When Five Becomes Four

A9EGH6zlxkdO5afrtozll0980rGrQhUfrhwj87rLy5eGk0GKCI5w19XqSeqgRz91L9nOefpZWu3MhFL-uBW3lSLzjNeDivuvXQR8Aska5IhcpN2eL4XD3tN0N5-hctX1UyFoeCLH

Just like a ghost, Joane slipped away. Corey watched helplessly as she made for her car and shut the door behind her. Hardly felt himself ask the words, "Why did you do that?"

"What?"

"Why did you drive her away?" Corey asked. He looked to Kenna, her familiar face blurred by tears. "Why did you push Joane away? She was- she was right here. She came to visit me and now she's gone because-"

Kenna scowled at him. "You can't make people stay if they don't want to-"

"That's not the point, Kenna!" He stood in the doorway, barring her path. Part of him screamed to stop this, to move and let Kenna inside, but the other half wanted her gone. All she did was ruin things; ruin his chances with Abel and, now, Joane. "You put her on the spot and you know how Joane is! Why can't you- Wait, Kenna!" She had turned and started towards her own car. Corey found himself following. "Kenna, wait, please. Please. I know you're upset over the hospital thing-"

She yanked her car door open, not meeting his eyes. "I'm not upset."

"Bullshit." Even if he didn't know Kenna personally, the barely concealed pained expression gave her feelings away. For someone with such a strict guardian, she'd never been a good liar. "Kenna, I'm sorry. She shouldn't have treated you like that, but you have to understand-"

The car door shut and his face fell. Again, he watched as yet another car pulled out of the driveway.

He stood there, alone.

mnfNXaB.png

Stopping in an empty parking lot a few blocks away, Kenna brought shaking hands to her face. Breathed slowly only to have her inhales devolve into wet hiccups. Corey was right; she had pushed Joane away. Yet, even now, she couldn't bring herself to feel guilty. The passive aggressive remark still felt good. There were so many things she wanted to say to Joane but had kept under wraps for the sake of trying to make things work.

Kenna didn't know if they'd ever work.

"N-No," she told herself, palms scrubbing desperately at the tears in her eyes. No. She wanted her friends back - wanted her life back - and blamed her lack of involvement last year for their separation. If she'd just tried a little harder, maybe Abel wouldn't have left. Joane might still be there. None of them would be so fucked up in the head as they were now.

But trying was hard and she was so tired. Every time Abel had ignored her texts since things went to hell, a little part of her shriveled up. To top it all off Joane, the one she thought would care even through the separation, hadn't so much as visited her in the hospital.

Kenna hated the hospital. Hated the white walls, the smell, the tender IV needle stuck in her arm. Hated the nurses who constantly chastised her for not getting enough sleep or food to eat; for destroying her body. They didn't know anything, though, and it wasn't like they bothered to.

Nobody did.

Even Corey, who blamed Kenna for losing their friends, had only ever come to her with his own feelings. His own grief. As she sat there, vigorously trying to compose herself before driving home, Kenna wondered when it was that everyone expected her to carry all their fucking problems. She was human, too.

A9EGH6zlxkdO5afrtozll0980rGrQhUfrhwj87rLy5eGk0GKCI5w19XqSeqgRz91L9nOefpZWu3MhFL-uBW3lSLzjNeDivuvXQR8Aska5IhcpN2eL4XD3tN0N5-hctX1UyFoeCLH

Slamming the door behind him, Corey leaned against the worn wood and ran fingers through his hair. He couldn't breath, couldn't think. Not only had he just lost Joane after quite literally just getting her back, Kenna left, too. He didn't know if that was for good but things were so fragile that he might as well consider things over. Why couldn't they just stay?

"Why!?" The bag of donut bites crumpled against the wall, sprinkles falling onto the floor, and Corey openly cried. Let the tears fall until his throat felt raw and his eyes were red not from that morning's smoke but his own miserable life. Words from Espresso Express haunted his mind, forcing him to sit down and muffle sobs into his knees.

He was annoying; they'd only been there out of pity; nobody liked him.

A warm, fuzzy body pressed against his side. He pulled Miss Peggy into his arms. Cried softer than before into her fur, her purrs soothing.

• Love
Reactions: Fox of Spades
Collab between @Cartoonicat and @Fox of Spades

kGLjl18fJOK4rTHmRSZCv4vuhy82oNRSl_3wEKepHlUbeyFiDtTtbHSqh7aKssLj85ZJbiVgvUSb5jyrjOikCdZDMcTuipQxIn8wGzpnrCMzQ4ubD1EUmsSrksNQCmKWp_spX2Bn

The tears had come and gone. Now, Corey stared up at the ceiling of his living room, freshly painted nails air drying at his sides. He'd chosen a deep blue; what other color could so perfectly encapsulate what he felt? "I could have picked black," he murmured, turning his head to look at Miss Peggy. The cat paused the licking of her paw to stare at him. Corey smiled weakly, "but that'd be super emo, right?"

When Miss Peggy said nothing, Corey sighed. Went back to staring at the ceiling.

"Maybe Abel's right. Maybe I should move on," he mused out loud. Once and awhile, Miss Peggy would pause her ministrations, but mostly she let him drone on without much interest. "I could become a new me - a new Corey Harper. Maybe dye my hair or get a new piercing. Revamp my wardrobe."

While he did consider the options, Corey knew he probably wouldn't act on them. The last piercing he got - a Snug - had sent his father through the roof. Not that the first few didn't. Running fingers through the tips of his hair curiously, only when he pulled away did he remember: "Shit! My nails…" Pouting, Corey sat up to inspect the damage.

Sure enough, the polish had smudged, revealing bare nail beneath. As he dabbed a remover-dampened cotton ball in place, the door clicked open. His head shot up. "Joane?"

"Jeez, it looks like a tornado hit in here." His father's voice. Corey scrambled to his feet, knocking over the nail polish remover bottle onto the carpet. He cursed quietly and tried soaking up the mixture with a towel. His father hadn't realized he was in the living room, hardly a few steps away, but he would soon: The acrid stench of nail polish remover had quickly floated into the air. At least it masked the heavy smell of weed.

A cough sounded from the foyer. "What the hell is that smell? Do you smell that? Corey, get in here!"

Stuffing his nail supplies back into his cosmetics bag, Corey wrapped it in the smelly towel and shoved it under the couch. Again, his father called - this time more impatient - and he stood just in time to see his parents stepping into the living room. The two met eyes and Corey stuck his hands in the pockets of his sweatpants.

"Heyyy, you're home early."

"Thank God for it; the trip was exhausting," his dad said. His eyes scanned the living room, hovering over each thing that stood out of place: The moved furniture; half eaten donuts on the coffee table; strewn clothing all about; several empty water bottles and a coffee-crusted mug. Not to mention the large wet spot in the middle of the carpet. He frowned. "What have you been doing all weekend?" His nose scrunched and brows narrowed. "Is that nail polish remover?"

Corey paled. "Uh-"

"I hoped you'd grown out of that. You're an adult now, Corey; it's not cute anymore," he said. "Not that it's ever been, really."

A familiar hurt panged in his chest. "It doesn't matter-"

His father leveled him with a look. "Are you gay?"

"No, but why-"

"Then it does matter, because that's what people think when they see you wearing nail polish and dancing to that hips woman."

"Shakira," Corey corrected, "her name is Shakira, Dad."

Sighing, his father shook his head. Turned to his mother. "I told you leaving him alone here was a bad idea," he sounded irritated. "Not only does he ruin the house, but this. Behind our backs."

Corey felt his throat tighten, his eyes begin to burn. "Because you get upset when you see it, Dad! What else am I supposed to do?"

"Grow up, for one," he said. "What happened last year didn't earn you a free pass to laze around the house or dress up like a freak whenever you want."

Her husband's cruel words made her wince. Dave had always been harsh on Corey, but he usually didn't go out of his way to be cruel. Today seemed to be one of those bad days. "Dear, we've had a long trip. Maybe we should save this for tomorrow?" Corey had had a rough year, and while Melissa wished she could make things better for him, she didn't exactly know how. Ever since the incident with Sammie, it was as if her sweet boy had turned into another person. "The last few months have been difficult, dear." She was pleading with him not to push their son any further.

"Don't enable him, Melissa," Corey watched silently as his father rubbed at his eyes wearily.

"She's not enabling me," Corey said. Balled his hands into fists, because how dare his dad bring Sammie into this. "You're just- you-... I do chores!" Rarely. "I go to class!" Sometimes. "And I stay away from you." Always. "So why does it matter what I do? A-And the house would have been clean if you hadn't come home earlier without telling me-"

"What matters is this is my house! Even if I can't see you, the neighbors can. You think I like the whispers behind my back?"

"Nobody cares but you and you know it!"

"How do you know what the neighbors think? You never leave the house and talk to them! All you give a damn about is ruining your life."

On some level, his dad was right; Corey really didn't leave home much anymore and he had let his classes slip. "I'm trying to fix everythin-"

His dad scoffed. "By stewing in marijuana smoke and pretending to be a woman?"

Corey ran hands through his hair. "I am not pretending to-!"

"Men don't wear nail polish or join girl's dance teams, Cor-"

"WELL I DO!" His vision blurred and tears rolled down his cheeks. Silence filled the room. Once it seemed the conversation would end there, Corey made for the hallway door. He didn't get far.

"...This is probably why his friends left."

Something ugly buzzed in Corey's chest. "What?"

It was happening again. Her husband and son were arguing and the words between them were growing more hurtful with each new exchange. Dave never really understood Corey, even when it seemed like he was trying to. Getting the two of them to get along was painful, almost like pushing a square peg into a round hole. Everything—their son isolating himself from them and Dave's anger—was painful. It felt like their sweet boy was slowly slipping out of their hands. "Honey," her voice trembled with a silent fury then. "That's enough. Please, leave Corey alone."

She could see how much her son was hurting and it tore her apart. "Sweetie, your father, he… he didn't mean it." How could Dave say something so hurtful when their son's hurt shone so clearly on his face?

As though taking her warning seriously - it wasn't often that he did - Dave stayed silent.

"You're…" Corey tried to hear his mother, but all that swirled in his mind were his father's words. "You're horrible-" He froze. A dark sense of deja vu gripped him and, suddenly, his father's voice belonged to someone else.

I may be fucking horrible, but you're fucking annoying.

Everything blurred together: The walls and furniture of the living room as, of their own accord, Corey's feet carried him to the foyer. With shaking hands he fought to turn the doorknob, the sound of his father calling out to him muffled from the blood pounding in his ears. He threw the door open and slammed it behind him.

So annoying everyone left.

Corey ran. He didn't have an idea on where to go, but he ran. He hated home; hated this neighborhood; hated this town and everything in it.

Everyone left.

Only when his legs started screaming, his lungs burning, did he stop. Sat down at a street corner, the grass damp from recent watering. Or had it stormed last night? Corey didn't know - didn't care. He buried his face in his hands, nails digging into his hairline, and tried not to cry.

He failed.

• Love

Thursday Night
ynBJjxJ.png

His mother wanted to talk. Abel felt the annoyance bubbling underneath the surface—Gavin had told her everything. She hadn't called him out yet, of course, but there was no other reason she would have called him to the dining room for a serious chat. They hadn't spoken - really spoken to each other - in a long while. His mother checked on him every night after dinner, but he could tell she was never really there. She didn't know what to do with him so she retreated into herself and into her work, he didn't blame her. He'd pushed her away when he decided to stop being her inquisitive boy.

Abel placed his hands on the bare table and clenched his fists until his knuckles turned white. Hours had passed since his argument with Corey, but something uncomfortable burned inside his chest. He was still mad. Ever since Corey came waltzing back into his life he'd been thinking nonstop about Sammie and Sea world and everything—he hated it.

"Abel, were you listening?"

His mother's words snapped him out of his daze. He looked up at her worried face and glassy eyes and shook his head. "Sorry, mom. Was just thinking about... stuff."

She nodded mechanically as she sat across from him and tried to smile. "Gavin called this afternoon."

"He did?"

"Do you want to talk about it?" Her tone was a mixture of worry and uncertainty. "Abel." There was gentleness in her voice too, and Abel knew she cared but didn't know what to do. "You know you can talk to me, right? You know that I'll always be here for you... no matter what. You just, you have talk to me so I'll understand." The calm was fading, giving way to desperation and confusion. "I know the last year has been hard on you. If there's anything I can do to make things better..."

"Stop." Abel answered curtly. "Just stop. I... I don't want to talk."

His mom fell silent, hurt and fear written all over her face.

"I'm going to bed." Abel didn't wait for a response, merely shot up to his feet and disappeared into his room before his mother could so much as protest or say a word, he locked the door behind him.

Thursday Night

IXDjVHV.png

"Everything is fine, dad. I just had some free time and needed to come home." The words spilling from her mouth didn't hold an ounce of truth, but she said them anyway because it was the easy and normal thing to do. The past few days had been crazy. If Joane didn't cling to some sort of normalcy, she would lose it. "Where's mom?"

"That's good to hear, kiddo. And you know your mother, she's got a lot of work to finish up at the office." Her dad had been typing away at his computer when she first walked into the living room. 20 minutes had passed and he was still going at it, he barely looked up at her when he spoke. "Is school going alright? You haven't been texting a lot these days."

Joane felt a knot tightening in her stomach. "Things have been hectic, but I've got it under control."

"Good, good. Your mom will be happy to hear that."

Joane fell quiet as the sound of typing filled the empty dinning room. She was getting better and better at lying to their faces and they didn't seem to know a thing. It was scary how effortless it was becoming.

"Are you eating right and taking breaks between studying?" Her dad asked.

"Yep, everything's just great. Don't worry about a thing, dad." Funny, the truth was she'd spent the last hour trying not to have a breakdown in her car.

• Love
Reactions: Cartoonicat
0UboG6Z6F9gnLwqk3Onhh8pGx08ujdUpcB2P5a6VTDt-ZQQlYLOQsgvCbIr6b_1rCXhAvf3XrX4KNfvZQW-QksDPdlAvEvLvBiqf-6h0NWnuJRchpB62ksobqVvRR20SRmE31xK5

The weight of words, foul and meant to hurt, weighed on his chest like an anvil. Why couldn't anyone lighten up? Abel was his best friend; his dad was his dad. They weren't supposed to be against him. They weren't supposed to be his enemies. Times like these made him miss Sammie more than ever before. Her smile could light up a room with her bubbly personality and infectious smile. Whenever she was around, he'd found it difficult to be sad.

Kindred spirits. That's what they had been. Cut from similar cloth, Corey and Sammie were the silly ones; the excitable ones; the happy ones. He spilled a sad, bitter laugh and rubbed his eyes with the palm of his hands. So much for being happy.

But he had been, when Joane showed up today. Despite how awkward things seemed it had given him a glimmer of hope he did not want to let go. He needed something in a world comprised of people so eager to put him down. Joane had always been so sweet, kind. If onlyhe could reach her, make her understand.

He didn't realize his phone was in his pocket until it buzzed with an app notification. Weary, Corey swiped up on the taskbar. Just another birthday reminder for a distant relative that he doubted he'd ever directly talked to before. Closing out of the app, Corey's thumb lingered over the Contact button.

Sniffling, he turned off the display. Would Joane even answer if he tried contacting her? Probably not, after today. Disappointment turned to anger; Why had Kenna chased her off?

His phone buzzed a second time, this one a message. Feeling hopeful he swiped into the threads only to find it not from Joane, nor Kenna or Abel, but his dad. Corey frowned down at the text:

06:21PM
DAD

> You need to come home. The house is a wreck thanks to you. Responsibility, Corey.

Corey's throat tightened again. Not even an apology - just more orders. Yeah, he sometimes made poor decisions, but did Dad really have to remind him of his mistakes every waking moment? This was why they never talked; why Corey avoided him as much as he could. Again, he laughed even darker than before: He learned to avoid his dad, so why couldn't he leave Abel alone?

Tears unhinged, Corey dialed Joane's number. Waited for the rings to send him to voicemail. Twice more he tried, only to be redirected. Desperation bubbled in his chest. It erupted when even Kenna didn't answer.

Two Hours Later​

L6f59qoGBI8Co3F7mO0f3m-1mNUHPar7DiILJMiZeXl-zkkTI1mlQq8yxsqi4o9FXEbxJym-DlbWETN7YBckfKN9Yfv_TorzQudfOL3101FzYnEkk1HJ3UihICbcpguHDjZnYXDI

Kenna felt bad for ignoring Corey, sure. His name had popped up on her phone not long after she'd left - thirty minutes at most - and some part of her did desire to speak with him. Maybe Corey had been on to something: Spend more time with each other and, eventually, the broken pieces would fall back in line. Yet, she'd hit decline.

Kenna didn't have a piece to contribute. Not right then, anyway. Small cracks had begun to splinter it and she feared that if she'd answered the phone, they'd break, and she'd hurt him on the shards. Instead, she'd gone home to try and relax. Try to glue the pieces together enough for her to make that phone call and check up on him.

She didn't expect it to take two hours of vigorous exam prep to take her mind off of things.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

Curled up in her window seat, Kenna pulled her blanket up nearly to her chin. Held the phone to her ear, the ring simultaneously a lull and a hammer to her ribcage. When Corey's voice came through the other end she rested her head against the glass.

"Kenna? Hey!"

He sounded so… "Are you okay?"

"Yeah." Silence. "Erm… sorry for that voicemail I left you. I was, erm-"

"Don't worry about it."

More silence. Uninterrupted, it grew on long enough to be awkward. Long enough for Kenna to clear her throat just to fill the void even though apparently neither one of them knew exactly how to do that permanently. She swallowed. "So-"

"Kenna," the serious tone to his voice had her sitting up straighter. "Kenna, do you see her?"

"See who-"

"Sammie?"

Looking around her room, Kenna shook her head. A heartbeat after doing so she realized Corey couldn't actually see her. Her eyes fell towards the window. "No, I- Wait." Standing by the edge of her winding cobblestone driveway, in front of her grandma's large koi pond, stood Sammie. If Kenna's throat wasn't dry before it certainly was now. "Yes."

"So you see her?" She could hear shuffling from the other line, as if Corey was moving around rapidly. "Really?"

"Yes, Corey-"

"YES!" Kenna held the phone away as Corey whooped into the microphone. Before she knew it, she had risen to her feet and hurried to her own bedroom door. "I was right! Kenna, it's her! It's really her!" More shuffling. The sound of footsteps in her ear. "Sammie! Sam-"

The line went dead just as Kenna flew out her own front door and stumbled, blanket long forgotten, into her driveway. She hardly heard her grandmother calling her; instead, sprinted across the lawn. Somewhere in the back of her mind a voice warned her not to trample Grandma's flower garden, but the damage only registered after Kenna's bare feet kicked up dirt on her way to Sammie.

Sammie.

Sammie who was real.

Sammie who, upon Kenna getting closer, opened her arms as if waiting for a long overdue embrace.

Sammie who disappeared right as Kenna reached her, sending her and her pajamas right into the koi pond.

More water? Kenna hardly had time to think it before arms were pulling her out. One hand held her upright while the other patted her back, eliciting fits of wet coughs until all the water had drained from her lungs.

"Are you okay?" Corey asked.

Nodding, Kenna stepped back. Wiped her eyes. Looked out at the vast expanse of cotton-candy consistency trees, all a bright neon green, and the pale lavender sky overhead. She didn't have to ask where they were - she already knew.

The Other Place.

• Love
IXDjVHV.png

Normal people moved on, so why couldn't she do the same? Joane sat quietly by the dining room table, but her mind was miles away—lost somewhere between the lazy days of high school and the fateful night Sammie decided to down a bottle of pills and end her life. They were best friends and they never noticed a thing.

It still burned in Joane's chest, the sting of Sammie's betrayal.

No secrets, ever.

And yet, Sammie had kept the biggest secret of all, had carried the weight of her problems on her shoulders when each one of them would have gladly helped with the burden. Joane didn't doubt it, back then, they would have done anything for each other. Her thoughts left her quiet enough to prompt her father's suspicion.

The sound of typing stopped. "Joane, are you sure everything is all right?"

"Dad?"

He pushed his thick glasses up the bridge of his nose and frowned sternly, something that told her he'd seen right through her ruse. "You know, you haven't stopped by in awhile, Your mom hasn't been too happy about the lack of calls either, kiddo." He looked at her and, for the first time that evening, Joane noticed the subtle worry in her father's brown eyes. She hadn't noticed how tired he looked either and was taken aback by the sudden development.

"Dad, see... you're doing it again. Worrying. That happened a year ago." Lying through one's teeth was tough work.

"We still worry, Joane."

He was talking about the breakdown she'd had toward the end of senior year. Joane had nearly flunked all her classes, barely managing to pull herself up by her bootstraps and scrape by in time for graduation. There was a brief period of respite after that, but everything came hurtling back at her in full force shortly after. That was when she stopped being a friend to Kenna and Corey and left them—Corey, she'd just gotten him back when she'd left again. No wonder Kenna hated her.

Joane didn't realize she was biting down on her lip until she tasted blood.

"Joane."

"I'm going on a walk, don't worry."

She stood up without looking back and was out the door in a matter of seconds. It was already dark out when Joane cut across the lawn to the sidewalk. In fact, was about to cross the street when a familiar figure waved at her from underneath one of the lampposts. Joane recognized her in a heartbeat, ruffled hair, cheeky grin and all. It was Sammie.

"Joanie," Sammie's tone was sympathetic. "You should stop running from your problems."

Joane did the opposite, and with her heart in her throat, took off into a sprint.

ynBJjxJ.png

Abel drowned out the sound of his mother's voice with the ever-present hum of his electric fan. She'd been knocking for what he assumed was half an hour, and he'd stayed silent throughout the ordeal, ignoring her well-meaning pleas. There was no point, she would never understand. He'd seen Sammie with his very own eyes and he didn't get it either.

"Abel, I worry about you a lot."

His mom was at the end of her rope, and here he was, lying on the floor and staring listlessly at the ceiling. He knew it was cruel to ignore her, but it was easier to be cruel than to get involved in the craziness that was his life. Besides, it wasn't like he could tell her about Sammie. If anything, she'd probably freak and drag him back to his therapist by the collar of his jacket.

"Abel," a familiar voice called.

He flinched then, knowing fully well who the voice belonged to. Was she haunting them? Abel didn't ask, merely pursed his lips as his mind began to race. What did one say to ghosts who refused to leave. "You're not Sammie."

"I'm not?" She was sitting on his bed, smiling that same dorky smile that used to light up his world.

"We were at the hospital when she died." The memory was burned into his brain—he and Corey speeding side by side on their bicycles, shock written all over their pale faces. He and Corey running through the soap-scented halls of St. Peter's Hospital. He and Corey staring at the tear-stained faces of Sammie's parents. Everything.

"So what am I Abel?"

"Proof that I've finally gone crazy."

Sammie laughed, a soft, light-heated giggle. "You always were the most serious one. Why don't you follow me? I need to show you something important."

"You're not real."

"Then follow me, you've got nothing to lose, Abel."

And so he did.

The Other Place

IXDjVHV.png

Joane was the third person to arrive. She appeared out of nowhere and barreled into Corey and Kenna with the mighty force of panic and adrenaline combined. She yelped loudly upon impact, an orange blur of messy hair and flailing limbs. They were lucky enough to hit the ground instead of the lake, but Joane spent the next few seconds flailing as if they were drowning.

It took awhile for the realization to sink in. "Corey? Kenna?"

No. No. No.

They were back. The last thing she remembered was tripping on her shoelaces as she ran. How was she back? "Is this..." The Other Place? Joane struggled to catch her breath. "Are we..." Stuck here? "Are you..." Real?

ynBJjxJ.png

Abel arrived last, entering the other place through a hollow in one of the Cotton Candy Trees. The view before him made his knees grow weak. Sammie was real and she'd brought him back here for a reason. He didn't know what that reason was, but it left him stunned beyond belief. None of this was possible, but it was happening all the same.

What did Sammie want?

His thoughts were cut shot when he heard Joane's unintelligible blabber. All thee of them were there, Corey, Kenna, and Joane. The anger in his chest began to burn hotly at the memory of their encounter at the Espresso Express.

They'd cornered him against his will. The last thing Abel wanted right now was to see them, so he scowled and didn't say a word, opting instead to watch as the train wreck before him played out.

• Love
0UboG6Z6F9gnLwqk3Onhh8pGx08ujdUpcB2P5a6VTDt-ZQQlYLOQsgvCbIr6b_1rCXhAvf3XrX4KNfvZQW-QksDPdlAvEvLvBiqf-6h0NWnuJRchpB62ksobqVvRR20SRmE31xK5

"Joane-!" In a blur, Corey toppled to the ground. Water from Kenna's clothes soaked through the fabric of his shirt and sent a sharp chill up his spine. "Th-that's cold!" He tried wriggling out from the tangle of bodies, goosebumps forming. Ungracefully, Kenna kneed him in the gut while escaping the dog-pile herself. "Oof..." Corey wrapped arms around his midsection, both for warmth and to emphasize the ebbing pain from her bony physique.

Kenna pursued her lips at him. "What are you doing?"

"Withering away," he murmured. At her quirked eyebrow, he elaborated: "You kicked me."

"Oh. Sorry."

The pain had quickly subsided but, at her concerned expression, Corey couldn't bring himself to sit up. He knew that look; Kenna seemed ready to go full Mother Hen on him and... well... he knew it was wrong to lie, even if it was a little one, but he craved the attention. From Kenna, from Joane, from Abel... from Sammie.

Anyone.

Lying was wrong, but was it wrong to want to be loved?

The concerned look on Kenna's face shifted to suspicion, then quickly irritation. How she managed to see through his own mask was beyond him, considering the girl couldn't lie to save her life, but it seemed she had. Mom Friend powers, he guessed. "Get up, you're fine," Kenna told him at last. And she was right; it didn't actually hurt anymore. But Corey wanted to milk whatever attention he could get and he really was pretty cold now.

Pouting up at her, he sniffled dramatically. Watched her inner struggle - his puppy dog eyes had never worked on Kenna, but that didn't mean she was totally immune - before standing up without attending to him. He visibly deflated. So much for that, then. Hopefully, his eyes turned to Joane.

L6f59qoGBI8Co3F7mO0f3m-1mNUHPar7DiILJMiZeXl-zkkTI1mlQq8yxsqi4o9FXEbxJym-DlbWETN7YBckfKN9Yfv_TorzQudfOL3101FzYnEkk1HJ3UihICbcpguHDjZnYXDI

Rising to her feet, Kenna balled the lower fabric of her shirt and wrung out dribbles of water. Did the same with her hair, which did little to ease the heaviness the water-weight had caused. She could sense a future headache if she didn't find a way to tie it up soon... but that was the least of her problems. Leaving Corey and Joane to stand up on their own, Kenna focused on their surroundings.

The Other Place.

They weren't getting anywhere with Abel and Joane had decided to run from her problems. Was that why Sammie lured them here again? Was Corey right, thinking she wanted to piece together their shattered friendship? It'd never be whole again, not with Sammie gone, but... Kenna chewed the inside of her cheek. Subtle, unnoticeable to anyone not looking, but enough to ground her.

This was not a dream. It was not reality. It was... something else.

She was spiritual, religious - whatever one wanted to call it. Kenna believed in a higher power. In God. She also believed in demons, the devil, unholy apparitions and spirits intent on doing harm. Sammie had become something after death, that much was obvious.

Kenna just didn't know what that was yet. Didn't know where they were.

Purgatory?
Heaven?

...or Hell?

"Abel should be here," she speculated aloud. Considering Joane had been tossed into the fray with them so soon after the scene outside Corey's house, Kenna doubted the argument at Espresso Express would deter Sammie from doing the same to Abel. They needed to find him. Now.

Not just for Sammie's sake, but Abel's, too.

• Love

64OlnwsI6bxLxyijfgwgNfQPrWe8dWNKj3miAruUQAll9lb4CecS4Zi_zBN8Liown32Xs7RoIF7QmrigKbAIzM8sMmAaYcRXQ7So_LeakhgO3vd_edDCVxiCKkkb8wVcge485R5i

Worry cut across her features, sharp and sudden, the same way she'd collided into Corey and Kenna. However, the feelings were short-lived and went away as soon as she realized that the blonde was perfectly fine. She exhaled then, trying her darndest to calm her nerves.

They were in the other place again. Everything around them was crazy, and yet, there was no longer any way to deny the truth. Standing, Joane wrapped her arms around herself and pursed her lips. In a way, the world seemed to be caving inward.

Pull yourself together.

Wild eyes focused on Kenna and Corey, purposely avoiding the surreal landscape in favor of familiar faces. They were just as terrified as her, even if Kenna did a better job of holding things together. She brought up Abel's name just as their other stepped out from the hollow of a tree.

Abel was looking at them, but the scorn in his eyes made it seem as if he wished they were never there in the first place. He avoided looking at Corey all together, opting to set his sights on the girls standing beside him.

g--9Y_X5c-poPb3iVN1eD6TR0914OFfr589UySF8-XKgSK_3KN8TBwTgtpqYuHBKDBpxKbkxGWOy64mtOrypSWIb51wanMMdpAqaB_CKUKVBgFxcNtphwayrwAcLyW02G--dOzF5

In her peripheral vision, she noted Corey standing up with a sigh. Cross his arms, body shaking. He'd never been good with chilly weather and part of her felt guilty for treating him so coldly when he obviously wanted attention. That was her fault, wasn't it? His need for validation and care?

Their fault.

Your fault, she thought, eyes catching on Abel's familiar face as he stepped from the center of a hollow tree. An odd mix of relief and disdain filled her; she was glad to have tabs on him in such an unorthodox, potentially dangerous place, but the look on his face gave her the itch to slap it off. Especially with the way he blatantly avoided Corey's gaze, which had done nothing but seek his like a lost puppy.

That boy would never learn.

Thankfully, she practiced composure on a daily. Be it annoying classmates, teachers, doctors, or people in general, Kenna often bit her tongue in conversations. She knew how to play the game.

Sort of.

She wasn't going to lie and say she had the best control over her emotions recently. Her old friends' presence made her raw, vulnerable, and the weird stuff happening with Sammie did not help whatsoever. Part of her wondered if she'd never actually woken up after her fainting spell. That her body still lay in a hospital bed, her mind subject to one long, awful dream.

A dream - rather, nightmare - would be far better an explanation than the ghost of Sammie dragging their souls through spiritual planes, though.

"And we're all here," she said. Regardless of where they were, she wanted out. "Again. Aside from Corey-"

"-Hey, my theory isn't bad-" The blonde protested.

"-Anyone wonder why?" Maybe if they knew why this kept happening, they could find a way out. Find a way to prevent it from happening again.

iPMt8jurYy0MvyfBWufC7sqSbaMqsrm75i92x-_kAu_z2lhl6g1Wv2-m5NsstCnt5X5hmikd8T2Kuktw1feBmNJ2g6Ck_6-twO41aMFjDm-VR2QTnnSCLxDJeD8pvYy2oLNWlzUz

Kenna's words brought him stumbling back to reality. Everything always went back to Sammie, and Abel genuinely didn't know what to feel. The thought of her - he knew it wasn't her of course, he was as gullible as Corey, but still, the idea of their dead best friend coming back from the afterlife didn't sit well with him. It left him sad and confused, and just plain angry. It were as if all his emotions didn't know what to do or where to go, so they left him tired and furious.

He noticed the way Kenna was staring at him, Corey too. Abel wasn't stupid, he knew she was upset. He ignored Corey rather cruelly and locked eyes with Kenna. She could glower at him all she wanted, it wouldn't make him apologize and it wouldn't make things right.

Annoyed, he sucked on the back of his teeth.

Considering their current circumstances, the logical thing to do was play along and try to get to the bottom of things, but he was still seething with anger. "Maybe we're in hell because we've been shitty people. Sammie feels betrayed and wants us to suffer."

When no one answered Abel scoffed.

"I don't know why we're here Kenna. I doubt anyone else knows either."

XdfKK38tsOqLkRdZuMVLXWEcXgnqX_IslyVo-80MGc3ZzMJNdlqKgg9KBlkwQ_PwB46JOpQrD4d-2B66cpDC00XrIJHms--lVznFSolzA7RGxiKcZZ0G-aHXmhZ_nUiWJi8ttp5S

Sensing the growing tension, Joane hesitantly decided to join in. The way Abel and Kenna were staring at each other didn't bode well for the group. The last thing they needed was another Espresso Express fiasco. "Maybe Corey is right, maybe Sammie wants us to make things right. It's what she's been telling us since she first appeared."

At this point Joane was grasping at straws. It was the only thing they had to go on.

Abel continued to frown before he cut into the conversation once more. He didn't seem to care about being rude or hurting anyone's feelings. "You two really believe that? Listen to yourselves, you're saying Sammie came back from the dead because friendship is magic and all that bullshit. Kenna, you can't seriously be buying this. You're too smart to believe this."

S1kKyB4-jmdGXEszfl4gfiLXSh7st0DyfO613LxZjvKDtUGuIVf65nMqryyB8ub9is9LtiEeuRcLmx-IgurKTWT_sxEe4CC6ugmkRGgSGfGEUPIiS4CkBrr5SxIEsnWGym7Rfggf

Corey opened his mouth to thank Joane for being the only one thus far to actually give his theory a chance, but Abel cut him off with more negativity. Every word that came out of his mouth was so nasty, so cruel, and Corey's patience was growing thin.

If only he didn't care about Abel so much, things would be easier. He'd be able to confidently put that asshole in his place. But, no. Abel's words only silenced him.

Thankfully Kenna was there to deal with his attitude.

"I don't know what to believe," she told Abel. The look on her face indicated her thinning patience, yet something else flickered in her eyes. Corey didn't know what to name it. A waver in confidence? Concern? Neither description seemed to do what he saw justice, but the emotion was gone as quickly as it came. He wondered if anyone else noticed it, too. "But something is definitely going on and whatever it is has to do with Sammie."

Corey pinched the bridge of his nose with irritation. "How many times does Sammie have to say 'talk to the others' for you guys to realize she wants us to be friends again?" He understood Abel's stance - his old friend had made it his personal mission to be as difficult as possible - but Kenna had always been a smart girl. Surely she'd picked up on the meaning of all this from the very beginning.

So why… "Why are you pretending that's not the case?"

There it was, that flash of indiscernible emotion in Kenna's eyes. She looked like she wanted to say something - Corey recognized the way she sucked in a breath and held it - but eventually her shoulders dropped and she looked away. She didn't have an answer.

That's what he thought.

34dNXUxdykiHRSb8wt3io4Oo1ZQ-V2dM96pvrgKnxxKeBZYr0o8x9-q6Asb9G5ujYRzXTBbfGSTgcpaMIanstx2btKiJ8oIr4Ij8lsYru7qZNbd8a7dDUjhsL2bMB_UQVFIPFvYE

Tension ran high and Kenna feared, if she voiced her concerns, it would only make things worse. What if that's not our Sammie? What if it's all a trick? She didn't believe Abel's suggestion about Hell; The Other Place was not the Hell her Bible depicted and she highly doubted Sammie hated them enough for their negligence, no matter how cruel, to damn them.

Abel was just being a smart-ass.

Joane and Corey were being naive.

"We should try finding a way out," she said after a time. Kenna would keep her doubts private for now. There was no need to stir an already boiling pot of bad vibes. "How did-"

Corey shook his head vigorously. "No, no! We need to find Sammie. She keeps bringing us here for a reason, so why don't we just ask her?"

"Corey," Kenna started. She didn't like being interrupted and it took everything in her not to slam him with the idea that this Sammie might not have the best of intentions. Kenna had always been practical despite her superstitious upbringing; she didn't feel like having that thrown in her face by someone who was too quick to trust. "We don't know this place. It could be dangerous."

He nodded, "Which is exactly why we need to find Sammie, not get lost trying to find a way out. Sammie can help us. She's the one who brought us here."

Inhaling sharply, Kenna considered their options. A vote wouldn't work; Abel and Kenna had made their opinions of the situation clear, as had Joane and Corey. It'd end up a tie with no breaker.

"Fine," she relented. "Fine, we'll do it your way. But we stick together." Kenna glanced pointedly at Abel for the last statement. She didn't trust him to stay without complaint and the prospect of the group separating in The Other Place gripped her with more anxiety than following Corey's plan.

iPMt8jurYy0MvyfBWufC7sqSbaMqsrm75i92x-_kAu_z2lhl6g1Wv2-m5NsstCnt5X5hmikd8T2Kuktw1feBmNJ2g6Ck_6-twO41aMFjDm-VR2QTnnSCLxDJeD8pvYy2oLNWlzUz

Abel was far from happy, and when Kenna – the most responsible and reliable person in their group – agreed to do things Corey's way, something inside of him snapped. "Seriously?" His voice was practically seething with loathing. "You're doing it again. Humoring him because… because you feel sorry for him." Abel threw out his arms, eyebrows furrowed together in utmost irritation. "Kenna, what the fuck?"

The Other Place and everything around them screamed madness, but even in the midst of it all, Abel found it difficult to believe that Sammie would come back from the dead just because she wanted to mend their friendship. Even the idea of her haunting them was more believable.

Or maybe he'd grown far too cynical for his own good.

S1kKyB4-jmdGXEszfl4gfiLXSh7st0DyfO613LxZjvKDtUGuIVf65nMqryyB8ub9is9LtiEeuRcLmx-IgurKTWT_sxEe4CC6ugmkRGgSGfGEUPIiS4CkBrr5SxIEsnWGym7Rfggf

"Hey," Corey took a step in front of Kenna to act as a shield against Abel's words, "Don't speak to her like that." He knew she didn't need protecting - Kenna knew how to take care of herself just fine - yet it didn't stop his feet from acting of their own accord, didn't stop his chest from beating with indignant confidence.

Kenna scowled. "Corey-"

So he did have a spine? For the first time since they'd arrived, he looked at Corey directly – acknowledged his existence with irritation. "I wasn't talking to you, but if want to have another go at me, say what you need to say." The Espresso Express Fiasco ended up with Corey snivelling like a baby. If he wanted a repeat of that, Abel was more than happy to accommodate him. "Listen to yourself," he practically snapped. "Don't you… you seriously don't hear how stupid you sound?" He wanted to grab Corey by the collar of his shirt and shake him until a semblance of sense knocked itself into the boy's naïve head. The tension in the air was palpable and Abel clenched his fists until his knuckles turned white.

Abel wasn't just angry, he was hurting too. Everything Corey did – the way he so blithely believed that things would be okay – picked at Abel's unhealed wounds, and perhaps, that was the reason it was so easy to be cruel, to hate.

"We're not going to find Sammie. Don't you get it? She's dead. She's dead because of us."

64OlnwsI6bxLxyijfgwgNfQPrWe8dWNKj3miAruUQAll9lb4CecS4Zi_zBN8Liown32Xs7RoIF7QmrigKbAIzM8sMmAaYcRXQ7So_LeakhgO3vd_edDCVxiCKkkb8wVcge485R5i

Joane had had enough. The more Abel spoke, the more things began to unravel. Their friendship was in shambles, held together by nothing more than the memory of a dead girl. And in the heat of the argument, it became painfully clear – they weren't friends anymore – they were just four strangers bound together by the tragedy that was Sammie's suicide.

"Abel! Stop! Just – please, just shut up for five seconds!"

"Don't pretend you're better than me!" Abel snapped back without so much as skipping a beat. "You left them too. The only difference is I tell them how I feel to their faces."

"I-" All the words Joane wanted to say died in her throat, and suddenly, the tears came. "You're terrible."

"At least I don't try to fix my problems by believing in ghosts."

The confidence turned false once Abel addressed him. Eye contact threatened to break the spell, but Corey knew if he looked away, it'd all shatter anyway. He'd taken that step forward; he'd protected Kenna after years of her playing guardian; he'd stood up to Abel.

Now it was time to stand his ground.

"Yeah," he said simply, "we fucked up." His bluntness surprised even himself, summoning a tightness in his throat that he had to swallow back, a burning in his eyes he blinked away. "We know that and we're all miserable."

"Corey, just-" Kenna tried to intervene again, but he barreled through.

"But at least the three of us aren't trying to drag people down to our level." Corey's voice rang steadier than he felt. "You're pretty fucking pathetic, Abel, so don't point fingers."

There was no more turning back.

This boy, who had once been his best friend, was dead to him. "I'm not the one trying to keep a sinking ship afloat. I walked out. You're the one who's still holding on." He'd tightened his jaw then, all taut muscle and restrained emotions. Corey wanted him to feel something, to soften his heart so everything would be okay. He knew how his ex-friend's mind worked, he knew Corey.

"Because Sammie is our friend!" Corey protested.

Instead of reacting the way his friend expected him to, Abel smiled mockingly. It was hurting him too, but he knew it would hurt Corey even more. "When will you get it through your thick skull Corey. I don't want to find Sammie. I don't want to be a part of this. Geez, not even your dad wants anything to do with you." If anger wouldn't work, he'd drown Corey in cruelty. He would hit his friend right where it hurt the most. "Who's more pathetic really?"

Not even your dad wants anything to do with you.

The words stopped Corey in his tracks. Derailed his mind like a twisted cartoon character pulling the lever, sending the train in the opposite direction.

Who's more pathetic, really?

A lifetime of memories and emotions passed through Corey's mind in the manner of seconds. Being snubbed, name-called, punished and shamed. The feeling of never being good enough, of hating himself. The desire to be someone else; to be someone worth loving. The hatred he felt towards his dad for making him that way.

He took that hatred and aimed it at Abel.

The impact of knuckles colliding with cheekbone sent a rush through Corey he didn't think he'd ever felt before. It was better than any scream, any cry, any violent slam of his bedroom door. Better than any high. A small weight had lifted from his shoulders and he craved more.

Rearing his arm back again, Kenna's voice cut through the haze:

"COREY!"

He stopped dead in his tracks, realizing too late what he'd done. His eyes widened. Corey had just punched Abel.

Oh, shit.

Pain erupted across his cheek and his ears rang loudly, but amid the noise, Abel had found a semblance of peace. There was a finality to the blow, something that quietly said that 'this was it' that 'eight years of friendship had finally come to an end.' It was almost freeing - a mishmash of guilt and release.

His body pitched backward, but Abel caught himself and staggered forward instead, cheek a bright red from his friend's angry blow. Corey was a statue, hatred practically carved onto his usually soft features. He'd done this. He'd pushed Corey and finally gotten what he wanted.

"If you're gunna start something," Abel slurred. "At least finish it. You're a coward, Corey." And then Abel was throwing his weight forward, his own arm swinging blindly until his fist collided with the bridge of Corey's nose.

Everything came rushing out. Pain, guilt, hate.

Abel pulled his arm back and swung again, this time catching his friend in the stomach. Joane and Kenna were screaming, but all he could hear was the loud ringing in his ears and the judgmental voice that told him it was Corey's fault. Fucking Corey who wouldn't let the dead stay dead. "Hit back!" Abel screamed. "Hit back!"

The crunch of cartilage was the last thing Corey noticed before all hell broke loose. He hadn't the time to think about much else - not the blood dripping from his nose, not the fact that Abel had hit him, not what to do next - before another fist crashed into his stomach that sent his breath running.

Instead of back down; instead of apologizing or plead forgiveness; instead of continuing being Abel's figurative and literal punching bag, he snapped. White-hot rage drowned out the girls' voices, suffocated the guilt of hitting his childhood best friend.

"Fine!" Corey lunged forward, fingers digging into the shoulder of Abel's shirt-sleeve and pulling him into a punch that hurt his own wrist. He ignored it, though - adrenaline was a hell of a drug - and grabbed Abel's hair in an attempt to throw him to the ground.

The Other Place and everything else around him faded away, there was only Corey and the need to rid himself of all the negative emotions that threatened to tear him up from the inside. Corey's blows were nothing in comparison to the raw pain of seeing Sammie again. Abel welcomed the blows, screaming loudly as his own fingers reached for Corey's arms. It didn't take long for both boys to wind up on the ground, and soon enough, they were rolling in the dirt like savages.

"Corey! Abel! Stop!"

It was all useless, and Joane watched helplessly as the boys exchanged blow after blow after blow. "Kenna? What do we do?" In that moment, it was as if they were seven again. Kenna had the answers, Kenna could fix things. Joane though, she was a deer-in-headlights.

34dNXUxdykiHRSb8wt3io4Oo1ZQ-V2dM96pvrgKnxxKeBZYr0o8x9-q6Asb9G5ujYRzXTBbfGSTgcpaMIanstx2btKiJ8oIr4Ij8lsYru7qZNbd8a7dDUjhsL2bMB_UQVFIPFvYE

With their building hostility over the last year, Kenna should have known her screams and pleads wouldn't have stopped the fighting; this fight was a long time coming and wouldn't end on her account. What could she do, though? What could she-

"Shut up!" She snapped at Joane, the girl's voice constantly distracting her. Stressing her out. Kenna worked well under pressure, but the stress was a different story. It's why she threw herself into lacrosse and her studies instead of acknowledging how Sammie's death made her feel. She couldn't handle the stress, so she avoided it.

She couldn't avoid it now.

"I- They-" Her eyes flitted left and right, up and down, looking for answers as if they'd magically appear out of the soil, the sky, the water. "The-... the water." She looked down at herself, scrawnier than she'd ever been and soaking wet from landing in the pond.

Kenna's Grandmother had always warned her against getting between two fighting dogs. Told her that it was more likely she herself would get hurt than stop the battle. When it came to violence, it was best to just stay away. Protect yourself. Kenna had listened, until now.

"Abel, stop-" just as she grabbed him a sharp pain crackled across her nose, sending her backward with a yelp. Kenna's nose throbbed terribly, and so did her temper.

She liked to think herself a smart person. Someone who thinks before acting or speaking. Sure, she was prone to unhealthy levels of stress and poor stress management, but she had a good head on her shoulders.

Still, a smart person wouldn't try separating two dogs after getting bitten the first time.

"GET-" Kenna grabbed one of Abel's flailing hands and yanked the back of his shirt, "-OFF!"

Abel was so caught up in the chaos of it all, that he hadn't even noticed he'd hit Kenna. Everything around him seemed to be nonexistent, at least, until strong fingers wrapped themselves around his arms and held him back. Abel found himself being hauled off of Corey by a very angry Kenna. It cleared his head a little and lifted him from the haze of his hatred.

"Get off!" He snapped but she held firm and he stopped fighting.

He was mad at her too, but Corey was the one he wanted to hurt. Just Corey. Abel was about to throw another slew of insults at his ex-friend, but the words died in his mouth as the world around them began to cave inward.

Just like the Sea World memory…

As reality folded in at the edges, Abel started to feel sick. Suddenly, they were back in familiar territory - Sammie's room.

It was the night of their first sleepover together. He could tell because he and Corey had brought matching walkie-talkies and had built a pillow fort in preparation for the late-night board games. Except in the memory before them, they weren't happy. Sammie and Corey were fighting about something. The words were muffled at first, but as the room materialized around them, the scene became clearer and clearer.

Kenna had been this close to smacking Abel upside the head. Boy, did she want to. Picking at each other's insecurities was one thing, but a full on fist fight? They both deserved an ass-whooping like no other.

"Back off!" Her nostrils flared as Corey came after Abel. His eyes went saucer-wide and he looked between the two before slowly taking a step back. Blood trickled from his nose, staining his lips and teeth red. Worry gnawed at her gut. Both of them were going to need patching up and the sudden throbbing of her nose reminded Kenna that an ice-pack would do her some good, too.

Grandma had been right - Kenna got bitten by the dogs - but the reward outweighed the consequences: The fight was over.

...But the war was not.

Around them, the Other Place began to shift inward. Her iron-grip loosened only to tighten again when the world folded in on itself. Abel's shoulder steadied her until they reappeared in Sammie's room. Again. Her temples pulsed with an oncoming headache.

The headache turned to nausea when she saw Sammie and Corey fighting. It felt odd, the scene before her. She'd never seen Corey and Sammie argue so openly before. "When was this…?"

A glance at her younger self in the corner of the room told her everything she needed to know: The sloppy, loose cornrows decorated with tacky barretts and Sammie's butterfly hair clips. Grandmother had never let her cut, dye, or style her hair… so Corey had offered to braid it for her at their first group sleepover.

"You said we could stay over, though!" Vision-Corey frowned, "Sammie, we've been planning this. Abel and I brought so much stuff and-"

"I know, Corey, but my parents said no..."

"Come on, Sammie. Can't you talk to them? Please?"

This was not how Kenna remembered that night at all.

Kenna's sharp reprimand was all it took to silence Joane. The girl recoiled instantly, as if she were someone who'd suddenly been burned by a hot stove. Why was she always so useless? Abel and Corey were beating each other senseless and she was crying. She knew it was stupid. She knew she ought to help Kenna and do something - anything, and yet, she couldn't stop. The tears continued to streak down her cheeks as she watched things unfold from the sidelines.

After Sammie died, something inside of her broke. It was the same for her friends, Joane understood that, but she couldn't bounce back like them - couldn't pretend to be okay like Kenna, or shrug things off with a grin the way Corey did. She just stopped, grew more and more detached from everyone and everything as the world continued to spin.

In fact, she'd spent the last year and a half just stumbling through her daily routine, a passive thing that life could shake around every now and then. It was fucking awful, and yet, she never did anything about it either. That was the thing Joane hated the most about herself.

It was a self-made hole she couldn't haul herself out of, so she watched - as always - as Corey and Sammie argued on the night of their first sleepover. The memory was odd, fuzzy in the way dreams often were, but it was so true-to-life that she didn't bother to question it.

"Our first sleepover?" Her voice was ghostly almost.

"Just another thing Corey messed up," Abel spat.

His mind was in shambled, ears still ringing and blood still rushing from the fight. It made him malleable and Abel believed everything that played out before them - the fight, Sammie getting into an argument with her parents, Corey whining like the baby he was.

Abel believed all of it and it only strengthened his hatred.

"But… I don't remember this," Joane continued.

Abel ignored her, instead going in for the kill. "If Sammie came back to fix our friendships, why the hell would she show us this?" Even the sea world memory had been far from encouraging. Corey's friendship was magic theory had been officially tossed out the window.

Seeing that the damage had been done, Sammie's room faded away once more. Once again, the four of them were back in the real world, to be specific, the park. It was three in the morning and the place was practically empty.

No. He didn't. He couldn't have… could he? Corey knew himself to be pushy sometimes, but never like that. Never with Sammie. It wasn't how he remembered that night at all, but if Sammie had shown it to them, it must have been true.

They were her memories, after all.

"I-..." he hadn't a chance to speak before Abel was coming at him with painful words and a logic Corey wished didn't seem so valid. He swallowed thickly, throat burning. The wake-up call hurt worse than the throbbing of his left eye and busted lower lip combined.

Abel was right.

How could Corey argue now?

The room began to melt away and with it Corey's confidence. Trees and grass and flowered shrubs materialized around him along with a wind that whipped his hair unkempt. He felt hollow. "I don't understand," he said. "What does she want, then?"

Ghost. Haunting. Hates us.

As wild as his Friendship is Magic theory seemed now, Corey shook his head; Sammie was their friend. She loved them.

… Right?

Shifting between worlds left Kenna's stomach churning - or had that been the memory's doing? If I can call it that… Kenna recalled that night as fun, uplifting. Not… that. Yet, she still could not bring herself to say anything. Could not comfort Corey, could not assuage the fear in her own gut that maybe Abel had been right all along.

Kenna had always been observant. She noticed things and retained information that others did not. She had also been stifled, caged like a bird yearning to stretch her wings, and that night had offered her something she'd never quite tasted before: Freedom. Perhaps she'd been too caught up in the feeling of flight to notice what had gone on around her.

She hadn't noticed Sammie's pain at the amusement park.

She hadn't noticed her struggle at the sleepover.

The weight on her shoulders gained several pounds as Corey asked a question they all wanted answers to. Why?

Ding! Ding! Ding! The park clock chimed three in the morning and Kenna's heart dropped further.

"It's late." Her grandmother was going to kill her, and to think she didn't know Kenna had been gone all this time would be too optimistic, even for Corey. "We should head home."

"But-"

Kenna held up a hand to silence him. She didn't want to hear anymore. Not tonight. "I have to get home," she emphasized. Pushed the curls out of her eyes, wind aggressive, only to falter. "Corey, you're face-"

He shot a glare in the direction of Abel's feet.

"-Is healed," Kenna said.

Corey's brows shot to his hairline; his head whipped upwards; his eyes met Abel's. Scanned his face only to find that the black eye Corey was certain Abel'd be sporting the next day looked perfectly fine. Come to think of it… Corey touched his own face.

His eyes widened: "It doesn't hurt."

It were as if nothing had happened.

Abel's lips pulled into a tight frown. The Other place was illogical from the beginning, but this was the first time they'd noticed how it affected them physically. All traces of the fight he had with Corey were gone, and his ex-friend was right, it didn't hurt. At least, not physically.

They were all still reeling from the memory ghost Sammie had decided to show them. Why? It was a question they all wanted answers to. Was Sammie mad? Was it to spite them? Nothing positive had come out of her return, in fact, all Sammie had done was reopen old wounds. They were hurting now more than ever, and the only thing that made sense was Kenna's advice to go home.

Abel bit down on his lip and tried to calm the storm raging in his chest.

"She's right. We should go. Sammie hates us, and Corey is a fuck-up. That's clear enough."

Abel didn't wait for anyone to say anything, and just like that, he stormed off.

Joane wiped away at her tears as Abel stormed off without them. There was no point in trying to stop Abel. If anything, it would only lead to another Espresso Express Fiasco. They'd already seen enough chaos tonight. Instead, she reached for Corey's arm and gave him what she hoped was a comforting gesture.

I'm sorry, it said.

The memory Sammie had shown to them left a bitter taste in her mouth, and she could only imagine how awful it must have been for Corey. Joane still found the series of events difficult to believe, but they'd seen it play out before their own eyes.

"Corey…"

Don't ask him if he's okay, idiot. He's obviously not.

"We should… we should go. It's late, Corey."

Joane kept her hand on his arm, because it was far easier to do that than to ask him how he felt. She didn't think she could deal with the rawness of his emotions. It was selfish, but it was also self-preservation. "Kenna's right. It's really late."

• Love

Monday, 4:37 AM​

Abel wanted to die.

It wasn't exactly a secret, in fact, it was something he'd been mulling over for months on end. Everything sucked and he wanted out - his dead best friend was haunting him and he didn't want to endure the heartbreak anymore. It was a simple formula, one that he contemplated on as he dragged his feet across the pavement on his way home. The streets were mostly empty, occasionally Abel would run into a person or two, but for the most part it was just him and the soft orange glow of the streetlamps by the sidewalks.

It was almost peaceful, but his fistfight with Corey and the memory of Sammie left a storm raging in his chest.

Why couldn't they just leave him alone? He hadn't exactly been doing too great before Corey and friends forced their way back into his life, but he felt like he was at least dealing with things in his own way. Now that they were back, he was confused, angry, and worse off now than he was before. If they really cared about him, they would respect him and just step out of his life like he wanted them to. They didn't have to be friends forever, that illusion was shattered the night Sammie swallowed an entire bottle of Tylenol without so much as telling them why.

She was the happiest girl he knew, so why?

It was a question that could no longer be answered. But still, he thought Sammie trusted them more that that - thought she knew that they would have carried the weight of the world on their shoulders for her if she wanted them to.

They would have...

As Abel crossed the street and made his way inside his apartment building, he found that his vision had grown blurry with tears. As much as liked to pretend he didn't care about Corey, or Kenna, or Joane, he did care. It just wasn't a pleasant feeling when he knew their friendship would never be the same again. They could pretend all they liked, but the core was rotten beyond repair.

He made his way up the stairs and all the way to the 11th of floor. Abel unlocked the door to room 11G, only to run into his waiting mother.

Misha_Simmons.png

"Abel, we were supposed to see Dr. Gibbins today. Where have you been, are you... are you okay, honey?"

It was far easier to be cruel than to tell the truth.

"Just go away, mom. I'm tired." Abel expected her to leave, or to plead with him like she'd done so many times in the past month. She didn't do either of those things. Instead, she walked up to him and enveloped him in a warm embrace. It was disarming and warm.

She was hurting too. He was hurting her. He was the source of all this and he hated it—he hated himself.

"I always worry, Abel. Why don't you ever talk to me?"

Abel wanted to pull away, but in the face of kindness, his walls came tumbling down. He wept on his mother's shoulder, and for the first time in a long time, allowed himself to feel just how much everything hurt.

Thursday Night​

What day was it even?

Everything that happened after Corey and Abel's fistfight at the park had melded together into one big, blurry mess. Joane groaned as she threw off her blanket and reached blindly for her phone. Unable to find it on her nightstand, she sat up and rubbed the sleep out of her swollen eyes. It was already dark out - another day absofuckinglutely wasted. She'd attended like one class since Monday. What was she doing?

Tired, Joane looked around her room and took stock of the mess that it had become - the calendar read 'July' even though they were already late into August, there was leftover Chinese on her coffee table, her clothes had been heaped into a pile in the corner, bottles of cheap gin were toppled over on the floor—everything was in shambles. Appropriate, just like her life.

The owl-shaped wall clock read 9:35 pm and everything felt awful. Her mouth was dry and hurting, her head was throbbing like a drum, and even though the godawful feeling was distracting her from the craziness that was Sammie's reappearance, it wasn't enough.

She sat up and prepared to throw haul herself into the bathroom when she noticed the wall mirror to her right.

It had lasted a fraction of a second, and yet, it rooted her in place.

Sammie.

Just like the night she fell through the mirror.

Joane's heart leaped into her throat, thudding and thudding until it was getting harder to think straight and until she forgot how to breathe. And then, all the tension was released when someone began knocking on her door.

Shakily, she made her to the door and opened it slightly. She was surprised to see a familiar face standing on the other side.

uv69i8P.png

"Hey," Richmond greeted. "You didn't show up to class all week and Professor Lee was looking for you, said you had two more absences to spare. He's kind of pissed you didn't turn in that paper, and I think he'll flunk you if you keep ditching." There was an awkward pause, Richmond obviously wasn't too thrilled to be the bearer of bad news. "Also, I sent you five texts and you weren't answering so Lia from History told me where you lived." He fumbled with the sleeves of his jacket. "Is this a bad time?"

Are you alright? The question seemed to hang in the air.

Come to think of it, he'd only ever run into Joane at the local dive bar. It'd been ages since he'd actually seen her in their shared History and Sociology classes. They started texting here and there after they bumped into each other the second time, and they'd gone out to grab food twice but she was as ghostly as it got. He placed a hand on the door when she didn't say much and the smell of alcohol made him, unwittingly, scrunch up his nose. He stopped when he caught himself. Something wasn't right.

"I brought you some notes. I don't know if it'll help much, but I figured you had some catching up to do."

"Thanks for the notes." Joane wasn't sure what to do, so she tried to pretend things were fine as always. "Yeah, I guess I've fallen really behind. I'm making progress with the paper, it just hasn't been going too well, but it'll be okay. I just need more sources and an interview with someone... it's happening. You really didn't have to stop by."

"Joane. I think you're seriously going to fail if you don't show up to class. I know we're in college and we've got the freedom to skip and all, but I haven't seen you in Prof. Lee's or Prof. Hayn's classes since June."

Joane knew Richmond was right. It would only be a matter of time before everything came tumbling down. "I..."

"Is everything okay?" Richmond finally decided that things weren't and that he ought to ask. "Can I come in?"

Joane wanted to tell him to go home, but the words wouldn't leave her mouth. After everything that had happened, a part of her did crave what Richmond was offering - a listening ear and a possible shoulder to lean on.

She told him about Sammie that night.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love

Monday 3:21AM

A dim glow shined through the living room window, letting Kenna know Grandma was awake. She crouched on the sidewalk, hidden from view by the estate's carefully tended hedge, and held her head in her hands. Sprinting from the park to home had meant nothing; she'd been caught before she even tried to sneak in.

Shame pricked her skin, raising the tiny hairs against her t-shirt and jeans. Kenna never stayed out so late before without permission, because God forbid-

The front door clicked opened and she froze.

"Kenna?"

No, no, no no no, please-

"I can see your shadow."

Mentally cursing the streetlamp above her, Kenna slowly stood to face her grandmother. Found it hard to meet her eyes, to face the disappointment there. Unknowing what to say, she kept quiet.

The lines around Grandma Johnson's mouth only deepened with a frown. "Inside. Now."

Without a word, Kenna skirted around the hedge that outlined their estate and stepped up to the porch. Passed her grandmother's icy stare and the ornate double-door their multi-story home boasted. She didn't stop walking until she reached the dining room entryway, only to halt at her Grandma's voice when she passed the stairs: "Where are you going?"

"To the..." Was she not supposed to go to the dining room? Kenna expected a long-winded lecture about responsibility and curfew. All of their family talks took place at the dining room table between meals.

"It is nearly four in the morning. I'm not wasting an entire night telling you what you've obviously done wrong," Grandma Johnson said. "Now get to bed. We'll talk about this tomorrow."

Somehow, the looming threat of a family talk the following night weighed heavier than coming home past curfew.

Monday 3:44AM

Somewhere along the line, his dad stopped bothering to him for coming home past midnight. He didn't even wait up. Normally Corey would appreciate the quiet but after what happened with Abel he wanted nothing more than to hear a voice that wasn't his own, even if it reminded him how much of a fuck-up he was.

His mom sat on the living room couch, curled up against the arm, and the lack of book in her hand told Corey she'd not just fallen asleep reading. He liked to think it was something as sweet as her waiting for his safe return; he didn't want to think about his parent's ever-growing arguments that often escalated to Mom sleeping downstairs.

Before heading to his room, Corey draped a blanket over his mom's shoulders and mumbled an apology too quiet to wake her.

Tuesday Night

Kenna fell into bed without bothering to change. Pulled the covers up over her head. Shame rolled off her skin in heat waves, suffocating her beneath the blankets, but she didn't resurface even when she began to sweat. Kenna couldn't tell if closing her eyes made reflection worse or easier; all she could hear were the words of her grandmother, accusing her of irresponsibility and shaming her for lacking the maturity she'd expected.

There were so many questions she didn't know how to answer.

So many lies she didn't know how to tell.

"Why were you late?"

The ghost of my best friend is haunting me.
"I was with friends."

"That makes staying out past curfew acceptable?"

I was stuck in another world.
"No, ma'am."

"Did you not think to call me in advance? To let me know you'd be late?"

Sammie didn't give me time.
"It won't happen again."
She threw the covers off and inhaled fresh, cool air. Palmed tears out of her eyes and tried not to make a sound. She had to be calm, had to be collected. To cry over something that was her fault was stupid and irrational; she just needed to do better.

"You've always been exceptional, Kenna, but I am disappointed."

Please don't.
"I know."

"First the hospital incident and now this."

I'm trying.
"I'm sorry."

"You're beginning to resemble your parents."

Last edited:
  • Love

Friday Morning

"I could use the fresh air," Kenna ignored the curious gaze of her Grandmother from across the long dining table. It bordered on suspicious. "Plus, if I jog instead of ride with you, I'll be warmed up by the time I reach practice."

"You should warm up with your team, like usual."

Now was the time: Kenna had been practicing since Tuesday, perfecting this story, telling it over and over and over again as if to convince herself it was true. She could do this.

"The team has fallen so far behind that Coach says we can't waste half an hour on warm-ups," she said. "Most of the team is meeting early to get warm-ups in, but I have too many class projects due Monday."

"You can warm up here," Grandma said. "We do have a gym, Kenna."

Kenna could do this. She just needed to maintain eye contact, convey sincerity, and keep her cool. "As I said, I think I could use the fresh air. Did you know a lack of Vitamin D contributes to several unwanted symptoms, such as fatigue and tiredness, especially in women around my age?" Kenna tried not to sound like an infomercial. She really did.

Before Grandma Johnson could combat her, Kenna continued: "The only time I go out nowadays is for lacrosse, but we've been primarily conditioning - hence why we're behind - and there is no sun inside the gym."

"Their gymnasium has large windows. It's very brightly lit. Honestly, Kenna-"

"Did you know that windows filter all but UVA rays but it is UVB that we need to produce Vitamin D?" Kenna blurted, so bold as to interrupt. She swallowed but kept trucking. "On top of that, dark skin does not absorb UV light as well as lighter skin tones... which would not be an issue, normally, but modern day has made it so that even-"

Grandma Johnson shook her head. "Alright, I see where this is going." Sighing, she met Kenna's eyes. "You may go on your own today, but you must text me when you arrive. It's, what... a thirty-minute walk?"

"Around forty, more or less."

Her grandmother nodded.

Friday Morning

Corey rarely woke up before noon nowadays, much less at the crack of dawn, but he'd hardly been able to sleep last night. When Sierra rolled around to share a blunt before her late morning class it only confirmed he'd be awake for the day. Rubbing his eyes, he groaned back into his pillow. A fresh shirt flopped over his messy bed-head.

"Come on, get dressed you bum," Sierra said. "My class is in two hours."

He groaned again. "Don't call me a bum."

"But you are a bum," she said. Corey yelped when a hand smacked down on his behind, sharp and quick. He rolled over with a glare. "A big bum!" Sierra cackled, canine teeth shining from the recent tooth jewelry she had glued in. Most people attributed her laugh to a witch's cackle, what with how high-pitched and shrieky it was, but Corey found it funny. Her laughter faded. "Seriously, Corey, get off your ass. Let's go."

With a third, final groan, Corey sat up and took the outfit she'd picked out for him. He lifted a brow. "This isn't my shirt."

"Obviously," she said. "I saw it at the thrift store and thought of you. Isn't it cute?"

"It's very dark."

"No, no look! It has a cute sun emoji on the front." Sierra lay the clothes out, revealing a pair of his dark-wash denim jeans to match. It was a grungier, more edgy look than Corey was used to, but he liked Sierra's style. Plus, she was his friend.

Right?

She visited him constantly because she cared, right? Not out of a sense of twisted obligation for the boy who lost everything?

Instead of asking a question he feared the answer to, Corey went along with whatever she wanted. Today, it was to dress up and go smoke.

Sierra_Lee.png

The pungent smell of smoke filled her nostrils and kissed her clothes, but Sierra loved it. "Do you ever, like, I dunno..." passing the blunt to Corey for another hit, she exhaled smoke into the bleacher seats above them. "Do you ever wonder if there's more to life than this?"

"What do you mean?"

She gestured to everything with one painfully slow swing of her arm. "This world. It's so... bland, right? Boring. Nothing is exciting here. It's all... I dunno... just..."

"Disappointment?" Corey's answer didn't surprise her - he could go from sunshine to raincloud in a matter of seconds.

Staring at the chainlink fence ahead of them, she nodded. "Maybe an alien invasion will happen."

Corey both coughed and laughed, the sound like rusted jingle bells. "Wouldn't that be bad?"

"Probably, but it'd shake things up," she said. Leaned her head against the bleacher pillar behind her. "What's the point of living if there's nothing to live for?"

They fell into silence after that, their elevated minds keeping it from being awkward. Sierra's head rolled towards her shoulder, world fuzzy, and watched Corey from afar despite sitting so close.

He stared at the concrete ground as he choked on another hit, sending puffs of stinky smoke into the air with each cough. Wiped wispy curls of blonde out of his eyes. Sniffled, his face and eyes irritated pink.

"Hey," she started. "Do you-"

"Corey!" A tall girl with dark skin and even darker eyes walked around the short chain-link fence. Beside Sierra, Corey scrambled to his feet as quickly as he could.

To Sierra, it all seemed slow motion.

Oh no. Oh no, no, no, no. This was not happening. Smoking in the safety of his home was one thing, but in public? "What are you doing here?" Before he could respond, she shook her head. "You could be caught, Corey!"

"Nobody can see us here," he tried.

"They can smell you!" Kenna honestly wanted to rip out her hair. Corey couldn't be that stupid, could he? "What if someone else found you? Worse, what if a police officer found you?"

"We-"

"You didn't think of that, did you? You could be in jail right now-"

A girl with pale blonde hair looked up from the floor. "Hey, hey, we're fine. Don't gotta freak out."

With the addition of a third party came the brief window to reign in her emotions... slightly. Kenna inhaled sharply through her nose and immediately regretted it - how could they stand the smell? With a grimace, she glanced between the two. "Friend of yours?"

Corey smiled a bit sheepishly. Gestured to them both: "Kenna, meet Sierra. Sierra, meet Kenna." Sierra quirked a brow as if she recognized the name. Soon after, Sierra's mouth curled into a frown.

Kenna did not like that look.

The air shifted and, suddenly, Kenna felt less in control of the situation. Maybe it was the way Sierra stared her down so intently, or maybe it was the way she reached for Corey's hand and tangled their fingers together. Maybe it was the way she asked Kenna "Why are you here?" as if Kenna herself was the stranger.

"I need to talk to Corey-"

"But why?" Sierra's gaze did not waver. "Why now and not a year ago? Six months?"

Irritation flared back up in Kenna's chest. She grabbed Corey's other wrist and addressed him instead. "Corey, come on." She hadn't skipped practice to let this pot-head play judge.

Sierra tugged on Corey's arm. "Sorry, but he's staying here."

"This doesn't involve you." Kenna pulled on the other.

"Hey, guys-" Corey tried.

Again, Sierra tugged. "Corey's my friend so that makes me involved."

Kenna pulled harder. "You have no idea what-"

"-What he's been through?" Sierra snapped. "Yeah, you don't!" Yanked on his arm, nearly taking him off his feet, but Kenna gripped him with two hands and steadied him.

This was bad. Bad. Really bad. Kenna had a temper and Sierra had an attitude and both were incredibly, unequivocally stubborn; Corey never planned on introducing them, especially after confiding in Sierra so often about his friends' maltreatment. The girl was predisposed to loathing them.

"Hey, guys-"

Tug!

Pull!

Yank!

In one movement, Corey ripped both his hands away from them. "Stop!" Rubbed at his wrists. Their iron grips had hurt, especially Kenna's. Speaking of... He looked to Kenna curiously. "What's going on?"

But Sierra stopped him, finally deciding to stand up. "Corey, they're toxic as hell. Don't."

"I..." Corey felt Sierra's indignation crackle the air, saw Kenna's rage bristle the hair on her arms. After what happened with Abel in the Other Place, Corey decided to give up. Had told Sierra he was done. It wasn't worth it.

But...

Sierra_Lee.png

"I'll talk to you later, okay?" Biting his lip, Corey stepped towards Kenna. Sierra's face fell.

Sometimes she thought she understood Corey. Had thought him a sweet little sunflower who'd been rained on too much for his own good. She'd wanted to protect that sunflower. Become its umbrella from the storm and see what it would become, how tall and strong it could grow. Yet, Corey was not a sunflower, but a Devil's Ivy - the unkillable plant.

No matter how much his friends mistreated him, they could not kill his loyalty.

As Sierra watched Kenna lead him from the baseball park, she found the answer to her unasked question:

Hey.
Do you have something to live for?

• Love

Friday Morning

uv69i8P.png

A silence had fallen over them. Richmond didn't have the words to make anything better, but figured that if he stayed, Joane at least wouldn't have to go through whatever she was going through alone. And so he stayed the night and they talked about school and TV shows, skirting around the elephant in the room after she'd dropped the bombshell that was the story of Sammie's Suicide. Every now and then, they'd return to the topic and graze its dark surface without ever really plunging deeper. Richmond got the sense that while Joane wanted to talk about what had happened, she wasn't ready to wrestle with the demons that came with opening up about a past traumatic experience.

"Why don't you talk to your friends, get closure? It might help."

"That could have worked at the beginning. Everyone's just fighting now."

Most of the night went on like that, and before they knew it, the sun was rising. Richmond stared at the orange rays that filtered through Joane's only window. It had been an odd night, but he felt like he understood her now.

"Hey, Joane. You know this is some really serious stuff. I think you should talk to a professional. You and your friends have been carrying a lot of baggage lately, and I'm not licensed to give you advice on things like this." Considering they were new friends and all that, he felt like he was overstepping his bounds, but he said it anyway. "I think it'd help you, more than talking to me would at least." He offered her a smile. "I can help get you in touch with one of the counselor's on campus?" He wasn't trying to push her away, but he also felt he was sorely under qualified. "You can always call. You have my number now, but I think it'd help if you talked to someone professional on the side too."

I'm sorry, the awkwardness in the way he proposed the idea seemed to say. I'm sorry this is the best way I know how to help.

Joane appreciated the sentiment and knew that Richmond was sincere, but she also knew there was no way she could open up to some psychologist about the truth. She couldn't even tell her parents because it would guarantee her a one-way ticket to the psych ward. No sensible person would ever believe the real story she and her old friends had to tell.

"I'll think about it," she lied.

"Okay. Like I said, you can call whenever, okay?"

"Thank you. For listening and for staying, sorry for keeping you here."

Richmond gave her the same endearing half-smile he did when they first met at the party. "Hey, you were only keeping me away from a very interesting paper on the renaissance era."

"Sounds like you missed a lot."

"I did, it's heartbreaking how much I missed."

Another round of playful banter to bury the seriousness of everything they'd spoken about.

"You should go and finish that paper then."

"You going to be okay here?"

"Yeah. I'll give you a call if I need anything. Really, thank you. I needed that."

"No worries. If you need help with the paper or anything, shoot me a text."

With that, the two of them exchanged good byes before Richmond began making his way out of her dorm room and to his car.

• Love

"Okay, okay! I get it, you don't like her. Can we drop it?" Corey pleaded. The first quarter of their bus ride to Joane's dorm had gone on in tense silence - until Corey opened his big mouth and broke the peace. From there, Kenna had done nothing but question him and Sierra's relationship, not without passing critical judgment.

As they stepped off the bus, Kenna huffed. "You should associate with better people."

What, like you? Spending time with Sierra had left him feeling bitter towards his old friends, yet he'd come anyway. He tried reminding himself that Kenna had stuck with him the longest so he owed her his time, even if the idea was self-deprecating. Corey owed them nothing, yet continued to give and give and give.

His mood had all but entirely soured by the time they reached her dorm. Each time Kenna asked a passerby about Joane Wright he resisted the urge to take the nearest bus back home; Kenna's voice grated on his nerves.

After asking nearly every student on campus - Okay, that might be an exaggeration - someone finally directed them to Joane's dorm. The search had given her time to calm down... or so she thought. When she reached to knock on Joane's door, the wooden surface disappeared beneath her knuckles and a guy their age appeared on the other side.

"Oh. Sorry." She must have the wrong room number. "Do you know where-"

"Joane!" Corey's bad mood evaporated almost instantly.

Kenna narrowed her brows at the stranger and peered over his shoulder into the room, eyes landing on Joane. What was this? Some sort of one-night stand ordeal? They both looked exhausted.

"Who are you?" Did Joane even know this guy?

Probably not. Kenna doubted she knew what day of the week it was, the way she drank.

• Love

LfnShxaHHTPqQsL4l3SWZ-6-Kwlwey0UxsNB9wZ1kT5wFXVXj3acPYM-8qkEBNR4xtEYvdBcthfxLDw8P-Fz-QoL03JNOOB_7BTrzS7kRwsvxJ9T8WueRWw9io3_KhS9j5-07r1g

The moment he stepped out the door he was accosted by a tall, tough-looking girl and a blonde-haired boy. The former glared at him as if he'd committed a crime and Richmond found himself taking a hesitant step backward. The hostility in the air was palpable. "Hey?" He raised his hands above his chest to create some distance between him and the duo. "I'm, uh, I'm a friend of Joane's." The momentary stutter made it seem like a lie, but he'd never been good at dealing with confrontation. "Is there anything you need? I was just about to leave... do we share a class or something?" Richmond looked over his shoulder to lock eyes with Joane. You know them? The look seemed to ask. Are they trouble and should I stick around? The blonde boy seemed to know Joane's name at the very least.

J2WnvudVdmtM0zOc1H_ImxJ-VjU6RCZTIL-woKdNVwIQ1d9_eojjxpmgTDL8MIq3Hj47DbflT8Bctr0KxJGjhDFliYLcnXZ_RNgwSDxHY3eHmBKoTpFQhhyQO4FBsExnxIBhOspA

How did they find her?

The look on Joane's face was the opposite of delighted. It was one thing to text and call and send her emails - she could ignore as many of those as she wanted - but it was another thing entirely to actually drive over and find her. She was sure Kenna and Corey meant well, but there was a reason she'd never given them her address in the first place. She didn't want them to find her. This was her safehaven from Corey's endless attempts to rekindle a friendship, from Kenna's disdain - from the craziness of Sammie's ghost and The Other Place.

She didn't want them here because this was where she crawled off to hide. She didn't want them here because she was a mess and having them find her here was embarrassing. But they were here now and she couldn't pretend she hadn't heard them.

Joane took a moment to gather herself then joined Richmond by the door. If Kenna took a step closer, she'd smell the stale alcohol on her friend's clothes and catch a glimpse of the chaos inside. She and Richmond definitely looked out of sorts.

"Kenna, Corey," she sounded nervous to see them, something Kenna could interpret however she liked. "Uh, what's… what's up?"

Stupid. That was the best she could ask them. What's up? She could sense Kenna was about to blow a fuse, but she was too tired to care.

VENiHNp0W5YqCuswpuzc63bDhsHS2iztJy2sIJnX4cpRQSdmjFima8kanPF9M7IuzxvqXQErklQ2cKseVpQgJeCxwocB_tHnNxcwAVJYrchR4RxiE6nWjp7NE6fvKhw1Gl_yNZXY

The excitement of finding Joane fizzled at her tone. It served as a sharp reminder that Kenna was not having any 'nonsense' today, which is likely what she deemed this whole… scenario. He watched as Kenna scrunched her nose, noticed how her eyes darted from Joane's friend to Joane and the room behind them.

"What's up?" Kenna sounded two seconds short from erupting. Flat out ignored the stranger's attempt at conversation. "You're wearing alcohol like its perfume and a guy is coming out of your room looking like he hasn't slept all night."

Oh boy.

"And you ask me 'what's up?'"

Corey mumbled a soothing "Kenna, it's okay" but it only fanned the flames.

Kenna whirled on him, lips pulled into a taut, thin line. "You don't get an opinion here, Corey!"

Without saying it, Corey knew she had referred to Sierra - someone Kenna had met only once and under less than stellar circumstances. He hated how she judged a book by its cover, how she was so quick to dismiss and denounce anything and anyone she deemed subpar. Kenna pretended she was mature, but out of everyone Corey knew, she could act the most like a child.

He should have stayed with Sierra.

4WYDlO09pDLUdSS1ehNckJ4plNommote77u4xE6poJric5QdFIo6iUkyz_jjEj0fVTYwvE2HM1bMOrwlFF5jqGGhRgx-NPXPIkBsszEeRTYBeSi7NYT1MKpEq0LgrAP-oqueT8kj

Yes. 'What's up?' In other words, why are you both here?

What on earth did Kenna want her to say? Is the ghost of our dead best friend bothering you? Is that why you've both stopped by after a week of virtually no communication - after a year of deciding to no longer be friends? She could have said that instead, but then they'd all look crazy. It was either small talk or real talk, and they weren't exactly in a private place right now.

Joane had spent the last year feeling bad for Kenna, for abandoning her friend when she obviously needed someone to be there for her. However, as soon as Kenna began her age-old tirade, something inside Joan snapped.

Ever since they'd gotten back together because of Sammie's ghost, Kenna had been acting like she was better than them. Not just to her, but to Corey and Abel as well.

"Yes," Joane's tone shifted into one of defiance. "I'm asking you what's up because you don't exactly stop by to visit." She ignored Kenna's comments about Richmond and her drinking habits. It wasn't like that, and even if it was, it was still none of Kenna's business.
otrby_ymMQC7vZPuyd22c_gtLVqkzJPebIvHDoaejQM2yxp_P6G0H6VYFRbTxNYS3aJcvfPx15e84hEYaE3T3mRI4sSDYu4hKdzJEUnS0l-tCfCUWGMelMlnvvc3hA2pq950viup

Was she shaking? She felt like she was shaking. Corey and Joane were throwing away their futures like they were nothing and Kenna hated watching it, but she couldn't look aside. Not with their history.

When she reached out after the first Other Place incident, falling back into the routine of playing Mom had been the last thing she wanted. She just wanted to check up. Prevent another tragedy from happening. Move on with her life.

She hadn't expected to find that Corey and Joane became their own tragedies. Hadn't expected her maternal side to rear its ugly head.

"Maybe we'd stop by to visit if you told us where you were," Kenna said through her teeth. "We spent God knows how long trying to find you. Do you even go to this school? Nobody knows who you are."

She paused, looked at the stranger that'd come out of Joane's room, and frowned deeply.

"Except him, apparently."

LfnShxaHHTPqQsL4l3SWZ-6-Kwlwey0UxsNB9wZ1kT5wFXVXj3acPYM-8qkEBNR4xtEYvdBcthfxLDw8P-Fz-QoL03JNOOB_7BTrzS7kRwsvxJ9T8WueRWw9io3_KhS9j5-07r1g

W2VCJrKIJR1zSk783ScawFnKfRveiFL13nKK4XdhWjpvnUNWjwfa4ZqYiYpSR5sxW0dcadPassxjvjG9OENFYoLQOY0i63G_WST2FVcifRNPgDBqBdgMD2zjUG9sUH1f7ZAKKC_8

"You've got this entirely wrong-"

Joane didn't give Richmond time to explain his side of the story, instead she took what Kenna threw at her and decided it was time to start hitting back.

"Did you ever think that I didn't want you to find me? Kenna, you do this to everyone. Not just to me, to Corey and Abel too. You act like you're better than us, then you make us feel like garbage, don't pretend you don't." Joane had initially tried to keep calm, but a year's worth of pent up emotions was spilling out. "And you don't have to play mom anymore. You know that right? It's not like we're friends. Friends don't make each other feel like garbage."

_LuofrPFvLXr1ULvpKgR227WN-QrUOVpAgEA1w8FEjiTQrD3TBLnqesgmMYlN3EO1DiycbStUiU0Ab2VkbXKtUXPg1BdGixh1u35XJZsI5zqeBwv1zTH9G4pmw_OCQ_ggwLShTna

Corey couldn't resist the urge to jump in, to gang up on Kenna and let loose all the anger he had bottled up from not just that morning, but the entire last year. "Yeah. I was doing just fine this morning but you dragged me along to, what? Yell at Joane?"

"But she's-"

He gestured to a nonexistent person beside him: "If you think berating our friends and treating us like a verbal punching bag is going to help, you're crazy."

Kenna's frown faltered. "I didn't-"

"Yes, you did! Literally just now! An hour ago!" Did she not realize the hurtful things she said? "Sierra is a really nice person but you were a jerk to her and now this guy-"

"I'm just trying to protect you two!" Corey could see her hands tremble and he felt bad to some degree, but he wasn't going to back down. Especially not when he and Joane were on the same page about being babied.

Well, don't.

He almost said it. Almost. Half of him wanted to walk away and never speak to either of them again, but the other half - the stronger, louder, more persistent half - nearly melted at the thought that she still cared.

4oYDOxfL14ry9l15grMXr0XmeRJDzvjZk1_htBnD3_Y6iMcSDFH3sB_bBvB1J1ELlk4AvAU2tO_fMHtU1vlXEZWbQ-rEDfh9LhHRTWOWL0ZUZJuzLdR-4K5MD8Hpi8XNXORekTgs

Joane hadn't expected Corey to jump into the fray, and she definitely didn't expect him to give his piece so harshly. When he finally told Kenna just how he felt, Joane watched in mild awe. He didn't hold back, and by the end of it, she almost felt sorry for Kenna.

Still, they weren't children and it wasn't okay for Kenna to treat them the way she did.

"Kenna," Joane sounded more resigned than furious now. Corey had already told Kenna off for the both of them. "Maybe you should just go. You too, Corey."

She and Corey might have been on the same page, but it didn't mean she wanted him here either. Her head was throbbing from the lack of sleep and it had been an awful start to the day.

SbJU05bqKte5ndF7eXWmivcYVuOT_aAunwuaWdhiGiIaWIOsbzAGSFCdQX81HakbSXEN1b6G4bDU3KOmP6KIAgOIXIGId_WktydRVW__WuJOtHo8QU3zncjAAQpWAmUATSkbfOw1

Kenna only wanted to help. The pair were going down a dark path and she tried to steer them in the right direction since, obviously, their parents weren't doing anything.

But they didn't want her help, and she couldn't help people who reveled in their misery.

The tell-tale sting of tears in her eyes confirmed it was time to leave and when she spoke, the words sounded forced. "Fine. Have it your way."

As she stormed down the hallway, each step draping a ten-pound weight across her back. She'd skipped practice for nothing and for Coach to not notice would be hoping too much. Next time, she'd think things through better.

No, there wouldn't be a next time.

Screw them.

9Q0yKd6EZPuFTj5a2YkAjM7kfKq163l4XuUcQAbzGyw_MfXmdx1dZHtL_ygm4iABGYuhtmveb096bDjjZF85Zx3AboAOKmyu8g7jhmqDCrGZ-is_u_aV3Y5IxpHnJpLRf5_Awhna

It took everything in Corey not to back down when Kenna's eyes filled with tears. She rarely cried - or, at least, she rarely cried in front of him. When she brushed past him he nearly reached for her hand to offer some semblance of comfort. Nearly.

He had a sneaking suspicion that if he did, she'd slap him to Hell and back.

So he let her go.

"...Yeah," Corey mumbled. Joane was probably right. She looked like death and he didn't know how to help anyone, much less himself, overcome what just happened. What had just happened?

They made Kenna cry.

Swallowing, Corey stepped away from the door. "I'll, uh… I'll see you around, I guess." He glanced at Richmond. "Sorry 'bout… all that. Yeah. Uh…"

Leave. Go. Stop being awkward.

He hadn't meant to gang up on Kenna, much less make her cry, and the fact that he did left a sour taste in his mouth. It'd been too easy to be mean. And, unlike punching Abel, it hadn't even felt good.

If anything, he felt as gross as he had after the fistfight.

"Okay, so, uh… bye, then." He waved lamely to Joane and her friend before stepping away. Kenna had already disappeared but he doubted she'd ride the bus with him after this.

He'd call Sierra for a ride instead.

4oYDOxfL14ry9l15grMXr0XmeRJDzvjZk1_htBnD3_Y6iMcSDFH3sB_bBvB1J1ELlk4AvAU2tO_fMHtU1vlXEZWbQ-rEDfh9LhHRTWOWL0ZUZJuzLdR-4K5MD8Hpi8XNXORekTgs

"Take care, Corey." The words were stilted, but she meant them. After everything had gone to hell, Corey was probably the only one she managed to actually reconnect with. It had been brief and it had opened up old wounds, but when she visited him, she had been genuinely happy to see him. It was too bad they would have never been able to maintain that friendship, especially not with Sammie's ghost hanging over their heads like a curse. She frowned as she watched Corey disappear after Kenna.

It was time to take her own advice and stop trying to reconnect. "Sorry," she said even though at this point she no longer cared.

Richmond was frowning deeply, but was clearly at a loss for words. The two of them could do nothing else but share the painful silence.

• Love
Two Weeks Later: Friday Night

After Corey and Kenna left, Joane spent the next two weeks trying to shake off Sammie's ghost. The "hauntings" were subtle at first, a reflection in a bathroom mirror here, a shadow in a darkened hallway there - nothing she couldn't drown out with alcohol. And so, that was what she did. A bottle here and there to forget that her dead best friend's ghost was looming right around the corner. Joane had started her sophomore year with a series of bad decisions, she'd made her choices and now she was reaping the consequences.

She didn't like it, but she couldn't pull herself out of it either.

Even if she listened to Richmond and "got help" it wasn't like she could tell them about The Other Place or Sammie. That was a one-way ticket to a mental institution, and then she'd be drugged up most of the time like Abel. And then, maybe she'd try to throw herself off a building like Abel did too. The thought left a bad taste in her mouth. They hadn't heard from Abel since the fistfight with Corey.

They were such shitty friends.

Were.

Days blurred together into weeks, but instead of going away, the hauntings only got worse. Sometimes Sammie would try to talk to her, sometimes she'd talk back. But there was a wrongness to each exchanged - a simple feeling Joane felt in her bones.

Whatever this thing was, it wasn't Sammie.

Sammie was dead, and even if their friend had resented them for failing to notice, she would never do anything like this. Joane was sure of that. But the ghost spoke like Sammie and talked about Sammie's memories like they were her own and something inside of her snapped. If this didn't stop soon, she would shatter. Perhaps, she was already in the process of doing so.

That was why she'd called Richmond on the phone, sobbing that she needed to get out of her dorm room and do something, anything.

Quiet conversations turned to drinking, and soon enough, they were attending the local Frat party on campus.

It was chaotic, but Sammie's ghost had at least vanished amid the crowd of rowdy students.

• Love

Late Friday Afternoon​

A sweaty hand clapped Kenna on the back and left a dirt-mark on her usually clean jersey. "Nice shot, K!" Another hand, then two more, and counting until it seemed like her entire team had swarmed her. Kenna smiled lamely. They'd always been a fun group but this time it felt forced; she hadn't actually shot anything except the metal rim of the net. It'd been powerful, sure, but she'd done far better. Kenna couldn't help but feel like they were overcompensating for her absences. Trying to make her feel better for being the weakest link, now.

"Thanks," she said. While she meant it, she couldn't help but be glad practice was over. It would take months of conditioning to get back to where she was before falling ill but just a simple shooting practice had left her feeling winded. Maybe if she joined a gym...

One of her teammates slung an arm across her shoulders. "Hey, why don't you grab some pizza with us? We're heading to Zia Margherita after this." Pulled her in, as if to drag her along should she protest, but when Kenna's smile turned apologetic the girl let go.

"Sorry," she said. "My grandmother is expecting me home."

A few of her teammates exchanged glances before shrugging it off. "Maybe next time." Nice as they were, Kenna didn't get her hopes up; this wasn't the first time she turned their offer down and it wouldn't be the last. Between her shaky health, raising her grades, getting back in shape, and dealing the aftermath of Sammie's death - rather, the 'haunting', or whatever it was - she had no time to be goofing off. Letting go of Corey and Joane had lifted a weight from her shoulders at the cost of something in her heart.

Even in a field full of people, Kenna felt horribly alone.

As her team filed into the locker rooms to wash off the grime, Kenna checked her phone. Several missed calls from a contact she hadn't seen in years: Mrs. Wright. Curious - and slightly worried - she swiped right and put the phone to her ear.

Ring, ring, ring.

"Hi Mrs. Wright, it's Kenna. Sorry I missed your call."

rPQpF6b0O4q92l31pv0tpaLfssAS48lpelRh_OAPSR7ICz89Rkjmi1BPxaBnPyzhMdFhu4_pWUXhatNkjLI77STqdwkb7igtu4aoufVK4Kxh-la2uak6PxaOt__GMF6UbjgplcYe

"Kenna! Thank you for picking up. I wasn't sure if you still had the same number or not." It was unlike Mrs. Wright to be scared - disappointed and even furious, yes. Scared, almost never. The woman was good at hiding negative emotions beneath a facade of competence and poise, and yet today, the sheer panic and worry in her tone and voice were evident. When Kenna picked up the phone, she sounded beyond relieved. "Is Joane with you?"

Hesitation from Kenna's side of the line. "No, she's not. I haven't heard from her." Another pause, this one heavier. "Is Joane okay?" Kenna had never been good at hiding her emotions - it's what made her a horrible liar - and, true to character, Lyla Wright (or anyone within earshot) could hear her concerned raise in pitch.

No. The word sent a pang of panic throughout Lyla. Lately, her daughter had been talking about seeing Corey and Kenna more. The woman was relieved of course, believing that the kids had gotten over their initial grief and were trying to - healthily - pick up the pieces. But then, suddenly Joane stopped answering calls and texts. Lyla had gone to her daughter's dorm more times than she could count, and each time, Joane was out. "I haven't heard from her either," Mrs. Wright admitted. "She's never at her dorm and she won't answer my calls… I thought, I thought she might have been with you or Corey." Lyla sucked in a breath of air and tried to calm herself, but the facade she'd been trying to put up had worn thin. "Kenna, if you hear from her, can you call me?"

"Yes," another pause. Kenna cleared her throat. "Yes ma'am, I will. I promise."

Hanging up, Kenna barely realized she forgot to say goodbye. All she could think of was Joane potentially missing. Potentially lost or hurt or-... Kenna refused to consider the worst case scenario.

"She's fine," Kenna mumbled. "She's just ghosting again, she always does this…"

A chill swept down her neck. "Are you sure?" Kenna whirled around, fists posed for the ready, only to see Sammie looking back at her with a curious lift of her brows. "Isn't that what you thought about me? 'She's fine.'"

Her arms lowered a fraction. "That's not the same thing-"

"I think it is," Sammie said. "And I think you do, too."

A dull ache in the back of Kenna's head warned her to relax as if she could help it. Here stood the ghost of her childhood best friend, and if that wasn't stressful enough, said ghost only spoke to remind Kenna how badly she'd fucked up. How her negligence led to Sammie's suicide.

Kenna rubbed her temples. "Joane doesn't want my help. Nobody does." Grabbed her lacrosse bag from the bottom bleacher. "Just leave me alone, okay?"

The ghost of Sammie rematerialized in front of her. "Like you left me alone?" It hit Kenna like a pommel to the gut.

"That's not fair."

Sammie frowned. "C'mon, Kenna," she drifted closer, face following Kenna's downward gaze. "You're the Mom Friend, remember? You're supposed to take care of us-"

"Okay!" Kenna put distance between them. Drew her bag across her torso like a timid shield. "Okay, fine. I get it." She wasn't sure if she found Sammie's smile, bright and beaming and beautiful as always, to be that reassuring.

Late Friday Afternoon​

3l98UE5H2qhyM7Hu4qiANOdYkyfzZTQPDtkOECaHIq7szRFIeW6Dg4Zxic9VWUtFr46xYQtEXeeg_VqrxtzMYCONmR62OhycU_be2affwH4yqSL0cBlaWSk2jh0an0jJ3eChrhD8

At the oddly timed doorbell ring, Corey trudged down the steps, bypassed his father reading the news on the couch from his dated tablet, and pulled open the door. "Can I-"

He stopped. Lowered his hand.

On the other side of the door stood familiar dark skin and even darker, bouncy curls frizzed into a kinked and tangled mess. Corey blinked several times. It felt like minutes before someone spoke but knowing Kenna, she hadn't waited long before diving into the reason she'd shown up:

"I'm worried about Joane," she said. The conviction in her voice, that tone of 'Corey, get in the figurative car' grabbed his attention more than a lecture from his real parents ever could. So much so that before his father could finish the sentence of "Who's at the door?" Corey stepped outside, clad in a pair of worn jean shorts and a baggy tank top of all things, and shut the door.

He crossed his arms in defense against the wind and the memory of their last fight. Corey honestly hadn't expected her to reach out, much less show up at his doorstep.

"What's going on?" He asked. "Have you heard from her?"

Kenna leveled him with a derisive look; of course she hadn't, this was Joane they were talking about. "Her mom called me today."

Corey's eyes shot open. "Her mom called you?"

"Apparently, Joane has gone MIA." Kenna copied Corey and crossed her arms. He noticed how she tip-tapped fingers along her arm, how she chewed at her lip and averted her gaze. "Has-..." More tapping, more hesitation. "Nevermind." Finally, she made eye-contact. "Will you come with me to check on her?"

Considering their last encounter, Corey wasn't sure Kenna meeting up with Joane was a good idea. "I- Kenna, I would, but-"

"What if she ends up like Sammie?"

Like ice, he froze.

"What if- What if she…" Kenna untangled her arms and shoved her hands into her pockets, shoulders tensed and raised. To Corey, she didn't look like Kenna: She looked scared. "What if these are the signs we didn't see with Sammie?"

"Corey?"

He didn't notice how his nails dug into his arms until he released them, little pink indents left behind. "Let me grab my shoes."

• Love
Collab between @Fox of Spades and @Cartoonicat

8_jt-Jw7yDG82DHLqonAGu1BUpi58qANH8GmhnJkJHD1n-r-nqDtKTkGdSRfLQ-uK573Ic336SRkd2cypP9hQz_tm7tQOm66ttt8sRHh7sWZJv1YMD6Z4cz4LanQIrpaYLzXlU9H

IXv4TrHoe4YqyC9Bjdu12d8QrtSiZkgPLPGP8zmyGT8a9ep1UUUDuqW9oca5shnC-w1wT8EPD456Ry0rV9OsFUYwVtYTuEs7A64mVQzBQtJrQrcXFO9CHoegYwlheGGNhTbwshWa

"Hey? Maybe it's time to slow down a little?" Richmond was both concerned and a little scared. A couple of hours ago, Joane had called him on the phone, sobbing about needing to get out of her dorm room. Now, they were at the weekly Delta Phi rager and she was downing shot after shot like it was water. Something was obviously very wrong, but he couldn't help if he didn't know what it was. "Hey Joane, maybe we should go somewhere else. Get soup or something."

"It's fineee. It's fineee, Rich! We're young, the night's young. It's Friday!"

The two of them were sitting across from one another at one of the round tables while most of the people at the party danced the night away on the dance floor. Richmond pulled the plastic cup she was holding out of her hand and narrowed his eyes. "Is this about Sammie?"

Sammie.

Hearing her name felt like a bucket of cold water to the face. Joane looked away and promptly stood up. "I'm going to the bathroom. I'll… yeah, I'll be back."

For the past two weeks, she'd been haunted endlessly by Sammie's ghost - a reflection in a bathroom mirror, a shadow in a darkened hallway, a voice when there was no one there. At first it had been easy enough to ignore, but as the days turned into weeks, she began to crumble. Sleeping all day and drinking all night, that was pretty much what her schedule had been reduced to. There was no doubt she would fail all her classes, but at this point, she no longer cared. She just wanted Sammie to go away and let her pick up the pieces.

Even here, she couldn't just shut off her mind and forget.

Richmond called out to her, but ignored him and quickly made her way into the nearest bathroom.

***​

You're freaking out for no reason… pull yourself together.

Joane was hunched over the sink, gripping onto its porcelain sides for the much needed support. She felt ill and dizzy and her hands were clammy against the cool temperature of the bathroom sink. She was starting to panic again.

Pull yourself together.

Joane took a deep breath then looked up into the mirror. Her blood ran cold.

KnTXzRvGUuBe7tDGvCUkdtpeZJcZ3OOQH_0GqfzAWyeKepG3s2wH9htr9E2Q-p3O7iqfFHhCOUbXQutrfeJamQRwsatWyT3bEe2T0NA0_Fh7dLqh5Pu7sY56TZLURthv3Gx7QLa5

IXv4TrHoe4YqyC9Bjdu12d8QrtSiZkgPLPGP8zmyGT8a9ep1UUUDuqW9oca5shnC-w1wT8EPD456Ry0rV9OsFUYwVtYTuEs7A64mVQzBQtJrQrcXFO9CHoegYwlheGGNhTbwshWa

"Joanie, didn't we have a talk about running away from your problems?"

Joane didn't answer, in fact, she stayed perfectly still and closed her eyes. Maybe if she pretended not to hear or see Sammie, she'd go away.

"You've been ignoring me for awhile too." Sammie puffed up her cheeks in mock annoyance - a perfect imitation of how Sammie looked whenever she pretended to be disappointed. "Hey, it's mean to ignore people, y'know? I've missed you guys a LOT."

No response.

Sammie sighed. "You're so cold, Joanie. Is this how you've been treating everyone?"

Joane let out a quiet whimper, as Sammie wrapped her arms around her waist and leaned her cheek against her back. Sammie was cold to the touch and everything about what was happening was wrong. It only lasted a minute and when she opened her eyes, Sammie was gone. She felt like she was going to throw up.

Overwhelmed, Joane gathered what was left of her wits and stumbled out of the bathroom. She was as pale as a sheet when she exited, and the negative emotions only doubled when her eyes fell on two more familiar faces: Corey and Kenna.

JvsfklipBHtDS3dL5au6rPnbuyE9s5Gph49OhQ6kZdDMAIZFV8_7Kl5VCqBqQQq232-BEKs9Y5unVqwJaY3Fg57X4DwgdVPuZswz0jDUnvwSc6EHaLHGF7TutkZCIjSnq3va8dV6

"Ugh," Kenna scowled down at her feet, "this place is filthy." Beer cans and discarded red solo cups littered the floor, overflowing from the trashcans stationed by each door. "Are we sure Joane is here?"

Corey picked up several cups from the floor and tossed them into the trashcan nearby. "She likes to party, right? From what the girl in the parking lot told me, this place is a weekly go-to," he said, then lowered his voice and stepped close enough for Kenna to hear his whisper through the blaring party music. "Don't complain so much or they might kick us out! They don't exactly know we're not students here."

Kenna's lips pulled into a thin line. He had a point. "Fine, yeah, okay," she waved him off. Peered around the room, eyes landing on the archway leading to the kitchen. "Let's check there first; they're probably serving alcohol in there."

Following beside her, Corey's brows lifted, lips curling into a silly grin. "Oooh, Kenna? Looking for a drink, huh? I'd have never-"

"I'm looking for Joane, not trying to party," Kenna hissed. "If we stake out the kitchen she's bound to come in at some point."

"Ah… fair point," Corey said. Sighed. "And here I thought you wanted to live a little."

Stepping inside the kitchen, Kenna found them a spot to lean against the wall. Several groups of people filled the room, leaving them little space; the pair ended up brushing shoulders as they waited for Joane to appear. "I'm an athlete, I don't drink."

"I'm an athlete, too," Corey hummed, "and I could go for something."

Kenna glared at him from the corner of her eye, but not for long; she had to keep her attention on the doors and kitchen island-turned-makeshift bar. "Used to be an athlete. When is the last time you danced?"

With a hum, Corey chewed the bottom of his lip. Looked towards the ceiling as if the fluorescent lights held the answer. "It's been a while."

"Exactly."

WKaMnNE_ZU6oeeQ_lYt3T5lqnGWK98u1xVnHDjWdGPxeXbpIXf0GdL-k-r1V3POXSnOxYib-KxAYGefg1uNbmcqDxO94wZoqivJ12Tcuz-vBO4NGPkxL5wY9FuK4puCGvGuay_oP

Time went by incredibly slow waiting for Joane to show up, and about ten minutes into their stake-out Corey had grown bored. He tapped his foot, drummed his thighs, hummed along to the music, and so on until Kenna turned to him with a huff.

"Can you stop? Can you just- I don't know-"

"Sorry," he said. Watching the way Kenna's nostrils flared each time someone walked in the room or how her shoulders lifted defensively when a drunken party-goer got too close to them worried Corey. Her stress levels were rising and by time they found Joane, if she was even there, Kenna would be ready to explode. He needed to do something, quick.

Kenna's eyebrows shot to her forehead as he rested a hand on her shoulder. They narrowed just as fast.

"Relax," Corey said. Despite the flicker of irritation he felt when she brushed him off, he didn't show it on his face. Lead by example. "I know this isn't your scene, like, at all, but I've got your back. Take a breath, okay?"

Her eyes searched him for any sign of… well, Corey didn't know. All he knew was Kenna's scrutinizing gaze threatened to raise the hairs on his arms. Still, he stood his ground. Stared her down with a warm smile.

Eventually, Kenna sighed and relaxed against the wall. "Thank you."

"No problem," Corey patted her shoulder once more. She didn't react this time. "Hey, how about I go grab us something to drink? Water, obviously," he clarified when she shot him another warning glare.

"...Alright," Kenna said. "Water would be nice, actually. Or Gatorade, if you can find any. I had practice earlier."

With two thumbs up, Corey scurried into the depths of the kitchen.

JvsfklipBHtDS3dL5au6rPnbuyE9s5Gph49OhQ6kZdDMAIZFV8_7Kl5VCqBqQQq232-BEKs9Y5unVqwJaY3Fg57X4DwgdVPuZswz0jDUnvwSc6EHaLHGF7TutkZCIjSnq3va8dV6

Kenna was tired. Between restless sleep and a long practice of sprinting across the field, she just wanted to sleep. The text she sent her Grandma about grabbing pizza with the team would give her a few hours to find Joane and sort this stuff out but, in all honesty, part of her wished Mrs. Wright had called literally anyone else.

Just as she felt her eyes droop, Corey reappeared with two bottles of water and an extra-large red solo cup filled with sweet-smelling Gatorade. "Huh. I'm surprised they actually had some," she commented. "They didn't have any bottles? This cup is massive."

Popping the lid to his water bottle, Corey shook his head. "They have Gatorade dispenser thingies. You know, the kind they have at football games?"

Ah. That made sense. It was cheaper to buy in bulk and they had an entire frat house of electrolytes to keep in check. "At least they're prepared for the hangovers," she mumbled, taking a sip. The drink tasted sugary-sweet and left her feeling warmer than it did cool, but Kenna chalked it up to the heat of the overcrowded building.

So she chugged, if only to free up one of her hands and let the sugar replenish her energy.

"Hey, should we look for her instead?" Corey suggested after a while. "I think this stake-out is a bust."

Wow, that was a really good idea. When had Corey become so smart? Kenna stared at him with parted lips. She could have sworn he was an idiot ten minutes ago but maybe she hadn't given him enough credit. A pang of guilt hit hard enough for her to clasp his free hand in her own. "Corey."

"Uh… are you oka-"

"You're so smart. Okay? Okay."

Corey blinked up at her. "Uh… Okay. Thank you."

Kenna nodded vigorously. "I just wanted you to know. Because you're smart. But maybe not smart enough to know that you're smart." She dropped her unopened water bottle and pinched his cheeks. "Right?"

WKaMnNE_ZU6oeeQ_lYt3T5lqnGWK98u1xVnHDjWdGPxeXbpIXf0GdL-k-r1V3POXSnOxYib-KxAYGefg1uNbmcqDxO94wZoqivJ12Tcuz-vBO4NGPkxL5wY9FuK4puCGvGuay_oP

Well, he fucked up. Corey set down his water bottle and took Kenna by the wrist, peeling her pinchy fingers away from the skin of his face with a nervous smile. "Right, but, uh… I think I might have…" given you a mixed drink? This was a frat party, for God's sake, how had he not figured they'd mix the Gatorade with something?

God, he wasn't smart at all. He was a proper dumbass.

"Hey, Kenna, drink some of this water, oka-" He offered her his opened water bottle but Kenna's jaw dropped into a look of… shock? Horror? Excitement?

This time she grabbed his wrists and pulled, hard, towards the living room. "You haven't danced! You should dance! You're a good dancer, Corey, I promise."

"Wait, hey- Gah!" Corey stumbled forward, water bottle completely forgotten. They were getting off-track really quick and he honestly had no idea to handle a drunk Kenna.

"We can dance together-"

With a sharp tug, he stopped her in her tracks a few feet from the hallway bathroom. "Kenna, hey! Pay attention, okay? We came to find Joane, not-"

Kenna's nose scrunched and her mood seemed to do an immediate 180. "That bitch."

Oh no. Oh no.

What was worse, "that bitch" chose the wrong moment to step out of the bathroom just a handful of steps away.

Feeling more than a little sick, and not wanting to run into Kenna and Corey at this particular moment, Joane tried to disappear into the crowd. Maybe her friends hadn't seen her, the house was packed after all.

"Let's go find her," she tugged on his wrist. "We gotta find her, Corey. I have shit to say." Kenna had shit to say, Corey had shit to say, they all had shit to say; yet the only person seemingly capable of doing so was Abel.

Abel. What an ass.

Despite her pulling, Corey didn't budge. Kenna swore she was stronger than him. Had she been wrong about that, too? How annoying.

"Kenna, you're not yourself right now. Uhhh, I don't think it's a good idea to find Joane," he said. What was he talking about? Of course they had to find Joane.

"I told you Corey, I have shit to tell her."

Kenna tugged harder, managing to pull the boy off his feet. He stumbled forward but managed to steady himself and prevent Kenna from dragging him down the hallway. "Kenna, seriously, you're cursing a lot. It isn't like you-"

"Why do you keep defending her!?" She threw his hands back at him. First at Joane's place and now here; couldn't Corey take her side for one second? Kenna was the only one trying now, the only one who actively reached out to him and managed to make progress. Joane never did any of that; she never did anything at all.

Corey's eyes widened and flicked somewhere behind her. "Joane-"

She tossed her hands in the air, mad as hell and spurred on by the bass music vibrating in her chest. "Joane this, Joane that. You're such an enabler, Corey!"

Again, his eyes darted elsewhere. Kenna turned with a mumbled "What're you looking at…" before seeing there, halfway down the hall, a familiar face.

"Kenna, seriously, don't-"

But she was already storming down the hallway, head dizzy with a thousand accusations and the rising urge to smack someone silly. Corey followed close behind and every time he reached for her she twisted away until Kenna came just several feet from Joane.

"Hey," she reached for Joane's shoulder.

Hey.

Joane bristled when Kenna grabbed her by the shoulder. She was tired… so, so tired. Tired of Kenna's condescending speeches, tired of Sammie's hauntings, and just tired of constantly trying to move on and failing. She'd spent the past year and a half on standstill, constantly trying to remain afloat but getting nowhere closer to shore.

She just wanted Kenna and Corey and Sammie to leave her alone.

"Kenna, what are you doing here?" More tired than aggressive, more tired than anything really. There was a lot of things she wanted to say, but she feared that if she started talking, all the venom she'd kept to herself for the past year would start spilling out. "I told you to just leave me alone. Kenna… I don't need your help, okay? I'm not some project you're going to fix."

Kenna paused, mouth open and closing like a fish. 'Project to fix'? After all Kenna had done for her throughout the years, Joane had the gall to say that. Had the gall to insinuate Kenna 'fixed' people out of some sense of twisted obligation rather than the fact she actually cared.

"Grow up," Kenna frowned, "I'm not gonna 'fix' you." Kenna took in Joane's appearance; bags under her eyes, a pallid complexion, overall misery. She looked broken.

Served her right.

Joane pursed her lips, and for a moment, it looked like she was about to cry. "Then why are you here, Kenna? If you're not here for that, maybe just leave me alone?" She noticed something else too. "Besides Kenna, you're drunk." Joane turned away and began walking off to… she didn't even know where. She just wanted to leave.

Kenna's hand shot out and grabbed the sleeve of Joane's signature hoodie. She wasn't going anywhere; not this time. "I'm not drunk. You're drunk. And running away from the conversation," Kenna tugged on her sleeve, an attempt to whip Joane back around to face her. "Just like you left me in the hospital. Remember that?"

"Kenna, that's-" Corey tried.

"Shut up, Corey."

Kenna's words stung hotly, and Joane tensed as soon as they were said. Kenna knew how badly she felt about it all, Kenna knew how much she wished she could take it all back. It was a low blow even for her. "What the fuck, Kenna? That's… that's not fair. That's not fair at all. Sammie…" Sammie had just died. "That's not fair." Guilt like no other came crashing down on her. "You know what, fuck you, Kenna." Joane pulled her hand away. "Just… fuck you."

"Abandoning me wasn't fair" Kenna snapped. Stepped forward in chase only for a pair of hands to grip her forearms. Corey hauled her backwards, away from Joane, but Kenna didn't stop. If anything, being manhandled made her temper worse: "And fuck you, too! Corey, get- let me- ugh!" This time she couldn't shake him off as fast; his grip was iron-tight.

"You're gonna-" Corey struggled to keep her from lunging at Joane; or worse, from spinning around and clocking him upside the head. "You're gonna do something you regret if you don't calm down!"

But Kenna didn't listen. "If your mom hadn't called me I wouldn't be here!" She tugged and pulled and yanked away from him, determined to give the blonde boy a run for his money.

Her mom? Right, how many days had it been since she'd last called? She'd spent the entire week dodging miscalls and text messages like they were bullets. She wasn't sure how it was possible, but Joane felt even guiltier than she already did.

"You really are awful, Joanie."

She shivered as felt someone's breath tickle her ear. Sammie was behind her, smiling as always as she stared at the scene with empty eyes.

"So… what Kenna?" Joane ignored Sammie and focused on Kenna who was alive and real. "Are you going to hit me? Is that going to make you feel better?" Honestly, she didn't care anymore.

Like a switch, something changed. Kenna didn't fight as hard and, upon finally settling down, Corey cautiously released her. She blinked once, twice. Let her arms hang limp at her sides.

What the hell was she doing?

Kenna was supposed to be the responsible one; Kenna was supposed to be the caretaker, the One Who Protected not the One Who Made Things Worse. Since entering this party - no, for a long time now - she hadn't done much protecting. Just… judging. And here she stood, previously two seconds away from pummelling her childhood friend into next year.

"No," Kenna loosened her balled fists. "I'm better than that." Corey shifted uncomfortably at the comment and mumbled under his breath, but she didn't quite catch it.

Joane's shoulders sagged and she allowed herself to take a deep breath as soon as she realized Kenna wasn't going to clock her in the face anytime soon.

The adrenaline that had been keeping her standing tall throughout the confrontation began to ebb away, and for the first time since the encounter, Joane realized that she was trembling. She lurched to the side, grabbing onto the nearest countertop for support.

Why was she liked this?

"Oh, how boring." Sammie commented from the sidelines. "Are you just going to let Kenna have the last word?"

Both Kenna and Corey stepped forward to steady Joane, though the latter made it there first. Kenna ended up standing awkwardly to the side while Corey offered his arm to their stumbling… third party? What was Kenna supposed to call her? After nearly punching her in the face, Kenna doubted they were friends anymore. Just the word made her run hot with shame - unless that was the Gatorade.

"Careful, take it easy," Corey said. "You don't look so good, Joane."

Kenna crossed her arms, not knowing what else to do with them. "Should we take her home?" It felt weird expecting Corey to take charge. It felt even weirder not knowing what to do in this situation; Kenna had never been the one drunk before.

Figures, she didn't feel so good either. She'd been feeling awful all week, and like the self-destructive idiot that she was, had been ignoring her body's warning signs. The world tilted violently, and if not for Corey's grip, Joane would have face-planted into the ground. "Mhm, feeling really sick." She leaned onto Corey for support. "Sorry…"

8_jt-Jw7yDG82DHLqonAGu1BUpi58qANH8GmhnJkJHD1n-r-nqDtKTkGdSRfLQ-uK573Ic336SRkd2cypP9hQz_tm7tQOm66ttt8sRHh7sWZJv1YMD6Z4cz4LanQIrpaYLzXlU9H

"Oh, hey. There you are—" Richmond stopped when he noticed Corey and Kenna. He recognized them from their last meeting and frowned. And then he noticed Joane, and his frown deepened. He didn't quite know what was happening, but he knew Joane had spent the past week feeling pretty godawful. He'd advised against going out, but it was all she'd wanted to do. Now they were here. "Hey? Um, I can take her home." The awkwardness in the air skyrocketed. "I'm not sure if you remember me? We met once, I'm one of Joane's friends."

He winced, not sure if reminding them of that terrible first meeting had been a good idea.

For a moment, Corey almost forgot about Kenna's overprotective nature. Key word: almost. He was starkly reminded when Kenna's temper flared into something far scarier than what he'd feared with Joane.
Kenna squared her shoulders. Instantly, she was on alert despite her intoxicated sway side-to-side. "We can handle it," her tone left no room for argument. Even drunk she exuded the air of matriarchal authority.

Speaking of which, how many bottles of alcohol were in that damn Gatorade tank?

Corey rubbed slow circles into Joane's back. She'd probably throw up at some point in the night but, at this point, exuding the alcohol could only benefit her in the long run. He just hoped it wouldn't end up on his shirt. "Don't worry about it, we'll take her home." He gestured towards Kenna with his head, "She's really a good person, I promise. Just…"

"You can leave now," Kenna told Richmond, eyes narrowing.

"Overprotective…" Corey finished, shoulders and brows slumping into something that could only be translated as unamused. "Anyway, Joane is in good hands. Promise."

Richmond raised his hands in good will when Kenna started glaring daggers at him. Everything felt like one horribly huge misunderstanding, but with Joane ill and her friend obviously very upset, it was far from the time to explain himself. One look at Kenna told him that much.

"Alright, thanks. I'll get out of your way then."

From the stories he'd heard of them, it sounded like they all used to be great friends. If anything, this seemed like a good time for them to talk it out and sort over their feelings.

"Corey and Kenna," he called out their names, polite but stilted. "I'll see you guys around."

Only Corey responded. He did so with a sheepish smile and as much a wave as he could while still holding Joane upright. "See ya, man."

• Love

if7CDzEXqh0ke2ZZVXTb968Ha7x2Xo4tLqm9Wn8KdzQT1eO8hdCmngRxM6PeKqxU0Pbt5jQcWJ6QlGP2CwRm-4wUTchnxLnRfgl14npLKwXns35GQ6c_mDPpoo0d1hV5tahGsGYr

kBKrpFTh8XcROpgbjpVy5Ll6oR-MVM9cA3BVnNmaMgPMChNRjl6p070BSYqHm9_qQmLsLThbKzgYBK8Eswwry6dm9udxSl3TRjgpBbOOcpYp_30Nf6BYszzQja47CaX0g0WwuMz9

Despite how much she tried to justify her actions, Joane always fell short. She was ruining her life and being a grade-A idiot about everything, and despite it all, Kenna and Corey still cared enough to reach out. What stung the most about their kindness, was that she'd failed to do the same when they had needed her most. She'd been an all around shitty friend, that was something even an intoxicated Joane understood. She needed to apologize to both of them, but understanding and acting on something were two entirely different things. Right now, all she could really do was mumble sleepily into Corey's shoulder as he made sure she didn't fall over.

She tried to pull away from him and put on her best 'serious' expression.

"I'm fine. I'm cone sold stober. Where's Richy?"

Corey suppressed an amused snort, though his brows did lift in concern once Joane nearly swayed out of his arms. "Careful!" The slurring and mix-up of words would have been hilarious if not for… well… everything else. Kenna spun in circles a few steps ahead of them like a carefree child; ironic, how just ten minutes earlier she was ready to clock Joane in the mouth. "Sure you are," he humored the drunk girl on his arm. "Richy?"

Kenna spun to face them and walked backward, only to stumble and land on her ass. She hardly flinched. Corey, on the other hand, mentally facepalmed; that would probably bruise. "Her boyfriend."

"Oh! Gotcha," Corey lead Joane over to Kenna, who clumsily got to her feet, and hovered nearby until she took off again. "Richy went back to his apartment. Or dorm? Probably. I think. Erm… he said 'bye', though." In the distance, Kenna kicked a lonely bottle of lemonade against a campus trashcan that bounced off and rolled into the grass. Corey nearly cursed. "Kenna! What are you doing!?"

She threw her hands in the air and looked to the sky. "I would be amazing at soccer."

"Probably," Corey said, looking every which way for campus security. The coast was clear. "Don't kick anything else, though, okay? And throw that bottle away, please."

Everything was almost normal, and from the outside looking in, the three seemed to be regular ol' college kids who'd partied a little too hard on a Friday night. If Sammie hadn't taken all those pills that night, maybe this would have been just a normal night out between friends. Abel and Sammie would have been present too, and they'd all have a good laugh at Kenna letting loose and kicking cans across the soccer field.

Sammie would have marched on forward without a care in the world, just like she always did. And Abel wouldn't hate Corey - would still have been their sweet, inquisitive friend.

And at the end of the night, they'd sneak Kenna back into her house and pray that her grandma wouldn't see their shadows through the living room window. She'd catch them, but it wouldn't have mattered, because they would have laughed about it the next day - they would have still had each other.

Everything was almost normal, but what an outsider couldn't see, was the shadow of Sammie's ever-present absence looming over them.

"What'd you give her?" Joane asked as she wrinkled her nose at Kenna. It was odd seeing the most responsible member of their group this way, but honestly, it was the most carefree Kenna had looked in ages.

Kenna looked over, lemonade bottle in her hands, and stuck her tongue out before punting it across the quad. It crashed against one of the metal benches and fell into the bushes, bound to be forgotten.

Corey sighed. At least she didn't have it in her hands anymore. Now all he had to worry about was Joane and-

"Where're we going? Finding Abel?" It had been the usual formula these past few months, Kenna and Corey would find her, and then they'd go find Abel. "He's reaaaaally mean now, like ultra triple mean, Corey." While a sober Joane agonized over her choice of words and whether or not she'd end up stepping on toes, drunk Joane didn't have the same foresight. "He might hit you again if we go, he's a total ass." She reached for Corey's cheek then - with the arm she'd swung around his shoulder - and began to smoosh it affectionately. "Yeah, the assiest ass!" Corey would have to endure more face patting.

Abel.

Just hearing his name hit Corey like a punch to the gut. It hurt more than Joane stumbling over his toes and trumped the fear of Kenna straying too far from their little ragtag team of drunk adventurers. Joane smooshing his face only did so much. "Yeah, he is," Corey agreed.

"You're too nice for him." And then the guilt reared its ugly head again. "You're too nice for us."

Now he was glad Kenna stood so far away; he could only imagine how triggering his tears might be to a drunk Mom Friend. Corey wiped his eyes with the back of one hand, the other tightening around Joane as he slowed them to a stop. "Joane, that… Thank you." He blinked away the last of the tears and tried schooling his face into a blank slate as Kenna turned and wobbled back to them.

u8Lf-DrMPDvhQb173OE8QqC00-X8TBBjpuq04PcrdPGTavGw-7XVFk7cut_gF9HTLHq-RP154pH0kSTBSCQTkzcPxs8g73wrl0NT8sHqjbdz-wKmkhhTaQTxbXkkQczb3w4XHXcZ

Kenna placed a hand on Corey's shoulder to steady herself. Lips pooched, she eyed how Joane did the same. Sort of. Actually, no, she was pretty bad off. What were drunk people supposed to do again? Something about electrolytes and bread-food and… what had electrolytes? Gatorade?

Oh, no. Gatorade is what got them there in the first place. Or, at least, gotten Kenna there. Gatorade had betrayed her.

"Your face is wet," she patted a hand against Corey's wet cheek. Blinked several times, then leaned in with squinted eyes. "Are you crying?"

"No, just-"

Since when did Corey lie about crying? Wait… always. That was someone else who owned up to it. Or was it? Jesus, she couldn't think straight at this point. All she knew was Corey had been (or was) crying and the only person who could have done it was Joane. She turned squinty eyes on the brunette in question.

"Joane said something really nice is all," Corey interjected before Kenna could get her dialogue in order. It gave her pause.

Joane, nice? Since when?

Since always, you drunken dumbass, Kenna didn't know where that thought-bubble came from but she was glad for it. Several memories flooded her mind: Joane coordinating team spirit t-shirts for Kenna's lacrosse games; Joane helping Corey get ready for his first dance competition, stage makeup flawless; Joane listening intently, whether she held interest or not, to Abel's marine life speals; and, Joane, always Joane going along with practically all of Sammie's daring (and potentially risky) adventures to see their friend smile.

Yeah, Joane was nice.

A jerk, but nice. Kenna turned her attention away, opting not to insert herself in their conversation. Without a word, she followed alongside them.

It was nice having someone else lead the group for once.

Together, in the silence of the evening, they made their way back to Joane's place.