1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
  2. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Romance, Fantasy. Always some kind of non-human involved. (Such a vampires, succubi, incubi, etc.)
Good day, Iwaku! I'm back with my attempt for 30 Days Of Discussions.

The topic today is smells. We all have that smell that brings us back to a special place in our childhood, or a specific time in our lives. What is that smell for you and why?

I have 2 smells; orange blossom and creosote plant.

Orange blossom for me reminds me of my best friend. When I was younger, things were kind of hard after my parents divorced. So I began to stay with my best friend for weeks on end. For some reason, she always smelled like orange blossom, which I now correlate to safety and comfort, even though her mom always smelled like white ginger. Funny enough, her mom gave me a little bottle of white ginger oil for my perfume when I was probably about 14, and I still use it to this day, 16 years later.

The creosote plant is pretty popular around here in the desert. I don't know what sort of natural desasters you have around where you live (hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, etc.) but where I live, we have monsoons; a span of about 2 weeks where it just rains and rains and rains. The creosote plant absorbs the water from plants all around it and emits a smell that reminds me of monsoons. "The plant releases that familiar musky, earthy smell from a coating on its leaves that helps it conserve water. It's nostalgic because it smells like monsoon season. Ironically, the Spanish name for creosote is hediondilla, which loosely translates to little stinker." When I was stationed elsewhere, and when I had to move to another state, I found a small local candle shop that sold candles that smelled exactly like it. So naturally, I bought them all, and whenI was feeling homesick, I would light the candle and pretend I was back home, enjoying watching the monsoons.

So, what about for you all?

If we're talking scents that give me an instant memory response, definitely honeysuckle! It reminds me of long hot springs and summers of my childhood. O: Spending all day outside just chillin and eating stuff I found on a bush.

Vics Vapo rub and Icy Hot are also weirdly soothing XD reminds me of my grandmother and mum

I have 3 smells that I find soothing and they're jasmine, vanilla, and cocoa butter 🥰 I smelt them while typing this.

• Love
Reactions: Lyrikai and XIII
The smell of a blanket when it has been hung out to dry....and fray check. It took me YEARS to realize THAT was grandma's house smell.....dried fray check.

She also always hung quilts out to dry so its a special smell to me. Makes me think of her. I also really like specific perfumes my mom wears. Makes me feel safe and warm.

I guess I'm pretty simple and basic with just a general major love for the scent of vanilla.

I also LOVE flowers and their scents. I look forward every year to planting a garden and walking through it as everything blooms so I can take in all the smells and pretty colors.
If picking one or two in particular, lavender or lilac. I love love loooove the lilac bush that grow alongside the garden. Smelling it on the breeze is such a great "Spring is finally here" moment.

I have been loving this new scent they have at Bath and Body Works called Rose & Lychee! It smells simply wonderful! I love it ^^ Anything with roses or a soft lavender scent I really love.

I also love scents that smell like blueberries or strawberries! Something about the fruitiness of the scent makes me happy

Ah, there are so many scents I find pleasing, comforting, soothing...
One of my biggest would be the scent of the ocean. Makes me think of home. I used to live by the waters. My therapist suggests, in fact, that a major contributor to my depression is the fact I'm not near any waters. When I was a kid, I used to be able to run to the boat docks as an escape from my shitty home life. Where it was just me, the ocean scents, the cawing of birds, the fishers and their boats... I miss it. I have yet to find an item that can produce it without it feeling, like,...fake, I guess? I don't know, the scents of "ocean" candles and plug-ins and stuff don't smell like the ocean to me. It's like how artificial banana doesn't taste or smell like bananas.

Similarly, I love the smell of petrichor. I'm from a very rainy part of Washington state. Most people around me hated the rain and wanted to get away from it, but I always prefer to be in it and very much despise the sunshine. (Hasthtag Goth Life) I miss that so much. It doesn't rain very often over here in the desert.

Lavender is my favorite for anxiety soothing or if I can't sleep well. It takes me to an imaginary place where I am surrounded by a field of lavender, where the weather is just right. I think I might have visited a lavender farm in the past and found it very nice. I can't remember, unfortunately.

My Husband's t-shirts are my greatest comfort because they carry the scent of his natural musk. I have him wear one for a bit so I can cuddle the scent. Makes me feel safe and loved, and I go back to the earliest memories of us first being together.

Favorite incense scent is Vampire Blood. It's really nice to burn one when I'm meditating or simply in thought, because it'll inspire me to search myself for happy places, happy things, happy memories...

Favorite soap scent, usually, is chocolate. I like to be reminded of my favorite treats. Core memories about food are a comfort. And I just like to smell like a dessert.

Last edited:
I'm going to be super basic and say lavender and chamomile. They're such soothing scents and taste great in tea too.

I have to say I love candles so if you ever see a chick standing around smelling candles in a store that's probably me..... probably. But I love vanilla. Also during fall when wood is burning reminds me of the holidays. Has a special place in my heart.