Where do you host your character hub site?

M

Mocha Latte

Original poster
I have a ton of original characters and worlds that I am always working on and building. I meant to have a place set up for this soon, but I had chosen a tumblr blog, assuming it would be the easiest for me to work with simply because I roleplay on tumblr anyway. Tumblr has been disagreeing with me though and has decided to constantly delete a lot of my hand-coded work. So I'm seriously considering have the tumblr just be something used to help my hub and actually have it on a different site. Tumblr might be easier as I understand it's coding best, but it's inconvenient for me in the long run and right now.​
I know some people make hubs using wix or weebly, but personally have little experience with them. Any other sites people use? Tell me about them and why you like them!​

Places made specifically for this:
The RP Repository
Welcome! - Charahub
Refsheet.net: Your Characters, Organized.
Toyhouse (meant for adoptables but has a good backbone for actual OCs)

Not for characters specifically, but also for worlds:
World Anvil Worldbuilding & RPG Campaign Management
Notebook.ai

For a content management system that you have full control over:
Wordpress (.org for installing on your own host, .com for a free limited service of the same)
Dokuwiki.org (must install on your own host)
This post lists a ton (Scroll down to "Apps" and start reading from there)

I started out on rprepository, moved from there to toyhou.se and my own wordpress install. They all worked well for a small amount of unconnected characters.
Eventually I wanted more of a wiki setup and decided wordpress wasn't for me. I moved to Dokuwiki and this is my setup now, although to be fair it's evolved into more worldbuilding than character repository. (most developed section right now is the "Inner Demons" Canon, although everything is still a WIP)

Personally I think refsheet.net is the best looking pre-made solution for characters currently. I watch the dev on Twitter and she's released a ton of neat updates over the past year. If I hadn't already started my own solution, I'd probably be using that site.

Good luck.

EDIT:

In the off chance you're actually just looking for a web host, you can use wix or squarespace which both I think have free tiers. If you're thinking of paying for them or any other pre-made sites already listed, please note that if you have any technological aptitude/willingness to learn, it is almost ALWAYS cheaper to host your own site and then put something on it. For example, toyhou.se, which doesn't let you have custom CSS unless you pay a subscription -- that subscription is more than I pay for my own webhost monthly. And I use it for more than just my character wiki. Installing things like wordpress and dokuwiki are free - so if all you are paying for is hosting then you have 100% control over whatever you want.

So keep this in mind if what you want is "simple" but the site asks for a subscription fee. By all means pay it if you like that specific site. But if you're frugal, hosting your own is probably the better choice.

So that said, Iwaku runs off atabyte so I feel it deserves being credited. But I personally use Nixihost.com

Last edited:
I know a few people use Toyhouse and generally seem favourably inclined toward it. I don't know too much about many others. I do know a few people host their writing, character, etc. works with Atabyte as well (if you're curious, you can see info about it here) and seem happy with it. I personally don't have any of these options and can't provide firsthand accounts of it.

I do know a few people host their writing, character, etc. works with Atabyte as well (if you're curious, you can see info about it here)

HELLO YES I HAVE MY SHIT HOSTED ON ATABYTE. It's indeed a good place to have a fully customisable place to put stuff that I've written or worked on.

You can check out the site here, if you're interested.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Kitti
I just use the character galleries on iwaku xD

Oh wow thanks to Vars for all the options. I'll have to check out some of the ones I haven't used yet.

I'll also have to look more into Atabyte. I love being able to have full control over everything and make it look how I'd like. I kind of have a thing for aesthetics, and having things look pretty haha.

I actually have a toyhouse and I do enjoy it. I should use it more, but it doesn't provide me with what I want for my writing. It's a god place for art of characters though, but my worldbuilding gets a bit complicated after awhile. Refsheet looks nice but seems to suffer from the same issue as toyhouse, at least in my case.

Rprepository is a site I used to use but eventually stopped at some point. I can't actually remember by really, but it was nice enough.

I seem to have fixed whatever was making tumblr disagree with my code so for the time-being it works I suppose. It is by no means a permanent solution, and I may phase over to atabyte eventually as it seems to be the best option for being able to do exactly what I want.