lot of horrible shit during a recent war (on orders, the whole war was really fucked up) and was made into a big ole war hero, but feels like some kind of monster for what he did, so he throws himself at bigger monsters and fights them in order to feel human again. He's also an idealist, his goal being to ensure that no more atrocities happen, preferably by becoming the leader of the country and being personally responsible for making sure it doesn't happen, though he's willing to sacrifice his life for his ideals if that's how it has to be. Oh, and when he needs to fight, he doesn't play around or try to be noble: if something needs to die, he makes it dead. I admire his pragmatism and willingness to atone for his sins.

And then there's the character I've used as an avatar for.. shit, going on two years now, across multiple forums and on various other platforms. Petyr Baelish, AKA Littlefinger, from A Song of Ice and Fire (and the Game of Thrones show). Now, he's a scummy motherfucker in a lot of ways, but that's not why I consider him a solid fictional role model. He began life as basically just one step above being a peasant, but through masterful planning and wit he turned into one of the most powerful people in the land (that's not a spoiler either, he starts off the books in that position). Though he has some less than noble goals and uses extremely nefarious methods, I respect him for proactively using what little he had to work for his goals rather than just crying about his situation and being willing to do whatever it takes to reach those goals.

• Love
Reactions: Ochalla
TTGL___Kamina_and_Simon_by_Dradise.jpg

"Don't believe in yourself! Don't even believe in the me that believes in you! Believe in the you that believes in you!"

I think that almost everybody who knows Kamina feels a little like Simon at first... and this quote is exactly what makes him so great. He makes you advance little by little with every turn. Just like a drill! 'nuff said.

Reactions: Torsty and Ochalla
@Alan and @Fluffy have great ones, I love those two, but if I had to pick one, the fictional character I aspire towards in terms of morality and sheer courageousness.

Keep in mind this was after John Sheridan (Babylon 5) was beaten, tortured for days, and told his family was going through a similar fate because of his actions. Keep in mind that if he just signed the document he'd have been allowed to live out the rest of his life on Earth.

Nope. Sticks to his principles. He would not be broken and he would not betray those he led into a war against a tyrannical dictator. In the end, he was willing to even sacrifice his life to save Earth from being rendered into smoldering ashes by said dictator. Does he survive? Why not watch the show and find that out for yourself. (Or just Google it I mean it's over a decade old you can just look that shit up yourself if you care but don't wanna watch the show.)

Though you should totally watch the show. It's one of the smartest TV shows ever made.

• Love
Kane from CnC fame.

"WE ARE THE BROTHERHOOD. ONE CAUSE, ONE VISION"

:D

Atticus Finch
.... I don't remember the story very well, but I feel like there's something wrong with this.

EDIT: Never mind. I was thinking of one of the Radley's. Whichever locked Boo in the basement.

Fictional? Tricky. :/
But I'll give it a shot.

1. Batman (Batman)

Essentially because he's willing to do what's right, even if the law and authority are against him for it.
And because he maintains the 'No killing the villain' ideology. Which although something I may criticize him for cause it could be gambling the lives of 1000's (ex: Not killing Joker in Dark Knight), I recognize that the best method to create a better society is work for a society where we don't look towards death or violence as a form of justice.

2. Garrus Vakarian (Mass Effect)

He's loyal, determined, cares about his comrades may they be on his level, above him or below him.
But is also a no-nonsense guy, he doesn't like Red Tape get in the way of doing the right thing.

And honestly: I feel if there was an alternate Mass Effect Universe where Shepard didn't exist, Garrus would basically be Shepard. :P

3. Tyrion Lannister (Game of Thrones)

Constantly treated like shit by his family (except for Jaime) for something he couldn't control. Treated his mistrust and suspicion on almost every turn, but still comes out on the other end strong, charming, witty, caring, and with a moral compass that isn't entirely based around self fulfillment.

Ron Swanson

ron-swanson-rules.jpeg

A lot of the ways I look at life were naturally similar to Mr. Swanson here. And he filled in the rest with his epic man wisdom.

• Love
Reactions: Ochalla and Fluffy
tgtbtublondie1.jpg

Tut, tut. Such ingratitude after all the times I saved your life.​

Reactions: Brovo