2. Elementary
  3. Intermediate
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Romance, Yaoi, Modern, Slice of Life, Omegaverse, etc
I've always felt like the rp community was swayed in terms of the ratio of genders but then again my interaction pool has been limited. So I'm curious just how diverse we are at least here on Iwaku! And I'd like to know about your experiences rping, especially if you feel as though you're in the minority. I knew one male friend that rped years ago and he said he felt more embarrassed about rping since he was male. But in interested how others feel

I identify as female, most of my rp experiences have been with other females but I have rped with a few males. I have nothing against rp with any gender just so happened most my partners have been females :)

As for what I rp as, I play males only usually, very rarely ill do a female if I love the plot. Which I find funny since I'm female but prefer playing males 😂

Last edited:
I identify as a demigirl! I feel like a female, but not entirely, except I don’t feel partially male, or any other gender for that matter, just kind of a bit female. Anyway, I’m a person who prefers to RP as males, yet feels uncomfortable talking to males in the real world. It’s odd.

I for some reason feel uncomfortable RPing as females?? Maybe it’s because I’m a lesbian, maybe not, I’m not sure- it’s weird :v /lh /gen

Reactions: Sorrelfur
I identify as non-binary using they/them pronouns only. 😊 I write as male or female characters and have no preference for one over the other, to be honest.

I am a cis gendered lady! 8D I've never experienced any dysphoria or confusion about my bits or my gender. I have always been the girliest of girls, although for a brief time in my tweens I had that "tomboy phase" because people were always TRASHING girly girls as if they were a bad thing. >:[ So naturally, I had that insecure moment of thinking oh no being a girl is bad, until I finally decided FUUUUCK YOOOOOU I CAN BE AS PRINCESSY AS I WANT.

As for my experience roleplaying, never felt weird about it. I have always been a writer/storyteller/person who did a lot of playing pretend. Ò◇Ó

The gender of my partners... has been mixed? Most of my closest long term partners have been ladies. And I openly admit I am in general a little more comfortable with female partners. >_> I like to write romance and sex scenes, and it's usually dudes who CROSS LINES of appropriateness to me the Player. Girls are FILTHY but they tend to understand boundaries better and don't hit on ME when I tell them it makes me uncomfortable. 😂 it's an unfortunate society problem.

that said my current rp soulmate is a dude so XD

I identify as Non-Binary, Genderfluid and use They/Them pronouns mostly for ease. Some days I feel more female and some days I feel more male, but a lot of the time I'm somewhere between the two. To blur the lines even further, when I feel more female, those are the days I break out the jeans and t-shirts and button ups, but when I feel more male, I'm more comfortable wearing a skirt or a dress. Most of the time I just mix and match. Like my roommate/sister S, says 'Gender and gender expression is weird and varied' 8D

In terms of roleplay, when I first started out, I played female characters and only in F/F centric roleplays. Eventually, I started playing males in M/M roleplays, found it to be more comfortable for whatever reason, and stayed there for years. Nowadays I still primarily play males in M/M roleplays, but I am branching out and starting to play M/F RP's, mostly as female characters, in an exercise to get back into writing women. I have one F/F roleplay, and that's with someone I've known since high school. Maybe one day I'll feel comfortable playing F/F RP's with others again.

The gender of my partners has been pretty evenly mixed over the years I think? I have a few long-term partners and some are ladies, others are men, and at least one is also Non-Binary. I don't really have a preference when it comes to my writing partners. If we get along and our styles mesh, I'm pretty chill.

That being said, there have been a few people over the years that have made me uncomfortable and blurred the lines between writer and character that I've had to tell off and dip out on regardless of their gender.

I'm a cis girl, but have some culturally masculine tendencies. I never really felt uncomfortable or questioning in my skin because of it, though. I like jewelry and pretty things, and also bit a guy's finger bc he challenged me and am not the least bit motherly with children. My gender really meant nothing to me beyond how people treated me, so it wasn't a struggle for me to accept that I was female.

Almost all my partners have been girls. I don't do any sexual content, so I haven't had anyone be weird to me, and I think it's mostly just coincidence I haven't ended up RPing with anyone non-binary, but I will admit to having a preference for not RPing with guys, because I've had bad experiences with them. I won't object to trying it out, especially if I already like the person in question, but I used to do exclusively groups, and a lot of guys for whatever reason seemed to try to make their characters the main characters or better than everyone else's or would make promises then be really flaky or clearly wouldn't read what other ppl posted before plowing forward with whatever they wanted to do regardless of what else was happening in the story. And I just generally didn't have a good time with them. I certainly don't want to over generalize, I've had some decent male partners, but I am not going to lie that I'm wary of them especially if I don't know them beforehand.

I'm a rarity 8D Male here.

I RP as male, female, and nonbinary characters but most of my characters are dudes, primarily because:

Male characters are in more demand, especially if you're in the one-on-one world and especially in romance/smut. Most of my partners have been female looking for male characters to play opposite their ladies and not be expected to double for a female character, or queer dudes/enbies who are excited to RP MxM with someone who isn't going to fall into some of the fetishizing stuff that can happen particularly when straight women write MxM. And when I was younger, I did write a lot of MxM with female partners (mostly my ex-girlfriend who was REALLY into yaoi) so I get it.

(Please note I am not trying to shame anyone who wants to write MxM just because they think it's hot and/or want to write yaoi-style RP! It's just something a lot of queer people like to avoid for various reasons. Also not trying to imply straight women can't or shouldn't write gay men because that's absolutely not something I agree with.)

I don't really care that much about character gender, so unless I have a particular idea behind the character to the contrary, my characters just naturally end up male.

Personally I've never cared about what gender my partner is either because it's all just fiction. My characters aren't me, their characters aren't them. And as long as no one is being a creep, it's all gravy.

I'm going to vote because I want to see accurate data. Hope we can get a good sample of the Iwaku population!

I don't pay attention much to pairings and the ones behind them because up until this year I did not do 1x1s, only groups. I noticed in my core writing group that most of em were female, and I slowly started to notice that in the wider 1x1 space as well. I think males are lurking somewhere, but they tend to get pushed out of communities I would consider safe spaces.

Cis here. I don't mind any of the pronouns. I rather enjoy them all, actually. It never felt like a big part of my identity, but I know it is important to others. Just not to me, personally.

I have never questioned my gender but I definitely have wished frequently that I was the other gender because of the traditional roles associated with. Moreso because of the 'advantages' that comes with it. Or the supposed advantages, I know that both sides look differently at it and double standards are a huge thing.

I don't pay attention to the gender of rp partners and hope they don't mind mine, or the pretended elusiveness of mine. Same goes for roleplaying. I enjoy writing both male and female characters and like to do so equally. If I have a lot of male characters active I write a female. If there are a lot of female characters out I go male. Since I rarely do romances the pairing doesn't matter either, though even if romance is a goal I wouldn't want to set on a pairing either. I haven't figured out the sexualities of most (if any) of my characters yet.

I am a genderfluid man. I prefer They/They pronouns because I have more than one gender and I'm a Plural being.

As for character genders, they are all over the place! I have enbys, males, females, a bigender character... Their romantic interests can vary a lot too, but the majority of them are as pansexual as I am.
Most of the time though, my male characters are getting the most fieldwork. I roleplay with ladies who like to make hetero lady characters, so I gladly provide the princes of their dreams. ^^