What were your early days on Iwaku like?

Is Hana being overly sentimental again?

• Yes

• Yes

• Yes

• Yes

• Yes

• Give me a real choice, dammit!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm living out my early days right now, so I don't have much to share, but for some reason I feel like my opinion genuinely matters here.

• How did you discover Iwaku?
I actually joined Iwaku way back in Junior year, but I was such a huge shitlord that I ended up leaving. I powergamed, metagamed, committed every cardinal sin of RP, and ended up leaving the site because despite everything I was dedicating too much time to the site and damaging my grades. I spent a lot of time on a Guild Wars 2 server to hone my RP skills, and eventually found my way back here through a friend-of-a-friend. I happened to know a lurker from a gaming community, got the invite, and showed up.
  • What -are- your first impressions of the site?
I'm pretty happy with how things are-- it's not entirely welcoming per-se, but it's not threatening. If I had to compare it to anything, it's like sitting down at a table with a bunch of people who already know each other; it's surprisingly easy to get into the action and have fun, but people will give you looks for a while. My very first impression of this site, truthfully, was an argument in General Chat. Got me worried, but I haven't seen anything like it since, so I've calmed down a lot.

I've ah, yet to actually get into a roleplay though.
  • What did or do you like best about Iwaku?
There's definitely a strong sense of community with people of quality. It takes a bit of work to get into the community per se, but the quality gate is one of the main reasons it's stayed so stable.
  • Did you have some pretty memorable happenings early on? Funny incidents?
I got on Discord and looked at memes for a bit, but so far nothing yet. Hopefully, I can come back and edit this post when something amazing happens.

Reactions: Hana
    @Rain of the Night
    He had actually found it thanks to @Brovo, as he was apart of his rps. I joined a while after the first 'large' wave of the migration. Rain had to talk me into joining since my distrust in rp sites was very high at that time.
  • What were your first impressions of the site?
    It looked nice? I didn't really have much of a first impression. Rain brought me right into the chatrp INN when I first joined and only slowly over time did I branch out.
    I really enjoyed chatrp, kinda sprung a new love for it. Sadly that's no longer the case. I did make a ton of great friends through it though, like @The Returner, @Goofy Goblin and I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton.
    I'm technically apart of the 'great migration', but that's about it ^^;;

I wanted to start roleplaying (which I only had done a few times before I joined iwaku, and nothing long term) and I wanted to practice my English (which was extremely needed) so I googled roleplay sites and iwaku was one of the first things I found. It wasn't the very first one, but all the other ones had white background and that turned me off soooo badly D: If they had a darker background their layout just looked horrible. I'M SUPER JUDGMENTAL! Only iwaku could satisfy my aesthetic needs. I did try out some other roleplay forums after I joined iwaku, but non of them felt right so I have pretty much only been on iwaku.

By the by, this was my first post on iwaku. Look at that English. LOOK AT IT!

Hello, I'm Alexandra, called Alec/Alex (whatever you feel comfortable with)
I'm going in high school in my third year ^^ and I'm a japan freak and learning the japanese language and am planing to go there after school :)

Untill now I have just roleplayed one and one, but I want to test roleplay in groups too.
I'm from sweden so I don't have that good english but I use dictionaries and try a lot harder while I'm doing a roleplay so it shouldn't be so mutch wrongs while I'm playing.

I like a lot of genres, for example horror, fantasy, magic etc.
The only thing I realy don't like is scifi, it's not an interesting genre for me.
I don't have a character that I usually play with, I think I never have used a character twice, but I can "recycle" a character if I think it would be fun to use that one again.

Well see you around ;) just write if you wonder something or just want to talk etc. :)
Now I'm going to go update my profile a bit ^^ :rose:

So. Much. Wrongs! :D I was such an embarrassing 18 year old. -pinches my younger self-
It was a great community and pretty small. It was easy to get to know new people and even if you didn't know them it was rare to not know of them as long as they posted in the forum a bit now and then. There wasn't any drama as far as normal members noticed and the admins and staff took great care of the place. It was easy to talk to the staff members and the admins, it didn't feel like they held themselves above everyone else. They joined jump in roleplays just like everybody else and even roleplayed with newbs with shitty English skills :D One of my first one x one's were with @Diana ^^ She taught me good grammar (through roleplaying) and now I have become the pain in her ass that reminds her of all her grammar and spelling errors. THE STUDENT HAS BECOME THE TEACHER, MOHAHHAHAHHA
Did: The jump in section. When I started on iwaku, I loved it. It was what really got me started :D But then I went towards one x one's and now I'm stuck there. Not that I dislike it, I love it actually. I just miss some of the roleplays in the former jump in section. When I started it felt like there was more of a variety, then I found less and less roleplays I felt attracted to, so I stopped joining them.

Do: I don't know D: I guess it varies. I haven't been in a roleplay mood for a while cause of personal issues RL, so funnily enough that has not been what I liked best for almost six months now. But now I have gotten back into roleplaying again and I'm loving it :D I'm glad I took such a long break with only a few replies a month, cause now my batteries feel recharged and I'm ready to play once again ^^ During those six months though, the general chat was probably my favorite place to be in. I might not have been active, but I love reading what people write in it ^^ Especially discussion topics :D (Sorry not sorry Diana :D)
When Diana said yes to roleplaying with me o_o I was super shocked and happy that an admin wanted to play with a newb xD Best day of my iwaku life, until I got to know her better and realized she's not a God. She's just an owl. :D

I also have some great memories from one of my earliest roleplays (a jump in roleplay called teen island) where @Red Velvet became the first person to have a character which one of my character's had the hots for. :D Congrats on that honor xD

I saw it was on my server.

You are all a bunch of weirdos.

You are all a bunch of weirdos.

Uh... I may have indirectly caused the database to be lost when I was more of a newb at hosting things... Since then I have stopped diana's repeated attempts at destroying the database.

By accident. Had no idea what it was, it was a you only live once moment.
WHAT DO I DO AND WHY DO I DO IT. Halp I dunno how to do dis *Looks at easiest section where I don't have to do much and joined Teen Island @redblood was a babe and played with me*
The community spirit. Loved how win everyone I was playing was and learning about writing.
I think one of the weirdest incidents of Iwaku was meeting @fatalrendezvous We were in this truth or dare game and just dorking around. For no reason what so ever she decided to come out of nowhere and be like "Imma smack yo booty." Then we were awesome friends. Then from there onward all the random truth or dare nights with @Xnijmai @Esthalia @Hirohashi fatal @Fiona @Tribs @Dawn Mynodyn and a few others that I apologise for not remembering all of your names! but it was a hell of a lot of fun.

Another one was being paired with Amethyst by Isabellas in chat box and the constant shipping I used to get with him (fairly certain he was older than me.)

and this weird thread where myself, @redblood @Hirohashi and some other individuals who were in the thread with us at the time all competed to have the last post in the game section. My username was under the name Aira back then, hence everybody still calling me "Ai-chan," or "Ai."

I have to say one of the best moments I have had on Iwaku was with dawn when we played a small prank on the staff (I won't disclose what it is, because that would just encourage you all.) Love you forever @Dawn

And although it was kinda weird, posting weird hentai quotes in Steambox because they were ridiculous.

There was actually one other really beautiful moment on here when I was a CV and trying to help out with the update day. I broke from the sheer amount of pressure @Tribs and @Dawn were there to help lift me up again. I will never forget that kindness. So thank you!

Edit: Lastly, the OH OH OH It's Magic Thread. I died so hard that night. @Seiji Dawn, Myrn, Esthalia and all the others that joined that. I love you guys so much XD

How did you discover Iwaku?
Well, technically I had discovered it a long while before I even joined. Can't even remember when that was, somewhere in late/early 2013/4. But I completely forgot about it by the time I joined.
What were your first impressions of the site?
"Oh there's so many tabs. Why is there so many tabs! WHY DOES THIS NEED A TAB, OH GO-" and such and such. It was a lot more colourful though,
What did or do you like best about Iwaku?
I feel like most of the rps I join here don't die immediately and instead have potential of doing something before it's life is crushed under a boot in front of me.

Also, less (but only slightly) crazy people, so that's always good.

Did you have some pretty memorable happenings early on? Funny incidents?
Well, during the guild crapping itself in late 2013, I was told by someone I knew to join Iwaku. After looking at it, and adjusting my eyes to not explode. I made an account. And then got really busy. By the time I came back the guild also came back. Being somewhat loyal to the guild, I went back to it.

Anywho, when the site starting to go dodgy. I trudged along as I had rp's on the site. And then the rp's moved, and I was like "See ya later alligator" to the site.

So I supposed I followed Kaga like a diseased dog that nobody really wants. Woop.

It took me forever to join a new rp in this site anyway, I was rather quiet and didn't go into the general chat what so ever. I mean, I still don't post much outside the rp's I'm in. But pop up every so often, like the black death.

It took me forever to join a new rp in this site anyway, I was rather quiet and didn't go into the general chat what so ever. I mean, I still don't post much outside the rp's I'm in. But pop up every so often, like the black death.
Yo I'm not much of a historian or an epidemiologist, but I'm pretty sure the Black Death does not repeatedly decimate Europe "every so often". Fairly certain it didn't really come back once it was finally over with.

Yo I'm not much of a historian or an epidemiologist, but I'm pretty sure the Black Death does not repeatedly decimate Europe "every so often". Fairly certain it didn't really come back once it was finally over with.
Kaga wants me to leave forever :(

Well perhaps the blight! I'll be around for a few years and wipe out half a country's population!

(And technically the blight still exists!)

A google search led me to a topsites sort of deal, and Iwaku was at the top. I signed up because I had been banned from a really toxic ERP site and was desperate for my writing fix.

"Oh. Another forum site. Whatever, I'll give it a shot. What's the worst that'll happen? I lose interest in a week after nobody pays any attention to me?"

Almost immediately after I set up a search thread, I got friendly replies from members who wanted to RP with me. They were smart, funny, and loved my ideas as they were written and didn't try to change them for their own fetishes or their own glory/power fantasies. I never felt more welcomed to come to a site where I had no previous friends before.

Also, there was a WHOLE SET OF FORUMS dedicated to what I tried to make on the toxic ERP site: world building, character development, plot improvement, and writing help.

Nothing so much memorable as something that stuck with me, though I don't remember the specifics. I had just gotten out of an abusive user-community relationship of five years, and suddenly, everyone was respectful, kind, and excited when they encountered me. Suddenly, RPing became fun again. It wasn't just a miserable drive, but enjoyable insanity. Iwaku made RP fun again for me.

It happened during a boring summer afternoon when I was about 16 years old. This other RP site I frequented was dying, so I used Google to help me find a new one. Iwaku came up. I joined. The end.
It was on Proboards and had a hideous color theme, so initially I was like "Eeeehhhh." I really wanted to get to know the "character sheet" system that was going on, though. And the people seemed to generally be nice. GabeZero was kind enough to guide me when I joined a roleplay of his, along with the confession that I had no idea what I was doing.
It's helped me become a more confident writer. It's also where I first met my husband, and where I've met my bestest of friends.
Short answer: Yes.

I saw it was on my server.
Is this sarcasm, or did they actually just pop up on your server one day without permission or anything? XD

How did you discover Iwaku?

Used to be a part of an old RPing group that includes such wonderful people like @Indolent @Ringmaster @C.T. @Schnee Corp Lawyer @OrlandoBloomers. I wasn't a very good RPer at the time. Even though I'd been doing it since I was like nine/ten. When my posts were barely decipherable and I thought a xenomorph with a baseball cap named Chompy was the coolest thing around. Also Noob Saibot X Smoke was my OTP

As time went on though, @Jeremi tried multiple times to recruit our clique into joining Iwaku. We declined each time(well except for C.T. the traitor : | )and it wasn't until the UMG run by @Atomyk @Klutzy Ninja Kitty @ Verite caught OrlandoBloomer's interest and he decided to ask me if I'd come along and play as Chloe Price to his Max Caulfield.

The rest as they say is history.

What were your first impressions of the site?
Who are these people and why do they insist on cuddling eachother?

tumblr_nipxcpGuTs1r0fk2co5_r1_500.gif

Doesn't make any sense to me.

But eventually I ended up becoming very well acquainted with most of the Murder Group. Enough to the point where I'd feel safe in calling all of them wonderful people. Good RPers to boot as I'd go out of my way to PM someone who's portrayal I liked to be all 'that was really good! Keep up the good work!" and they'd be happy and so I'd be happy.

What did or do you like best about Iwaku?
I feel my RPing as a whole has improved while I've been here. I know it probably doesn't count for much in the grand scheme of things but receiving 'best RPer award' in the Murder Group meant a lot to me even if I didn't really think so at the time/had a bit of a depression streak where I didn't think anything I did was good. But plenty of people came out of the woodwork to tell me otherwise.

So I really appreciative how supportive of a community Iwaku feels to be.

Shoutout to some people I feel deserve some attention in general for helping me out when I've needed it

@Hana @Sen @C.T. @Crimson Spartan @Atomyk @Schnee Corp Lawyer @C.T. @Hospes

Also someone who's very special to me/one of the best people I know. Both online and offline.

(also ten RPs between us baby.)

(woo for meaningless numbers <3)

@Kaykay

Did you have some pretty memorable happenings early on? Funny incidents?

Not that I can recall off the top of my head

People confusing me for @Krieg @OrlandoBloomers was funny I guess

If a tad annoying. :T​

Who's this dude tagging me?!

Is this sarcasm, or did they actually just pop up on your server one day without permission or anything? XD

I was hosting another one of diana's sites and she moved iwaku over to her account. I forget the exact details or if I actually helped with the move or not.

I usually only popped in briefly when doing server maintenance and stuff mostly to be a troll.

Then one time I ended up being kidnapped by a couple of you weirdos on a Skype night and here we are today.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: OrlandoBloomers
I followed Moonlit Blade here from another RPing site around five years ago now; Iwaku's probably my... mm, maybe my fifth stop overall?
Slightly overwhelmed, to be honest. I'd really only been on forums where there were a handful of 5-10 active members either RPing or chatting at any given time and it immediately seemed like there were an awful lot of people here by comparison. I'm still typically sort of quiet unless there are less than 10 folk in chat, in which case I turn into a non-stop talking machine.
The people here are pretty awesome. I'm still hesitant to instigate conversations and generally a bit worried about pissing people off, so I feel like I stay a lot more on the sidelines than some, but it's nice to sort of watch and listen. I've got a few great partners and friends from the site, and that's pretty fantastic. (It feels like that should read a lot of friends, really, but I worry about application of labels in case someone goes eww, no, why are you calling us that even though a lot of the folk I'm nervous about labelling would probably tell me I'm being silly and that of course we're friends. Strange hangups ahoy!)
Most of my early time here was just me being a dumbass who was scared of everyone and everything and acted like a complete idiot about 90% of the time. I'm still awkward and frequently make myself look intensely silly in front of everyone, but I think I've gotten a little better in the last 5 years. Memorable moments... Discovering ChaRP was definitely the big one. Since I started RPing in the Inn I feel like my writing's come a long way, and I've had so much fun with my Charp partners. It's my preferred method of writing now. Not sure I've ever really been involved with anything overly funny. Perhaps one of the CAH skype nights or something? Those used to be fun.

I remember Asmo baiting people in general for a reaction to get them banned.

Literally Googled role playing sites and found this first at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.