Who is Shakespeare?

O

Ochalla

Original poster
So who would you say is a modernday Shakespeare? Be they a book author, or movie writer or anything in between. They don't even need to be English! Just tell us who you think is an inventive storyteller.

K

Karsikan the Berzerker

Original poster
in truth, Modern literature doesn't hold a candle to Shakespeare, this man's literary skill is one of the few ways man can concentrate Raw Awesome into Pure Awesome, rarely is a human with such skill born into the world that they spend their entire lives formulating but the smallest piece of raw awesome into pure awesome, but Shakespeare, this was a man who manufactured Pure awesome faster than they could manufacture paper for him to write it on.

S

Seiji

Original poster
That's why I say Dan Simmons.

He's the closest modern-author to effectively blend poetic theme with prose. Granted, he had a lot of help from more 'classic' authors (Keats and Proust, anyone?), it's still a wonderful read.

And his stuff is SCIENCE FICTION, on top of it!

Sakura

Official Iwaku Little Sister
Roleplay Invitations
Group Roleplays, One on One Roleplays
Posting Speed
One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
After 5PM EST weekdays
Writing Levels
Elementary, Intermediate, Adept, Advanced
Genders You Prefer Playing
Female, Primarily Prefer Female
Playing Style- Passive or Aggressive
Instinctively passive unless the story needs a push. I adapt as needed.
Favorite Genres
SciFi, Fantasy, Modern, Twist Genres.
Genre You DON'T Like
Mature, Horror (with rare exceptions)
Christopher Paolini ~ or Sarah Dessan <3

EDIT:

Well Shakespeare for YA Literature

Asmodeus

Gazorpazorpdeus
Posting Speed
Speed of Light
In terms of leaving a lasting legacy, reaching out to all parts of society and producing iconic stories that are re-interpreted and spun-off through the ages, the closest might be someone like Spielberg or Lucas. These are stories that endure cultural shifts and even direct cultural shifts.

But still, I doubt anyone's really a match for Shakespeare. None of today's so-called 'great' artists have had to operate in a time of massive social change. So it's hard to leave such a mark as Shakespeare did.

S

Seiji

Original poster
As irritating and as painful it is for me to admit this, Asmo has called it spot on.

Spielberg and... *sigh* ... LUCAS.

W

Warmaster Death

Original poster
In terms of leaving a lasting legacy, reaching out to all parts of society and producing iconic stories that are re-interpreted and spun-off through the ages, the closest might be someone like Spielberg or Lucas. These are stories that endure cultural shifts and even direct cultural shifts.

But still, I doubt anyone's really a match for Shakespeare. None of today's so-called 'great' artists have had to operate in a time of massive social change. So it's hard to leave such a mark as Shakespeare did.
QFT.

Torsty

Super Peace Busters Always Together, Forever!
So who would you say is a modernday Shakespeare? Be they a book author, or movie writer or anything in between. They don't even need to be English! Just tell us who you think is an inventive storyteller.

Say what? Say what?

I look at it like this:
We won't be able to have a respected comparison until we're(the people of our time) all long time dead and gone. Let "us" wait 150-200 years :P