What's the worst book you've ever read?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do e-books count? If so, about 90% of the free, supposedly amazing e-books I've had the displeasure of reading. They are free, but I at least expect a book mostly free of grammatical errors, though I give them too much credit apparently.

If not, I can't say I've ever read any bad print books, but I've had my least favorites, most of them being school books such as The Crucible, Lord of the Flies, and some others.

Reactions: LunaValentine
Oh wow. Charlie Sheen in a mullet doesn't like a literary classic. I'm gonna have to rethink all my book choices now.
Trust me, I don't care for Charlie Sheen, but the Hot Shots! movies are fantastic comedies in the same whacky way 80s and 90s comedies were like Mafia, The Naked Gun, and so on.

I mean, the book's called Great Expectations, somebody was bound to make that joke. :P

Book called Babička (Grandma). Its supposed to be one of the most important books of Czech literature and you have to read it in order to pass High School, BUT ITS SO BLOODY BORING. It has 500 pages and on these 500 NOTHING happens. I had a stone in my hand while reading it and that stone turned into dust before I even managed to get read a half of that ****.
You're also Czech? o_O Also, yeah, I agree. I love books, but Babička is sooo boring. The only worse Czech book is Rozmarné léto which is not only boring, but also written in such a horrible prose it made me want to bash my head against the wall repeatedly.

Book called Babička (Grandma). Its supposed to be one of the most important books of Czech literature and you have to read it in order to pass High School, BUT ITS SO BLOODY BORING. It has 500 pages and on these 500 NOTHING happens. I had a stone in my hand while reading it and that stone turned into dust before I even managed to get read a half of that ****.
Reminds me of when I was reading The Bear and the Dragon by Tom Clancy years back. I love Tom Clancy novels, but the first half of that novel was so skull fuckingly boring and tedious I had to put the book down for a while, read like 6 others, and then came back to it because I hate not finishing books, even if I'm not enjoying it (I think there's only been 2 in my whole life where I was like "This isn't worth it." and left it be for eternity).

However, when I picked the book up again, it ended up hitting a totally awesome second half that was really exciting and action packed that finally made use of the dozens of seemingly pointless plot threads, so it was a powerful lesson that sometimes good stories are hiding behind mediocre ones in the same book.

Well Babička isn´t like thats. There were no sub-plots, there was no plot at all. It´s just a looooooooooot of reaaaaaally exhausting descriptions of a village life in the 19th century.

To be honest, there's never been a book I thought was terrible. There have been two I put down and didn't finish, but they weren't terrible - one was a gift and was aimed at a much younger audience than the age I was at the time, and one was someone else's book that I just wasn't in the mood for at the time and never ended up borrowing from them.

But in relation to Dervish's post and the posts about Babicka, I had a similar-ish experience when I was studying Chekhov. Yes, I'm gonna rant about how awesome he is again.
At first read it seems like literally eff all of significance happens. The play would have about one event in it, which may or may not even result in a change in the status quo, and was surrounded by a whole lot of superfluous crap that contributed nothing. No plot, no moral lessons, nothing. It wasn't until we actually analysed and studied the plays that I realised what absolute genius Chekhov was, and how much goes on without being said explicitly. Indeed, that turned out to be the entire point - that it all went on beneath the surface. Perhaps Babicka is the same.

MOBY DICK.

I hate this book. I hate it so much. It is 500 pages of utter whale shit. I mean, it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't filled with so much goddamn filler. You could probably remove 90% of this book and not miss anything important.

And the narrator, Ishmael, let me tell you why he's a terrible narrator -- he rambles about everything. He not only describes every little thing in the most ridiculous detail, but he also goes on these insane tangents every other paragraph where he just rambles on about... anything. I would give examples but it was just so hard to focus on this guy's nonsense and I wound up forgetting most of his incoherency immediately after I read it. Still made it all a chore to read, though -- and incredibly difficult to pick out anything important (and important scenes are about as common as a needle in a haystack with this mess). Oh, and then there's the fact that he's fucking obsessed with whales. Remember that rambling that I told you about? Yeah, a lot of it is him going off about whales. First, he compares things to whales. I can get behind a bit of symbolism here and there, but that sort of thing falls apart when fucking everything can be symbolized with a goddamn whale. And then, often, he's just talking about how majestic or how powerful whales are. For no real reason.

And then there are entire chapters that just... have no place in anything. At one point, I came across a chapter where he was just talking about different whale species in what I assumed was an attempt to figure out what sort of species Moby Dick was supposed to be. But, by the end of the chapter I realized that, no, apparently there was no such goal. He just wanted to educate us about all the different whale species in the world (most of which was him admitting that there's a ton we don't know about them (given the books' age)). And the entire chapter didn't even feel like part of a narrative anymore, more like an essay. And I thought that would be the only one but noooooo there were so many more. He then decided to go on essay-like spiels about various other topics -- all whale related! -- such as, debating with himself whether a whale is a fish or a mammal, talking about artwork depicting whales throughout history and criticizing a lot of it for being very anatomically incorrect, discussing all the different ways to cook whale meat, and listing his reasoning as to why humans are kind of hunting whales to extinction. That last one probably has the most what-the-fuck ending of all of them, as, well, not only did whale populations actually reach near-extinction in real life, but Ishmael actually mentions a lot of good reasons to think that they might reach that point, even bringing up the example that there used to be plenty of buffalo in the Western US until we killed all of those, too. And then, how does the chapter end? Pretty much with him saying, "But despite all this whales can't go extinct, because they are too mighty and amazing". YEAH OK.

There are lots of tiny things in this book that have no reason to exist, either. Like, there's one point where Ishmael gets kicked by one of his boat-mates for some reason, and says in his narration, "That was my first kick". Then, in my copy of the book at least, there was a footnote attached to that statement that said, "Beyond this point, neither Ishmael nor anyone else in the story is kicked ever again".

ADJSDFJKLDSJDKL

Oh and speaking of the footnotes, which most of the time just exist to make more sense of Ishmael's nonsense, are sometimes equally pointless. Like, there was one point in the book where they were hunting a mother whale and mentioned how her milk spilled out into the ocean, and there was a footnote attached to that, saying something along the lines of, "Whale milk is actually very sweet. It would probably go well with strawberries."

WHAT THE FLYING FUCK.

Oh, and, despite how much I've already said that I hate Ishmael as a narrator, I actually find it even more annoying that he isn't even the narrator 100% of the time. Because for some reason, I think more than halfway through the book, the story suddenly switched to Ahab's perspective for about a page and a half, and then it switched to someone else's, etc etc for a couple chapters. Hey, hey Melville, if one narrator alone isn't suitable to tell your story, there's this thing you can use called 3rd person.

And I mean, it wouldn't be that bad if they were doing that sort of thing from the start, since some books can do that well, but, no, this came up completely out of nowhere, and it disappeared afterwords, never to come up again.

Oh, but before it stopped, you know what that changing of perspectives escalated to? There was at least a solid chapter where the perspective changed pretty much line-by-line, enough for each character to give one line of dialogue and maybe one action or so.

Do you know what that's called? That's a fucking stage play. The book just decided to be a stage play for a chapter or so, and then went right back to being 1st person rambling. Whaaaat.

And then, at the end of it all, the climax went by in the blink of an eye. I actually remember myself thinking, "Wait, that's it?" and re-read the last page or two. But yeah, this amazing encounter with Moby Dick that they've been building up for the past 500 pages (though I guess, realistically, it was about 100 pages of buildup and 400 pages of nothing), happened so quickly that I was barely even aware that it happened, and hardly even felt like it had a climax.

Fuck this book. Fuck it with a bloody harpoon.

Oh, and did I mention that there's an entire chapter describing a whale's penis in great detail? ashjdflkjdsklfjadskldf;ajld;

Do you know that you're now rambling as well? The very thing you're complaining about?

Don't get me wrong, that sounds incredibly annoying to page through. Haven't read Moby Dick myself, but now I'm really debating if I even want to.

This thread is really useful it turns out!

Infinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon, Fifty Shades of Grey, and some really shitty teacher x student erotica e-book with absolutely no character development whatsoever, about 25 pages, no scenarios carried out, just wish fulfillment and sex.

Infinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon, Fifty Shades of Grey, and some really shitty teacher x student erotica with absolutely no character development whatsoever, about 25 pages, no scenarios carried out, just wish fulfillment and sex.
You actually made it through Fifty Shades of Grey? Kudos to your mental fortitude. I heard the premise, laughed and refused to even hold the book.

I don't know if you'd consider how much I read as "making it through" but I read some scenarios. It's shit.

Do you know that you're now rambling as well? The very thing you're complaining about?

Don't get me wrong, that sounds incredibly annoying to page through. Haven't read Moby Dick myself, but now I'm really debating if I even want to.

This thread is really useful it turns out!

Except that every part of my rambling relates back to my point. All of it's relevant to explain why the book is utter nonsense and, hell, I even held back quite a bit in regards to the fact that I didn't bring up every thing about the book that bothered me -- just enough to prove my point.

I didn't spend five paragraphs talking about the fact that I'm explaining all this on a roleplaying forum even though, in this section of the forum, we don't actually roleplay, and that, when you think about it, Iwaku is a lot like a whale.

There's a difference between rambling about a point you're trying to make and rambling that is completely out-of-place in context, especially for a novel. A novel isn't the place to have 20 essay-like chapters about whale anatomy.

I was kidding.

Infinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon, Fifty Shades of Grey, and some really shitty teacher x student erotica e-book with absolutely no character development whatsoever, about 25 pages, no scenarios carried out, just wish fulfillment and sex.

Teacher and student erotica gets disturbing when you realize a lot of it is based on real people and wish fulfillment, like you said.

I don't know if you'd consider how much I read as "making it through" but I read some scenarios. It's shit.
It's more than I did. All I had to hear was, "oh, it's twilight fan fiction." That was the end for me.

Teacher and student erotica gets disturbing when you realize a lot of it is based on real people and wish fulfillment, like you said.
I didn't know there were teacher x student erotica out there that was based on real people. But yeah, wish fulfillment is definitely disturbing. I could write a teacher x student erotica so much better than what I read.
It's more than I did. All I had to hear was, "oh, it's twilight fan fiction." That was the end for me.
I never heard it was twilight fan fiction until years later so yeah XP

Ah, that would make it a bit easier to give a shot. The first I heard of it was as, "some twilight fan fiction that's making a killing." I was deeply saddened.

I'm reminded of when I was a kid, racing go karts and I was having some trouble placeing anything better than 4th on every race. My dad, a very competitive person, bought me a book on racing chassis and tire pressure and made me read it every time he saw me.

It was the dryest book in existence for a 13 year old kid, and I think I had to read it 4 times over and it was completely incomprehensible.

As much as I love the world he created, I had to stop reading The Fellowship of the Ring because I could not handle the Tom Bombadil part.

He is really important to nature, I get it, can we please move on?

Other books that come to mind are some of the young adult novels my mom got me or the crappy 1950's mystery books my grandma kept finding in her basement and giving to me for my birthdays.

Went through a Wattpad phase a few years back. No one can deny that there would be gems and there would be something awful with how many ebooks are churned out there every day. While I can't remember each and every book I've read, remembering the romance genre there and the people's fascination with One Direction makes me laugh. Yeah.

Reactions: chainedfiction
Status
Not open for further replies.