When I was young, we were happy with two dimensions and a fetch quest.

Applo

Beautiful like a Forest Fire
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
So you made it past the obnoxiously gratuitous reference of a tile, Well done!!

Now on to the serious stuff; What was your first video game?

For me it was 1997's Moto Racer. I sunk a lot of hours into that game that I should have probably spent outside learning to climb trees and stuff.​

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Eru
PS1 Legend of Dragoon. Was sort of built up to be this epic competitor to Final Fantasy with its epic scale and cinematics, but didn't quite succeed. Kind of an underappreciated cult-classic nowadays.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Shiri and Applo
It was either Tomb Raider 2, Spyro 3, or the first Spyro.

I started real young.

• Bucket of Rainbows
  • Love
Reactions: Draugvan and Applo
I feel like it was either Space Cadet Pinball on Windows 2000, or Donkey Kong Country for the SNES. I remember monkeys, bees, and a hovercraft that could go up waterfalls.

So many bees. @_@

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Applo
Test Drive. I think I was... five years old maybe.

120792-TestDrive.jpg

• Bucket of Rainbows
The Mario Bros/ Duck Hunt combo. I was about 4 or 5 when I started showing interest in video games. Unfortunately the system has since kicked the bucket. RIP Old Friend.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Pokemon Red

My oma and opa also had a Super Nintendo so Duck Hunt, Super Mario Brothers (original and 2, the weird one with the turnips) and some other games that I remember fondly but could not tell you the name of were up there too.

Then there was Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart, and Majora's Mask, alongside Final Fantasy 8 and 7. I didn't play any of those originally; I used to just watch my brother play them. When we were kids, I was the one always running around and exercising, while he played games. Now we've switched. :^ )

Alex the Kidd, the Sega console default game (no cartridge inserted). I love the rng madness of the paper scissors rock boss. You know it probably had tells...

• Bucket of Rainbows
PS1 Legend of Dragoon. Was sort of built up to be this epic competitor to Final Fantasy with its epic scale and cinematics, but didn't quite succeed. Kind of an underappreciated cult-classic nowadays.
Something tells me you would enjoy the PlayStation Access Friday Feature on YouTube.

Reactions: Aero Blue
Two Dimensions and a Fetch Quest is the name of my nerd rock band.

I think my first game was Super Mario Land on a Game Boy borrowed from my older brother. The first game that I owned was Link's Awakening DX, that I got bundled with a Game Boy Color.

• Bucket of Rainbows
I was practically raised on video games, particularly Nintendo ones, with a Nintendo 64, a Pikachu-themed Gameboy Color, and a transparent pink Gameboy Advance from as far back as I can remember. Since I was really young then, like 3 or 4, I can't place much of a timeline. They really belonged to my cousin, but she moved out a few years later, and left me with them all. I have a few memories of playing Ocarina of Time and making my cousin go through "the scary parts", which were basically Hyrule Field at night, and that one tomb with the redeads. Also memories of accompanying some family to go buy Pokemon Sapphire, though that memory's details are really fuzzy, despite being quite vivid.

The first game I actually owned was probably Wind Waker for the GameCube, or Mario Party 7.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Spyro 2, Ripto's Rage.
It's hard to really compared to the absolute wonder of the first time I turned it on and became a nerd for life.

• Bucket of Rainbows
  • Love
Reactions: Draugvan and Applo
First video game was probably something from Atari. I remember my uncle had one. I don't remember the games though. Probably that game with donkey kong throwing barrels at early Mario? It was either that or an arcade game.

• Bucket of Rainbows
A Superman game on Atari. It's too bad I can't even remember if it actually existed because it's been so long and the whole game was surreal to me at the time.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Spyro 2, Ripto's Rage.
It's hard to really compared to the absolute wonder of the first time I turned it on and became a nerd for life.
While spyro 2 was not my first game, it was a solid cornerstone of my childood. As was Hercules on the ps1 and echo the dolphin.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex. That game was my shit, and I feel like it's underappreciated

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Applo and Draugvan
Oh god, what was it called...Game and Watch Gallery for the GBA. I believe it was that along with Monsters Inc for the GBA as my first games. I was so mad when my grandfather threw away my GBA since I'm pretty sure he threw the game away in it. I may be wrong, but if I am, I have no clue where the original game is.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Spyro Year of The Dragon was my first game, I probably messed myself (up) by playing Silent Hill and I definitely shaped my brain into the mess it is today by playing MGS. But my first personal games console was an Xbox and playing Silent Hill 4 molded me into what you see before you

Wolfenstein 3D on MS-Dos, I remember having the floppy disc too. Nostalgic. :,)

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Applo and unanun
My mom had (still has, actually) an old SNES that I would play. Mario Kart, Super Mario World, and Super Mario Bros. I remember spending numerous hours on. She had LTTP too, but for some reason I never got into it. I think it was because gaming was never the biggest way I spent my free time. I also had Legos and drawing to keep my company, so something like a long quest didn't hold my attention. Probably why I never finished Pokémon, either.

Nowadays I've got a Switch and six games so far. They're really fun, but the third dimension is really hard to get used to as I only started playing those kinds of games because of the Switch. When I first started up Breath of the Wild I couldn't figure out the camera - I'd never played a game with that option before. Even now, it's still a little tricky fighting in a 3D space (currently unable to beat the Lynel on Ploymus Mountain). I've had similar problems navigating Xenoblade 2 and Odyssey - just because I'm not familiar with the setup.

I know the second part's not what you were asking for, but for me at least the title's very accurate.

• Bucket of Rainbows