Who Are You Really??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Madam Ovoir waited until everyone was gone before she looked at the woman. "Do you have an example of a book that you would think is a non-controversial book with you that I might deem as so controversial as to not warrent reading in polite society?" she asked.

Ashela was instantly on the defense, clutching her bag unconsciously tighter to her. "I have many, if you think that The Prince and The Adventure of Huckleberry Finn are controversial," she answered.

"Do you have one on you? I would like to see what you deem 'appropriate'."

Ashela very slowly pulled out her book, clutching it to her chest for a moment before showing the teacher. Madam Ovoir's next actions left the woman in shock. She looked at the book, spine, pages and then finally the summary. Twin roses appeared on her cheeks as she read the summary of the book, looking as if she were going to have a heart attack right there and then. "Most controversial," she sniffed before turning to pierce Ashela with her gaze. Holding Ashela's gaze she opened to a page of the book and a large 'ripe' sound came as she took hold of the page and ripped the page out. Ashela took a step forward with a cry for the woman to stop. The page fell to the floor as Madam Ovoir continued to repeat the process until she had torn out more than half the pages of the book before she dropped it on top of the pile of ruined pages. "Clean up this mess and then you may go to your next class Miss Trenton. And I expect you to get some approrpatie books that don't deal with this kind of trash before you challenge me on what is and is not controversial." With that Madam Ovoir walked out of the classroom, nose so high in the air she didn't even notice Kalen.

Only fear of being kicked from the class had kept Ashela from yanking her precious book back from the woman and repeatedly beating her with it. Pride had kept her from letting the tears at the destruction fall until after the heartless woman had left. Ashela remained standing, staring blankly ahead of her until she could no longer hear the clip clop of heels that the woman had follow her. Finally she lowered to her knees and began to pick up piece after destroyed piece of her book. As she did the few tears she allowed herself to cry over the destruction came silently, back to the doorway, head bowed.

Kalen remained idle by the doorway as Madam Ovoir proceeded to having her talk with Ashela. When she requested to see a book that Ashela considered appropriate, a mild pause occurred before he heard a, "Most controversial," statement from the teacher. "Oh come now, you're seriously the only teacher that cares about what their students are reading." he muttered to himself. If he was a teacher, he'd just be glad that his students were actually taking the time out of their busy schedules to read at their own free will. However, it was apparent that many drilled beliefs could not be altered. He merely closed his eyes and shook his head, but his eyelids were swift to reopen upon perceiving the distinct ripping sounds coming from the classroom. He immediately reentered the room only to find Madam Ovoir tearing the remainder of the pages from the book's spine as Ashela cried out for her to stop. It seemed to happen as quickly as the malicious action came forth, and after the cruel woman demanded her to clean up prior to leaving, she left with her nose high in the air.

Kalen was obviously shocked at what had just happened. Was her book so detestable that it needed to be obliterated by the witch herself? As Ashela mentioned, the book was one of her prized possessions and so to have it ripped up like this was appalling beyond words. "What kind of cruel teacher would..." He trailed off there, and whether or not she was still in vicinity to hear, he turned to the departing lady. "I hope you're happy with your immature and thoughtless actions, destroying other people's belongings and being the...the witch that you are! Some teacher you are!" he finished, glaring until he was no longer able to hear her heels making contact with the hard floors. Not very good with the insults or comebacks, really...but it was worth a try. Most things did not anger him with his 'guardians' aside, but he was still fuming at this. Stating that Madam Ovoir's actions were completely out of line would be an understatement. He did not turn back, however, as he walked up to the destruction that Ashela was now faced with. Hesitantly, he turned to her, spotting the few tears that began to stream down her features. Frowning deeply, he looked away. He wished he was a tad better at this. If only he knew what to say or do in order to comfort her somewhat.

Then again, he highly doubted that anything would cheer her up right now. "I'm really sorry..." he stated softly. He wanted to hold her in attempts to comfort her, but he was aware that that would seem a little...peculiar in his current disguise. "She had no right to do that to your book." Okay. Now he was just stating the obvious. He knew that it was time to shut up already, so he did. After all, he already spoke a tad out of line towards the teacher. Although he didn't know if she even heard him or not, he could possibly get into trouble if she did overhear. Though, he didn't think Ashela was listening. Who would be listening to anyone after having one of their most favored possessions intentionally ruined? Still, couldn't something like this be reported at least? Would anything even be done? He wasn't so sure, but he longed that disciplinary actions would be taken against the heartless teacher. Lips were also formed in a frown as Kalen reached down to assist Ashela with picking up the remainder of the pieces.

Ashela was quiet, withdrawing into herself with every piece of book that was taken up into trembling hands. Only when her hand brushed against Kalen's as they went to pick up close pages did she finally looked up at the other. Her bottom lip trembled a little before she looked away and slowly clutched what she had picked up to her chest. It took several moments before she realized that the tears were coming quicker now.Reaching up she quickly swiped at her cheeks and quickly picked up the rest of the pages, clutching them in trembling hands. "Y-Thank you Kalen, but you should probably head off if you don't want to be late for--for your next class," she stammered as she slowly reached out for the pages that Kalen had gathered before she stopped and looked down. Could this day get any worse?

An expression of concern was rendered difficult to erase from the lad's face as he fell silent to assist with picking up the pieces. The tips of his strands of hair gently swept against the floor while kneeling down. She looked so distraught as her tears began to flow at a quicker rate. How could one not be concerned for her? He suddenly blinked, feeling that their hands had made contact with one another. He looked down into her sad features, gray irises locking onto her when she thanked him and mentioned that he should probably leave for his next class or else he'd be late. Shaking his head, he handed her the pages he had gathered up after she reached out for them. "Oh, class shmlass. How can I leave a friend like this?" he replied to her, gently placing a hand atop her shoulder. Whether he was late for his next course or not didn't matter right now. Honestly, he just didn't want to leave her alone in her current condition. He wanted to ensure that she was alright first, which she apparently was not. If she wanted to be alone, though, he would respect her wishes.

The young woman stared at Kalen for a goof minute before she couldn't resist the urge any long. Bottom lip trembling, she launched herself forward to hide her face in Kalen's shirt, one hand grabbing his shirt, the other clutching the pages to her chest as she sobbed over the way her book had been treated, how disrespectful the teacher was, and how she'd "wring the woman's sorry neck" the next time she dare touch a book of hers. It took the young woman a good fifteen minutes to calm herself down, and even then there was something in her eyes when she pulled away that she wouldn't stand through another attack of any kind. Even a small push might send her into the gut wrenching sobs she'd been in just a few moments before.

She reached up and rubbed furiously at her eyes with the back of her hand, not even able to laugh it off as being a silly cry of a young child like she might have done before at any other time. "I'm sorry," she found herself whispering.

At first instance, when she had lunged herself into Kalen, he was indeed taken aback by her actions. It wasn't necessarily unexpected after what happened, but with the way she had formerly hid some of her feelings, he thought she would have attempted the same in the current situation. Despite that he wasn't exactly adept or experienced with comforting , he preferred she release her emotions rather than trying to conceal and keep them buried within. Gradually, the young man found himself wrapping his arms around Ashela as she kept her face hidden in his blouse. He remained silent for the entire interval, though each time he felt the power behind her sobs, he could feel a pang coursing through his own heart. He wished he could do something more for her, than just merely comforting while assuming that he was failing at it anyway.

After fifteen minutes of crying, she pulled away but still looked as if she wasn't quite finished. It seemed that shedding tears did not assist with making her feel any better either. He shook his head when he perceived her apology. "Don't be. It's alright." he reassured just before recalling that they were still in the classroom. "Um, maybe we should leave now. Do you want me to walk you back to the room?" he asked, glancing to the doorway. "And...if you want, I can cover for you with your next class and just tell the instructor that you weren't feel well enough to attend today." he offered, uncertain about whether she'd want to head to her next class in her current condition. He doubted that class sounded appealing at the moment however, and that was why he had mentioned it.

Ashela nodded slowly at the words that the other said, reaching up to keep rubbing at her eyes. She felt like a kid. As if all she could do was wipe her face over and over and hope that one of the times it would all end. "P-Please, if you don't mind," she whispered softly, blinking up at him as her eyes tried to stop watering from the rubbing she'd been doing. She probably looked horrid she realized before she looked away. Clutching her book, she pushed herself up and stumbled back a few steps from the quick rise.

"Of course I don't mind." While facing her, he extended an arm towards her. It was for the purpose of offering his slender but large hand if she wanted to hold it so he could merely guide her back to the dorm. Though, that probably wasn't a good idea. Depending on how aware she was currently, it'd be fairly easy to realize that the size of his hands could very well belong to a male. Then again, some would most likely dismiss the idea and say that 'she' just possessed larger than average hands. With the horrible event that previously happened to her, Kalen simply didn't think she would pay any mind to size if she'd chosen to take it. Even so, he obviously didn't go by the belief, 'Better safe than sorry'. He eventually moved on to walking back, keeping a steady and relatively normal pace. He kept quiet however; he didn't know what to say to her for the time being.
He thought he could have at least said something comforting, but his mind was blank during the walk back to the room. Darn his inconvenient brain. Kalen unlocked and opened the door for Ashela to enter, but he apparently didn't leave right away. He genuinely didn't want to leave her alone like so, but he knew that he would eventually have to go to class.

The young woman took his hand gratefully, ignoring the size and simply taking it on a comforting level. The feeling and knowledge that the other was willing to help her after everything that she'd heard and seen about Ashela was comforting. She was grateful though that he didn't try to say anything to help her. She knew a lot of girls that would have tried to comfort her by saying that they'd get her a new book, that the world wasn't going to endwhen a book was torn asunder.

When they actually arrived at their room, she shifted into it and moved almost zombie like to her desk. tenderly, as if holding a small child, she lowered the pages to the desk. Jaw tightening at the sight, she refused to cry again. That woman would get what she deserved, she was sure about that. But for now, she'd wait, wait and gather information and then take the woman to the school counsel. She wouldn't stand this. She wouldn't stand the destruction of wonderful, innocent books by some old, pomp-ass witch! The rage that followed her sadness swept in and overrode the normally quiet girl's mind. She turned and slammed her fist into a wall as she let out a pain drenched, rage filled cry. 'Hell hath no furry like a bookworm that has seen her favorite book destroyed' came to mind as she pulled her fist back to her chest, cradling the already bruising skin and bones. She slumped there to the ground and just sat, green eyes showing the battle between anger, pain, and despair that warred within her.

Kalen stepped in slightly after Ashela, leaving the door as it was in its half-open state. He was too distracted with watching the style of her walking as she made her way over to the desk. Her stride appeared almost lifeless and that merely concerned him even further. Silvery optics lowered to the sight of the torn pages of her former book. If only it were possible to regenerate a book that'd been completely obliterated with the exception of a couple of pages, teachers like that woman wouldn't be able to ruin books for the peculiar fun and satisfaction of it. It was a difficult decision to make. He wanted to give her some sort of space and alone time, but simultaneously he didn't want to leave her in her current state. Which was the correct choice to select? Either way, he was rattled out of his thoughts by the sudden sound of bones clashing with the wall, which was accompanied by a pain-filled cry integrated with rage. He blinked rapidly, realizing that she'd just slammed her fist into the wall.
Dilating his eyes, he ran over and spoke without thinking. "H-Hey, don't break your hand while you're at it!" he said with a tone of faint surprise, subconsciously taking her bruised fist to ensure that she wasn't too injured. He noted the fresh bruises and stood back up. Potential injuries might've been the last component on Ashela's mind in her state of mind, but it wasn't for him. Swiftly, he moved to the mini fridge that came along with the room and retrieved a gel ice pack from inside of it. He had unpacked the gel packs from his suitcase the other day and figured the mini refrigerator would be the most ideal storing option for them. Gently, Kalen placed the petite ice pack onto the hand she was cradling. "This should prevent any further possible damage." he murmured, still softly holding her hand and absent-mindedly examining it. It was an instinct to treat wounds as soon as possible or whenever possible, as his training had instilled within him. He probably wasn't completely aware of what he was doing just yet.

The young woman didn't even flinch when he took her hand and inspected it. "I ca-can't help it," she whispered back before he was gone and then back with an ice pack. She hissed a bit at the feeling of the coldness on her skin, but she didn't fight it. How many scrapes and scraps did she get into as a kid? Far more than was 'proper' for a young woman. "It is better to take your anger out someway rather than just cry. Crying doesn't do anything for you. You just-just sit there and whimper and weep and I know that that's what most girls would do bu-but."

She fell quiet after a while and shook her head, looking up at Kalen as he kept paying attention to her hand. She found herself not minding and didn't bring it up. Even though she probably should have questioned why she was so knowledgeable about taking care of the wound, she just put it off to the fact that he could have easily been like her and just been a troublesome young child with enough experience with it.

The disguised lad was quiet as he listened to her explain of how crying didn't do anything for you and that she needed to find some other way to get her anger out. "I understand what you mean. I used to break things and put holes in my room's walls from either kicking or punching them out of frustration when I was younger...and in return I would get holes punched into me as punishment..." he said, muttering out that last part flatly as he trailed off. Noticing that he had fallen off course, he ended that particular subject. "B-But even so, I don't want you to hurt yourself." Another component he had finally become aware of was that he had allowed his instincts of treating wounds to overrule him. When Kalen glanced down at the hand he held gingerly, he carefully but quickly removed his hand from her own. "Ah, sorry. Sometimes I just do this without realizing." he added as he rubbed the back of his head and smiled weakly, referring to the way he just began treating the bruised skin on her hand.
"I guess I should probably go to class now, and I'll remember to let the professor know that you'll be out." He nodded and retrieved his bag as he spoke, heading for the door. He thought that perhaps now would be a good time to give her some personal space. After all, he didn't want to 'suffocate' her, so to speak.

Ashela watched the other 'woman' leave and smiled. "Thank you," she managed to say before she fell quiet and turned away to go curl up in the window seat, staring outside as she plotted quietly the doom of a teacher that she would never grow to like no matter what she did to try and get her to like her. Eventually she returned to the book and looked it over. A scowl formed on her mouth and she sat down at her desk, pulling out a kit that she had hidden in it and sighed. Gathering the pages that had been ripped out she began to put them in order, fingers tender and light against the pages. "I'm sorry that such a thing happened to you," she whispered before she took tape and began to tape the pages back into the book. It was only when the book was done that she sat back and looked at the book that looked horrid. Sighing she picked it up and held it to her chest. She would never understand people that hurt books.

Perceiving Ashela's 'thank you', Kalen looked back and caught sight of her smile. In reaction, a pleasant smile surfaced on his own face. "Anytime." he stated contently prior to leaving and closing the door behind him. He headed in the direction of the next course, thinking that he was going to have to get used to this sooner or later. It had been awhile since he'd actually attended an academic institution on a regular basis, so he would need to get back into the flow of things. He was usually placed on a schedule that revolved around his job, but that was a bit different from this. It didn't take very long to reach the classroom though. He was in the final group of students emerging for class. However, before deciding on a seat, he greeted the teacher and proceeded to briefly explain that Ashela would be absent for today. Of course, he didn't reveal the actual details and merely said that she wasn't feeling well.
After the rather young-looking teacher thanked Kalen for informing her of the situation, he stole a seat near to the back of the classroom and brought out his school materials. It was an English course, which he did honestly prefer over math. It wasn't that he disliked math--he occasionally enjoyed taking on calculus problems--, but it simply didn't blend well with his brain in the morning or early afternoon. His brain power just didn't peak as high as it could during these particular times.

Ashela proceeded to remain locked away in her room most of the day until Lunch time came around. Then, because she couldn't stand being in the same building as anyone just yet but could not stand sitting in her room any longer either, she escaped into her outdoor clothes and slipped from the room via the window. In the end she just walked for the rest of the day, hatching plans that were never going to work in the end run.

As she was rounding a corner, she hesitated and listened to the women that stood there--one of them being the woman that had shredded her book. They were laughing about the incident!

"Can you believe a woman of our school reading such trash? Well I taught her straight. She won't ever be a problem from now on," Mistress Ovori was telling the others who gave a nod and grinned in response.

Ashela's rage from earlier threatened to overtake her against she stood there listening to the women. Instead she took a deep breath, turned and ran back to their room, hopping in and slamming shut the window

Today was supposedly an easy day in terms of classes. This was mainly because, once Lunch time hit, he was done with attending classes for the day. He'd need to look at tomorrow's schedule to see if it'd be just as convenient. "Already done? That wasn't too bad." he murmured to himself as he headed to the room. Of course he'd already eaten lunch and decided that a quick shower and a change of clothes were in order. He wanted to slip into something more comfortable before diving in reviewing his notes. Surprise temporarily washed over him as he realized he was actually considering studying even though he wasn't an actual student here. It'd be best to keep attention away from him by keeping his grades at least average, however. Upon reaching the room, he glanced around for Ashela but she was nowhere to be found. Perhaps she had left for Lunch time?
If so, that might have been a good sign--a sign that she was recovering from what happened earlier. Concern washed over the young man, as he wasn't completely certain of Ashela's whereabouts. The feeling had lingered throughout the day, but he'd been trying to push it aside. He did take note of the slightly open window and thought that maybe she had exited through it like before. Kalen slipped into the bathroom with his change of clothes, stripped, and hopped into the shower. The warm water felt quite soothing against his bare skin. He allowed his long silver lockes to wetten under the running water as well. In the bathroom he didn't have to be concealed in some sort of disguise, nor did he have to put up a front to go with his act. Then again, the only act he'd been devoting himself to was pretending to be a woman. Everything else, though, was not an act.
His personality and his feelings of care towards Ashela as a friend and roommate were all real. His bosses would have scolded him for being so genuine but he couldn't always help how he was. His mother had taught him all too well, much to their dismay.

The young woman looked around and noticed the sound of the shower and looked around to also notice the other's bag where it sat. Ashela sighed heavily and sat on her bed, pulling her knees up to her chest and resting her chin on them as she waited for the other to get out of the shower. She blinked and then got up to go knock on the door. "Kalin, I just wanted to let you know that I'm back. Thank you for what you did today," she called and then turned away, going to her desk. She didn't bother to get out of her outdoors clothes this time and began to scribble away within the notebook that she flipped open. They were not as revealing as their shower incident the day before, but they weren't the fully covering, 'proper' woman outfit that the school required for their female population.

The shower continued to run moments after Ashela had reentered the room through the window. Of course, he did not hear her slip in over the running water, but he did make out her voice and what she said over the noise. Smiling faintly, he turned off the shower and stepped out of the tub with a towel in his hand. "You're welcome. I'm glad I was able to help you out Ashela." he replied to her from within the bathroom, throwing on his comfy attire afterwards. It consisted of a pair of simple black sweatpants and a long-sleeved grey T-shirt. Both pieces of clothing were on the loose side so as to conceal the majority of his body shape. Camouflage, if you will. He was out of the bathroom rather swiftly, the former clothes he'd worn today in his arms. He noticed that she had changed herself, currently in her outdoor clothes. It was refreshing to see her in more casual clothes. Putting his blouse and long skirt away, he looked towards her again as she scribbled away in a notebook.
"Oh, right. We had a bit of a lecture on the first lesson in the class you missed. I took notes though, so feel free to use them whenever you want." he said, placing his notebook down in clear view. "So did you enjoy your stroll outside? The weather looks nice." he asked, glancing out the window. Of course, he didn't know that she ran into the evil teacher(s) during her walk outside. It recently occurred to him that he hadn't be outside today just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.