What would be the hardest invention to explain to someone from the 1700's to the 1800's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: Yeah, not opening that can of worms.
Heh... can't catch fish if you can't touch the bait. But I understand. I already have another forum I go to for "interesting" political debates. Fun fun! And hope the weather up north isn't too harsh, given what our own eastern half is suffering.

Oh, and on topic: Supermarkets.

Heh... can't catch fish if you can't touch the bait. But I understand. I already have another forum I go to for "interesting" political debates. Fun fun! And hope the weather up north isn't too harsh, given what our own eastern half is suffering.

Oh, and on topic: Supermarkets.

Actually, supermarkets is a really interesting choice. The whole concept of grocery stores as we know it is a pretty new concept in the grand scheme of things.

It's not too bad here in Alberta... Actually, this is the warmest and nicest winter I've ever experienced. It was 13 degrees and sunny on Monday, which is spring weather. O.o

Heh... 13 degrees. Is that why your "Transformer" dudes are laughing? Brrrr! Days here in sunny California have been in the mid sixties, though the nights have been in the mid thirties. Morning frost. But that was what I heard a few days ago.

And yes, that's why I thought supermarkets were worth mention.

Heh... 13 degrees. Is that why your "Transformer" dudes are laughing? Brrrr! Days here in sunny California have been in the mid sixties, though the nights have been in the mid thirties. Morning frost. But that was what I heard a few days ago.

And yes, that's why I thought supermarkets were worth mention.

I should have specified Celsius. Basically, 20 is pleasant summer temperature and 0 is freezing, so it's on the good side of mild. -10 is brisk but nothing more than a coat is needed. -20 is the colder temperature where you probably want a hat and gloves, maybe a scarf. It's kind of uncomfortable all around and sometimes your car struggles to start. -30 is the worst end of average here where bare skin gets frostbite if you have it exposed for too long and your fuel lines might be freezing, so if your block heater isn't plugged in you might not be starting your car, period.

Then you get -40 and below and that's when everyone really bitches about how brutal it is.

*freezes solid*

It's a difficult one. A lot of things would be completely baffling to people from back then, and I almost nominated the internet.

But you know what? There's something even more nonsensical than that, so I'm nominating that instead.

Of course, I'm talking about animanga.

4c5.jpg

Explain that, just that one singular manga panel to anyone from the 19th century and then tell me that it's possible for them to understand even a single episode of, say, Gintama.

Status
Not open for further replies.