What would be the hardest invention to explain to someone from the 1700's to the 1800's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Religion tolerance
A pope that is friendly and accepting of not only other religions (Islam mostly) but also homosexualism.

Internet memes.
"Y-Yeah! Hitler is hilarious!... Yeah!... Genocide is hilarious mate. What? N-No, I'm not psychotic... Just because I talk about mudkips... By any chance, do you know when the Narwhal Bacons?"

Reactions: foodforpigs
Condoms and Birth control.
Actually, variants of condoms and other birth control have existed throughout most of history. I believe the ancient Greeks used goat's intestines tied up with string on one end.

Reactions: Brovo
Honestly I think it'd be pretty hard to explain vibrating dragon dildos or other extravagant sex stuff.

They'd probably burn me at the stake and shit.

the existence of 50 Shades of Grey and the Twilight Trilogy

far easier to explain are the Star Wars Original Trilogy, the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, and anything with Arnold Scharzeneggar in it

I'd like to see how the Founding Fathers would respond to an M16... and to nukes.

Generally, I'd like to show off my "Solar Atomic" Casio G-Shock digital watch to people from those periods. Not to mention tablet computers. And 3-D printer tech.

To program the VCR to record your favorite show at the right time. I still have NEVER figured it out.

Wait. That's a thing you can do? O.o

I've only ever been able to record live TV onto a VHS tape as it airs. I had no idea you were supposed to be able to set it to record at a certain time.

I'd like to see how the Founding Fathers would respond to an M16... and to nukes.

Generally, I'd like to show off my "Solar Atomic" Casio G-Shock digital watch to people from those periods. Not to mention tablet computers. And 3-D printer tech.

The Founding Fathers would truly understand how far freedom has spread if you got them behind an entrenched M-60 position and let them spread democracy at 700 rounds per minute.

Wait. That's a thing you can do? O.o

I've only ever been able to record live TV onto a VHS tape as it airs. I had no idea you were supposed to be able to set it to record at a certain time.
If it had cable Co-axe, and had been a model that had that on it.

The Founding Fathers would truly understand how far freedom has spread if you got them behind an entrenched M-60 position and let them spread democracy at 700 rounds per minute.
Indeed they would...

But then, you'd have to show them all the gun-control laws we have now. Just for contrast.

Indeed they would...

But then, you'd have to show them all the gun-control laws we have now. Just for contrast.

I'm pretty sure they'd be more overwhelmed at the advancement in technology to really care about gun restrictions and magazine caps.

I'm pretty sure they'd be more overwhelmed at the advancement in technology to really care about gun restrictions and magazine caps.
I don't know about that... freedom was VERY important to the Founding Fathers. The reason the freedom to keep and bear arms is second on the list is only because freedom of speech and press and religion was more important. Because these were the reasons we left our "native lands" and came to the New World in the first place. To establish a place were we could be free to speak, in word and press, and free to worship as we willed. Guns came second to all the rest because, without freedom of arms, you can't defend yourself from those who would take away your freedoms.

So I don't think they would be razzle-dazzled by the tech, once they found out what our Government has done to their precious Constitution.

I don't know about that... freedom was VERY important to the Founding Fathers. The reason the freedom to keep and bear arms is second on the list is only because freedom of speech and press and religion was more important. Because these were the reasons we left our "native lands" and came to the New World in the first place. To establish a place were we could be free to speak, in word and press, and free to worship as we willed. Guns came second to all the rest because, without freedom of arms, you can't defend yourself from those who would take away your freedoms.

So I don't think they would be razzle-dazzled by the tech, once they found out what our Government has done to their precious Constitution.
I'm a Canadian who owns six rifles.

I am not derailing this thread about a discussion about freedoms and gun rights, especially since back in ye olde days when they drafted the constitution was the late 1700s that had no idea what life would be like 300 years later and guns were limited to flintlock rifles.

EDIT: Yeah, not opening that can of worms.

Last edited:
The internet would be easy. The consequences not so much.

Explaining the inherent properties of a lodestone using only its primary qualities, as they didn't understand electromagnetism at that time and believed some sort of physical ether was at play to prevent ideas of "action at a distance". (ie. Magnets, how do they work?)

EDIT: Invention to present is an electromagnetic motor. They might have a concept to what should happen, but not the reason why it happens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.