What'cha Reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The past week I read Bird Box, The Andromeda Strain, and been working on the complete works of HP Lovecraft. Only like 50 pages from Call of Cthulhu, which is 90% of why I bought it.

Reactions: dreamshell
I'm currently rereading my war and strategy books to refresh my memory for roleplay plotting.

So, I'm reading Sun Tzu's Art of War currently, and will be reading Clauswitz's The Prince and On War soon.
Art of War is a classic. One of my favorite reads since I vas a kid. And vhats more, despite the title, the book itself is a good source of inspiration on how to aproach, analyze, and deal with any type of conflict in your life, of vhatever kind; physical, psychological or metaphorical. Or on the right mindset to have, vhen trying to overcome a seemingly daunting chalenge. I cant count the number of times I found inspiration vith-in its pages, vhen things seemed at a all-time-low and I had no idea how to deal vith the shit life thrown at me. After all, life is esentialy one big war, that you wage vith anything and everything around you, one way or another.

I strongly recomend that book for everyone to read. It is awsome.

Reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson and Trutchwitch by Susan Dennard on a friend's recommendation atm. Sanderson is as brilliant as always whilst Trutchwitch is a bit slower to get into.

Was wondering as a general idea so well; anyone interested in potentially forming a book club?

@Pachamac

Book club sounds fun.

For actual good books, I mean, because I already have a book club for reading terrible ones (and playing a drinking game as we do so). We are currently reading Life and Death by Stephenie Meyer, a.k.a. the rewrite of Twilight where she just swapped everyone's genders.

I also am rereading Good Omens by Neil Gaiman because I just chucked a copy at @Kooriryu 's head.

Reactions: Hana and Pachamac
The past week I read Bird Box, The Andromeda Strain, and been working on the complete works of HP Lovecraft. Only like 50 pages from Call of Cthulhu, which is 90% of why I bought it.
I loved Bird Box! It wasn't at all what I was expecting, but I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Reactions: Dervish
@Pachamac

Book club sounds fun.

For actual good books, I mean, because I already have a book club for reading terrible ones (and playing a drinking game as we do so). We are currently reading Life and Death by Stephenie Meyer, a.k.a. the rewrite of Twilight where she just swapped everyone's genders.

I also am rereading Good Omens by Neil Gaiman because I just chucked a copy at @Kooriryu 's head.
... Because I'm cheap.

this book is fukken entertaining.

Reactions: Astaroth
I loved Bird Box! It wasn't at all what I was expecting, but I was pleasantly surprised by it.

I would have put the author down but I couldn't quite remember! But I really enjoyed it, it was a surprisingly good page turner with a genuinely creepy premise. It was a recommendation from the Chapters employee, and it turns out it was right along the lines of what I was looking for.

I would have put the author down but I couldn't quite remember! But I really enjoyed it, it was a surprisingly good page turner with a genuinely creepy premise. It was a recommendation from the Chapters employee, and it turns out it was right along the lines of what I was looking for.
If you like creepy I suggest The Grass Monkey by Scott Langrel. It's one of the books that I picked up for free from one of the Kindle websites that I subscribe to. I thought it'd be crap, but it was actually pretty good. It's a series of short stories, which usually turn off most people, but I thought they were pretty good, and they're not the usual ghost stories people throw into horror novels.

@Dannyel

It is literally the same book, with some editing for word choice and some expanded/altered scenes. Large portions of the text remain the same except for pronouns/names.

That said, I have to admit that what is new shows some improvement. The first chapter's pacing is better. Her dialogue has gotten a bit better. But she's still... not a very good writer. Beau is just as annoying as Bella and has even less of a spine, and Stephenie Meyer frequently points out his OCD by talking about how OCD he is. Edythe is just as creepy and unlikable as Edward, with an added touch of dimples- which she apparently "throws" at people. Meyer also takes occasional pauses to pat herself on the back for not being sexist. This is made more hilarious because she often does this while she is being kind of sexist.

We have so far not gotten through more than a chapter per session because we keep getting sloppy drunk. I'm averaging 10-15 shots per chapter.

@Dannyel

It is literally the same book, with some editing for word choice and some expanded/altered scenes. Large portions of the text remain the same except for pronouns/names.

That said, I have to admit that what is new shows some improvement. The first chapter's pacing is better. Her dialogue has gotten a bit better. But she's still... not a very good writer. Beau is just as annoying as Bella and has even less of a spine, and Stephenie Meyer frequently points out his OCD by talking about how OCD he is. Edythe is just as creepy and unlikable as Edward, with an added touch of dimples- which she apparently "throws" at people. Meyer also takes occasional pauses to pat herself on the back for not being sexist. This is made more hilarious because she often does this while she is being kind of sexist.

We have so far not gotten through more than a chapter per session because we keep getting sloppy drunk. I'm averaging 10-15 shots per chapter.
10-15 shots per chapter??? How are you not dead???

That said, that sounds like a really fun way to spend an evening haha!

If you like creepy I suggest The Grass Monkey by Scott Langrel. It's one of the books that I picked up for free from one of the Kindle websites that I subscribe to. I thought it'd be crap, but it was actually pretty good. It's a series of short stories, which usually turn off most people, but I thought they were pretty good, and they're not the usual ghost stories people throw into horror novels.

I'll have to try to remember that! I actually enjoy short story format when it comes to horror; bit-sized fixes of unsettling shit is a pleasure.

Reactions: Astaroth
I read a bunch of Wattpad stories, normally. Right now I'm reading The Gargoyle Series, I'm on the second book.

I read a lot. In fact, I'm on the computer because I was going to check my library account and see which book on my list is going to expire next, but I got sidetracked here.

I just finished Kiss of Shadows by Laurell Hamilton, and day before yesterday I finished Alpha and Omega by Patricia Briggs I didn't really enjoy either one of them... They were alright I suppose, but I won't be continuing in the series. Few days before I finished Alpha and Omega I read Fablehaven by Brandon Mull. I quite liked that one and will probably read the whole series.

Don't know what I'm going to read next though...

(Edit: Fablehaven is geared towards younger readers the protagonists are 11 and 13... but it was a quick, fun read with an interesting premise.)

Last edited:
I haven't been reading much at all lately because I used to get most of my reading done on the bus to and from work, but for the past few months I've been dicking around on my phone on the bus instead. I've been in the middle of The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams for like a month, only been reading like a couple pages at a time every few days.

I'm awful, used to read a minimum of 5 large books a month until I became one of those assholes who is constantly on their phone. XD

Dr. Adder - the original cyberpunk novel, with content so novel and graphic that it was delayed long enough for Neuromancer steal the march.

@Time Turtle

I've read a good bit of Patricia Briggs and her Alpha and Omega books aren't my cuppa, but I do like her Mercy Thompson series. You might try those if you haven't already.

• Thank You
Reactions: Turtle of Doom
Just and Unjust Wars
Testament of Youth
Aeneid in Latin because I hate myself

And a few other boring textbooks for class.

@Time Turtle
The Fablehaven series is pretty good. I have been thinking about rereading it since I have been going back and rereading a lot of the books I own.

• Thank You
Reactions: Turtle of Doom
Status
Not open for further replies.