When You Came In, The Air Went Out (Shane x Daryl x Rick)

Rick rose before dawn since he'd hardly been able to sleep. He'd been kept awake by the strangest thoughts. Like trying to describe to himself what Daryl smelled like and then trying to remember what Lori had smelled like and from there his thoughts leaped back and forth between lust and guilt. He wandered out to the garden while it was still dim and set to work at some of the more complex tasks that he wouldn't be able to do with Carl pestering him or Tyreese trampling through or anything like that. He was utterly absorbed, his tired mind finding reprieve from the anticipation of a talk with Daryl. He was nervous as a school boy waiting for an answer from a girl about prom which made him both giddy that he cared so much and agitated with himself that he cared so much. As the sun rose he knew the prison would be waking. Maggie was on duty in the tower with Carl, Carol and Tyreese on perimeter and everyone else free to do other tasks. Rick himself should have been doing something else or teaching someone what Hershel had taught him, but the simple, mind numbing task was exactly what he wanted.

tumblr_inline_ndiu0oOBT91qgp297.gif

Shane lurked around the cellblock, waiting for Daryl to make his appearance. He wasn't sure why, but something was sitting wrong with him about all of this. He didn't know what he would say to him or what he would do, but he needed a word with the redneck on his own. When the waiting grew to be too much and he'd practically paced tracks in the floor, he poked his head in Daryl's room. He was laying there with his shirt half undone with a dreamy look on his usually calculating face. Shane squinted hard, searching for whatever it was that Rick was attracted to. Daryl was lean like a cat and twice as smart but he couldn't see it. "Mm. 'Morning." He backed off when Daryl shooed at him.

The larger man stood staring at his shoes, grasping for something to say. He could tell Daryl to stay away, but he had little doubt that Rick would seek this out to his conclusion. He could give him the talk his father once gave his sister's love interests. "Now your intentions better be pure with my little Rick or you'll soon meet the business end of my fist" but Rick didn't actually need protection. And maybe that was what was bothering him. If they ended up...together or whatever, where did that leave him?

He flicked his dark eyes at Daryl when he emerged from his cell and for a moment thought of everything he could say. Instead, all he did was offer a slick little smirk. He didn't say a word, just strode away, dodging around Carl when he zipped by with an armful of canned goods. He assumed for supper.

jon-bernthal-hot-walking-dead.gif

Once Daryl left his cell, he found Shane acting like he was waiting for him. It made him uneasy. And the fact he smiled in a smug way made Daryl sit in all the wrong places. Why was he here? To make things extra complex for Daryl? He just eyed the brute carefully before making his way out into the fresh air. Instead of wasting his time in thought, Daryl decided to think as he did something productive. Even though he could spot Carol and Tyreese marching the perimeter, Daryl decided to do the same on the opposite side.

On his way there, he caught sight of Rick. Something made his insides go all funny when he saw the man. It confirmed Daryl's suspicion that there was something between them now. He fiddled with the knife in his hand as he eyed the man from a distance. Once Rick looked his way, Daryl just gave him a hesitated nod before continuing on the way. Hell, he could take town ten walkers with one blade and he can't even tackle romance head on? It made Daryl feel like an idiot.

He strode to the fence and found his first walker, plunging his knife into it's eye violently. Besides confusion, Daryl felt irritation. Irritation that Shane was involved, the irritation he couldn't figure out what he wanted. He turned around to see if he could spot Rick again as he pulled out the bloody knife, biting his lip.

tumblr_m76at2OniD1rp62eq.gif

Rick finished his task, pleased with the look of the garden and the work he’d gotten done. The sun was creeping up the sky and he had no doubt today would be hot. Probably stupidly so. He was surprised to suddenly catch Daryl’s eye, but managed to return the nod before the other man made his way to the far perimeter. One of Rick’s favorite things about Daryl, Rick decided as he watched him go, was the man’s predatory tendencies. He prowled more than walked, his hunting abilities were incredible and the man was sharp as a whip crack. He leaned on his shovel for a moment, admiring him for a few moments more before returning to work.

He had half way started planning possibly digging a moat between the two fences, to move water for irrigation and to act as emergency protection when Carl joined him and started chatting about Beth. Beth’s voice and Beth’s long hair and Beth Beth Beth Beth. Rick listened, ever the patient father and almost wanted to interrupt his son. “Oh yeah, I love when Daryl looks over his shoulder at me or touches my back to let me know he’s moving behind me.” But he kept such things to himself. Only God knew how his often moody son would ever react to his father having homosexual feelings to one of his heroes.

Before he knew, caught up in his job and occasionally peeking at Daryl on the perimeter, lunch time was upon them. Beth and a few of the other women brought out some canned fruits and plastic utensils. Seeing his chance, Rick took one for himself and one for Daryl and strode out to meet him on the exterior. When he closed the distance, he stood for a moment in silence, eying the other man, trying to figure what he was thinking. An exercise in futility really. He held out the can and a spoon.

“So, what’s going on in that head of yours?” Straight to the point. Rick kept a smile on his face.

All throughout the morning, Daryl violently thrusted his knife into the passing walkers with unnecessary force. Occasionally he'd look over his shoulder to catch a glimpse of the man causing all the trouble. Soon, he'd face to face him. "I'd rather talk t'you." Daryl mumbled to a passing walker before his knife plummeted into it's eye. At least he knew there was something inside of him that was after Rick. Unlike yesterday when he was confused about practically everything.

Daryl pretended not to notice an impending figure coming up to him. He continued to pace, his eyes on the field. The voice was what made Daryl turn around. His eyes were drawn to the spoon and can, "Uh - That I'm hungry." He finally cracked a smile, leaning over to collect the spoon and can. He dripped his knife back into the holding place on his belt and began eating quickly.

He slowed down and rested against the inside fence, staring at the trees before looking at Rick. He swallowed the fruit and sighed, knowing he wasn't escaping this sticky situation any time soon. "Rick..." He said slowly. Daryl took a deep breath in and look at him closely, "I think I got feelings for you." He paused before licking his lips, tapping the spoon against the metal tin, "I ain't used to any of this. Nobody has ever, y'know. I don't think." Daryl added, shrugging, "I ain't got an idea to what to say man..." He mumbled, hoping Rick was the one with the words, rather than him having to explain himself further.​

Seeing Daryl uncomfortable was offputting to say the least. Rick ate at his own can while the other man got his thoughts together, holding onto that little smile Daryl had given him as some hope. He didn’t like the idea that this was stressing the other man or hurting him in any way, so he hoped they could get past this part of it or end it as soon as possible. Just as Rick was sipping down the syrup in the can, trying not to get it in his beard, Daryl spoke up. Rick listened sincerely, and couldn’t help the smile creeping onto his face. So he did have something for him. The former policeman finished off the juice and thought about what to say, watching the tree line like Daryl had a moment before. What he really wanted to do was kiss him, to shush the nervousness and seal the deal. But somehow, that didn’t seem the right thing to do. He was grateful for returned feelings, but he didn’t want to scare the other man away.

So he talked. “Well, I think that’s good news.” He honestly found it difficult to believe that no one had ever confessed feelings for Daryl before. The man was amazing, even in his drifting, law breaking days, Rick thought he would have been attracted to him. “Honestly, I didn’t know what you were going to say.” He was thankful Merle wasn’t around, suddenly, doubting the other man would have been very tolerant of his brother being with a man, let alone a cop, let alone the man who’d left him chained to a rooftop. “So, normally I’d ask you on a date, but there aren’t any good places in town…” He smiled around the joke. Glenn and Maggie had started their relationship with sex, pure and simple. The affection grew from there and now they as married as two people could be in this world. He didn’t think that was the right route for him and Daryl, but he wasn’t honestly sure what was the right path. “In lieu of a romantic evening or a movie, would you like to join me a run tomorrow? I was planning on taking one of the pick ups to load up some of those cans from the trailer Shane and I found. That will give some time alone to…talk or whatever you want to do.” He knew this was pretty awkward, but he couldn’t stop smiling. It was hard, but Daryl actually liked him!

Seeing Rick smile finally made Daryl smile. It seemed like it was going well. He felt relief rush through his system as he resumed his food eating. Daryl felt himself relax as he began to eat again, chewing on the fruit. Thank God, he thought. The joke actually got a small chuckle and smile from Daryl as he looked up. At least Rick managed to make things cheerful. Even if he did make bad jokes. They cheered the sitation up a bit. Or diffused the awkward tension in the air.

"Yeah why not. Nobodys taken me on a date nowhere before." Daryl gave Rick a sly grin as he tilted the can up, drinking the rest of the syrup. "Sounds great." Daryl grinned, having a good feeling about this. What he didn't have a good feeling about was the impending figure of a bear approaching them. Why did he feel the need? "I'll go help Carol out in the kitchen, I ain't got no more to do here." Daryl said, his eyes fully on Shane behind Rick. Not intimidated, just, Shane was Rick's best friend, so he didn't want to wreck that. He wasn't sure how to do so. A part of him wanted to hug Rick, but instead he just walked off briskly.

tumblr_mowv90utLb1s3wicpo1_500.gif

The image of two men talking caught Shane's eye as he shoveled the last of the fruit into his mouth. He watched through narrowed eyes. It didn't look like they were fighting, but a part of him wished they were. Shane felt an urge to join. Because, that was his best friend and he'd be damned if he missed something important. Especially now there was a new man in the game.
Shane walked briskly down the two men. He felt some sort of territorial feeling when he watched Daryl walk away. He approached his best friend and sort of took Daryl's place, "So, what's the deal? You two gonna start fuckin' or what?" Shane gave his friend a small smirk, before placing his hands onto his own hips. He looked about before looking back at Rick, hoping things weren't going to get too weird around here.

tumblr_inline_mpis2yo2yV1qz4rgp.gif

Rick felt a weird, fluttery little feeling in his chest. A date with Daryl. Daryl’s first ever date. He smiled broad and rather giddy, though his beard helped to keep it from looking too silly. “I can’t believe no one ever took you out. Hell, if the world hadn’t gone to hell I’d have gotten dinner reservations and everything.” He placed his hands on his hips and tried to think of some way to make the run seem a little more special. He could pick him flowers or share that candy bar he’d been hiding for the last six months. He silently chastised himself. What a stupid idea. The flowers for sure, candy maybe. He blinked when Daryl suddenly dismissed himself. It took him a moment to realize Shane was approaching but he managed to shoot his hand out and give Daryl’s upped arm a brief squeeze before he strode away.

A date. With Daryl.

He almost leaned forward and put his head on Shane’s broad chest, as he often had as a much younger man. Never romantically, just to take comfort from his much larger friend. He didn’t though, because something seemed a bit…off. He leaned against the inner fence and smirked at the other man’s question, reddening in the face slightly as he shrugged his shoulders. “I wouldn’t say all that but we’re going to clean out some of that truck tomorrow. Talk things over. But for now, he says he feels the same.” The words felt good to say. Yes, Daryl actually liked him. He flicked his eyes at Shane, trying to discern what the other man was thinking. Just like he did with Daryl, Rick sometimes couldn’t read his best friend. He’d had little idea Shane was sleeping with his wife until his behavior became erratic after her death. He had no clue the other man was losing his mind before his arrival. He didn’t know if that made him a bad friend or Shane a very good liar. But he smile, a little more subdued, and reached over, squeezing that larger man’s shoulder affectionately. “Brother, nothing’s going to change, just so you know. Even if we decide…” He rubbed the back of his sweaty neck. “To you know, be together or whatever, nothing is going to change. You’ll still be my best friend and in Carl’s life and…nothing is going to change.” He peered at him. “You may not even be worried, but…no harm in covering bases.”

tumblr_n8ztrfjxYH1t6ld8do4_500.gif

So, it all went well for them both. Shane didn't know what he felt. Some sort of negative feeling, for sure. Nevertheless, he smiled and nodded. Rick was basically replacing him with the redneck tomorrow. Shane wanted to point it out and ask if Daryl and Rick can snuggle together elsewhere, because he wanted to go on that run, but Rick continued to talk. Shane nodded and listened, sighing when Rick sounded like he knew what Shane was thinking. "Sure, sure." Shane muttered.

"Okay yeah. I get'ya. As long as you remember your boy. And me." Shane raised his eyebrows before sighing. He shouldn't be so uptight about this. Hell, he hadn't even congratulated Rick. "Well, I'm glad for ya'. You have a good date, or whatever you plan't do tomorrow." Shane gave his best friend a hearty shoulder slap before looking around, "Don't let him fuck you around. If he does..." Shane looked concerned, but knew Daryl wasn't really gonna do much, "I've gotta get back, see ya' in a sec." Shane nodded at his best friend again.

Shane wondered what was with him. Was he just feeling territorial around his best friend? Maybe he just didn't want Daryl to come in and replace him. He got a glimpse of the redneck, who was talking to Carol. Maybe it was something different. Shane didn't recall feeling territorial when Lori was around. But then again, he slept with her. But that was different, he told himself.

tumblr_m0ya6amNPf1rrtg49o1_500.gif

• Love
Reactions: GoodEveningClarice
Rick felt a little pang of danger as the other man strode away. Shane's concerns were perfectly just. Carl had lost his mother and now Rick was considering bringing a man into his life. It was all a hard situation no matter which way you took it but Rick was sure he could make it all work. And if he couldn't, well, then they'd figure it out. Rick took a moment to get his bearings, then headed back towards the group. There was still plenty of work to be done, romance aside. He made a point to chat with Shane several times that day, giving him attention without being overbearing. He spent time with Carl and did plenty of work and it was a great day for all. Carol, with Daryl's help and company, managed to whip a pretty decent taco meal, sans fresh lettuce and tomatoes of course, but no one bitched and no one mentioned that the meat was mostly squirrel and a little deer from Daryl's hunts.

When the day came to a close, when Carl was tucked into bed and the prison was settling down, Rick made his way to Daryl's cell on quick, silent feet. He knocked briefly then ducked under the sheet that separated the room from the hall. "Hey." He smiled around the greeting and took a moment to look around. The room was distinctly Daryl Dixon. His heavy leather winter jacket draped over a chair, some tools lying around for repairs on his bike, and the persistent scent of pine and cigarette smoke, a scent that Rick had finally pinned down in his mind. "Just wanted to...you know say good night." He wanted to sit down beside the other man and kiss him breathless, but instead he sat in the folding chair across from Daryl's bed. He wanted to confide in the other man about his concerns with Shane, but the idea of it felt like some kind of betrayal to his best friend.

"I figure we can take one of the vehicles and start loading it up in the morning, get out of here before it gets too hot and be back in the early afternoon." It wouldn't take more than hour to load the truck, which gave them several hours to do whatever they pleased. "This is a stretch, but there's a lake near that crash, not a mile from it. I can't remember the last time I swam and the water might just be cooler than a bath tub." He smiled. "If you don't want to do that, we can hunt or whatever you please." He was honestly excited.

tumblr_inline_ndmx87Ukuk1szun9m.gif

For the rest of the afternoon, Daryl spent his time with his good friend, Carol. He felt especially close to her. And he kind of wanted to confide in her about what was going on between him and Rick. She even questioned him on why he was acting so distant. Daryl didn't want to admit his mind was just focused on one man. He walked the perimeter for the evening, the watchful eye of Shane burnt into the back of his neck. Even though there was no romantic involvement, Daryl felt that he was stepping into Shane's territory. It also worried him that all of Rick's past lovers had to deal with Shane. But heck, he wasn't scared of that brute.

Once the evening fell and he switched spots with Glenn, Daryl sighed, happy to get some rest. He pulled back the curtain to his cell and closed the door after. Usually somebody would walk down and lock all of them, just in case. He hung the leather over the bed-end and took off his shirts. He looked stripped down out of his boots and pants and wiped down his face with some tissues. Sure, Daryl didn't feel all that bothered about appearance, but the feeling of dirt on his face got a bit irritating. He washed out his mouth with a bottle of mouth wash and used a toothbrush. He had ran out of past and forgot to ask. Daryl slipped under the covers in his underwear and sighed, thinking over his day.

When Rick entered, Daryl sat up, the covers keeping his lower body covered. "Hey." He said, nodding as he entered. Daryl just nodded as Rick spoke, kind of glad he was good at organizing this sort of thing. Plus, it was meant to be a date. "You suggestin' we go swimmin'?" Daryl raised an eyebrow. Then, he thought about the dirt he had rubbed from his face before, "As long as you promise not to get us killed when we're half-naked." He cracked a smile. Daryl paused, creating a small silence for a minute. Should he do it? "Rick..." Daryl lowered his voice greatly, "Shane ain't a homophobe is he? I ain't gonna deal with him if he starts soundin' like Merle."

Merle. Daryl sighed, he missed his brother. But the idea of him and Rick being together would probably make Merle go on a killing spree. So maybe it's best he isn't around to see this.
tumblr_inline_mz2cattBqE1r3kh5i.gif

• Love
Rick was having a hard time keeping his eyes on Daryl's face. He'd seen the other man shirtless plenty of times but it seemed different now, to be in a close quarters in his bedroom like this. He blinked when he realized Daryl had finished speaking and nodded. "I'll protect you." He smiled teasingly, knowing they'd saved eachother's lives an embarrassing amount of times. He didn't like to be dismal, but at times, when the group was falling apart over his leadership or others turned on him, Rick had considered how easy it would be for himself, Daryl, Carl, and Shane to just leave. They would be nearly untouchable. But then they'd found the prison and some of the burdens of leadership fell off of him. And now he had time to consider things like Daryl.

The last question took him offguard, and he was left squinting at the other man. He thought on what Shane could have done to give that impression, then thought back to how the other man had been behaving. A bit hostile to be sure. "Did he say anything to you?" He shook his head. "As far as I know he doesn't have a problem with this. He might be skeptical but he'll get used to the idea." He got up and moved so he was sitting on the edge of the bed, looking down at his dear friend. "He's probably just making sure I don't screw up. But I know, and you know, that at least for now, this isn't a mistake." He leaned down and pressed a quick kiss to Daryl's cheek, just brushing the corner of his mouth, before pulling away. "It won't be an issue, and if it is, I'll take care of it."

trust-1423153502.gif

"I guess.." Daryl sighed. It crossed his mind that it might just be him being too wary of people. But Daryl was sure, Shane did not like this. He sighed and nodded, trusting Rick's judgement, as usual. If something was up, or ever did become a problem, Daryl trusted Rick would know what to do. Especially since it was his best friend. Daryl needed to remember that Shane was still important to Rick, despite what he had done in the past.

As Rick leaned in, Daryl panicked internally. Externally, he just sat, and let it happen. He couldn't however, prevent the twitch in the side of his mouth, making him smile a bit. When was the last time he had ever felt lips against his skin? "Nah, I getcha." Daryl nodded, forcing the stupid side smile off his face. "G'night then. I'll see ya' in the mornin' for our swimmin' date." He joked, the smile he had just fought off his face jumped right back on. As Rick moved, Daryl slid into the bed more. When Rick left, he offered another smile and finally put his head on the pillow. His heart was beating quicker and his cheeks were hot. Rick was serious about this. And at least Daryl had some indication that he felt the same way about Rick too. Hopefully tomorrow to help Daryl figure it out more. With his thoughts of Rick, Daryl slipped into his sleep.

tumblr_mirmtxPu8j1qhcqeqo1_500.gif

Rick looked down at Daryl, trying to memorize that little half smile to draw upon in darker times. He smiled and nodded before standing up. If he lingered any longer he wouldn’t be able to control what his hands or mouth did. “Until then.” He slipped out of the room and made his way down the hallway to his own room, face stern but heart aflutter. He didn’t notice Shane watching him from a perch on the stairs or the glare the other man was harboring. He poked in on Carl to ensure he was safe and sleeping then returned to his own room. He lay face down on the bunk and smiled into the bedding. Sleep teased at him so he quickly kicked off his boots and tugged his shirt over his head. He dreamt of pine woods and a light, pleasant rain.

//

The next morning came quickly enough. Rick rose early and spoke to Shane, Carol, Hershel and Glenn to let them know how long he and Daryl would be gone and some general instructions on what should get done that day. With that aside, he checked the tires and gas on the truck he wanted to take. He drove it to the gates and waited for Daryl, knowing the man was usually very punctual. While he stood there, he watched Carl and Shane working together in the garden. His son was chattering excitedly, probably about Beth, and Shane was smiling and listening patiently, hopefully not giving too good of advice. He watched the tautness of the other man’s shirt, squinting in the heat as Shane rolled his back. So, maybe this whole attraction to men wasn’t a new thing after all. He shook his head and glanced up when he noticed Daryl stalking his way over. “Morning.” He went around the other side of the vehicle and climbed in, letting the other man get settled before pulling out of the prison.

It was a short drive to the crash site. “Here it is.” He backed the truck right up to the back of the trailer and got out to unlock it. The canned good were still safe and unharmed so he got to work loading case after case into the back of the truck, muscles straining but enjoying the work since he had such good company.

tumblr_n8ztrfjxYH1t6ld8do4_500.gif

When Daryl woke up, he was greeted with thoughts of Rick. The man had been plaguing his dreams now. Daryl rolled out of bed and collected his clothing. At least he'd get some time alone with Rick, actual time alone. Maybe they could talk about things without Shane breathing down his neck. Whatever Rick said, Daryl stood by the idea that Shane was not okay with this. And right now, Daryl couldn't do anything to prevent him from being so.

Once he was dressed and ready, Daryl picked up his crossbow and strolled out. He spoke briefly with Carol before making his way outside. Even though it was only the morning, the heat was heavy like liquid. "Mornin'." Daryl walked over to Rick, huffing as he prepared to get into the car. His eyes spotted Shane, they traced him for a second before he got into the car. Maybe he should stop worrying about him, he wasn't going to be there when he and Rick could spend time together. He watched the prison go by as they drove away. He sat quietly as he watched trees go by. It still amazed him that the dead were probably lurking in there somewhere. Hopefully, not too close to his date venue.

The truck supplied more than Daryl expected. He fished out the unbroken cans and carried them over to their own. As he dug further, he found a couple of matches, some cigarettes and a bottle of what smelt like cleaning alchohol. All were useful. Daryl lit himself a cigarette happily and puffed out smoke as he put the rest of them into the car, "Smell's like paint cleaner or somethin', Hershel'l probably finda' use." Daryl motioned with the bottle as he stuffed it away. After more extensive searching, the truck was exhausted of it's use. Daryl sat down into the car and finished the smoke, puffing out the smoke slowly.

"Now, What'r we usin' f'towels?" Daryl grinned over to Rick, surprised by how excited he was to go to the lake with him.

tumblr_inline_nekvuoQsrp1qltvoe.gif

Rick was pleased with how quickly they finished the work. He blinked when Daryl mentioned towels as he'd been distracted with the other man's taut arms. He smiled when it finally went through his head what the other man was asking. "I tossed a couple in the truck, hope you brought your trunks." When they were both in the pick up he drove it down to the lake, a short ride of four or five minutes that allowed Rick time to decide he liked how cigarette smoke smelled on the other man. And probably only him. It was a nice compliment to the subtle scent of pine he carried with him.

Once they'd arrived. Rick wasted no time in making sure the area was free of walkers, killing a couple that were eating half of a deer. Neither of them wanted to be surrounded while they were in the lake after all. With the area secure and the towels left by the bank, Rick stripped down his boxers. He didn't rush but didn't want to seem like he was doing some sort of strip tease either. He got into the water and sighed in delight. It was cool despite the heat. Wading in to his waist, he slipped under the water to slick his hair out of his face and remind himself what it was like to be submerged, not just rinsed off. "Water's great." He shouted over his shoulder, turning to watch Daryl as subtly as he could. "You are so beautiful." He heard himself say. He didn't recant, just smirked when the other man approached and splashed him lightly. "I should brought some champagne." He joked, keeping a bit of distance between them but certainly closer than he would stand to someone like Shane while half naked.

09-topless1.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: King
Daryl didn't waste time getting out of the truck when they reached there. He scurried out with his crossbow, going the opposite away around the lake to Rick, checking for walkers. He only found a crawler and quickly put it out of it's misery. As he got back to Rick, he placed the crossbow down on a rock near the water. "It's all clear." Being caught off guard would not be fun without the crossbow, especially if he was in his underwear.

As he leaned back up, Rick's shirt was already off. It wasn't anything he hadn't seen before, but in the new light of feelings for the man, Daryl was impressed by his abs. Hopefully Rick didn't catch him staring, since his eyes floated down to his legs as his trousers came off. He noticed that Rick was wading into the water and Daryl wasn't even out of his clothes yet. Quickly, Daryl tugged off each layer, exposing his chest. As Rick was waist deep, Daryl was in his boxers. He looked over to the knife in his pocket. Could he? Nah, Daryl decided against trying to take it with him, instead, he walked in carefully, making sure not to step on anything. "I ain't been swimmin' for a while." Daryl smiled, the cold water contrasted perfectly with the hot weather. Daryl smiled as he began to tread the water. He looked at the short stretch of water before back at Rick, his eyes tracing the glittery effect on his chest. "Race ya'." Daryl grinned before plunging into the water, splashing off into a quick swim.

giphy.gif

• Love
Rick did not find it easy to not look at Daryl. Even though the other man was around his own age, he was still slim and smooth like a man in his early twenties or late teens. He was delighted when the other man became playful and challenged him to a race. “Don’t come crying to me when you lose… or do.” He teased, swimming after him swiftly. The lake was deep and clear and clear of trash which was something of a relief. Even when humanity stopped working, the earth went on without their help. He swam after the other man, but Daryl had a head start and ultimately prevailed over Rick. He chuckled and came to rest beside the other man, treading water and floating without much effort. He smiled at his companion, moving closer so their bare chests were almost touching. “I guess I’m crying to you.” He swallowed and leaned in, first pushing Daryl’s wild hair from his face, then finally claiming his lips as he’d wanted to for so long now. He tugged him close, keeping a loose grip on his waist but not enough so either of them would have trouble keeping afloat. Daryl tasted like liquor and pine and wood smoke and the taste sent heat rocketing down Rick’s spine. He cupped his face in his free hand, kissing deeply and with some level of need, but keeping a relaxed pace lest it get too intense for the other man.

tumblr_mgi4urwcjn1rpa1y2o1_500.gif

(SHORT POST, BUT KISS)​

• Love
Swimming was a lifting feeling. Being bound to the muddy ground was heavy after a while. It had been a long time since Daryl had felt 'free' so to say. He smiled to himself as he could hear Rick splashing behind him. As he reached the other end, he caught his breath and looked at how far he had swam. Not all that far but, at least he beat Rick. He treaded the water as he watched Rick closely follow behind. He let out a small chuckle, not wanting to say 'I win' or anything too cocky. The water dripped off the man's sharp cheekbones, down the rustic stubble of his jawline. Daryl took the moment to notice how much Daryl appreciated him.

Daryl wanted to say something, but was taken by suprise as the other man was pressing his lips against him. Daryl's reaction was to put his hands onto Rick's chest, steadying himself as he kept floating. It took him a moment to settle into it, since it had been a while since he had kissed anyone. One of his hands slowly slid up to the back of Rick's neck as he tilted his head a little, eyelashes fluttering. His heartrate must of increased by twice it's usual as he kissed the man deeper.

He felt himself slipping, so Daryl pulled out to steady himself in the water again. There was no hiding the red dusting of his face as he looked at the man, "You ain't half bad..." He mumbled with a grin, having no idea what to say.

tumblr_mezkiyVxZ91rpjrqb.gif

Rick could only smile at Daryl’s comment, red creeping up his neck as he got his breath back. “You’re pretty alright yourself.” He teased, swimming backwards until his feet touched bottom. He stood looking at Daryl, licking the taste of the other off of his lips. He moved until he could comfortably sit half in and half out of the water, just watching the other man. Something in him, something he’d long contained, bloomed a bit in him as he sat there. The sunshine on the water, the breeze, and Daryl Dixon’s dark eyes on him…it felt right. It felt real and nothing had felt real in a long time. Rick Grimes sometimes still felt he would awaken at any moment, with Lorrie sleeping by his hospital bed and Shane bringing him more flowers in stolen vases. Still, after everything that had happened he found himself wondering when he would wake up.

But this was real, this moment. Even with the dead walking and almost everyone he’d ever known dead, with his son motherless and having to live in a world where killing was the best skill a man could ask for, he could still feel something new. Something other than horror or bitterness or the grinding feeling of exhaustion wearing his bones thin. He smiled and slipped back into the water so his feet were planted. Pulling Daryl Dixon close, he linked his hands behind the man’s back and looked into his face. Then he kissed him again, and again, and again until he was breathless and the time was drawing near to return to camp. “Lead the way, Mr. Dixon.” He murmured against a mouth he had now memorized.

( Listen to this while you read my post! It was such perfect background music for this moment <3
)

tumblr_m1asgvPJwe1r8sjyn.gif

• Love
Romance was something that never really blossomed in Daryl, but at this moment, it felt like it did. He allowed himself to smile at nothing as he waded closer to Rick. Everything seemed right. He didn't feel the empty bitterness, as it was filled with a new sensation of warmth. He put his hands over Rick's shoulders, smiling at the man. His heart didn't pound because of fear, it was excitement. Daryl allowed himself to kiss Rick again, and again. He got lost in the feeling that he didn't really feel til now. Rick was really something new. Hopefully, this would be the start of something different for them both back at camp. Daryl wanted to ask so many questions, but instead, used his lips for hungrily kissing the man.

Daryl didn't want to pull away. He slid his hands down from his tough shoulders to Rick's hands, holding them tightly. "Aight.." He mumbled against Rick's lips, kissing him once more before wading back into the water, keeping one of his hands gripping to Rick's. There was no way he was going to walk all the way back to their clothes in just his boxers, that would be really unfun if they ran into something. As Daryl couldn't keep his feet on the rocks below, he let go of Rick's hand to swim back to the other side. He smiled to himself as he enjoyed the journey before it got shallow. Daryl climbed out of the water and stretched out, sighing as he shook his head to get the water out of his hair. "Where're the towels?" Daryl messed his his hair as he turned back to Rick.

tumblr_mp9dti197o1svlodgo1_250.gif

• Love