Whispers from the Mountain: A Fantasy Adventure with Lovecraftian Elements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great! If we can make sure Leo's still interested, we can definitely get some ground work done with the people who have shown interest, I'd say 4 players and 2 GM characters is a great number to start with. :) As always, let me or Soul know if you have any questions or concerns!

I'll be making a character ^-^
-edit- So I don't like reading before I am interested. Now I know that this isn't actualy the ooc yet. I am HIGHLY interested and I will be pming one of the gms, cuase i really want to play a naga cx
We'd appreciate if you included both of us in any PMs concerning GMs.

If there are still plans to run this game, I would be very interested in participating. If someone could provide a rundown of the currently extant races (later player-created ones notwithstanding), that'd be a big help. From what I can tell after reading this thread and the excerpts on the map, there are no humans, correct? Fine by me, merely asking to be sure.

I think since everyone seems to like the Ling and Corvus so much, I'd volunteer to play an Austhalti or Andvalt elf to balance things out. I read that Andvalt is culturally (and aesthetically?) similar to Egypt and Sumeria, with a touch of Varangians (I assume the Gardtharoy)? If that's correct, then it would definitely appeal to me to play one as a character. Though the Austhalti look to be inspired by the Holy Roman Empire with a Knight Templar bent, so that could also be fun.

This is possibly still going, but it might have been prematurely launched. I'll have to chat with Soul and see where he's at, but we do intend to do something with this setting! Hopefully I can kick his butt into gear and we can make a game out of it.

There ARE humans, but there's only very few of them. This is partially because it seems that every fantasy setting ends up putting humans as the most powerful/ important race that solves all the problems because everything else is incapable of solving problems. Pretty lame.

Elves are the dominant race, but they are loosely inspired by several historical human cultures to give them an air of familiarity. As the guy who wrote up Andvalt, thanks! They were definitely inspired by Egypt, Sumeria, Persia, and a bit of the Byzantine Empire, which is what I originally set out to have as the main inspiration but it kind of became a beast of it's own. Whether it's because my relative knowledge of various cultures subconsciously crept in as I was coming up with ideas, I wasn't actively trying to emulate anything. Fun part about these fantasy cultures is they can be very unique while still being a bit of an homage to real-world stuff. For instance, Rohan from Lord of the Rings was heavily influenced off of Anglo-Saxon cultures.

I actually wasn't anticipating the Corvus being a popular interest to play as because they aren't a combative species at all, and magic in this game is less "Throw explosive fireballs!" than fancy, glorified lab experiments. While magic can be used offensively or defensively, it is quite rare and requires a lot of mental fortitude and training.

And the Austhalti are indeed influenced primarily off of the Holy Roman Empire.

Anyways! I'll see where we are with this, and hopefully we can actually start getting something happening with it. Thanks for your patience and interest, everybody!

Wooo People actually are active on this thread!!! I Should probably post a Character sheet soon. I also don't remember if My species was ever accepted. (I lost interwebs for awhile so there was no getting on.)

Yeah, I'm a big history buff as well, so it's always fun to see shades of real-life cultures in secondary worlds. I'm also a major, major fan of Lovecraft, Howard and Smith, the 'big three' of weird fiction, so doing something in that vein, with a sense of ancient mystery, cosmic menace and sanity-sapping paranoia is just up my alley.

I'll keep an eye out for further developments. ;)

Wooo People actually are active on this thread!!! I Should probably post a Character sheet soon. I also don't remember if My species was ever accepted. (I lost interwebs for awhile so there was no getting on.)
This I'd like to apologize for, both of us got crazy busy and had to take care of real life matters/ another game we've been running for nearly 3 years, so we haven't had a chance to return to your PM. From what we saw, things looked pretty alright!

Let's see if we can get a headcount of the people who were interested and see if there's still going to be people sticking around. I'll make this thing work if there is, I promise. :D

Yeah, I'm a big history buff as well, so it's always fun to see shades of real-life cultures in secondary worlds. I'm also a major, major fan of Lovecraft, Howard and Smith, the 'big three' of weird fiction, so doing something in that vein, with a sense of ancient mystery, cosmic menace and sanity-sapping paranoia is just up my alley.

I'll keep an eye out for further developments. ;)
Glad to see we're of like minds! I was reading a lot of Lovecraft before getting started on this and thought it would be neat to have a fantasy game with some cosmic horror elements that defy explanation. One thing I notice tends to be alienating with a lot of original RPs is if they try to be too different from what people are used to or expect, there's nothing familiar to draw off of and if you have to try to keep tomes upon tomes of new lore straight in your head, it can be a bit intimidating/ annoying. Hell, I was a part of a Star Wars RP a while back and I had to eventually back out because almost all of it was Extended Universe influenced and I had no idea what the hell most people were talking about without spending several minutes each post on a Wiki page.

Hopefully we'll have this going before too long! Thanks again!

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Eager to work on a CS. Would a magical and/or necromantic adviser to the Andvalt queen be permissible? I ask not because I want to abuse the low magic rule (which I'm in favor of), but because it would allow me to play someone of high influence at court who can get things (read: the plot) moving when needs be, but also has the freedom and means (read: moolah and status) to take off for parts unknown when it suits his purposes (these leaves of absence being to benefit the state, naturally).

Otherwise, I might also enjoy a brash young Andvaltish(?) merchant-prince out for riches and glory who stumbles into a larger political conspiracy vis-à-vis the "artifact" (Does it have a name at all? Every Eldritch Artifact of Doom needs an appropriately sinister name) falling into Austhalti hands.

Eager to work on a CS. Would a magical and/or necromantic adviser to the Andvalt queen be permissible? I ask not because I want to abuse the low magic rule (which I'm in favor of), but because it would allow me to play someone of high influence at court who can get things (read: the plot) moving when needs be, but also has the freedom and means (read: moolah and status) to take off for parts unknown when it suits his purposes (these leaves of absence being to benefit the state, naturally).

Otherwise, I might also enjoy a brash young Andvaltish(?) merchant-prince out for riches and glory who stumbles into a larger political conspiracy vis-à-vis the "artifact" (Does it have a name at all? Every Eldritch Artifact of Doom needs an appropriately sinister name) falling into Austhalti hands.

I tend to not want to have characters in high government positions for a few reasons, the first being that they're not going to be sent off on errands due to their importance (hard to have a group that way), and it kind of gives one character a lot more power and say over a faction than I'm strictly comfortable with. Plus, with Andvalt, the queen's kind of a mystery figure and I don't really want to "humanize" her, if you will. I have no issues with your character being a noble, and while magic tends to be frowned upon in Andvalt, it's not expressly banned. We have a write-up for how magic works in this setting, so do hold off deciding what a character can do until that's up and running. We just have a few more things on the go. Don't worry, we won't have any problem getting the plot moving, with or without a government official.

The artifact doesn't really have a name, the Andvalt might call it something different, but the Corvus who discovered it follows their practice of not naming something from The Far Side by anything other than the name it possesses from that plane. Since The Far Side is still largely unknown, even to the Corvus, it's impossible to even know if the Artifact is even just a a device or if it's alive with a will of it's own; The Far Side plays by a set of rules and physics that can be utterly incomprehensible to what people in Vistyea understand as reality. Seeing as it seems to have activated in intervals on its own accord, it's entirely possible the theory of it being alive may not be so farfetched.

Anyways! For everyone, if we're all still doing this, Soul's just being mauled by midterms right now so he'll be getting to this as soon as his schedule stops murdering the hell out of him and his free time. Grades > a game.

@Dervish

Fair enough. I wasn't sure how independent or interactive our PCs would be of/with one another, so I was trying to prepare an adequately self-sufficient character if I needed one. At present, I just find myself interested in playing a character that has a foot in at court as well as any sort of thaumaturgic underground, like a loose confederation of mage-scholars or maybe a cult. As for magical abilities, I indeed intend to wait for clarification from the two of you. ;)

And I like the idea the Corvus refuse to (re)name something from the Far Side, like it's bad juju to do otherwise. The possibility the Artifact is alive is also rad. d(^_^)

Been talking to Derv, so might have an interest in this when it gets rolling, but still thinking on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.