When I grow up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kitti

Sometimes it's embarrassing. And if it came true, the world would probably have a disproportionate ratio of ballerinas and astronauts to other less glamorous professions.

What did you want to be when you grew up? Did it change a lot?

When I was a kid I was an animal lover. No wait, I'm still an animal lover. Anyway, I wanted to be a veterinarian when I grew up. ^_^

Once I was in grade three, however, I had already started writing little stories and poems, and from there I knew I wanted to be a writer. That hasn't changed since I was nine years old ^_^.

For as long as I can remember, I wanted to be a defense attorney. Then I took a few law classes and was like, "Yeah, nope."

Though, when I was around 9 when everybody was started saying "Why, lawyer? You can be anything you want to be." I started responding with "Duck. I want to be a duck." They said I could be anything. They never appreciated my new answer, so they stopped trying to change my mind.

I wanted to be a police officer. I came from a small rural town where the police where really helpful and made you feel safe, I always thought I could bring that to the rest of the country. I got caught up in other things, received poor career advice, and ended up far from that dream, but I do still think about joining the academy. Rumors are that Milwaukee will send just about anyone to the academy in return for a few years down there, it's not glamorous, but it might be my in.

I wanted to be a doctor because that was the Asian dream. Then I discovered I hated looking at blood and getting sick so I decided against it. Then I wanted to be an artist but that was the Asian anti-dream, so I decided to try and go for something else and keep as a hobby.

And now I'm stuck.

I wanted to be a cop/alphabet agency agent. I always thought it would be awesome to wear a suit and a gun at the same time!

When I was younger I wanted to be an astronomer, because nothing excited me more than looking at the stars and the whole universe in front of me to discover. Then I realized that required exceptional qualifications in mathematics, and all that math did not make me nearly as happy as looking at the sky above me did. Granted my biggest dream is still to be an original Mars colonist, but it's unlikely I can get in on that, even within my lifetime.

So now I'm debating on whether to become a professor or a forensic anthropologist/forensic pathologist; the later two are not for the squeamish, but I've never been that way, and if anything, curious about the process of death so it seems like a good paying niche career I'd enjoy.

A writer or an artist was one of the big ones, but as a child even I was more realistic and had a reality plan which still may not even be possible @_@ but I'm trying for it! A museum curator. I love history, and teaching here it out of the question because in Canada everybody wants to be a teacher. So I'm hoping to get into the history field somehow @_@

The first thing Ai wanted to be, at like age 5, was a singer. Then I wanted to be a vet. As I got older I wanted to become a novelist. Then I decided I could write whenever I want. I dont need that to be my goal. As I got even older I wanted to become a buyer for a corporate company.

What I didn't know is that all I ever really wanted was to be a mommy. She takes up so much of my time and energy I dont know how people work and have babies o.o. I have mad respect for them!

When I was a kid, I wanted to be a pilot. I love the idea of flying and I always have. I kept that goal for a pretty long time but it turns out that I did not roll the "pilot character" in the genetic lottery.

It's okay, though, because I found something else that makes me feel passionate. It's very different and I never knew that I would feel obsessed with genetics and molecular biology in general, but there you have it.

Ever since I was about 3 years old, I've wanted to be a soldier and drive tanks. That goal never changed, but everything changed when the Crohns nation attacked.

So, yeah. I got to be in the reserves for a bit, didn't appreciate it until I grew up a bit (I was 17 at the time), and now that door is shut to me. I still want to wear the iron gauntlet of the Canadian Forces armoured corps, and I still want to treat a 100 tonne tracked vehicle like it's a Jeep, but alas life had other plans.

Reactions: Honor-Sama
Wanted to be a cop for a long time. Then I wanted to be an airforce pilot, or join the military in some other fashion-- did ROTC in high school. I grew up in a military family, so that was inevitable.

I was always a snarky little shit as a kid, so my first response to the question was "I want to be a fire truck."

Other than the canned response to the banal question, the one constant throughout my life was a desire to write for a living. Novelist, video game writer, opinion column writer, etc. The dream was to be able to make a steady and comfortable living solely through writing, so the exact format wasn't very important. Might still happen, but it would require me to overcome my crippling mix of complacency and lack of motivation.

• Love
As far back as I can remember I always wanted to join the navy. Not the Airforce becuase their wimps, not the Navy because the ocean scared me the ARMY. It went as far as me and my best friend concocting a plan to take over the world in third grade. Involving an unsolicited nuclear strike against China that would originate in Russia and trying to Keep the holocaust as far away from american soil.

I am happy to say I moved on from that, found other passions like writing and music but some things come back up when you least expect it. Instead of going to collage I actually might be leavining for Boot camp and joining the Navy. I guess Im just that third grader at heart, minus the taking over the world I hope.

I wanted to be a firefighter since I was five. I watched Emergency!, Rescue 911 all the time and would play it outside. However, when I turned fourteen I got in a very bad car accident. It fucked up my leg, and I can't walk correctly to this day. So that poo-pooed my dreams of becoming a firefighter. Now I have set my goals on becoming a child therapist. Either way I know that I'll love what I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though I knew it was an impossibility, from the age of 3 I wanted to be a dancer. As I got older and people started asking what I wanted to be when I was older, I would tell them I wanted to be an artist or some sort of doctor because those wouldn't get me pitying looks like dancer would, but I knew that wasn't really what I wanted to do and I wasn't really good enough (or interested enough) at anything to think about making it a career.

Then, when I was thirteen, I went in for surgery and spent the first two months of recovery out of school and while I was bedridden, I started writing and I loved it. I quickly decided that was what I wanted to do with my life and haven't stopped writing since.

First I wanted to be an artist, then I wanted to be a veterinarian. I guess I'm kind of an ~artist~, but I draw/paint so rarely these days that I think I hardly qualify there. I've sold commissions in the past, but that's definitely not on the table right now. :E

For a while in the recent past I was set on becoming a vet tech, but I've since realized that I can barely think about dead cats without tearing up -- I don't think it would be the right job for me. Who fucking knows what I'm going to end up doing. I've been a receptionist since I was 17, but I don't want to be a permanent receptionist. God, kill me.

An Engineer.

Now I realize that I SUCK at advanced math, so I want to be either an architect (Similar but not as complicated) or an anthropologist.

Status
Not open for further replies.