What really grinds your gears?

No toilet paper.
03ZHaYQ.jpg

I hate laying on my bed, and moving my leg, and getting it cut by one of the springs sticking out (WHICH IS ALL THE TIME!) It's annoying and painful!

Oh, I hate it when I gotta look down at stuff and my hair isn't tied up, cause then, it gets in my face and totally blinds me...

It seriously irks me when people add a superfluous letter r to words when pronouncing them, such as with the word 'idea'. (Then pronounced 'idear'.) It literally makes me cringe whenever I hear it.

It seriously irks me when people add a superfluous letter r to words when pronouncing them, such as with the word 'idea'. (Then pronounced 'idear'.) It literally makes me cringe whenever I hear it.
Ah, after re-reading your post, I understand what you mean. The proper pronunciation is 'i-de-a', but most people pronounce it as 'i-dear'. Is that what you're saying?

Racial jokes of any kind. I know it's socially-acceptable in much of the developed world (especially in the US) to take part in this type of humor, but when I see or hear one, I don't laugh; actually, I become slightly aggressive and annoyed. They usually lack good set-ups (if they even have one), have shit punchlines and absolutely fail with the closure; bonus points if the joke-teller/comedian performs a callback with the same shitty joke and expects you to get a kick out of it. Even more points can be awarded if the joke has to do with a Middle Easterner or an African.

But the absolutely worst variety are arguably the internet memes that you see on 4chan and 9gag. They make me want to off myself---figuratively speaking.

And then when you let it be known that you hate this type of garbage, you get persistently ragged on for supposedly having a 'thin skin' or that you're 'being a baby' or that you need to 'go back to Tumblr'.

I don't even go on Tumblr.

It's ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ASTA: I know how you feel, Asta. I usually just don't laugh and ask them to explain the joke, thus killing the said inappropriate joke. Jokes relating to Asian people especially seem to get on my nerves, must be due to some of my half-siblings being mixed race, (related through my father, their mother is Chinese).

One thing I dislike is how impatient and rude people are, since my recent hospitalization I have had to use a walking stick due to my twisted leg from falling down the stairs when I fainted and lightheadedness in order to help create some stability and take the weight off my leg. The last few times I've gone out, I have been pushed, unintentionally and not-so-unintentionally, had things dropped on me, people walk into me, that sort of thing since my speed has been greatly reduced as has my agility, people need to get out of my way or else my head might get introduced with the pavement, which has almost happened a few times. I mean, how difficult is it to loose a few minutes and wait for someone who cannot rush, I've taken to being defensive since pushing someone who is uneasy on their feet to the ground is an assault I usually retort with one of my fathers favourite lines. (He needed a cane for a long time, since he was 24, broke his kneecap and femur in a parachuting accident, he's now in a wheelchair, I've needed to push him a few times, same issues occurred) This line is "Do you expect me to levitate?" when someone is being impatient. I usually just give them some direction like "Just go around me" or "Watch out." Get off your damned phones and look where you're going, you're going to get ran over.

When people come to me with their problems and want advice and some kind of help, I help. I warn them of possible negative out and give them simple advice they decide not to listen, but later blame me for what happens.

When people don't raise their kids all that great. I've worked in a nursery and a kids place for 3, almost 4 years. I've been cursed out by 2 year old's because I put them in time out. Then the elementary age kids were worse. I've been punched and kicked in the face, bitten a few times, and cursed out by kids. And whats the response from parents? "She's just a kid, I'm sure she never meant to punch you." Or "He was simply expressing the fact you were oppressing their childhood. They need to be free and not worry about rules." and of course can't forget the old favorites. "Who the hell do you think you are? Have you raised a child? I think not, so fuck you for believing my child doesn't know how to act. He has manners unlike some whore I'm staring at."

Yep, that's what grinds my gears.

When people don't raise their kids all that great. I've worked in a nursery and a kids place for 3, almost 4 years. I've been cursed out by 2 year old's because I put them in time out. Then the elementary age kids were worse. I've been punched and kicked in the face, bitten a few times, and cursed out by kids. And whats the response from parents? "She's just a kid, I'm sure she never meant to punch you." Or "He was simply expressing the fact you were oppressing their childhood. They need to be free and not worry about rules." and of course can't forget the old favorites. "Who the hell do you think you are? Have you raised a child? I think not, so fuck you for believing my child doesn't know how to act. He has manners unlike some whore I'm staring at."

Oh by YWHW, bad parents are the worst. I've even heard Teachers say they can't use the "I'll call your parents" threat anymore, because their parents simply don't care.
I seriously worry for our generation because of it. And let's not forget the next generation's kids.
Y'know things are bad when 19-year olds sound like old grampas.

@Racial Joke thing: I will admit that some of them seem to be poorly done, and can sometimes be a cheap/half-assed effort for a laugh.
But that same criticism can extend to basically every avenue of comedy depending on the person telling the joke.

Besides, the main point of humor is to act as an escape and be a way to laugh and gain joy from something otherwise horrible and terrible.
It's why games like Cards Against Humanity is such a huge success.

Now, I get everyone has their comfort levels, pet peeves etc. so racist jokes aren't for everybody.
But the second that stops being a discomfort and turns into a "I want this to stop, I find it offensive", that's where I feel a line needs to be drawn.
Then you're not only stopping someone's freedom of speech, but stopping it in the most positive escape we as humanity posses.
Plus, the second you demands others stop doing X because you dislike X you're basically saying "I lack the self control skills/maturity to handle my own emotions and tune it out. Therefore I expect everyone else to change how they behave and engage with others instead".

And to be clear, I'm not suggesting anyone here is one of those "I am offended, so stop this" kinds of people.
I'm simply saying when those kinds of people come up I draw a line.

Having worked in an Autism Therapy Center before, and had three childcare placements I have never ran into a case like this... :/
Am I just lucky? Did you get put in a bad school/class?

Reactions: Valentyne
Now, I get everyone has their comfort levels, pet peeves etc. so racist jokes aren't for everybody.
But the second that stops being a discomfort and turns into a "I want this to stop, I find it offensive", that's where I feel a line needs to be drawn.
Then you're not only stopping someone's freedom of speech, but stopping it in the most positive escape we as humanity posses.
Plus, the second you demands others stop doing X because you dislike X you're basically saying "I lack the self control skills/maturity to handle my own emotions and tune it out. Therefore I expect everyone else to change how they behave and engage with others instead".

And to be clear, I'm not suggesting anyone here is one of those "I am offended, so stop this" kinds of people.
I'm simply saying when those kinds of people come up I draw a line.
My gender expression, my body size, and my general mental health place me, and people like me, as the butt of many a joke. Not exactly the same as racism jokes, but there are some parallels that can be drawn. Some of these jokes ring true and are actually very funny. Others simply perpetuate negative stereotypes, dehumanizing and minimizing my self-worth. Not just one joke. My ego can handle a few insulting jokes. Its years on years of these same jokes going around, so much so that the joke becomes the expectation. I'm not here for you to laugh at. I'm not here to bring some levity to your life. It gets tiring to have a society laugh at you.

On a more personal level, say friend to friend, or a small group of friends. If a friend gathers up enough courage to stand up to a peer and say "Hey, I find these jokes offensive. Could you not say them around me?" The least they deserve is the respect to try and compromise with them. The one saying the jokes don't have to stop altogether, but respecting their friend enough to curb the jokes when they're around. I have friends whom I insult on a regular basis, and we find it hilarious. However, I know other friends who would take offence to that, and so I refrain from indulging in that brand of humour. It's called empathy, and it's kind of a necessary thing.

• Love
Reactions: Hatsune Candy
My gender expression, my body size, and my general mental health place me, and people like me, as the butt of many a joke. Not exactly the same as racism jokes, but there are some parallels that can be drawn. Some of these jokes ring true and are actually very funny. Others simply perpetuate negative stereotypes, dehumanizing and minimizing my self-worth. Not just one joke. My ego can handle a few insulting jokes. Its years on years of these same jokes going around, so much so that the joke becomes the expectation. I'm not here for you to laugh at. I'm not here to bring some levity to your life. It gets tiring to have a society laugh at you.

On a more personal level, say friend to friend, or a small group of friends. If a friend gathers up enough courage to stand up to a peer and say "Hey, I find these jokes offensive. Could you not say them around me?" The least they deserve is the respect to try and compromise with them. The one saying the jokes don't have to stop altogether, but respecting their friend enough to curb the jokes when they're around. I have friends whom I insult on a regular basis, and we find it hilarious. However, I know other friends who would take offence to that, and so I refrain from indulging in that brand of humour. It's called empathy, and it's kind of a necessary thing.
Yeah, this.

Honestly, it's just gotten old being viewed as a joke demographic that's being laughed at consistently by a majority audience that belongs to the established normality.

@Magnum Citing the Bill of Rights doesn't really work in the context of this discussion. Freedom of speech is not only non-applicable to the internet at large, but it's also an inconsistent, intrinsic 'right' riddled with loopholes and an extensive number of 'disclaimers' attributed to it. I could rag on the moderators and administrators on Iwaku on a constant basis, proclaim my freedom of speech as a defense and justification for my taboo behavior, and then catch a permanent ban to the face two days later for 'inciting a flame war' or 'disrespecting the moderation team'. Most forums, boards and other internet social mediums are more akin to autocratic regimes laced with *just* enough liberty to discourage users from denouncing their non-elected officials and engaging in an open rebellion and/or mass exodus to a new social medium.

Hiding behind freedom of speech and using it to relieve responsibility for your own words is not what that right was designed for. To be brutality honest, I'd call it cowardly.
I lack the self control skills/maturity to handle my own emotions and tune it out. Therefore I expect everyone else to change how they behave and engage with others instead.

I want you to show me one person on this planet who claims that they do not have have an emotional breaking point. I'd like to meet them personally so that I may call them a liar directly to their face.

I don't expect you to change just to suit my needs, but it would be absolutely wonderful if you showed a minute amount of empathy. But apparently that's frowned upon, and acting like a condescending and apathetic ass is fashionable in today's day and age.

• Love
Reactions: Hatsune Candy
You know we can easily chalk up pushy/offensive humour in the social skills category: Understand the audience, group you're mocking, and context. I've decried political correctness before, outright using the word "nigger" in my vocabulary under fairly specific circumstances in spite of knowing the social consequences of doing so. Sometimes it can be pretty hilarious for all sorts of reasons I shouldn't need to explain at this point, and sometimes, it's just straight harmful. There are places for this kind of humour, "everywhere" isn't one of those places. Places of higher learning, counseling areas, people's personal blogs or homes (unless they invite that type of behaviour), et cetera, are not appropriate locations for that type of humour.

In public, it's always about probing. Figure out the audience and their tastes, act or educate appropriately, move on. If you're mocking a group without first having done research on them to learn about them, stop, do that, before you perpetuate what might potentially be a very negative piece of misinformation.

That being said, I do enjoy the occasional piece of racy or pushy humour. Hell I make plenty of them myself in the roasts. ("FOR FAMIRY HONOUR! BE A-SIAN! NOT B-SIAN!") However, I'm self-aware of such humour, I use it in play and I understand the culture I'm mocking. Rather than making me bitter and egotistical I use it as an excuse to celebrate and laugh at the lunacy inherent in every group and culture. Yeah, the Japanese have a funny accent when they try to speak English, and you know what? I bet my accent in Japanese sounds goddamn hilarious too.

While being offended is no reason to censor something from the public view, you have all rights to comment when something makes you offended and try to explain why. When you open your mouth in public, just as you have the right to say whatever you want, others have all rights to tell you how fucking dumb you sound should they think that way. That's the true beauty and bloody edge of free speech, really: Anyone can say anything, and anyone else can question that and say "hey! That's stupid! That's offensive! You ignorant twat! Let me tell you why that's stupid!"

Social skills. Fah. Who needs em'.

Oh by YWHW, bad parents are the worst. I've even heard Teachers say they can't use the "I'll call your parents" threat anymore, because their parents simply don't care.
I seriously worry for our generation because of it. And let's not forget the next generation's kids.
Y'know things are bad when 19-year olds sound like old grampas.
Yep it's bad when a 19 year old sounds like a grandpa but it's true. I've volunteered for awhile and I'v met too many kids with different backgrounds that act like it. It is troubling to think that its gotten to this point but I think it shocks me more since I wasn't raised that way. I was raised to respect other and have manners when I'm out as a child. I just hope the few kids that are raised well will continue on that mindset instead of getting lazy about raising kids.

Having worked in an Autism Therapy Center before, and had three childcare placements I have never ran into a case like this... :/
Am I just lucky? Did you get put in a bad school/class?
Lol you were lucky. I started out volunteering with the school staff during gym middle school since kids with mental and physical disabilities. They were good kids but it was sad that I was made fun of for actually hanging out around them. We shared the Gym with them and try having 4 class worth of students on one half of a basketball course. All because they didn't want to anywhere near the other kids :( But I enjoyed the three years of helping them out. But as for the kids I've unhappily dealt with it may be because of where I live. It's not that great of a place to live, schools are terrible, unemployment is still pretty high and so is homelessness. So environment may be a factor.

I was Staff at a summer camp this year (and almost certainly will be next year), and I guess I was pretty lucky too. Over several weeks and almost a hundred kids, I can only think of one that was particularly troublesome. Thankfully he wasn't in my cabin, but I still had to deal with him occasionally. He'd do stuff like insult the staff (usually behind our backs but we tended to find out anyway), get into fights with other campers, constantly stick his nose into staff business (we had a lot of drama this year and he wanted to interfere with it), and so on.

I would hate him, but he had a seizure three fourths of the way through the week and sobered up after that, so I actually feel bad for him.

When people, especially family members, move my stuff somewhere else without asking and then don't tell me about it. And then when they see me running around looking for it, they don't say anything until like bloody 5 hours later when I've already given up the search. Seriously, what the hell? All you had to do was tell me you were gonna move it and where to and there wouldn't have been any problems.

It's even worse when they forget where they even put it. I couldn't tell you how many times I lost something because of that.