What's something you'd really love to learn more about?

Diana

LOOK HOW CALM SHE IS
Original poster
ADMINISTRATOR
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Romance, Supernatural, Fantasy, Thriller, Space Exploration, Slice of Life
Unless you absolutely hate learning, most of us have a few things that pique our interests, but we don't have the time or access to learn more. Learning can be a full time job, and if you already have a job or are trapped in school, you just can't squeeze in that goodness. Or maybe you do have the time, but you're lacking the motivation!

Right now I am wishing I knew more about etymology and the history of language. I really want to create my own language one day to be a cool piece of fantasy lore in a novel series. But I find myself just not having the patience to sit down and really study how language evolves so I can create something natural. >:[ One day, though, one day.

What's something YOU'D really love to learn more about but haven't found the time or motivation to do it yet?

Right now I am wishing I knew more about etymology and the history of language.
Not sure if you've seen this Youtube Channel, but it's pretty interesting ^_^

As for what I'd like to learn? Hm... Drawing/Painting. I've always loved art but never really got a chance to actually learn it. Nowadays I compensate by doing stuff on photoshop, but even that's amateur at best.

Korean. I've always wanted to add another language to my repertoire, and that's on top of the list right now.

Psychology/sociology. I think those subjects are really neat, and would probably help my future career a lot, but I don't how how easy it would be to take *another* degree.

Drawing for sure. I've always wanted to learn how to draw and maybe even animate, to bring my characters and stories to life. I've always wanted to make my own webcomic, unfortunately, the artistic ability is very smol and weak! I've recently started trying to draw for an hour a day for 30 days to get better :"D but it's a struggle, I've already missed 2 days. It's one of those things I want but the motivation to improve is just...not there.

Japanese and Korean o__o

Also photography and drawing/painting (particularly with acrylic as the medium).

EDIT: And dancing and vocals

The general suite of knowledge and abilities that I lazily refer to as photoshop skills. I barely know what the hell I'm doing when it comes to basic image editing, but I would like to learn how to do cool shit so I can make nice graphics for things on my own, rather than relying on other people to do it. I know there are tons of resources out there, and I have many bookmarked, but I've just never found the time to really focus on it.

Oh, and closely related to the above, I'd love to learn how to make nice maps from scratch. I've yet to find a free program that does the things I want, and I don't have the money to spend on a program like Campaign Cartographer 3 that does all the good shit from world maps to town maps to tabletop battle maps. Learning the general photoshop skills would basically be the first major step toward map creation skills.

American Sign Language and more generally, linguistics of sign languages.

I started to learn ASL on my own a couple years back, and I can make some baby sentences now, but where I live now, there is zero ASL resources in real life. The nearest college that offered it was 2 hours away and they recently killed the course. When I lived in Hawaii it was pretty easy to learn as I had a long bus commute and I'd just watch Bill Vicars to and from school. Nowadays though I hardly ever have the motivation to go "OK I am going to dedicate 1 hour to watching an ASL lesson today." Which is all on me, I know. It just kinda sucks you can't learn ASL while doing ANYTHING else, because sign language takes your full attention.
(Which is also one of the kind of interesting things about it)

Anyway that and I guess just any other language, really. Being one of those people who can pick up new languages quickly would be awesome. I have Korean neighbors who don't speak english very well so it'd be nice to learn some of that to communicate better. Similarly my nearby hongwanji is Chinese so Mandarin would be nice. Spanish and Japanese are everywhere too, though to be fair I used to know a decent amount of each but then forgot it all due to non-use.

Computer code. It's something I could probably learn easily if I just set aside the time for it, since I've got an in-house expert, but I've just never set aside the time. Though, I've actually managed to get this as part of my school starting yesterday, so we'll see how that goes.

I haven't touched the piano in years. I'm thinking of picking it up again. I'm not very good at it, but I want to be. I'd also like to brush up on my Japanese, since I have been and will be living in Japan for some time. Also, it would be great if I could learn how to draw. Imagine drawing your characters just as you envision them to be. Man, that would be nice.

I would love to learn Spanish, since my son-in-law is Spanish speaking. Also, I'd love to re-learn sign language. I used to know how but it's been so long I have forgotten most of it.

I'd like to learn a craft. Something I could get practical use out of while being a good creative outlet.

Last edited:
Film-making! Various tenets of it, whether that be the craft of a cinematographer, or a script-writer, or even acting.

There are a couple languages I'd like to learn. Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Maybe Italian. Along with that though would be like: drawing better but I have no patience and probably more about hardware design, electrical stuff. it's neat to me. stuff like board repair is fascinating to me.

Psychology would be an interesting subject, I think. As would drawing/painting.

:cookie:

Lots of foreign languages.

Also, Roman and Egyptian history, because holy shit, their history and architecture is awesome.

I want to learn all the things o__o
Coding is high on my list and I've given it a shot before but I got a little disheartened when I looked for information about something online and found a bunch of people answering a similar question with "did you even try to do it yourself?" and "just google it".

Languages, more languages! Learning a language to higher levels takes a lot of time and hard, grindy work. At some point, I'd like to do it again, though.

Better drawing. I like to dabble but I'm in awe of people that can make something lovely from nothing.

I have quite the list as well. cx

I've always wanted to learn Korean, though since I'm studying Japanese at the moment I've held that off because I've found that it's very easy to mix up the two writing's if you're not careful, haha. They have symbols that look the same but mean totally different things.

Cloud physics and meteorology would be another thing that I'd love to actually take a deeper look into studying! I've done my own research here and there, but being able to tell when/if a storm is coming(without having to watch the news or look at a report) is something that I've always been really into even if I didn't really notice it myself haha.

Sewing; while I have some skills in it I'd love to learn from a veteran sewer and find out all the fancy techniques that make it a bit easier. Especially hand sewing, I'd love to learn how to hand embroider things.

I'd like to learn photography and videography. I see so many things that would make awesome photos and video's but all my attempts at capturing them are just terrible.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Nemopedia and Diana
Coding, design, music, languages!

There is so much I would love to learn and study a little more. At the moment I'm into languages again and poetry. Pips got me. o_o