What's Your Favourite Modern Superhero Film?

What's Your Favourite Modern Superhero Film?

• Spider-Man

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Spider-Man 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spider-Man 3

• X-Men

• X2: X-Men United

• X-Men: The Last Stand

• X-Men: First Class

• X-Men: Days of Future Past

• Hulk

• Daredevil

• Elektra

• Ghost Rider

• Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

• The Incredible Hulk

• Iron Man

• Captain America: The First Avenger

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Thor

• Iron Man 2

• The Avengers

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Thor: The Dark World

• Iron Man 3

• Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron

• The Amazing Spider-Man

• The Amazing Spider-Man 2

• Other

• Guardians of the Galaxy

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Cowboy

You’re gonna carry that weight.
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. One post per day
  3. Multiple posts per week
  4. 1-3 posts per week
  5. One post per week
  6. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Omnipresent
Writing Levels
  1. Give-No-Fucks
  2. Advanced
  3. Prestige
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Open to anything, but particularly enjoy gothic horror, urban fantasy, science fiction, post-apocalypse, and steampunk.
Discussion below!

If I've forgotten one, check OTHER and explain below.

it's honestly a three way tie between Guardians, Age of Ultron and The Winter Soldier.

I liked the Hulk with whatshisname and that crazy dog poodle scene by the lake.

OH NO I FORGOT GUARDIANS ARGH!!

/fixes

I voted Winter Soldier, because DEM FIGHT SCENES and that epic finale.

But I really love X2 as well. Perfect X-Men movie for the Claremont-era Team, or as close to perfect as we've gotten so far. So many fantastic moments, over-the-top comic moments, and a handful of amazing character moments. My favourite is early in the movie, with Wolverine going ballistic on the Black Ops team that attacks the mansion. If that's not perfect Wolverine, I don't know what is!

I voted Guardians of the Galaxy, but it was a real close call between that, Age of Ultron, and Winter Soldier. If I'd been voting some other day I might've decided on one of the others. Like Darog said, it's pretty much a three way tie for me.

I voted Days of Future Past, but it was a toos-up between it and Age of Ultron. Ultimately, I liked X-Men's characters a little better (but only a little) and Age of Ultron had no specific scene that matched the brilliance of the Quicksilver scene in Days (although it did have a lot of good scenes).

I laughed pretty hard that the second ghost rider was on here. My vote is for guardians.

I can't believe I forgot, literally, all of the DC movies.

Goes to show how much of a Marvel fanboy I am. :D

Probably some of the Xmen movies, whichever.

Although that most recent Wolverine was pretty bad ass. I love Wolverine.

I think that a handful of Marvel Studios movies are clearly better, but my personal favorite is TASM.

reason #1:

I've always been more of a DC guy (but they had shit movies) and don't really pay attention to most of Marvel's characters. I read their event titles and have a love-hate relationship with the X-Men franchise but I do not have an unhealthy/obsessive attachment to Marvel as compared to pre-52 DC.

The exception is Spider-Man.

I hated Tobey Maguire and Kristen Dunst and all the cheese that is Riami's Spider-Man trilogy (okay, 2 was good but I still hated the main cast). TASM is not perfect and suffered from Webb trying to distance himself from Riami, but it managed to capture the essence of main characters FAR BETTER than the original trilogy ever did while being set in a more modern environment.

Of course, Sony had to ruin good things by meddling with it's sequel but that's another story.

reason #2:
Emma Stone.

It was a tie between GOTG, The Avengers, T:TDW and CA:TWS, but I ultimately voted Iron Man 3 since I couldn't choose.

Aside from being a massive Tony Stark fanboy, it's nice to see a movie where the hero is only barely the hero.

I'm surprised to see Guardians of the Galaxy beating the Avenger's like this.

I'm surprised to see Guardians of the Galaxy beating the Avenger's like this.
I'm not, Avengers didn't really have a threatening, imposing Villain like Ronan. Loki was hardly threatening, he got owned by a lot of the members of The Avengers, his invasion also didn't really feel like a big threat. if anything The Chitauri were better villains than Loki was in that movie. Also, looking at each team, Guardians had a far more organic, and dynamic team too. None of the Guardians felt like they were trying to be too nice and "friendly for everyone", I mean Drax is a Murderer and a killer, Rocket is a shitlord bounty hunter, and Gamora is an assassin daughter of one of the most powerful and sadistic villains in the MCU.

You see? I love The Avengers so much for basically being the huge big risk that payed off and allowed Guardians to come in, but really? honestly I find it to be the fourth best MCU movie so far, because Winter Soldier, Guardians and Ultron had far more interesting, and way cooler character dynamics, threats and main villains.

To be honest, I found Ronan to be a really weak character who fit into the typical "I AM SO ANGRY ALL THE TIME, LISTEN TO EVERYONE SAY HOW SCARY I AM" mold without having any depth, charisma, or interesting qualities. Part of the reason I liked Age of Ultron more than the original Avengers was because Ultron was so goddamn entertaining.

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
I honestly had a very hard time choosing in this one. I love the original Spider-Man trilogy, the X-Men movies, and the Fantastic Four films (WHICH YOU FORGOT!!).

To be honest, I found Ronan to be a really weak character who fit into the typical "I AM SO ANGRY ALL THE TIME, LISTEN TO EVERYONE SAY HOW SCARY I AM" mold without having any depth, charisma, or interesting qualities. Part of the reason I liked Age of Ultron more than the original Avengers was because Ultron was so goddamn entertaining.
Both Avengers Loki and Guardians Ronan aren't as interesting as their comic book counterparts really. Ronan was highly religious and very much for Kree Superiority, but he was reasonable to a certain extent. His movie counterpart didn't take his interesting qualities and pretty much mold into what you just said. I still think he was more of a threat than Loki and far more intimidating though. Loki was....I laughed at him more than I went "ho snap he's gonna fuck shit up" the latter of which I never said at all

I'm not, Avengers didn't really have a threatening, imposing Villain like Ronan. Loki was hardly threatening, he got owned by a lot of the members of The Avengers, his invasion also didn't really feel like a big threat. if anything The Chitauri were better villains than Loki was in that movie. Also, looking at each team, Guardians had a far more organic, and dynamic team too. None of the Guardians felt like they were trying to be too nice and "friendly for everyone", I mean Drax is a Murderer and a killer, Rocket is a shitlord bounty hunter, and Gamora is an assassin daughter of one of the most powerful and sadistic villains in the MCU.

You see? I love The Avengers so much for basically being the huge big risk that payed off and allowed Guardians to come in, but really? honestly I find it to be the fourth best MCU movie so far, because Winter Soldier, Guardians and Ultron had far more interesting, and way cooler character dynamics, threats and main villains.
I can see that.
Though I personally felt that Guardians rushed it a bit, cramming 5 heroes into one movie where none had any previous movie exposure.

While Avengers were more developed because they each had past movies building up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.