Who do YOU side with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
American politics = Canadian entertainment.

Alright, I'm kidding. But it was something my family was watching while eating supper. I ate quickly and washed dishes instead. It's hard to watch adults acting like children do in kindergarten. Of course, that's just for myself. I know it's of concern for those living in America. Good luck to y'all...
Hide me.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Shiri
Or, y'know, we could all vote for some freedom.
ZceudWQ.jpg

Or, y'know, we could all vote for some freedom.
ZceudWQ.jpg
Yep, throwing away your vote on a third party candidate that has effectively no chance of winning is a viable option.

I don't mean that in a sarcastic way either, by the way. I'm considering doing something similar, but writing in some nonsense to amuse myself rather than voting for some other person. My county and state are almost guaranteed to go for Hillary, so my vote on the presidential race is basically meaningless and can be safely tossed in the dumpster in a totally useless and minor form of protest. :D

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Hatsune Candy
Yep, throwing away your vote on a third party candidate that has effectively no chance of winning is a viable option.

I don't mean that in a sarcastic way either, by the way. I'm considering doing something similar, but writing in some nonsense to amuse myself rather than voting for some other person. My county and state are almost guaranteed to go for Hillary, so my vote on the presidential race is basically meaningless and can be safely tossed in the dumpster in a totally useless and minor form of protest. :D
Ross Perot had a decent chance of becoming president, had he not dropped out and reentered the race far too late.
From what I can tell, the ones throwing away their votes are the ones voting for Clinton or Trump.

I don't have the luxury of voting 3rd party. My state is still undecided, and there's no way in the world I could live with myself if I didn't vote the only option I have to keep Trump out of office. Third party votes aren't going to amount to anything in this race, at least that's how it feels.

I don't have the luxury of voting 3rd party. My state is still undecided, and there's no way in the world I could live with myself if I didn't vote the only option I have to keep Trump out of office. Third party votes aren't going to amount to anything in this race, at least that's how it feels.
Voting for the lesser evil for decades is what got us into this mess in the first place.

I've made my stance clear both in the Iwaku discord channel and real life: third parties need to prove their viability in local and legislative elections before bidding for the presidency. All Jill Stein or Gary 'needs a map of the middle east badly' Johnson can accomplish is being the Ralph Nader to the Bush that Trump is shaping up to be. To those who weren't old enough to remember or weren't here, Nader was a third party candidate so popular he split the vote between Al Gore and George Bush. Bush won, and plunged America into two costly Middle Eastern wars under false pretenses, among other things. Like Nader, Scott/Johnson will be little more than a thing that disgruntled young people waste their votes on, while the pumpkin-man dismantles LGBT protections and whatever economic decisions kept the country running. To that end, I'm team Clinton. In an ideal world I'd get to see Bernie take it, but this isn't an ideal world. This is a world where bad things happen to good people and bad people are met with success, and they may be our only buffer against worse people.

Do I have objections to some of Clinton's policies? Yes. Agreeing with a candidate 100% is a near-impossibility. But as it stands, I'd rather not have to choose between staying in the closet and being able to eat. And, I'd also rather the man with 4 cars gets ripped off, rather than the family of four living out of a car. Trickle down doesn't work, so sticking it to someone who champions it like a cure-all when it's really poison is also entertaining.

I've made my stance clear both in the Iwaku discord channel and real life: third parties need to prove their viability in local and legislative elections before bidding for the presidency. All Jill Stein or Gary 'needs a map of the middle east badly' Johnson can accomplish is being the Ralph Nader to the Bush that Trump is shaping up to be. To those who weren't old enough to remember or weren't here, Nader was a third party candidate so popular he split the vote between Al Gore and George Bush. Bush won, and plunged America into two costly Middle Eastern wars under false pretenses, among other things. Like Nader, Scott/Johnson will be little more than a thing that disgruntled young people waste their votes on, while the pumpkin-man dismantles LGBT protections and whatever economic decisions kept the country running. To that end, I'm team Clinton. In an ideal world I'd get to see Bernie take it, but this isn't an ideal world. This is a world where bad things happen to good people and bad people are met with success, and they may be our only buffer against worse people.

Do I have objections to some of Clinton's policies? Yes. Agreeing with a candidate 100% is a near-impossibility. But as it stands, I'd rather not have to choose between staying in the closet and being able to eat. And, I'd also rather the man with 4 cars gets ripped off, rather than the family of four living out of a car. Trickle down doesn't work, so sticking it to someone who champions it like a cure-all when it's really poison is also entertaining.
Bush won through the electoral college. The voters did not decide the outcome of 2000.

Bush won through the electoral college. The voters did not decide the outcome of 2000.
I am so glad you're too young to throw our futures away, and that you still have time to not zero in on single sentences. The United States Electoral College is the institution that elects the President and Vice President of theUnited States every four years. Citizens of the United States do not directly elect the president or the vice president; instead they elect representatives called "electors", who usually pledge to vote for particular presidential and vice presidential candidates.[1][2][3]You're only half-right by saying that we didn't directly put that bumbling idiot who ruined our surplus on battles with third-world gangsters in office. Google is your friend.

I am so glad you're too young to throw our futures away, and that you still have time to not zero in on single sentences. The United States Electoral College is the institution that elects the President and Vice President of theUnited States every four years. Citizens of the United States do not directly elect the president or the vice president; instead they elect representatives called "electors", who usually pledge to vote for particular presidential and vice presidential candidates.[1][2][3]You're only half-right by saying that we didn't directly put that bumbling idiot who ruined our surplus on battles with third-world gangsters in office. Google is your friend.
In what way would I throw our futures away? If you hadn't noticed, many of the electors can go against their constituents and vote as they please. For the sake of argument, there's no need to be so condescending.

Reactions: Katori and Greenie
2603488275.jpg

Hillary Clinton: 70%.

I feel like I should start reevaluating my life choices... Should I be concerned? I feel like I should be. :/

That said, I'm likely either going to vote the Jill or (more likely) Garry since thy are at least a bit more sane than the alternatives.

I side with the one that isn't a flaming mess of everything. And I have to admit, Cthulhu's looking more and more tempting as a political candidate...

• Useful
Reactions: Greenie
Politics are one of those things that gets people super passionate. I actually think that that passion and fire is a good thing (usually - I'm talking about normal people, not neo Nazis, obviously) , especially when people actively take a role in shaping their world.

That said, good debate over politics and many other such things is not done through condescension, insults, and the like. You can have political conversations without being rude to one another! So keep that in mind and play nicely.

I for one would love to see a longer "discussion" debate over things that are important but have gotten less coverage, like climate change policies going forward, etc. Nice, long, calm, boring talks about key issues.

Nice, long, calm, boring talks about key issues.
EeFw9Vm.jpg

In all seriousness I'd like this too, but I doubt we're going to get this from Herpidy Cunton and Derp Troll.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Greenie and Kitti
That's one of the reasons I pretty much dislike these sort of debates. Making yourself look better by throwing dirt at the other person is a pathetic way to gain standing.

I side with the one that isn't a flaming mess of everything. And I have to admit, Cthulhu's looking more and more tempting as a political candidate...
giant-meteor-2016-bumper-sticker-4.jpg

That's where my vote's going, although if I write that in it could be translated as a vote for Trump. Clinton I equate to a severe Ebola outbreak. We're doomed, but at least there will be time to find a cure and possibly reverse the damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.