Who else was an AOL Chatroom Roleplayer?

Quetzal

Edgepeasant
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. Multiple posts per day
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
I remember those days fondly. With simple descriptions like "Forest and pond RP". And people would just pop in and try to engage each other in RP with mixed results. There were times were it was bad with god modders and just tactless people. And other times where you got some unique interaction with random strangers. It's a shame that AOL had to ruin a good thing by being greedy and using shady practices.

I Roleplayed on AIM, though I probably spent more time on YIM.

To be honest, I don't remember much about it, other than the "elitists" who seemed to think that quantity was greater than quality of the post. I guess I can't blame them, I totally believed the same thing at the time.
I later moved on to MSN IM/chat rooms.

Never on AOL, but I did do similar chat-style roleplaying. Powerplaying, overpowered characters, spamming, people trying to engage one another with no success, people posting and essentially roleplaying by themselves because no one would join...

It was great.

@Dipper I see you too were on Bravenet? XD

See here, I was a weirdo and started out roleplaying on a Runescape fansite forum instead.

Yahoo! chats.

I started on AOL but quickly moved over to Yahoo chats.

Did a little bit on Bravenet on the side, but I stuck with Yahoo all the way until they shut the chats down, then even continued to run RP through YIM for a while after that.

I tried Yahoo chats after we finally got rid of AOL. It wasn't a good experience. But perhaps the fact people had to have AOL to use the chatrooms made it a bit more exclusive. But Yahoo chats always felt like a den of scum and villainy. Like walking through a bad neighborhood.

I tried Yahoo chats after we finally got rid of AOL. It wasn't a good experience. But perhaps the fact people had to have AOL to use the chatrooms made it a bit more exclusive. But Yahoo chats always felt like a den of scum and villainy. Like walking through a bad neighborhood.
B a s i c a l l y.

It was a minefield that I shouldn't have been running around. I never got into any trouble, but damn, that was a sketchy place to start RPing. XD That and the Fanfiction.net forums were my intro to online roleplaying back around '99-'00.

B a s i c a l l y.

It was a minefield that I shouldn't have been running around. I never got into any trouble, but damn, that was a sketchy place to start RPing. XD That and the Fanfiction.net forums were my intro to online roleplaying back around '99-'00.

I ended up gravitated toward Gaia Online. It was a bit of crapshoot for a while. But I met my RP partner for the next like 8 years. Which in retrospect I should have tried to reach out to more than one partner. Because when my partner got married and subsequently became too busy. It was like waking up from a dream. I was used to RPing on AIM. Nobody was using AIM anymore and even recently it was shut down. Course now I just do all my RPing on Iwaku.

I ended up gravitated toward Gaia Online. It was a bit of crapshoot for a while. But I met my RP partner for the next like 8 years. Which in retrospect I should have tried to reach out to more than one partner. Because when my partner got married and subsequently became too busy. It was like waking up from a dream. I was used to RPing on AIM. Nobody was using AIM anymore and even recently it was shut down. Course now I just do all my RPing on Iwaku.
I ended up on Gaia too. Was one of the people who actually joined late '03 or early '04. I also was briefly on Neopets around the same time before they got crazy strict, and then bopped around various forums for years on and off. (Also did some RP on AIM and MSN.)

Joined Iwaku in 2011 and it's been my main RP site ever since.

I ended up on Gaia too. Was one of the people who actually joined late '03 or early '04. I also was briefly on Neopets around the same time before they got crazy strict, and then bopped around various forums for years on and off. (Also did some RP on AIM and MSN.)

Joined Iwaku in 2011 and it's been my main RP site ever since.
Almost exactly the same. Just I did Neopets first then Gaia. I didn't like Gaia too much. I did some AIM RPing but not too much because I couldn't really get into it like a forum. Did try other forums but couldn't get the hang of them or not enough people on them to find a good partner. And then there are also the Elitist I've found that don't like to help newbies.

Been on iwaku since 2014 and haven't stopped writing since.

When I first started roleplaying back in 2008-2009, it was first on Deviantart before roleplaying on MSN/Yahoo Messenger. That was very fun. Looking back on these memories, I found it to be even more cringy since I was young. I believe I was 16 or 17. I am now 26 years of age, and I tend to look back at the past roleplaying memories, with some good ones and some bad ones as well. A little drama, fun, comedy, and even a little ache in your heart as well. I remember those very well. Those were some good times. The first thing I ever role played was Bleach, which was my favorite anime since I was a teenager.

That reminds me.. I once did a little script format Bleach roleplay on Yahoo when I was about 16, before I moved onto DeviantART to look for some more Bleach roleplays, to fulfill my cravings. This was back in 2008. Then in 2009 around my senior year I met a few friends and did Bleach Roleplay with them. That was when I learned how to do paragraph roleplays. Goodness, I miss those days. Nowadays, I'm more into paragraph roleplays. I found it more fun than script. So from that day forward, I have begun to do paragraph roleplays. Even some novella ones even though I'm not that great at them.

Now looking at how I roleplay today, I am now adaptable, and have a tendency of pleasing my roleplay partners regarding the length of the roleplay replies. But yeah, I do remember roleplaying on Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger. Those were such great times. And that is definitely the end of my roleplay reminiscing.