What's the worst book you've ever read?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to read Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte in highschool. It was such a plodding book that read more like a diary than a novel. There's no real sense of story until the eponymous Jane ends up as a governess for one Mr. Rochester. Maybe it's just because I can't appreciate an old fashioned Victorian romance, but I felt like there was absolutely no reason why the two characters should've fallen in love at all.

Not to mention

she only cares that he was keeping his insane wife locked in a room somewhere for a little while, and eventually comes around to love him dearly (with his wife having conveniently killed herself in spectacular fashion while she was away).

Any number of the legions of horribly written, exhaustively detailed and maddeningly dull history books I've had to read throughout my Undergraduate and Masters could take the biscuit here. I'll just go ahead and drop E.H. Carr in it for now, though, cos his book on the Spanish Civil War is one of the more recent ones I've had to endure.

What's reading for fun like, again? I don't remember it.

Oh. Oh.

Wuthering Heights. Katherine and Heathcliff are just so self-destructive it isn't even funny. -___- And I started to hate Heathcliff not even halfway through the book. At least the book is... Intense? But eitherwho it still made me feel something awful.

For another book that is well written, but made me feel :/, it's Battle Royale but Koushun Takami. Batoru Rowaiaru... There are just certain moments in that book that make you go 'daaamn'. I can't decide if I like it or hate it, but it's not really the worst. Just made me feel bad. The movie, tho. The movie...

Do manuscripts count? Because if they do, Midnight Sun. Essentially, it's Twilight, but from Ewdrad's perspective.
Basically, take EVERYTHING that was bad about Twilight - the creeping, the nothing happening for several chapters, the misogyny, the secondary characters having more interesting backstories than Eggwad and Baller, Mike Newton being shat on despite doing nothing wrong... And multiply it by the highest possible number you can comprehend. Then add one.
That's Midnight Sun.
Fuck you, Smeyer.

Do manuscripts count? Because if they do, Midnight Sun. Essentially, it's Twilight, but from Ewdrad's perspective.
Basically, take EVERYTHING that was bad about Twilight - the creeping, the nothing happening for several chapters, the misogyny, the secondary characters having more interesting backstories than Eggwad and Baller, Mike Newton being shat on despite doing nothing wrong... And multiply it by the highest possible number you can comprehend. Then add one.
That's Midnight Sun.
Fuck you, Smeyer.
I don't think Midnight Sun was completed, but then I noped out after the first chapter.

Also... That siggy... Where did you get it from? o___o

I don't think Midnight Sun was completed, but then I noped out after the first chapter.

Also... That siggy... Where did you get it from? o___o
IIRC, it was leaked before it was finished. Smeyer threw a hissy fit, and refused to do so, thank goodness. I only managed to get through it because I ws listening to a dramatic reading from a guy that sounds a bit like Tim Curry.

As for the sig... That's actually a very good question I've been meaning to research the answer to.

If research articles & Master Thesis count? This is pretty much the single greatest tragedy to ever be produced by post-secondary education. If we're strictly counting novels as books? Harry Potter.

He lies, he cheats, he steals, and he's given accolades for it as time and time again, the faculty and staff of the educational facility critically fail any sort of basic human thought so Harry Potter can resolve the problem instead.

I really fail to understand why people love these books so much. I really, honestly do. It was seven books of "Harry Potter is fucking invincible." Then the author actually went right ahead and pretty much did make him invincible with the power of undead parent love. How exciting.

I do understand though, that many others did enjoy the books growing up. I didn't read them growing up, so I didn't view them from the eyes of a fascinated child. That's probably part of the issue. So consider my opinion an aberration that you needn't give a shit for if you do enjoy the books. :ferret:

I'm not picky over books and can ignore certain writing style quirks to a degree. The worst book I've read was Harry Potter with Twilight being a strong second place contender. I was conned into reading both.

Deal with it.

Reactions: Hana
I don't think Harry Potter is quite as bad as Twilight, but like any other book it can have its own shortcomings. The reason I enjoyed Harry Potter back then was because it seemed to fit my maturity level of the time. Now, looking back on it, I can easily see the holes in the logic. Why are the adults of the HP-verse so useless? Most of them also come out as boring now, after all this time. Some characters had the potential to be great and fascinating, but fall flat. I still like the Harry Potter universe, not so much the actual books. There's a whole lot of potential to create something good with the world, and some fanfiction regarding it is much more engaging than the actual series itself.

Reactions: LunaValentine
The maturity level in my case had little to do with my sentiments towards the HP-verse rather it was resisting pressure from others that I had to read this book because it was all the rave. I read it and was like "big whoop, now leave me the hell alone?" Same thing happened with twilight with the exception the girl I was with nudged me into reading it rather than shoving it down my throat. Again like with HP, I found nothing special about it. There was no hook to pull me into either of them.

Different strokes for different folks.

I don't think Harry Potter is quite as bad as Twilight, but like any other book it can have its own shortcomings. The reason I enjoyed Harry Potter back then was because it seemed to fit my maturity level of the time. Now, looking back on it, I can easily see the holes in the logic. Why are the adults of the HP-verse so useless? Most of them also come out as boring now, after all this time. Some characters had the potential to be great and fascinating, but fall flat. I still like the Harry Potter universe, not so much the actual books. There's a whole lot of potential to create something good with the world, and some fanfiction regarding it is much more engaging than the actual series itself.
A completely fair assessment.

Either way, the author is an awesome human being.

Reactions: Hana
I choked down one chapter of Twilight and then noped right out of there.

I forget which book exactly, because there's probably a million of them by now, but it was something from the House of Night series. I got to the line "I blinked my eyes a bunch of times" and put that thing back.

Divergent and company. I'll probably get hate for this, but.

Mockingjay.

...Pretty much just any YA novel.

Reactions: LunaValentine
Mockingjay.

I will admit that Mockingjay is probably the weakest of the Hunger Games series. At least in terms of the books.

The movies in general are far from perfect, but I think they improved Mockingjay a bit by spacing it out into two movies. I mean, yeah, they probably just split it up to make more money off of the franchise, buuut I can't help but feel like it improved Mockingjay's pacing.

Edit: At least judging by the first half.

I will admit that Mockingjay is probably the weakest of the Hunger Games series. At least in terms of the books.

The movies in general are far from perfect, but I think they improved Mockingjay a bit by spacing it out into two movies. I mean, yeah, they probably just split it up to make more money off of the franchise, buuut I can't help but feel like it improved Mockingjay's pacing.

Edit: At least judging by the first half.

I've honestly only seen the Hunger Games movie, so I can't really comment on this, but some Mockingjay improvement would be cool. The overall concept of the series seemed interesting.

But maybe I'm just a biased Battle Royale fan in the end...?

If research articles & Master Thesis count? This is pretty much the single greatest tragedy to ever be produced by post-secondary education. If we're strictly counting novels as books? Harry Potter.

He lies, he cheats, he steals, and he's given accolades for it as time and time again, the faculty and staff of the educational facility critically fail any sort of basic human thought so Harry Potter can resolve the problem instead.

I really fail to understand why people love these books so much. I really, honestly do. It was seven books of "Harry Potter is fucking invincible." Then the author actually went right ahead and pretty much did make him invincible with the power of undead parent love. How exciting.

I do understand though, that many others did enjoy the books growing up. I didn't read them growing up, so I didn't view them from the eyes of a fascinated child. That's probably part of the issue. So consider my opinion an aberration that you needn't give a shit for if you do enjoy the books. :ferret:

Calm down Professor Snape.

I choked down one chapter of Twilight and then noped right out of there.

Divergent and company. I'll probably get hate for this, but.

Mockingjay.

...Pretty much just any YA novel.
I must agree. Mockingjay seemed it was rushed and didn't pace as well as the previous books. Overall a good series with the movies being quite thrilling.

Ever heard of the My Immortal fanfiction?

I read that.

Yeah.
I did as well. The whole thing.

And then I read the second one.

The Atlantis Gene by A.G Riddle.

It seriously felt like I was reading a rough draft of a movie script.

Also, Eragon was pretty horrible to read. I just remember the characters being really dull, and there's one sequence in particular that REALLY annoyed me. I think it's when the main character is traveling with his mentor through the desert, I just remember the dialogue being really cliche. In the author's defense, wasn't he a teenager or something?

And the second book was a big improvement. I never read past that.

Status
Not open for further replies.