Where did you roleplay before Iwaku?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yahoo Chat, Teen for about 2 months or something, back in 1996 or 1997, then Arts and Entertainment for a while, until they killed off user made rooms.

Nothing for years until a friend invited me to a Star Trek game on a forum, dedicated to that game.

A little after that, I stumbled onto Roleplayerguild, then shuffled over here when the games I was part of, shuffled over here.

Reactions: Hana
Fanfiction (2012)

Had a great time sort of yeah, despite my perfectionism and being a newbie at admin.

Fictionpress (Not sure, but while I was roleplaying at Fanfiction)

Everybody made me feel like shit, no lie.

Jcink (2015, I believe)

Good, but it was extremely difficult finding a site that I could adhere to. I tried making a site myself but it didn't work out. The longest I've ever been on a site was about 4 to 5 months, but even then, I had trouble getting my shit together and being pro-active. I'm such a lazy ass.

Oh man, I've been roleplaying for over twelve years now and I got my start on Neopets. YEP. Back before I was an English speaking git and I was learning the language, I decided to join in on some basic one-liner English roleplays, just so I could learn the language faster, sentence structure, and slang. I'd ask my partners what a certain word meant or if I was using a phrase correctly.

Once I became more advanced in my English speaking prowess, I ended up moving to AIM chatrooms and such for a short while, but very quickly moved to RpGuild. I stayed at RpGuild for quite some time until their large site crash that took 'em out for... what.... two years?

At that time, I took a break from roleplaying but rejoined again about a year later at RpNation. Eventually, deciding I was no longer interested in the environment there nearly two years later, I moved here.

Viola! Here I am!

I actually started roleplaying on a Chat-Avenue chatroom as a joke, back in January 2014, with my (at the time) "friends", before I got into writing a few months later, and then I tried out "serious" roleplaying on a (now defunct) site called Swizeo*. Not too longer after, I actually came over here, thus why all my directly-roleplay-related posts suck.

I've also tried using RpNation and Gaia Online in the past, and I'll probably still use them because I'm a picky weeaboo, and I'd have a larger selection by keeping them in the mix. I very briefly was in a roleplay group on Quotev, but it wasn't very organized, and moved way too fast for my compulsive post-reading to handle.

* = A lot of peoplethere, including me, have transferred to the forum of a sister site called PetAdoptables.

I started in chat rooms back when those were a thing. Bravenet/BeSeen. Then NBCi/Snap.
Then MSN Chats, then their groups feature. Joined Gaia in 2004-- that was my first time roleplaying on a forum.
I joined Iwaku in 2010 and was here, but not for very long. I took a big break from RPing but if I'm being honest I've probably tried to RP on pretty much every avatar site known to man.

I'm back here now. I'll be honest, I'm a little intimidated. I guess all the old accounts were deleted when the site apparently changed leadership or something? Anyway yeah, this website is SUPER different now. Not bad, though. It looks good. Just a little overwhelming with all the options and stuff.

For me, roleplaying began at a game table long before I transitioned to a digital medium. Dungeons and Dragons was the first roleplay I ever participated in. However, I can't say that's what got me hooked on roleplay. The group was large, and for a beginner that was overwhelming.

About a year later, my girlfriend of the time introduced me to her cousins. We got along phenomenally and they eventually introduced me to World of Darkness. This is what started my love for the hobby and we've had some long lasting campaigns in those systems. Since then, I've started hosting my own games, and end up as the Game Master more often than not.

What caused me to start roleplay in text format was my eventual move from that town. All of us wanted to continue our campaigns, so we continued the process through email and chat-rooms. I moved on to forum RPs from there, but I still prefer the physical presence of players. Fortunately, several of my friends have moved to the same city and we are starting new games as such. I kept an account on Roleplay Nation, yet their latest update sent me here.

That all accounts for about 8 years of roleplaying.

I first participated in role play on a forum site, Comic Book Resources, two years ago. It was in the Traitor Games, which is the predecessor of the Murder Games here.

My first roleplay was in a rp group on a poetry site called allpoetry. Up until that point I had no idea what roleplaying was or how it worked, but I eventually got the hang of it after a few months on the site. It was a short reply chat roleplay that I was in and it really got me hooked on it. I searched for a roleplaying site not long after having left allpoetry and I stumbled upon Iwaku. I was surprised to find out that my first roleplay is still up on the site. It's great reference for how far I've come.

I was on Ninpocho (May have misspelled that -_-;). Don't judge me, ok. I quit after the battle system was implemented more. I found it too confusing. Then I went to Geeking and on Kik (which I still do sometimes, not going to lie). Then I came upon this place just browsing the web. Now I'm really happy that I got bored that afternoon ^_^

When I was around 11, I stumbled upon an Alice Academy role-play forum. I had no clue what role-playing was, but I vaguely remember posting a bunch of stuff there. I probably unintentionally jeopardised quite a few role-plays, but what can I say, I was a kid.

Fast-forward five years later, I turned into a huge anime geek and once again stumbled upon an anime-centric role-playing site called OtakuZone. That was probably the highlight of my role-playing career. I never seemed to run out of ideas, and I hosted a helluva lot of role-plays and made quite a few friends because of it. Even managed to become a moderator some years later, but unfortunately the company that owned the site just up and abandoned it. From there, the community branched out into different websites. Most, however, migrated to OtakuNetwork, which was a website created by the former admins of OtakuZone. For two years or so, I "retired" from the internet, mostly due to college, mostly due to a new relationship. Then, one eye-opening voyage and a break-up later, a fellow role-player managed to lure me back to OtakuNetwork. For about a year and a half, it was all failed and unfinished role-plays and elitism. There was a severe lack in activity, even among the admins. It is still quite a memory to look back on as we struggled to get the community active again, with all these competitions and role-plays and weekly discussions and what have you, but ultimately the efforts were futile and I just had to accept the facts. One of the friends I had made since I got back into role-playing suggested that I give Iwaku a try, and so here I am. ^-^

I started on Quizilla back in 2008 and stayed there until it closed

i started on quotev ( it was called quizazz at the time ) when i was like, 10? and then chatango. i did that for years and then was on and off rpnation since 2012, and i started using tumblr in 2013. still rp on tumblr and rpn! and now i'm here! i think i've joined a few other forums but never did much on 'em.

dA Chatrooms: okay, i was 12. this has been and probably will remain my most cringe-worthy period in my 9 year tenure. it was terrible, but i had fun since i was 12 and didn't really care about quality.

IM: i did a bunch of 1x1s of subpar quality, but i remember these fondly since i had a looooot of fun doing them. i made a lot of friends this way too, so it was overall a nice experience.

Gaia: i did a brief stint of rp in gaia. this was where/when my writing developed into a prototype of the style i use now. didn't really do much of it though, which is kind of a shame since i love how the b/c rps are organized. but other than that, i'm mostly just *eyebrow raise* at things there nowadays. i do love myself pretty graphics, but damn. this isn't a problem exclusive to gaia, but mfw i see people inflating their posts with unnecessary fluff. it seems to be more common there than other place's i've perused.

iAV: a private rp forum i spent a LOT of time on. this was my rp home from 2011 until it finally closed just last year. the quality was decent, people were friendly, things were pretty nice. barring the cliques and drama that come with having such a long-standing, tight-knit community. but i kinda grew up here and miss it for the people, neat rpg system, other stuff.

Tumblr: i rped here from 2013-2014. mostly homestuck characters, because this was about the time i was really deeeeeply into homestuck. i experimented a lot with my style here, since the characters themselves have such unique voices and i wanted to match my prose to their personalities. plus, i also read house of leaves my mark z. danielewski, so that REALLY made me want to experiment.

Google Docs: since i developed a taste for forum-styled rps, IMs usually just don't cut it anymore. so i went back to doing 1x1s, just over google docs. i also did have a forum for myself to use, but most of my rps since getting off of tumblr have been on google docs.

aaand here we are. so far, iwaku's pretty nice. i prefer it over rpnation, which i was on prior. haven't really done much yet to get the full experience, but i do love the features and interface.

There is a number of sites I role-played on. I first started RPing back in 2006 back on Myspace.

Myspace, Tumblr, Sitemodel, Roleplayer.me, Aniroleplay. I have RPed there for a good number of years. Myspace is a bit of ghost town so I haven't been on it in years. Sitemodel don't exist anymore. Roleplayer.me went a bit dead. And then there's Aniroleplay ... I left due to the admins lacking assistance, didn't have a lot of role-playing options and addition to the people connected to Sitemodel to Aniroleplay isn't much of a helpful bunch when it comes to role-playing. Tumblr on the other hand does have a friendlier and active group of people. Lastly, there's Iwaku. I am a bit new here. I am just exploring things here. From what I know: Iwaku seem to have a lot of options in terms of role-play and a friendlier bunch to say the least. I can't complain. ^_^

I've been around the roleplaying scene for a while. My interests have changed a lot in every stage of my life.

Runescape: RP'd there about a year after it was released. Was a lot of fun for my underdeveloped self.

Wonderland Online: South Korean RPG with an eroge visual novel vibe. The actual game itself kind of sucked (it made me want to play Chrono Trigger instead when I got into the combat) but the roleplaying aspect and what you could do outside of questing made roleplaying a lot of fun. I was one of the biggest food tycoons on the server I played on for two years.

Gaia Online: Played around with it while on Wonderland Online. Never actually RP'd on the forums or chats, though. Ended up not liking it.

Steam: Oh, Steam. The RP community on Steam is best experienced through Gary's Mod. The groups get messy. Never did get the hang of G-Mod but it was still fun.

F-List: Primarily an erotic roleplay site. I spent a long time here only really sticking around because of its great chat function. A lot of what it catered to wasn't actually appealing, though. It's pretty silly to go to a site like that and not want to do much at all pertaining to what it was made for, but that was my situation and I did what I could to enjoy my time there. F-Chat was definitely its strongest feature. I still get online there only because of a few like-minded friends I've made and its 4chan 4channels (puns) and very rarely do I roleplay in them. Those friends were given an invite to Iwaku.

Iwaku: Just started here, actually. Learned about it through word of mouth and I find it a lot more promising since it also has a pretty nice chat function. Sadly it doesn't seem like the chats themselves are very populated, but since I'm still new and don't know how people tend to operate here that might be a non-issue anyway. Iwaku might not be my last stop, but so far it seems to be a good stop. I'm used to having roleplay just happen when interacting in a chat channel, so I'm still not comfortable with finding profiles and asking to play. That might have to change.

I am surprised at not allot of Otakuzone being mentioned yet, although considering how filthy it was I understand. That's where I started at the young age of 12. The forums were an ok roleplaying place,but I never set foot in that social and vibrant part of the site, no, faith had instead decided to doom me to the dark chasm of the club section, what was at once ,too, a peaceful place for people to create clubs to share their common interest had been hijacked by those that were unable to abide by normal standards and thus were unable to roleplay in the forum with the pure and normal children. Nay, these creatures of hell had no place amongst those who had no such sin and created hell for their kind as their beacon of sin. A beacon to draw new moths to their flame and corrupt with their "uwu's", script based roleplay, one-liners and harem-themed lack of plot. It is a memory of past-sin that I still carry on my shoulders, despite the site having been defeated for good due to bankruptcy.

When the evil lair had been vanquished it's contents scattered through the lands, driving most to some other generic anime-themed roleplaying den of sin, but 't was not me who followed! It was the sinful beacon of another flame that drew me in; Valucre. Cloaked in the blackened tar of my tain, I soon noticed this lair held no place for me. The sin that had cloaked those that I found were much different then what I had used to-

You get the gist of this.

I have no clue how I feel about Iwaku, despite having been here for almost 2 years. All I do is roleplay in the conversations with one person and add my 10cents now and then in the general chat. People are free to talk to me, but I am waaay to shy to mingle. Also, because of Otakuzone was filled with 12 years old(including me) and what I saw from Valucre were elitists.
I used a one-liner in an 1x1 roleplay and the site's main admin send me a pm with tips how to improve my writing out of the blue. Yes, one-liners are bad(I learned better now), but damn son, chill out.

welp

Last edited by a moderator:
I was about twelve years old when I started roleplaying at a website called Gametalk (RPGChat). I returned to GT in 2014 and it was renamed as GTX0. It was lively then and now it's just sort of dying. No one's really doing anything about it. So, I came here in hopes to chat and work on my writing skills. I won't be active much during school season but I'll be around. If there weren't such interesting games coming out, that is. lol

My first proper RPing site was RPNation.

RPnation was a decent site but i ended up leaving because every RP I was in either died due to people abandoning it, the DM/GM either not caring about the pace and expecting people who have jobs or school to keep up with 50 a day posts or just awful. I mean, we're talking OOC in IC awful or godmodders galore. Granted, it wasn't all like that but that is how i remember it. I went there with passion, it drained me after dead RP after dead RP after dead RP. One GM described rape as racy and had it happen in their RP. Just what the feck!? It was the final step for me and I pretty much just decided to quit a few weeks afterwards.

The second site was Cape Concord(?). It was a superb site and had a wonderful community but sadly, due to life for several of the staff and the operating costs getting high(i think), they closed it down last year.

The third site was and is Guilty Pleasures. Wonderful site, lovely community. Mods are fair. RPs are always fun and quality is good. In my experience.

The fourth site is this. Good, quality. Shame that every group RP i've been in has died here but oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.