Who Might You Be?

Cleaning up after himself?
That's gonna be hard since he never really had anything 'to' clean but hell.
Free food?
He'll freaking learn how to clean!
The kid was fast to the kitchen, forcing himself to slow down just enough so that the other was still leading.
Then once in the kitchen he steered straight to the refrigerator.
"Oh my goddddd."
Yup, drooling.
It had been over a good year since he'd gotten choice of anything besides trashcan food and here was a full fridge and freezer with a billion different things.
Ohhhh!
The kids face lit up at the sight of a huge bin of watermelon.
He quickly snatched it up and shoved a piece into his mouth with a loud moan.
"Mmmmm!"
Yes, watermelon was his favorite food and boy did it taste freaking good right now.

A small frown covered kais lips as he watched tanner scarf the watermelon. Apparently tanner hadn't been exaggerating when he claimed he hadn't eaten in a couple days. Leaning his back against some counter space he slipped his hands into his pockets, letting the boy enjoy the food at his disposal. "how long have you been homeless?" the question seemed to blurt out on its own. Almost immediately kai gave tanner somewhat of an apologetic look for his rudeness. Back at the school tanner had done nothing but irritate him, but now seeing the predicament he was in he felt sorry for the boy.

The boy halted his hand as it was about to bring a piece of watermelon to his mouth.
Turning he looked at the other boy and saw the look he was being given.
Hmph.
"About a year. I can deal with it."
The kid shrugged and finished tossing the last piece of watermelon into his mouth.
Wasn't there like, half a watermelon in that container...?

"Don't say that I should go to the orphanage cause I'd rather live on the street then be there anyday.
Those people are insane, trying to sell me to people and tell me how to act."
He'd actually been a really good kid there but those people were just crazy.

"oh?" kai's head slightly cocked to the side "so you lived in the orphanage for a while already then. Even if you were to go back now wouldn't it be a little pointless? You are almost 18 im assuming? Or at least not too many years from it?" taking a guess at Tanners general age he moved over to a near by cupboard and grabbed a glass before walking over to the sink. Although watermelon held quite a bit of liquid, he thought tanner might like some water to wash it down with at least. Turning the faucet on he filled the glass with cool water, his arm extended to hold the now filled glass out to him.

"Just turned seventeen last week so I got about another year.
Either way I applied for a job down at the gas station, just waiting till Friday to go down and see if I got the job."
The kid actually looked a bit glad at the sentiment of working, you'd think most kids would look forward to the movies or something but nah, he wants money so he can buy himself a place to live or at least food.
When the glass was offered Tanner took it with a quiet thanks, downing the entire thing in one breath.

As the boy finished he set the glass in the sink and then glanced hesitantly over his shoulder.
"Should I um...run, or something before your parents get home?"
Yeah, he had had stuff thrown at him before.

"you might have a hard time getting the job if you cant present yourself well" kai said, clearly meaning the boys inability to dress nice. "hopefully you get it though. A little money will do you good." he continued, once again leaning his back against the counter. Glancing back at a nearby window he shook his head "it's still raining a bit, but im not going to force you to stay. My mom wont mind you being here as long as I tell her you're a friend" he explained.

Tanner chuckled at the friend comment.
"I didn't think we were friends. Just thought you might have felt bad for me being outside in the storm."
He raised a brow, honestly wondering why the guy had even let him in.
"You know. I could steal from you, heck I could probably kill you."
Yeah, that was kind of a low blow but oh well.
"Didn't your parents ever tell you not to invite strangers into your house?"
He was trying to sound evilish or mean but it was a bit hard to take him seriously while wearing penguin pajamas.

"I do feel sorry for you, but that doesn't make us friends. Not in the slightest" kai spoke quite calmly, head turning to look at Tanner. "kill me? Somehow I don't think you would have it in you. I suppose I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it. After all, why would you bite the hand that feeds you. So to speak" letting his hands rest on the counters edge, not taking his eyes off the boy. It didnt hurt to be a bit cautious after all.

The kid couldn't help but start to laugh at biting the hand that feeds comment.
It was disturbingly true.
His voice went up a bit higher as he giggled in the open room.
It was true though, he wouldn't touch a hair on the kids head if he fed him.
A yawn slipped free of the kid's mouth, his hand quickly coming up to cover it.
"Mmnn...sorry. Having food in me kinda turns off my lights."
As in he usually passes out after a good meal, much like a pet dog, even if it was just watermelon.

The kid glanced outside and frowned.
It was so dark and he could easily hear the rain pounding against the house.
Er...his normal sleeping spot was only a few blocks away but he'd get soaked again...and have to give back the comfy pajamas...

Kai felt himself relax a bit when tanner laughed, taking him off edge. "well come on then, you can sleep in the spare room. Its getting late so if you can worry about leaving in the morning unless you're eager to leave now?" he questioned as he headed out of the kitchen. the choice was really Tanners in the end if he wanted to stay the night. Kai wasn't going to force him one way or the other.

The kid grinned and started to follow Kai.
"Unless you have a dog that hates homeless kids I don't think I'd ever want to leave."
It was a joke, of course.
He did have to leave eventually, probably soon.
Having some street kid in your house probably wasn't something Kai's parents would be too happy about.
At least that's what he thought.
The spare bedroom was huge, at least in comparison to what he'd had at the orphanage.
Tanner squeaked and bolted onto the bed, bouncing a few times before flopping onto his belly.
"Heeee, so comfy."

"well we dont have any pets so youre in luck" kai said. he watched Tanner dash at the bed and flop on it. propping himself up against the doorframe he stayed silent, letting the by enjoy his new bed for a moment. "my room is right across the hall from here. so if you need anything let me know. im usually up late working on things for school anyway so dont worry about waking me" he explained.

The boy's eyes lit up as he listened, the side of his face against the soft pillow.
"Okay!"
Once the other boy left Tanner tried to go to sleep but it was just a bit weird being inside all of a sudden.
He usually slept under an overhang or on a bench if the weather was nice.
Being on a super comfy bed just seemed...awkward.
So, after about an hour of tossing and turning he got up, grabbing the blanket from the bed and bringing it over to a large window seat.
It was still pouring but from inside it seemed so...calming.

About an hour later the boy awoke to headlights in the driveway.
He'd fallen asleep against the cool sill with the comforter wrapped around himself.
As people came out of the car he noticed they were probably the others' parents.
Crap.
He snuggled further into the blanket, hoping they wouldn't get mad at him for coming into their home or kick him out into the rainstorm.

kais parents stumbled into the house, laughing rather loudly. it wasnt hard to tell that they had been drinking, and quite heavily. with clumbsy steps they made their way upstairs. "heeyy Kai! sweetie are you awake?" a female voice said playfully, opening kais bedroom door without knocking.

kai looked back from his seat at his desk "Shh, yeah im awake but youre being loud. i have a guest staying in the other room" kai scolded.

"oh!..oh?! kai is it a girl?!" the woman turned her attention to her husband with a giggle "our son has a girlfriend! let me meet her!" she stumbled over to the room tanner was sleeping in, or trying to sleep in.

"mom no! just go to bed" kai said rising from his seat but it was too late, his mom opened the door to see who the 'girl' was.

Tanner could definitely tell that they had been drinking. Great.
So if they liked him they were gonna 'really' like him but if they hated him he was gonna get murdered.
The kid scooted down further into his blankets as he heard what was going on across the hall, then his door flew open and the woman was suddenly there.
When her eyes met his he tried to smile but his body language screamed 'defensive and unsure'.
He heard what she had said about a girlfriend and he was definitely not of that variety...hopefully she wouldn't go crazy on him.
"U-um...hello..."

"oh?... hello?" the woman said, her face full of confusion the moment she set eyes on him. clearly he had not been the girl she had hoped to see. looking back at her husband, and then at kai when he came out of his room she gave them the same expression.

"go to bed and let him sleep" kai said with an irritated sigh, moving to tanners door. "sorry they woke you up" hai mutter at tanner before no doubt giving him a bit of a confused look when he saw where he was sleeping "isnt the bed comfortable?" kai couldnt help but ask.

When the adults walked away Tanner let out a loud sigh of air he'd held.
Kai's question had him quickly sliding off the window sill bed and scrambling over to the other.
"Y-yes! It does...I just..."
He curled up into the blankets, hiding slightly from the other for some odd reason.
"I'm just not used to the quiet.
It's really nice and I love what your doing for me but...I don't know."
Guess he was so used to being on the streets with constant noise and sleeping on things that were far less comfy than what he was on now.

Peaking out from under the large comforter he offered a smile.
"I'll try to get used to it fast." He didn't want to get thrown out because he shunned an offered bed.

Kai only looked at the boy, a little surprised by his sudden actions and apologetic behavior. "Really, you can sleep however you want. If you like it by the window then youre more than welcome to sleep there. " Kai felt a sudden shyness due to the boys actions. Dare he admit that he thought Tanner looked a bit cute the way he peeked out from the blanket at him? He couldn't help the faint blush that covered his cheeks at the thought. He only hoped that Tanner wouldnt notice. "Well anyway, i better get back to my studies" Kai said after clearing his throat quietly. Turning to leave the roon he slowly shut the door behind him.

The kid looked a bit surprised that he wasn't upset.
After all, he'd offered him a bed and found him sleeping on the sofa by the window instead.
He had missed the blush or at least mistook it maybe for embarrassment that his parents had seen a boy when they expected a girl.
Either way, when the other left Tanner said a quick and quiet "Good night" before the door finished shutting.

He stayed in the bed for awhile, just thinking of things and before he knew it the kid was out cold.
Though he was curled up in a small ball with the comforter, the top of his head just barely peeking out the top.
Oh well...at least was he on the bed?

The next morning, Kai woke up rather early as usual. He had to force himself out of bed and wander to the bathroom. After a long shower he dressed and brushed his teeth. Since he didnt have school today he wore a simple black T-shirt and jeans. It was only once he was ready for the day he walked to tanners room and knocked lightly. If the boy was still sleeping he didnt want to wake him.