What's the worst book you've ever read?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm. Probably Homestuck I don't get the hype over it at all. It's just a web book someone wrote and people worship it like a god. 0.o

There are two?

This whole internet thing has gone way too far.
I have no idea if the second one even exists anymore, and if it does, I'm not traveling down the dark depths to go find it. There was conflict between the author and... drama. That's all I remember. The author's SO (as far as I can remember, their name was Xanthan Butter or something like that (why do I remember that)) ended up continuing the story, which resulted in ... better? writing, but the story was all kinds of fucked at that point.

Point is, yes, it was there, I read half of it and finally gave my brain the break it deserved. By reading other fanfiction stories.

Wind in the Stone by Andre Norton.

It's not poorly written per se, in fact the writing is downright beautiful in a way. It's very... fluent, for lack of a better word. On the other hand, it's extremely dense and probably the only book I read where I actually struggled to get through because of the language alone. More importantly, it is very, very boring. You think a book in which I had to re-read every other line would leave some impression, but no. Rarely does anything interesting happen, just describing whatever the author feels like. Pointless world building exposition abound. When something does happen it's strangulated by the language. In the end all I was left with the feeling of pride in that I managed to slog my way mess, having already forgotten what had happened and the names of all but the most important characters.

To top off the shitcake of confusion, the synopsis on the back starts from halfway in the book making me feel like a total shit-head through the first half as I kept failing to make connections between the two.

I've never completed reading Fifty Shades or a Twilight book, so I would probably list those but I don't feel like they count since I didn't read through them entirely.

For me this is a tie between two novels I had to read in high school. Pride and Prejudice, and Heart of Darkness. Two of the slowest-moving stories I've ever read, with symbolism and imagery that I did not find interesting or compelling AT ALL.

Status
Not open for further replies.