When Conflict Comes to a Head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aza nodded slowly. "We'll get what we need, then."

After Nyirr was downstairs, Aza looked to Clane. "I'm worried."

"I know." He rested a hand on her head, then began to thump his way down to the main room. "I'll leave the shopping to you!"

At the bottom of the stairs, the innkeeper was not present, nor were the three who arrived at the same time as Nyirr after his outing. The main room was completely empty, actually.

Aza followed after Clane and watched to make sure he made it to a seat safely. "I'll go buy some supplies. Are there any travel foods that make you sick?" She smiled, a nervous little smile.

"I can eat anything that's not actually poison." Clane nodded.

Nyirr lifted his head from the silent prayers he was humming to the Archangel and the Holy One. He had finally noticed something that was off about the room he was sitting in; Total silence. He darted his eyes around, noting that even the person that was typically behind the bar wasn't even present. If he remembered correctly, places like these had someone to greet newcomers to the establishment or at least someone working in the public area. So why was everyone? Not even a single patron either…

The man stood, his eyes still scanning the room. Something was off. He slowly marched towards the front entrance off the Inn, gently pushing the door open. He took a step outside, looking side to side. What was wrong?

Clane remained in his seat, having just gotten comfortable. Outside the door, Aza turned to look back at Nyirr. "Did you need something?" Outside, there was a steady, if thin, trail of people making their ways in and out of the small town's flimsy gate.

The source of the quiet wasn't from outside. It was simply not a populated place, nor was it a busy one.

Aza watched him for several moments, head tilted slightly.

There was little to see outside the building other than the few people that paraded the streets this morning. Why did it seem so suspicious to him, as if something was being set up by beings of malicious intent? He kept watching the streets until Aza spoke up, asking if he needed something. He snapped out of his cautious state and stepped back inside. He shook his head to the young elf and came back to the table.

"No Aza. I am good. Something simply seemed off, but it must just be my time defending the Celestial planes make me too cautious."

Aza nodded, then returned to the task at hand-- leaving to get groceries.

Clane tilted his head at Nyirr, then shrugged briefly. "I'm sure it's nothing."

The three who arrived earlier emerged from the back room, thanking the innkeeper. They didn't seem too grateful, and one was snickering. They left the inn, and the innkeeper re-emerged as well, plus one black eye and a hunch to his back before he straightened, shook his head, and shakily resumed business as usual. "Would you two like anything?" He called to Clane and Nyirr.

All the Guardian could do was nod, maybe truly paranoid about the happenings of the mortal world. There was little to be worried about, right? This was just a small community of people trying to get by. He brought his hand to his forehead, just as he heard people entering the room. His eyes turned to the direction of the sounds, oddly enough not coming front the front entrance… It was from a back room. Three individuals, all off. He watched them walk out and then eyed the next man that followed. His eyes narrowed on the bartender, immediately noticing the black eye.

The man got to his feet. "I wasn't wrong." He said with a neutral tone. He marched towards the counter and leaned upon it. "Sir. What did these men do to you?" He asked, a stoic and stern look on his face. He knew it was too quiet for its own good.

The innkeeper leaned back as Nyirr leaned toward him. "It's fine, nothing to worry about." The smile he gave the divine guardian was uneasy. "Now, are you thirsty? It's a bit early in the day, but I could get you some wine. If breakfast wasn't large enough, I can get you more to eat, as well, and I won't overcharge like some other inns in town." As he spoke of serving, he seemed to revive from the beaten elf to a proud business owner. His smile met his eyes, and he made more offers. "If you're planning on staying another night, I could move you to the better room."

Clane sighed and let his head fall back as he closed his eyes, getting a bit of rest while Nyirr bothered at the innkeeper-- it wasn't hard to imagine that it was the usual bullying of the area-- 'insurance' or whatever they called it to try to sound legitimate.

This man proved to be unwilling to tell him about the people that just left the building. Why wouldn't he share his problem with him? He remembered that these mortal beings had different ways of dealing with their various situations. This one seemed to not want to bother with this and kept on going even after unfair treatment.

The angel straightened himself and bowed his head gently. "You do not have to worry yourself, good man. I have had my fill. As for the room, we will be traveling out today." He looked over at Clane, seemingly out like a light. He returned to the man and leaned back in. "Innkeeper. These men did you wrong. I wish to help you. I can confront these people…" An odd thought came to mind. "… Are you the only one who suffers from their abuse?"

The proprieter's shoulders dropped. "Just drop it, man. You're leaving anyway, so it doesn't affect you." He turned away to pretend to dust behind the counter.

Clane sighed. Nyirr wasn't going to drop it. He watched carefully, ready to get the tall elf's attention if need be-- he didn't want to cause trouble when they were about to leave-- Clane himself might not be welcomed back if his family found out he'd done something to a local business owner.

Outside, Aza did her shoping. She haggled extensively to get the best deals for a week's worth of food. She avoided showing how much money she had, but still, she had a feeling she was being watched...

Nyirr shook his head and sighed to what he was given back from the owner of the establishment, or so he thought. "Sir. Where I come from, leaving such an act go unpunished would bring shame and dishonor upon me, especially if I am able to handle it adequately." He said in a stern voice. He understood his dilemma, but he just couldn't let that slip when he had the power to.

"Though, if you wish to remain silent to not bring any trouble to yourself, then I will let you do so." He leaned back and made his way to the door. He was going to find them and he would make sure justice was brought. Though he turned to Clane before he would leave. "I will be back in a few minutes."

The innkeeper paled as Nyirr mentioned going after them. "No! Don't!" He called.

"Nyirr, that isn't very wise." Clane agreed. "They'll have seen you here and assume he said something." He shifted in his chair and sat up straight as he opened his eye. "Things here aren't always clean-cut with simple fixes." He stood shakily, then grabbed his crutch. "I'll go with you, if you really think you have to do something. Then we can say I'm the one who told." He grinned, a lopsided, daring sort of grin that was ill-suited to his physical health. "I could stand to use a few more pains, I think." He limped toward Nyirr, almost eager for a chance to do something useful-- to not be a burden for once since he had to leave the school.

The Innkeeper really wished for him not to do it. Why? He knew how to fix this, rather it be violent or not. And even if there were more involved, he needed to inspire the people to stand up for what they believe. Mortal lives needed a boost in confidence.

Clane stood and told him it wasn't wise. In a way, he understood that it wasn't the best course of action, but his code wouldn't allow him to stand for such injustice. If a transgression was done, he had to act. He had the title of Guardian for a reason. Though, Clane suggested something that actually made the angel freeze. Lie? He looked at him, quite unsure. He had to admire his bravery and perseverance, both traits his dad had when they had to face the man.

"Clane. You must understand that I cannot lie." It came out pretty dryly. "My code forbids it. Breaking that code would bring me much trouble." Guardian of Truth. That was his official title. "But, there is no need to tell him anything. I know what needs to be said. If you truly want to join me, then do so." He would wait for his decision. He would leave to get those people rather he accepted or not.

"I'll say it, then." Clane hobbled after him into he light of day, then peered around with squinted eyes. "My only code is don't hurt people who don't deserve it." He flashed the angel a grin.

The street outside was mostly abandoned, though a few people did turn to look at the pair, only to quickly look away when they saw Clane's condition.

Clane absently looked from side to side. "They're probably at the side of town furthest from the gate." He pointed with his crutch briefly, then began to hobble his way down the street. He paused as he saw Aza mid-haggling, then hurriedly turned a corner and motioned for Nyirr to hurry out of sight, too.

Nyirr looked to the injured half-elf with concern. He didn't expect for the young man to understand the Oath he had taken so many years ago, just a few days after his creation. He would have to adapt as he could to these mortal situations. It was odd to act in ways the Celestial planes would normally frown upon.

The streets were truly empty, save a few souls. These people weren't anywhere around, which seemed unlikely. They couldn't be too far from where the Inn was. Clane came to clear up their position, to which he nodded briefly and followed the man who seemed to know where to go.

They eventually came into view of the young elf! Nyirr was glad to see that she was trying her best to make the best of their money. Though, it seemed Clane needed them out of sight. Was he truly going to hide? He did as he was motioned to do, joining his side with a light but rapid pace. Once there, he had to ask his question. "Why are we hiding, Clane?"

Clane looked up at him. "Aza will worry if she sees me up and about." His grin had a sort of youth Nyirr hadn't seen in the elf since he was a child, as though sneaking about revived him, despite his handicap. He absently clenched and unclenched his fingers, then looked further down the road they'd ducked down. "We should be able to go around the market easily enough." He began to hobble down the road, trying to move quickly with his eagerness. His gait was uneven, and his grin was replaced by a grimace with each step, but he didn't give in or slow down.

He was being useful! He couldn't let a silly thing like crippling pain get in the way!

Aza did worry for the health of the half-elven man, to which he could conclude that he was right. Having her worry about one more thing would only make their lives harder. Though Nyirr wasn't one for hiding or walking around an obstacle, he could certainly see this being better than facing her. Plus, there was something about all of this that seemed to energize his young comrade. He showed the same signs of perseverance as his father did, who would never back down under pressure.

"You are right." He said sincerely, letting Clane reason with the normally very straight forward Guardian. They began walking around where the young elven woman was in favor of an easier situation, but Clane showed eagerness that was elevating the pain he felt. A single, firm hand came to grab his shoulder, stopping him from moving forth… One could recognized the strength this celestial being held; his grip was solid and it was a seemingly effortless act of his part to have Clane come to a complete stop. He looked down on him with a small smile perking the corners of his lips. "I know you are eager to help, young man, but I did not wish to further injure you. Please, take your time while walking. We will reach where we need to go eventually." He released him after this, resuming their walk towards the market.

Clane looked up at the much taller elf, then sighed. "True. I'm just excited." He grinned, then slowed his pace.

The town they walked through was halfway run-down, and seemed in some places to be held together by rope and scrap wood. The buildings were clean, but in bad repair, and kids ran around freely as their parents worked long hours to afford basic food, in hopes their children will have more success in life than they did.

Clane scarcely glanced toward the run-down homes or free children. This was the life he'd grown up with, even with Nyirr's help before, elven life was difficult, and humans regularly sought to make it even harder.

To him, this was normal. His life before school was unique.

Now, they could just make their way towards the market that Clane seemed to know quite well. They had reached a certain part of the town ripped away the Guardian's attention almost immediately. He looked from left to right, taking note of these rundown places. He remembered something of his descent the first time he came down to the mortal world… The elves were unfortunate to live in these kinds of places. Clane's father would talk about once in a blue moon.

"Is this really the life of an elf?" Nyirr asked, hoping that the answer wasn't yes… But how could it be any different than so? The war between these two races was bringing all of them down. Maybe… Just maybe the last friend he had made, a human, had changed his ways. He knows he still had to find his item, like he did for the two he is currently accompanying. "Have humans really put you in these conditions?"

Clane slowed to a stop, but didn't look back. "Yes. It's been like this for as long as I can remember. Sometimes I almost think... this is how it's supposed to be." His gaze turned downward. "I mean, if it wasn't, it wouldn't be like this so long, would it? Something would happen to change things."

He was silent a few moments before he began moving again. Each swing of his legs and crutches was subdued now as the sobered elf continued onward, heading toward the place he knew the thugs lived.

That's how it's supposed to be…? Those words stung harder than they should have; these mortals were suffering from conflict that didn't need to be. This wasn't what the celestial beings intended this to be, right? Something had gone wrong in history, probably from a xenophobic fear of each other's knowledge and differences. Nyirr didn't know, but it would have to something he needed to ask about. As much as the Guardian wished to reassure Clane, what could he say? It's been like this for so long… He fell silent for once in a very long time. He was supposed to speak the truth… But what was the truth in this case?

Clane took the first steps back on track, but Nyirr stayed back a moment, just looking at the desolated place. "…This isn't fair…" He whispered to himself, a sour expression on his face. He moved along with the young man, trying to not have this stay on his mind… But he simply couldn't ignore this injustice.

Status
Not open for further replies.