What's the most philosophical thing you've said recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

determinator

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Give-No-Fucks
  2. Intermediate
  3. Adept
  4. Advanced
  5. Prestige
  6. Douche
  7. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
I asked because I'm a Philosoraptor in secret and had a conversation recently that went a little like this—

[5:40:18 PM] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: and "swear to me. swear to me that everything that you said about the fireflies was true."

"I swear."
[5:41:00 PM] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: I've since grown to love and prefer games that give me the cathartic "…oh." feeling at the end lmao
[5:41:51 PM] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: and then I read people going "Joel chose to save a little girl over humanity? Bullshit!" and I feel like they missed the entire point of the story
[5:42:28 PM] : the saddest part of TLOU was when Sarah died
[5:42:31 PM] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: people don't like realistic endings to anything they watch, so I understand
[5:42:32 PM] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: oh yeah
[5:42:38 PM] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: and fucking naughty dog putting that in the prologue
[5:42:44 PM] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: hats off to them
[5:42:54 PM] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: mad props, the assholes
[5:43:21 PM] : so in some, ellie sort of became like a daughter to Joel. I think he called her Baby Girl. ugh. Joel
[5:43:26 PM] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: I just find in-your-face realism in things refreshing when everything is made into some happy ending to appease the viewers
[5:44:08 PM] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: Persona 3, The Last of Us, TWD, and games like them had endings that were in no way happy at all but they still moved every single person that played the games
[5:45:04 PM] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: and people lambaste them because "humanity! Joel's an ass!"—this is true, in that view, but imo people that say these things haven't really looked at themselves or humanity in the way that those games require
[5:45:43 PM] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: morality is not black and white. it's not cut and dry. people talk in shoulds, not wills, so a grand amount of people act like a hypothetical is what they would 100% do without thinking about who they would be in the situation of the characters
[5:46:25 PM] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: it's because many people don't want to be seen as amoral or immoral or a monster by society because they aren't doing or saying they would do the most right thing in every situation real or hypothetical
[5:47:20 PM] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: and they don't realize that as individuals and as humanity, we are not an amazing species. we destroy everything we touch—and while there are many amazing people pushing us forward, there are mounds more that give humanity its sobering definition of predator
[5:47:53 PM] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: so when people say that they would without a doubt save someone or loads of people as a kneejerk reaction to a hypothetical, I tend to think they're lying until they can prove otherwise
[5:48:07 PM] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: bystander syndrome would not exist if this was truly the case
[5:48:37 PM] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: we can all speak about what we would or should do but when it comes down to it, only a very rare and small handful of people would actually do it, and those people probably aren't thinking about "what would I do if x?" they'd just do it.
[5:49:25 PM] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: it's the wondering and "shoulds" and "woulds" that shackle people to being unable to help others, where those who don't allow those things to hold them back are the ones that actually do what everyone else say they "would"
[5:50:25 PM] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: we're all equal. we're all the same as everyone else. fundamentally, I think we're all amoral (I can elaborate). but it's in admitting that none of us are gods or better than others for arbitrary reasons that we can see things more clearly
[5:51:52 PM] : girl. you're going in deep and im not even sure if you're still talking about TLOU still or about something else lol
[5:53:11 PM] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: meh. the themes there underlie tlou pretty strongly
[5:56:31 PM] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: I mean, most of people's problems with TLOU lies in what Joel did and why and their disagreement with it, but I rarely see people who go any deeper than "I wouldn't do that, no way no how, no matter what" and tend to bristle if someone asks "but are you sure?"
[5:59:52 PM | Edited 6:00:05 PM] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: people, their psychology, humanity, life
none of those things are static, which seems to be the headspace (that they are static) people go into when speculating about moral situations.
there are just too many variables to know what you or anyone else would do in any situation, and saying "I would do the best thing" about the hypotheticals does nothing but serve as comfort.
[6:00:43 PM] ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: words don't determine what a moral paragon or great person someone is. their actions do.

—and I wondered what kind of weird 1,000-year-old philosophical things other people spew at random.

I want to see the splendor of your souls, Iwoks. Feed me your inner Keanu Reeves.

"If you spend all your life pondering life's eccentricities, you will never find the answers behind her veil."

• Love
Reactions: determinator
"If it matters, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse. Now get back to work."

"Sour about that."

Reactions: castigat
"Too many people sit around and complain about the stuff they can't do that others can, instead of finding time to improve themselves, or learning those things."

Said during a rather emotional Skype conversation.

• Love
Reactions: determinator
"If you keep hesitating like that, you'll never beat me. Doubts and fears never spark progress."

Me while gaming with my friend.

I'm a supportive gamer, not really a competitive one.

Until I get riled up. Then I start yelling. "You don't know what you're in for!" "You done, kid!" "You cannot beat me!" "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE IN FOR!" "CHECK YOURSELF BEFORE YOU WRECK YOURSELF, SON!"
*Counter*
*Counter*
*Counter*
*Punish*

Reactions: castigat
I think I've had a few conversations highlighting my morality, but I can't really capture them as easily unless I'm actually talking about it.

I'm basically a moral nihilist/relativist/skeptic and it's great seeing, hearing, and reading people's reactions when they hear my opinion on morality and good and bad.

Either spend your life pondering what it could have been, or actually live it. Personally, I choose the latter, because I think sometimes daydreamers get stuck in fantasy than reality. Which is fine if you want to live in another world, I won't stop you. But don't drag others into it because not everyone can see through your eyes, we must go on to living our own separate realities.

Said to someone who was wondering too much about the what if's of life.

Another time:

You know, she's gone. She really is. Sitting here and crying about her death isn't doing me anything good, I'm lucky to have known her let alone been close to her before she died. People die, but not everyone lives. I hope I can live and have a marvelous death.

Look below. The potato and I.
Not a whole lot else going on in my head as you can see to the left.

I often explain things with colorful metaphors and vulgarity, so the most recent philosophical thing I said needs to be put in a spoiler. It was in response to someone complaining to me about all the bad things in their life (money woes, not getting into the college they wanted, getting yelled at at work for making a mistake, etc.) and saying it wasn't fair.

Life is not fair. Bad things happen all the time with no regard for who you are or what you've gone through. It's just a fact of life. You're going to be fucked in the ass by bad shit happening, and your family members are going to be fucked in the ass, and your friends, and everyone on the goddamn planet. There is no effective chastity belt to protect you from the dick in ass paradigm of life. You can either lube yourself up and bend over to get through it as quick as possible, or you can struggle and rail against it and end up with your asshole torn apart. Right now you're struggling and aiming to end up with your shitter looking like it took a close range shotgun blast. What you should be doing instead is what I do with my problems: take that dick like a champion, go power bottom mode and demand a reacharound to make it work for you. You've got to turn your problems into motivations to improve yourself and your life, otherwise you'll go through all the bad shit for fucking nothing. Just laying there and crying about being used and abused won't solve a damn thing. If you get proactive about it you can maybe get some for yourself in the end, and that's a lot better than just waiting for another cock to come a-knocking on your back door.

Closer to motivational speaking than philosophy, but hey, it works.

Not really that philosophical, but something on the lines, perhaps:

A couple of pixels won't hurt you, neither will they bite. If you are affected by a number, a word, or a sentence online, then you're just as bad.

...it's funny isn't it? How the best stories involve people suffering the worst hardships? It's self-centered to think that I could be the hero of this book that we're all a part of. But sometimes I just see pages ahead of me- pages that I can fill with every twist and turn that would create a bestseller.

• Love
Reactions: Hatsune Candy
I often explain things with colorful metaphors and vulgarity, so the most recent philosophical thing I said needs to be put in a spoiler. It was in response to someone complaining to me about all the bad things in their life (money woes, not getting into the college they wanted, getting yelled at at work for making a mistake, etc.) and saying it wasn't fair.

Life is not fair. Bad things happen all the time with no regard for who you are or what you've gone through. It's just a fact of life. You're going to be fucked in the ass by bad shit happening, and your family members are going to be fucked in the ass, and your friends, and everyone on the goddamn planet. There is no effective chastity belt to protect you from the dick in ass paradigm of life. You can either lube yourself up and bend over to get through it as quick as possible, or you can struggle and rail against it and end up with your asshole torn apart. Right now you're struggling and aiming to end up with your shitter looking like it took a close range shotgun blast. What you should be doing instead is what I do with my problems: take that dick like a champion, go power bottom mode and demand a reacharound to make it work for you. You've got to turn your problems into motivations to improve yourself and your life, otherwise you'll go through all the bad shit for fucking nothing. Just laying there and crying about being used and abused won't solve a damn thing. If you get proactive about it you can maybe get some for yourself in the end, and that's a lot better than just waiting for another cock to come a-knocking on your back door.

Closer to motivational speaking than philosophy, but hey, it works.
Lern2enjoy anal.

Jorick, 2015.

• Love
Reactions: Jorick
Don't interest yourself in the things you cannot accomplish now.

The things you can do now, do now. The things you can do but don't have the time for, do them later - but actually find a time to do them later.

As you scratch things off, the things you think you can't accomplish will gradually start to fall into place.

If you ever get fired from a job, it was never the right one for you to begin with.

"You're a fart in the universe; whatever you do or whatever happens to you in life doesn't matter in its relativity."

After reading tons of metaphysics and suffering from depersonalization-derealization disorder for two years, this is the only thing I've learned and say whenever someone wants 'philosophy'.

The responses I get is always this: "pessimist" or "what?"

The best way you can ever cure a broken heart is to cry, mourn and move on. Life never promised to be easy, go in expecting it and life will knock you on your ass.

"It's funny what you'll see when you look past what's being focused on."

It was an unintentional part of a casual conversation, but casual conversations these days tend to get a bit heavy. Who knows why.

In conversation with a family member who recently found out just how life can really be...

"Sitting here feeling sorry for yourself just condemns you to a life of mediocrity."

Status
Not open for further replies.