Who else will join the riot if....

Do you think it's a good idea to remake The Princess Bride?

• Hell yeah!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Absolutely not!

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • What's The Princess Bride?

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

ᴛᴏᴄᴋᴀ

Melancholia Personified
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. Speed of Light
  2. Multiple posts per day
  3. 1-3 posts per day
  4. One post per day
  5. Multiple posts per week
  6. 1-3 posts per week
  7. One post per week
  8. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Whenever my boss decides to let me go home. (Usually between 5-11 EST)
Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Prestige
  3. Douche
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Modern, Futuristic, Paranormal, Fantasy, Medieval, Romance, Horror, pretty much everything.

The idea of redoing The Princess Bride is utterly depressing, at least for me and most of the people I know who love the movie. The movie is a classic and shouldn't be messed with. Plus, who could replace Andre the Giant?!

What do you all think? For it? Against it? Have no idea what movie I'm talking about?

WTF!!! HELL NO! That is a CLASSIC!!!! NO REMAKES! Geez, our movie industry stucks. No creative ideas AT ALL. Just redo this, remake that. Jiminy crickets...

NO ONE literally NO ONE can replace the original cast. NO ONE.

giphy.gif

I don't know why stuff like this surprises me anymore. Current Hollywood is determined to remake and rehash anything they can get their grubby little hands on. Even The Princess Bride, which I've always thought was one of the untouchable cult classics. I guess I'm just old-fashioned...if it ain't broke, don't fix it, ya know?

Funnily enough, Netflix seems to be taking the lead when it comes to original content. Not sure how I feel about that haha

If it does get made I think it will go the way of remakes like Ghostbusters, Total Recall, Robocop, etc. ie. Media train, release, then after a few months forgotten, clearly overshadowed by their originals, such that whenever "The Princess Bride" is mentioned, it's for the already perfect film. I agree with the general opinion that there is absolutely no point in remaking The Princess Bride, or remakes in general, other than as a soulless cash grab.

If it does get made I think it will go the way of remakes like Ghostbusters, Total Recall, Robocop, etc. ie. Media train, release, then after a few months forgotten, clearly overshadowed by their originals, such that whenever "The Princess Bride" is mentioned, it's for the already perfect film. I agree with the general opinion that there is absolutely no point in remaking The Princess Bride, or remakes in general, other than as a soulless cash grab.

I wouldn't say remakes in general. The It remake was amazing compared to the original. I think it all depends on the story and how it was told the first time. With most remakes, the original version got it right the first time. There would be nothing added to The Princess Bride if they remade it.

I'mma slide in here with the opposite opinion. 8D

I don't mind remakes at all! Even if it's a remake of a beloved classic. It's not like a bad remake could ruin the awesomeness of the original. O: If we're lucky the remake could even add something amazing and new, and top us off with new fans too. There's plenty of times where cool classic movies were remade or reinvented and the new version was amazing. (MAD MAX YAAASS)

It's also not like every book, show, movie, or otherwise isn't also just a redone of ancient stories. Revisioning, both good and bad helps us evolve and make better things.

That said, I do think Hollywood goes overboard with remaking stuff and is stuck in an awful time loop. D:< There hasn't been any really great stand out original content the past few years and it sucks, cause there's toooooons of stories out there they could turn into movies instead of rehashing already awesome ones. Why can't they go back and remake shitty ones first. >_> Go remake Twilight!

Reactions: ᴛᴏᴄᴋᴀ
No, that's illegal. Inconceivable. No rioting from me, just disappointedly staring at all the news sites that share the release date.

:cookie:

• Haha
Reactions: Kuno
I don't mind remakes usually, but this is one of those times I can't even envision other people playing the roles. I mean who else could be the grandpa but Peter Falk? But...I'd still probably watch it just to sit there the whole time and be disgusted and make totally unfair comparisons.

But I completely agree about remaking some of the more horrible disasters, but not Twilight...ugh...once was enough for that.

The remake of Princess Bride was also a serious discussion on my facebook page... I so voted nope! They'd never get the good cast of characters they had back in the day, and I can't imagine them NOT messing everything else up... :/ R.I.P. Princess Bride! . .. Here's an idea hollywood- go snort more drugs or something til you have something original for once.. XDD J/k...

Ok, after reading everyone's comments, I'd like to amend my statement.

Remakes should only be allowed for GARBAGE movies. And when I say garbage movies, I mean ones that were adapted from amazing novels and turned out to be trash on the big screen. Eragon needs justice, dammit!

I am not a fan of a Princess Bride remake, but seeing as it is a movie from the 80s, they can certainly REMASTER it if they really want too. I think some updated graphics would be nice, but keeping the original cast and story. In this way, it is "remade" but also doesn't insult the classic movie. They did this with Titanic ( they 3ded it and it was pretty to watch.) and it will be a great way to get people to watch it and introduce it to a new generation.

Remake movies if they are bad, otherwise remaster them ( I am pretty sure it is cheaper to do thay as well).

Eragon needs justice, dammit!
You and my husband have the same opinion on that.

I am not a fan of a Princess Bride remake, but seeing as it is a movie from the 80s, they can certainly REMASTER it if they really want too. I think some updated graphics would be nice, but keeping the original cast and story. In this way, it is "remade" but also doesn't insult the classic movie.

Remastering is definitely the way to go, but I don't think they will. It's like Hollywood has to go out of its way to ruin everything that is good and pure in the world. (Totally being a bit dramatic there.)

Okay, so most people seem to be against the idea. However....

How are there people who don't know about The Princess Bride?!? ; ;

Oh wow, I only recently saw the movie, so it doesn’t hold a lot of sentimental value for me. I did really enjoy watching it.

The announcement for a remake makes me curious, though. Mostly in regards to the humour used in the classic. Will they adopt that or use a different style more fit to the present time?

As for remakes in overall. Yeah, Hollywood does seem to be making it a habit to remake classics and ruin them. Though, we can always hope, hahahahahahahahahaha....

The idea of redoing The Princess Bride is utterly depressing, at least for me and most of the people I know who love the movie. The movie is a classic and shouldn't be messed with. Plus, who could replace Andre the Giant?!

What do you all think? For it? Against it? Have no idea what movie I'm talking about?

No one...