3. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Urban Fantasy, High Fantasy, Epic Quest, Sci-Fi, Time Travel and World Hopping, Steampunk, Action/Adventure, Modern Drama, Mystery, Slice of Life, Romance, and many more.
Something that was - large or small - a unique part of your original world, or something original you added to a fandom world. It can be anything from a flower or creature to a species or city.

How about a "world" configured as a toroid... a huge "donut" with a sun/stargate at its center, homeworld to a sentient/sapient species of techno-organic adaptimorphs? All with its own unique lifeforms, biology and ecology/cycles.

Reactions: Minibit
A liquid-ammonia and silicon based species of biomechanoids that did neat science stuff. I went way overboard with the descriptions, but I had a ton of fun and I'm quite proud of it. Through them, I created an entire world and culture that I consider very unique and special.

One thing? Uh..... I can't do just one thing since I have been worldbuildling for years and my tastes have changed even as things evolved brilliantly when I played them out to players.

Oh, forgot to include a pic of Rotor, in his "ground" form.

I can't do just one thing since I have been worldbuildling for years and my tastes have changed even as things evolved brilliantly when I played them out to players.
I'm pretty much the same.
I've been worldbuilding for so long in so many genres that it's hard to pinpoint which creation I'm most proud of, especially since most of my favorite creations are more like collaborations involving multiple parties than just a singular design from myself. Even if I did most of the work, I can't claim full credit when other people added such fantastic and dramatic features that helped shaped them into what they are now.

But along that line of thinking, I think can say that the moments I am most proud of my worldbuilding is when people want to join in~

One thing? Uh..... I can't do just one thing since I have been worldbuildling for years and my tastes have changed even as things evolved brilliantly when I played them out to players.
I'm pretty much the same.
I've been worldbuilding for so long in so many genres that it's hard to pinpoint which creation I'm most proud of, especially since most of my favorite creations are more like collaborations involving multiple parties than just a singular design from myself. Even if I did most of the work, I can't claim full credit when other people added such fantastic and dramatic features that helped shaped them into what they are now.

But along that line of thinking, I think can say that the moments I am most proud of my worldbuilding is when people want to join in~
You don't have to pick one favourite thing; you can mention a bunch of things; it's just "one thing you're proud of", not "the one thing you're most proud of" :P

ooh, um, well, a couple years back i made these two rival gangs whose head honchos were these immortal godlike beings who would embed a piece of their soul, crystalized into red or blue depending on your faction, into their members. The crystals give their members powers and they go around finding lost pieces of their benefactor's souls which are the cause of strange supernatural occurrences. often they fight and in the streets this is known as their gang war battles; they're also quite dangerous because they tend to use their powers in these fights

• Love
I'm pretty proud of my Naming Magic system that @Jorick helped me to build with his awesome expansion ^_^

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Jorick
I'm really really happy with this character design. Lady who drew it for me really caught the species/character, though she drew him in a Disney/101 Dalmatians style. Shame she had RL issues, and vanished from the RP site where we played. Never was able to get that final, "realistic" artwork done.

RP example, to go with pic...

Probably the basis behind Aurora's geography (if you could even call it that!). I wanted to create a fantasy world that was above and beyond your typical flatland mystical world filled with forests and mountains. I started with a pretty broad idea of how to go about producing such a thing, so initially it was a bit of a process in trying to think of something novel.

The first thing I did was list as many common tropes as I could pertaining to fantasy geography; what were common aspects? Obviously the fact that fantasy lands tend to be Earthly maps with varied country borders and landmasses, so I immediately thought, "How can I completely twist this?" The first thing that came to mind was a world that didn't follow traditional flatland ideas? What if the world were severely curved? Perhaps a skyland? I knew then that a skyworld was also a common trope, so I tried twisting it further. Rather than having floating landmasses, why not miniature planets? Worlds in and of themselves that are nevertheless part of a common sky? I thought the idea of seeing a planet in your own atmosphere would be an incredible sight, so I continued on with that idea.

Eventually more and more development had created Aurora's geography; that of a collection of spherical worlds all floating in the same shared sky above an endless ocean. Additional thought went to into governing how such worlds could even feasibly work, as well as transportation, day and night cycles (considering the "sun" in the sky did not actually move, but rather ignited and extinguished daily to simulate cycles).

I personally think the setting is pretty novel, which is why I'm so proud of it.

In another roleplay venture that exists now elsewhere, I attempted to create a science fiction setting with a fantasy twist. I didn't just merge them, though; I spent hours and hours analyzing what created the tones for both, the themes, interaction styles, plot types, tropes, so on and so forth. My clear goal was to capture the successful and poplar fantasy archetype but sculpt it into another genre that made it work. One of the things that helped me achieve this was how I addressed magic, if you can call it that. In the world, magic and mutations existed side by side. Essentially, all inhuman abilities were ways of manipulating a fictional elementary particle, informally called Ley (because it was thought of as mana, or energy, and never so formally researched to be given a name). Ley itself had no true mass or unit of measure; as long as requisite materials were available (more ley), it could absorb or disperse Ley. It could change its charge at will. It could, with perfect efficiency, transition between wave and particle, where all of its traits could be as easily altered as they are as a particle. Ley, in essence, could fulfill the role of any sub atomic particle or form of energy, and Ley was capable of being manipulated by living beings. Whether it was through magic, mutations or both, the manipulation of Ley and later Ley-Lines (massive, vein like structures of Ley inside the Earth) acted as the scientific explanation for mutations while also opening the doors to all sorts of mechanisms for magic. Mutations were a line in between. Magic itself was so rare, as fact, that mutations were considered the only way to control Ley, and even then people didn't just "know" about it - it wasn't treated as common knowledge. Characters grew up in a post-Apocalyptic world that went on to become something else hundreds of years after the old world's fall. Mutations weren't "explained", they just were; all of this knowledge almost never actually seeped into the narrative, and that's why I love it. As people, we went tens of thousands of years existing in a world where we didn't really know about physics, and I think recapturing that in a roleplay made this single creation my favorite. It acts as a guiding force, a fundamental principle and a powerful tool for explanation while rarely coming into contact with characters. The explanation I have for it is so broad that there's essentially nothing that it cannot explain, so what I can allow players for creativity is limitless. The limitations then became the theme of the roleplay and because I could work on preserving the original theme I had in mind, creating a fantastical, post-Apocalyptic science fiction setting was made a whole lot easier.

Well then if we are discussing singular things to be proud of.

A setting I have only used for tabletop gaming with friends thus far (like many of my settings) called Spiritshell Realms (for lack of a better name).

Essentailly the setting is an infinite recursion loop, each sun is encased in a sphere which hosts the life there, if one were to dig through the life layer one is on... once would see the fact that they are in fact the sun of another layer! To make this work the sun for each layer dims and brightens in sequence, creating day and night, it also simulates seasons.

In addition to this strangeness, when you go to a different layer you will find things are the exact same size, even though it seems like it should be smaller/larger, that is because the scale of things is adjusted automatically.

Reality itself is also split into the Astral realm of ideas and thought, as wll as material reality as we understand it. In the astral realm are spirits, these are essentially intelligent aspects of the world that have their own agendas. With the right knowledge it is possible for material beings to make bargains with them in order to achieve special and powerful effects.

This is possible because as the astral realm is what hosts thought, the minds of creatures reside there, tied to a material body which they spend their own spiritual energy to manipulate. Some of them can learn to extend their senses into the astral around their minds and thus achieve effects of spirit power by having the spirit channel their power through them.

In addition to this since ones own spirit power is what moves the body and lets it do things, it is possible to through sufficient training achieve seemingly miraculous feats through ones own spirit power. These feats are an extension of something you have already practised normally and are rarely considered magic, merely "sufficient skill".

Feats like

Running through a forest, covering your tracks as you go
Dodging an explosion at point blank
Making items with extreme properties (Swords that can cut stone, Boots that make you run faster etc. etc.)

In amongst this I have only really created much information about one layer, the layer the campaign happened in of course. For the nations and such there I mostly started making them in the following way.

"What would I get if I mashed up historical society A with historical society B and then adapted it to this setting?".

Got som interesting results to say the least, and my players liked it so I would say I did a good job.

I created an entire species and alien planet called Everlock. I was even starting to develop a language for them, but I kinda gave up after a while. I have too much school to worry about (including learning French...). Anyways, I developed the species, the planet itself, and the culture. I did, sadly, lose a lot of its description a while back, but I have it mostly memorized.

I have too much school to worry about (including learning French...

Maybe learning a language IRL will be helpful for inventing your own! You should give it another go when you can parle vous Francois, Bon chance!
(Trans: speak French, good luck!)

Status
Not open for further replies.