When and why did you start role playing?

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by Minibit, Nov 1, 2013.

1. I began on Neopets about... Gosh, eight years ago already! I had always been into storytelling, and say what you will about the quality on Neopets, it was a decent place to dive in and experiment without much judgement. Moved through a few Roleplay forums since then; even started a few of my own! Landed here and never looked back!

What about you guys?

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  2. OH YES!

I also started on Neopets. :D I got so annoyed at the lack of ability to write longer posts. >_> I also liked how they were really fast and tended to have people who were on for a couple of hours RPing all at once. I haven't really had that experience since. XP

3. Neopets for me too, actually. 9 years ago. o__o

My reason for roleplaying... I just wanted something to keep me busy while my friends ignored me and my parents yelled at each other all the time. I was surrounded by assholes. Writing kept me distracted from it all. :3

4. My first roleplay wasn't trough writing, neither on forums or chats. My first rp experience was the tabletop rpg Vampire the Masquerade about 5 or 6 years ago. My older sister dragged me along. I don't know WHY I roleplay or why I did it back then. I just know it's something fun to do, it allows me to feel like a male from time to time (when I was younger I wanted to be a man really badly) and it fits me because I've always been on the creative side. C:

5. When I was 13 I was a member on a Harry Potter based Fan Fic site. They had a rp forum there and when I realized what it was I pretty much just jumped in because it looked like fun.

6. I was watching my uncle playing 2.5 Dungeons and Dragons, He had dice everywhere, all kinds of colors and types and these little firgures om a map and tons and tons of boooooks. I asked to play and he helped me roll out my first Druid at the age of 10, I am now 25 years old and I have continued to play D&D and expanded into a more free RP of play-by-post and have been jumping around to find the best forum to RP on for 12 years.

I just love all mediums of creating, especially when I get to create something in my head and to share it, or know others are sharing theirs with me, is just a comforting thought.

7. When: I started forum rp on the nets about 5 years ago. I was looking for something like an online version of DnD (although I had never played DnD irl at that point) and I came across a site that was called Role play chat, and from there I was fortunate enough to find Iwaku.

Why: Cause reality is a bitch sometimes and at that point in my life I had all the time in the world. I used it to escape and still do.

8. Oh wait! I didn't start on Neopets! I started on one of those boards that was made for people who loved Neopets like Sunny something? Or Dizzy something? Does anyone remember that?

9. I'm also from neopets! Quite a few of us seem to have started there. O.O
    I just stumbled across the board one day and eventually found something cool. From there, I was hooked. Been through a lot of places, including a few years where I was pretty much exclusively a one-on-one'r due to board limitations. Technically speaking I only left Neo under two years ago, though I hadn't been active in a long time.
    I think I went through over twenty accounts on that site. So much censorship... so few shits given by the entire RP community... those were the bad ole days.

10. I started roleplaying when I was eight and using double sided dice. I started roleplaying on Neopets later on as well as a site called Wajas. My reason why was that my mind has always been in dreamland; I think that I have a mansion there by now. It's a great stress reliever and a great way to expand your literacy.

11. I was on MSN, back before they went belly up and deleted groups. That was 2004, I had no idea what I was doing back then because I never wrote with anyone. The experience was great. To be able to write with someone who has ideas and characters to put to a story. The longest thread, group, I had was 8,000 posts. Ahh, those were the days.

12. SunnyNeo.com?

13. My first roleplay was on stallet.se (the Swedish version of MyDreamStable.com) But I usually don't count it as my starting point in roleplaying since I only did a few posts before I got tired of it and stopped for many years. xD The first time I started for real was 2 years and 25 days ago when I joined iwaku. I don't remember why I started to roleplay. I guess I liked to write (Duh!) and didn't have any ideas so a roleplay site could help me with that. I know at least that I was searching for something new to do. And with everything going on in school I needed something to do to relax.

I think I signed up for a lot of other roleplaying sites before I found iwaku, but I never got so far as to create characters and get into a roleplay on those. So after a lot of search I ended up here. And I fell in love from the moment I said I do (when accepting the site rules no one reads while signing up).

:3

When? Two years ago.
    Why? Boredom, needing something to do to relax, needing new writing ideas, wanting to talk to new people.