Who would you vote for the US presidency?

Who do you want to be president of the US?

• Hillary Clinton

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • Donald Trump

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Jill Stein

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Gary Johnson

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Bernie Sanders

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • Vermin Supreme

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Deez Nuts

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Giant Meteor 2016

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • Not voting for anyone, they all suck

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
2450994-9258833253-13928.gif

You're a darlin' with more hope in humanity than I. Thanks.
mfw the gif is a blocked URL at work...

51702144.jpg

Reactions: Greenie
I don't think that freedom applies in such a way that special considerations ought to be provided for those with sensitivities. I do think hate speech should be protected as constitutional. I do think that safe spaces are acceptable, even if I disagree with their purpose. However, it worries me that safe spaces could be used to run away from a genuine discussion of important issues.

I don't think that freedom applies in such a way that special considerations ought to be provided for those with sensitivities. I do think hate speech should be protected as constitutional. I do think that safe spaces are acceptable, even if I disagree with their purpose. However, it worries me that safe spaces could be used to run away from a genuine discussion of important issues.
Sorry. You missed the ideological throwdown. We are in the corner of shame already.

Reactions: Pahndemic
I know I'm super late to the party, but.

Clinton.

Here's why:

1. She has a chance of winning, and she's the only one who will appoint a supreme court justice that doesn't suck. EXPLAINER: How the Supreme Court Works and Why Picking A New Justice Is Such A Battle
2. Trump is worse.

I would've liked for Bernie to win. I think Hilary should be in prison, having had a secret clearance in the past myself, whether she meant to do what she did or not doesn't matter. The whole ordeal should not have occurred.
I used to think Trump had no chance of winning, but as time passes that belief becomes harder and harder to hold. I used to advocate voting 3rd party. Not because I agree with their views, but because I thought it would be good in some way to fix our two party problem. They just need 5% of the vote to be fairly represented! It seemed like a worthy thing to root for this election.
But, no, it's not. Not this election. Sorry.

The supreme court justice thing doesn't get enough attention. You should read my link above if you aren't familiar with how it works. But the low-down is basically these judges sit on the supreme court, the court that is pretty much the final line of defense to say which laws are going to remain being laws or not. These positions are life-long positions. If we get someone that thinks even remotely like Trump, we're screwed until they die or retire. Seriously. This is a big deal.

During the second debate, someone actually asked the candidates what their plans were for the justice seat, and here are their answers:
To paraphrase:
Clinton wants people with real-life experience and want to reverse Citizens United, better voters rights, defend marriage equality, and Roe V. Wade, not always side with corporations.
Trump wants to pick people like Scalia (the judge who died... very anti-lgbt person), respect the constitution and the 2nd amendment... He put a list of 20 online he was thinking about. All of them are conservative.

So this had me regretfully choosing Clinton over anything else (or just not voting) but then this tidbit came out and slapped me in the face recently:

So basically, because our votes are split up between Clinton and Johnson, Trump is going to win. (Important to note this is just military voters, not entire USA, or possible electoral votes but still).

I don't think anyone genuinely likes Clinton. But at this point not voting for her is going to make the world really suck, especially for GLBT+ people.

And yes, I realize the republicans in the Senate have said they're going to stall any democratic picks for the supreme court justice. But they can't stall forever and even if they do, that's still better than letting whoever Trump wants get in.

So yeah. Tl;dr
Clinton because of the Supreme Court.
That's it.
That's the only reason.

Edit:
Pretty much everyone in this thread is probably more intelligent than me. But as an ex-NeverHillary member I thought maybe this info could help some lurking undecideds or people who thought simply not voting would be a good position to take this year.

I'm not very political myself and the only reason I know what I do now is because of the Bernie Sanders movement. So I hope I'm not wrong when I think a lot of people out there are just as clueless as me/I was and want some more info to sway them one direction or another.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dervish
Come to think of it, Trump's only positive that I can think of is his Supreme Court nomination.

As a woman, the idea of a Trump appointed SCOTUS scares the shit out of me.
I don't see how the status of being a woman inherently gives vilification towards Trump.
If you're pro-choice, I could understand.
If you're concerned about his general attitude towards some women, I could understand.

Yet somehow there are still some women that vote for him.

I don't see how the status of being a woman inherently gives vilification towards Trump.
If you're pro-choice, I could understand.
If you're concerned about his general attitude towards some women, I could understand.

Yet somehow there are still some women that vote for him.
I am pro-choice......

I don't believe a governing body has the right to tell a woman what is best for her when it comes to pregnancy. I don't think anyone has that right to make the decision but the woman and her healthcare provider. That is how it should be, and that is how it should stay.

I am pro-choice......

I don't believe a governing body has the right to tell a woman what is best for her when it comes to pregnancy. I don't think anyone has that right to make the decision but the woman and her healthcare provider. That is how it should be, and that is how it should stay.
I think the exact opposite. I don't believe that anyone has the right to slaughter an unborn child, save for cases of rape, incest, or the life of the mother. Rarely is it a healthcare decision. That being said, it should be turned over to the states.

I think the exact opposite. I don't believe that anyone has the right to slaughter an unborn child, save for cases of rape, incest, or the life of the mother. Rarely is it a healthcare decision. That being said, it should be turned over to the states.
I'm not going to apologize for saying this, but a man, unless it's the father of the child, should have no say in that decision.

This is not a thread about abortion or reproductive rights. Take that elsewhere if you wish to continue that one, folks.

For the record, saying "I do/don't support this candidate because of their stance on X issue" is totally fine, but getting deep into the details of that side issue is veering off topic. This is now the second polite staff request to keep things on topic. There may not be a third before the thread gets shut down. Remember you can always make new threads if you have side topics that you're just burning to discuss with others.

I know I'm super late to the party, but.

Clinton.

Here's why:

1. She has a chance of winning, and she's the only one who will appoint a supreme court justice that doesn't suck. EXPLAINER: How the Supreme Court Works and Why Picking A New Justice Is Such A Battle
2. Trump is worse.

I would've liked for Bernie to win. I think Hilary should be in prison, having had a secret clearance in the past myself, whether she meant to do what she did or not doesn't matter. The whole ordeal should not have occurred.
I used to think Trump had no chance of winning, but as time passes that belief becomes harder and harder to hold. I used to advocate voting 3rd party. Not because I agree with their views, but because I thought it would be good in some way to fix our two party problem. They just need 5% of the vote to be fairly represented! It seemed like a worthy thing to root for this election.
But, no, it's not. Not this election. Sorry.

The supreme court justice thing doesn't get enough attention. You should read my link above if you aren't familiar with how it works. But the low-down is basically these judges sit on the supreme court, the court that is pretty much the final line of defense to say which laws are going to remain being laws or not. These positions are life-long positions. If we get someone that thinks even remotely like Trump, we're screwed until they die or retire. Seriously. This is a big deal.

During the second debate, someone actually asked the candidates what their plans were for the justice seat, and here are their answers:
To paraphrase:
Clinton wants people with real-life experience and want to reverse Citizens United, better voters rights, defend marriage equality, and Roe V. Wade, not always side with corporations.
Trump wants to pick people like Scalia (the judge who died... very anti-lgbt person), respect the constitution and the 2nd amendment... He put a list of 20 online he was thinking about. All of them are conservative.

So this had me regretfully choosing Clinton over anything else (or just not voting) but then this tidbit came out and slapped me in the face recently:

So basically, because our votes are split up between Clinton and Johnson, Trump is going to win. (Important to note this is just military voters, not entire USA, or possible electoral votes but still).

I don't think anyone genuinely likes Clinton. But at this point not voting for her is going to make the world really suck, especially for GLBT+ people.

And yes, I realize the republicans in the Senate have said they're going to stall any democratic picks for the supreme court justice. But they can't stall forever and even if they do, that's still better than letting whoever Trump wants get in.

So yeah. Tl;dr
Clinton because of the Supreme Court.
That's it.
That's the only reason.

Edit:
Pretty much everyone in this thread is probably more intelligent than me. But as an ex-NeverHillary member I thought maybe this info could help some lurking undecideds or people who thought simply not voting would be a good position to take this year.

I'm not very political myself and the only reason I know what I do now is because of the Bernie Sanders movement. So I hope I'm not wrong when I think a lot of people out there are just as clueless as me/I was and want some more info to sway them one direction or another.
Dude, have you been keeping up with the okeefe videos? And you're implying that anyone that Clinton picks would be any better than Trump? :huh:

Idk what will happen if Trump wins, but I know with Clinton it's just continuation of the status quo.

Dude, have you been keeping up with the okeefe videos? And you're implying that anyone that Clinton picks would be any better than Trump? :huh:
I'm not implying it. I'm outright stating it. Anyone she picks is better than anyone Trump has stated he will pick.

Idk what will happen if Trump wins, but I know with Clinton it's just continuation of the status quo.
I'd much rather that than Trump. Do you really think this is all a game and he'll suddenly turn into someone who gives a shit about other people?

I really couldn't care about policies at this point. Trump's are so outrageous they'll never pass, and Clinton's a dem so the republicans are probably going to block her like Obama.
It seriously came down to the justice seat for me, that's it.
I happen to be LGBT and as much as people like to rag on him, my life has become a hell of a lot easier under Obama's administration.
I'm not going to willingly give my vote to someone who doesn't want me to have the same rights as everyone else.

That all said, I've already voted, so if you're trying to make me change my mind, that ship has sailed.

edit:
Also the entire point of my last post was this:
Vote in Trump, get a life time of whoever he votes to be a supreme court justice.

You think that whoever we vote in will only affect us for 4-8 years? The supreme court justice is a LIFE-TIME position. And the next president is going to be the one who decides what ideologies will have the majority in the court.

Last edited:
I'm only comforted by how Trump and Johnson are more likely to select strict interpreters of the Constitution.
A lot of what Trump believes in is unconstitutional so we have a lot less to worry about.

Reactions: Illin
I'm not implying it. I'm outright stating it. Anyone she picks is better than anyone Trump has stated he will pick.

I'd much rather that than Trump. Do you really think this is all a game and he'll suddenly turn into someone who gives a shit about other people?

I really couldn't care about policies at this point. Trump's are so outrageous they'll never pass, and Clinton's a dem so the republicans are probably going to block her like Obama.
It seriously came down to the justice seat for me, that's it.
I happen to be LGBT and as much as people like to rag on him, my life has become a hell of a lot easier under Obama's administration.
I'm not going to willingly give my vote to someone who doesn't want me to have the same rights as everyone else.

That all said, I've already voted, so if you're trying to make me change my mind, that ship has sailed.

edit:
Also the entire point of my last post was this:
Vote in Trump, get a life time of whoever he votes to be a supreme court justice.

You think that whoever we vote in will only affect us for 4-8 years? The supreme court justice is a LIFE-TIME position. And the next president is going to be the one who decides what ideologies will have the majority in the court.
So judging from your response, I guess you haven't watched them. Because honestly they're both awful candidates but if you evaluate the evidence as a whole Clinton is by far worse than Trump.

And lol, implying that Clinton cares about people.

And I'm not trying to convince you in particular. Moreso for the people that might visit the last page of this topic. And btw, did you even notice that her position on gay marriage changed only when it was politically advantageous to her?

Reactions: Legens Legentis
So judging from your response, I guess you haven't watched them. Because honestly they're both awful candidates but if you evaluate the evidence as a whole Clinton is by far worse than Trump.

And lol, implying that Clinton cares about people.

And I'm not trying to convince you in particular. Moreso for the people that might visit the last page of this topic. And btw, did you even notice that her position on gay marriage changed only when it was politically advantageous to her?
We have a candidate owned by Wall Street and a candidate owned by the Kremlin.
Let's not kid ourselves and pretend the people matter in this election.

Reactions: Illin and Vardoger
@Illin

Yes, I know, in my original post I said I think Clinton should be in Prison. And I also know she says whatever she needs to to get elected.
But she (and Trump) will be out in 4 - 8 years. Whoever they elect for Supreme court justice will be here until they die or retire.

Clinton lies when it's advantageous. Yes, there is a CHANCE she might put in a justice that's anti-Gay, pro-life, and other conservative ideas. But there is NO chance Trump would do the opposite.

If you agree with Trump's views, then by all means vote for Trump.
But most people (on this forum at least) seem to be asking the question "Do I want to vote for the criminal or the wrecking ball," and I am trying to say that is not the way this question should be framed.

I used to want to vote for Trump because I agree, Clinton is more of the same crap. Trump would kick everyone and we'd all realize how shitty politics has become and fix it next election. Great thinking. Really. I'm 100% serious. If that's your view, I get where you're coming from.

But, again, it is the Supreme Court I am most concerned with. We can vote for Trump if he runs again next election when there isn't a justice seat open.

If you're anti-gay, pro-life, etc., etc., then by all means vote for Trump. If you don't agree with those views, then please familiarize yourself with what the supreme court does and how long justices serve, and consider what type of justice each candidate has stated they will select.

Last edited:
Reactions: Illin
@Illin

Yes, I know, in my original post I said I think Clinton should be in Prison. And I also know she says whatever she needs to to get elected.
But she (and Trump) will be out in 4 - 8 years. Whoever they elect for Supreme court justice will be here until they die or retire.

Clinton lies when it's advantageous. Yes, there is a CHANCE she might put in a justice that's anti-Gay, pro-life, and other conservative ideas. But there is NO chance Trump would do the opposite.

If you agree with Trump's views, then by all means vote for Trump.
But most people (on this forum at least) seem to be asking the question "Do I want to vote for the criminal or the wrecking ball," and I am trying to say that is not the way this question should be framed.

I used to want to vote for Trump because I agree, Clinton is more of the same crap. Trump would kick everyone and we'd all realize how shitty politics has become and fix it next election. Great thinking. Really. I'm 100% serious. If that's your view, I get where you're coming from.

But, again, it is the Supreme Court I am most concerned with. We can vote for Trump if he runs again next election when there isn't a justice seat open.

If you're anti-gay, pro-life, etc., etc., then by all means vote for Trump. If you don't agree with those views, then please familiarize yourself with what the supreme court does and how long justices serve, and consider what type of justice each candidate has stated they will select.
Trump changes his values when it's politically convenient. He was a liberal not too long ago, and changed drastically for the sake of running in the Republican primary. We don't know what to expect from him.

Trump changes his values when it's politically convenient. He was a liberal not too long ago, and changed drastically for the sake of running in the Republican primary. We don't know what to expect from him.
Trump is a huge wildcard, I'll admit, and kept me undecided for a really long time.
But my gut says he would never randomly pick a justice I'd agree with.
I'd think it might more likely he wouldn't even pick someone with law experience to be the supreme court justice (did you know there's no requirements for the position? wtf)

I've read through the thread and your views seem to be in the minority here but I want you to know I'm glad you've been stating them rationally anyway. That sounds pretty bad but hopefully you get what I mean. I can't words good.

Status
Not open for further replies.